Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

Comments

• Weight loss now a great difficult for most of people , but its solve by using monavie juice that is really more helpful and tasty.MonaVie is a nutritional juice made with a large number of acai berries commonly found in remote areas of Amazon and 18 nutritious fruits.Thanks for very good info about weight loss.

• I confess I did not say no to the braised steak and dumplings, nor the three fondant fancies and flake.. I passed up the wine but that's because I don't drink. image

I did run 7.5m yesterday morning but I suspect the dumplings soon helped me regain those lost calories (and more). 

Back to it today tho'. 

• imageI got dumplings today with Lamb Casseroleimage Only had fruit this morning thoughimage
  • Hey losers,

Sounds like a lot of us have that Monday back to it feeling today.  Although I still have half a chocolate cake at home that someone will need to eat up.  Stu - few good with the only fruit!  I have been relatively good - only 1 fun size Milky Way from a bag of them someone has in the office.

The whole WW points thing just seems a bit too complicated for me, I think I'd forget!  But I know people who absolutely swear by it.

I think I'll head out for 7 miles off road this evening as it's looking a bit drier underfoot. 

• Well Puffin, when you have stuff like bag of funsize Milky Way in an office and you only have one, you are doing good. I would struggle with just one in that situation. 7 miles will put the MW to rights I reckon.

Dog will be walked twice ntoday too coz not been on my collectibles round.

• Good evening losers, Stu the choc brownie recipe is healthy, hand on heart. You just have to be strong and only eat one at a time. You can freeze the rest.............Well done on the 2lb loss and the run/walk. Lucky dog you have too!

Gymbunnie welcome aboard. I count calories, i think WW is just a bit money making scam but i know it works for some. As far as the number of calories i agree it's a fine line. I'm currently up to about 20 miles a week again and am eating between 1500 and 2000 a day, losing a couple of pounds a week. Admittedly some runs i feel a bit weak but i'm sacrificing speed for distance at the moment. How many miles are you currently running? I think what Yersinia says makes sense.

Ha ha Katy you make us sounds like eaters anonymous! Pictures are always good motivation image

Puffin ebjoy your run this evening, watch out for potholes! And remember your gloves, mighty nippy out today

Yersinia your menu had me dribbling. mmmmmmmmmmm

Gazagirl it was just one day and back to it today as you say. Wow i haven't had dumplings for years, don't let Mr T hear you mention them or he'll be wanting me to make them....

Amazingly i am still being able to resist, this thread and the party dress challenge at work are really helping, weigh in for me in the morning.
  • Afternoon all

Went out for a run today did the 3.38 mile route again starting at the gym then went in for a swim

Not too bad with the eating over the weekend i am back up to 13st 1lb but that still low than i was this time last week so still quite happy

• Evening all,

Stu - it wasn't all good, I finished off the chocolate cake at home this evening, so the Milky Way now seems like a very small thing.

Julia - well done for keeping going, fingers cross for the weigh in tomorrow.

Toby - excellent to hear about the continued weight loss!

Was frosty cold out tonight, but I not only had gloves but also my new long tights - I have always worn 3/4 length before even in the dead of winter but really liked the londer ones today, they kept my ankles well protected from branches and nettles.

Did anyone else see the programme on BBC1 at 8.30pm tonight, it was looking at whether the government should tax unhealthy foods more.  I'm not sure and the programme didn't seem to come down on one side of the debate or the other.  I do think that high fat and sugar foods should be treats rather than every day and a higher price may make them seem more luxury.  I also don't buy the argument that it negatively impacts on poorer people as I do think you can shop just as cheaply if not more cheaply focusing on veg etc as long as you sacrifice convenience and cook from scratch.  Cheap junk just seems cheap because you can buy so much but it has very little nutritional value.

what does anyone else think?

• Didn't see the programme - I might try to catch it on i-player.

Sounds like the sort of thing the devolved Scottish government would try to attempt to pull Scotland's abysmal public health record up.

My duck feast has resulted in lots of remains for lovely hearty soups and stock. My soups always seem to run away with me. I just keep bunging more and more stuff in until I have enough for several days. It's all good stuff though. Filling and warming but not too calorific.

Have the swimming losers seen this? Nice little challenge for the winter - there's a thread about it on the triathletes' forum.

• Morning all

Late one again today i was going to up my run to 4.75 miles today but now will have to see what time i get up i may well just go for a swim#

Sorry did not see the program as I was at work i must admit we do keep are freezer stock up it’s more of a case of the time restrictions we sometimes find our self’s under i don’t always have time to cook from scratch and so it has to be a case of what i can stick in the oven
  • i saw it puffin...not sure what i think really...think it's part of a bigger social issue - naughty things are fine as part of an otherwise healthuy balanced diet...but unfortunately not everyone understands, has the time or thinks they can afford that...mind you...for a lot of people it's a choice...like i know that the curry for 2 on a friday night is calorific!!! the thing that gets me is those who are given all the information, advice and support in the world, put their health at serious risk and then have a pizza! you can take a horse to water... if anything I'd rather they taxed cigarretes even more (or ideally ban them!)
  • Yersinia - that looks like an interesting challenge, I might give it a go, it's something to work at!

Katy - do you think that given the media focus on obesity and junk food anyone can genuinely say that they didn't realise that a lot of foods are bad for you?  You're right it is a choice, and I wonder if it is possible for the government to legislate to force people to make better choices?  I hate cigarettes too but I don't think the government could afford to ban them - they'd lose all the tax revenues!

• I think people have problems visualising the reality of consequences that are quite a way down the line.

If you have a Mars Bar from the vending machine today, you won't see any immediate effect, but if it becomes a daily habit then it could contribute to major lardiness. It's much the same as financial prudence really - People have difficulty relating small extravagances to major long-term effects.

Hell, I know the numbers better than most (ex-scientist - worked a bit on heart disease and nutrtion), and I still manage to put on weight if I'm not making a conscious effort to be healthy. I don't gain particularly fast, and there always comes a point when I'm not too far in the red when I decide to deal with it, but if I can't manage to keep to a healthy lifestyle, I'm not surprised that others can't either.

My problems are portion control, too many bready things, butter on veg etc, slightly more booze than I should. Nothing drastic or manifestly 'unhealthy'. I also get into habits of idleness, particularly following poorliness or injury,

I worked out the other day, that you'd only need to eat 135 calories per day above your maintenance requirement to put on a stone per year. It's not much - a medium glass of wine, a yoghurt, or a small pack of crisps.

• I think taxing unhealthy foods is the sort of 'half-cocked' impressive sounding government initiative that sounds good but totally misses the point.

We have moved away form traditional approach to cooking and exercise that was quite good for people. Both partners work in most households and there is little time to shop for fresh ingredients and cook from scratch, or it requires a lot of effort on top of a working day. It's all processed, refined and prepackaged or even delivered. It's great for McTesco who are getting fat on the profit of cheap mass produced foods.

And how many people use the car and wouldn't even consider walking to get the papers even though the shop is 5 minutes away?

We live in a society where food is cheap and plentiful and exercise is unnecessary.

• I don't have a car, I cycle or walk everywhere and always cook from scratch. But I'm still a porker.

A tax on junk food wouldn't have any effect on that.

• JBiT wrote (see)

We live in a society where food is cheap and plentiful and exercise is unnecessary.

eggsacklyimage

Also we swallow some rubbish in ads. How can a Mars Bar help you work, then rest, then play?image

Yip -the ground breaking message that smoking is bad for you hasn't really stopped many people. I think government actually knows this too. They promote a way to stop that utilises the "tobacco industry" also(NRT). They never promote ways that  are not involving  a "product" of some description . All a bit dodgy if you ask me.

Why do many diets have "products" attached? It aint about health it is about money. No good having a solution that wont make profit or tax is there?

• Interesting thoughts, it seems that most think there is no easy answer and taxing a problem is not necessarily going to change habits.  JBit - you're right about not needing to exercise any more, and as Yersinia points out portion control is a big part of weight control too, you don't need to be munching on junk to be eating too much - I can certainly do that just with toast!!

Good intervals session for me tonight 5 x 1200m okus warm up and cool down and a rest day to look forwards to tomorrow as I'm going out for dinner!

• Who decides which foods are good for you an which are bad if we didn’t eat everything they said was bad for use we go hungry and the trouble is they keep changing their minds as to which foods are good and which are bad
  • mmm -portion control is important. Major prob is overeating (often for psychological and psycho-social reasons) and under-moving (often for technological and sociological reasons -change of nature of work, the car  etc).

Stuff we saw as "treats" as opposed to "proper meals" are often  seen as meals in themselves. You have kids now that define crisps and chocolate as their "lunch" or "tea".

You are right Toby , what is bad or good changes. One guide to be "good" surely is nutritional value.

• I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum, but here goes. I'm a 52 year old sloth who weighs 16st at 5'4". Having lurked around for long enough, I feel the way forward is some kind of forward motion, running. Where do I start? Both in terms of loosing the weight and beginning to become a runner. Very low at the moment so need something very simple to start. If I'm not in the right place, will you point me in the right direction? Thank you so much. Clove
  • hi clove...well done on biting the proverbial bullet! deciding to put yourself out there is the hard bit!

probably the best place to start is one of the walk/run programmes in the beginners section of the training bit of this website...it'll give you a plan to follow so you can track your progress (it's all individual so don't worry if you stay on one session or week plan longer than it says! do what's right for you!) and build up to longer periods of running.

most important thing is take your time, build up slowly (that way you'll be able to keep going, hopefully without injury!) and try and get some decent trainers (i recommend going to a running shop for advice and then googling their recommendation to find it cheaper!! image )

good luck and welcome to the world of running! image

• Or if you have really been slothful, it might even be best to start with brisk daily walking - I find that walking fitness and running fitness translate pretty well, and it could put less strain on your muscles and joints. Once you have lost a bit of weight and can comfortably walk for an hour, you could start something like C25K.

Of course if you're already walking fit, and eager to start running, there's no reason not to try that  straightaway, but it might be tough if you're very overweight and not even walking fit. Once you do start to lose the weight, you will have the advantage of having muscles and joints that have been used to supporting 16 stone, so should manage the extra strain of running.

As for diet - it helps to have a think about your current diet and situation. What are your pitfalls? What treats or comforts do you feel you couldn't do without? Are you prepared to cook from scratch? What are your goals? That sort of thing. Different diets work best for different people as they fit in with their lifestyle and preferences - there's no magic formula of "cut out X, Y and Z" for top results, beyond the simple fact of consuming fewer calories than you expend.

• Hi Clove,

I am doing the run/walk mar schedule from Bingham's book "Marathons For Mortals. Very good and doable I would say.

Yes start very very slow and get some decent running shoes. Just go for moving a bit and keep portions downimage

• Did my six-week weigh-in this morning - 79.7kg!

That's 1.5kg down this week after last week's Nigella-induced stasis, and my first time under 80kg in this campaign. 7kg lost in total - just over a third of the way to my target of 20kg to lose.

I have 4.3kg to lose to reach my Christmas goal, and it's looking feasible. Hurrah!

• Hi all,

Welcome along Clove - I have little further advice to add to what others have said, it's great to have taken the first step and got started.  If you are going to start running do make sure you have decent trainers, go to a running shop and get fitted as they can make all the difference to a happy life of running and being injured.

Yersinia - well done on your weight loss - hope you do make it to your goal by Christmas imageimageimage

Good news for me today too - I've lost another 1lb - 12 more to go!  At this rate it will take ages as I only seem to be managing 1 every 2 weeks!!!  I also did a presentation at work this morning that I was very nervous about and it went very well so I'm on a bit of a high - must remember not to translate that into rewarding myself with food when I go out tonight!

• Yay! Great stuff, puffin!

There are lots of things you could reward yourself with that aren't high cal.

I'm going to reward myself for the sub 80kg with a nice woolly headband.Lovely knitwear is the only thing that keeps me going through the winter, and although I have a fat head, that aint likely to reduce with the dieting, so it'll have long-term use.

I forgot to add that I did my winterswim baseline measurement yesterday. I was even slower than I thought I'd be, but hopefully I'll be able to make substantial improvements with continued weight loss and regular trips to the pool.

• Evening losers, lots to read i see image

Well I am now 12 stone 5 so have lost 6lb since we started. Pretty happy although would have liked more.

I shall now read back and see what you've all been up to...........
  • well done Puffinand Juliaimage

I am still only 2lb down and had egg and chips with "5" bread with butterimageimage

• Aha Puffin, you can't beat a pair of long legs! Well done on the weight loss and the presentation image

I saw the programme and thought that the supermarkets should stop doing all the special offers on unhealthy food and producers should stop making such big packets of things! A tax on unhealthy food may be a good idea but only if they decide to reduce the prices on the good stuff image That's my views so there!

mmm Yersinia, are you still eating your soups? We had beef stew, i bunged in loads of veggies and what's left will get liquidized for soup tomorrow. Oh help, just read on, there is no hope for us is there! 135 cals a day? eek. I'm hoping tho that once i get to my goal i'll be able to do as you, keep it under control the minute you hit a high weight.

Waves to Toby - do you remember Edwina Curry telling us eggs were bad for us ?!!!??

Katy my 16 yo Daughter wonders why they don't just ban cigarettes. I tried to explain the tax situation.......!

JBiT i totally agree with you. Perhaps the producers should be encouraged to make ready made food more healthy, all the 'low fat' stuff is bunged full of sugar to compensate.

Oh Stu, you had to mention mars bars didn't you!

Welcome Clove you are in the right place here! Taking it slow and building up slowly would be my advice, also, if you keep it up and get hooked on running (it's horribly addictive i should warn you!) then it's worth making sure you are wearing the right trainers. Running is only part of losing weight though, you need to watch what you're eating. It's well worth keeping a food diary and weighing everything to see what you're eating and then deciding how much to cut down by. Have just read on and seen everyone else has already given you heaps of good advice image

YERSINIA just read on, fantastic elastic, well done image