Options

Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

Comments

• Options

Happy 50th Birthday Toby image hope you had a good one image

Not done any running just lots of walking.....Poppy has taken over my life image

• Options

Thanks Booey yes it was very enjoyable

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Toby.

i'm still hovering around 9st9 to 9st11 most weeks, that's pretty much where I want to be.

• Options

Afternoon all

Just 5 miles for me today again i had ago at maintain a sub 8m/m pace did alright for the first 3 all coming in at around the 7:51 mark the next 2 weren’t too bad having an 8:14 and an 8:06 this did how mean that the Avg pace was 8:03 still long time to go yet and it’s a good start

Having said there would be no more PB attempts this year i have now decided to have a pop at my time when i run Cricklade in October

• Options

no running for me yesterday had a rest day will have to get up a little earlier today to fit my run in before i go back to the dentist to have the second filling done

• Options

Afternoon all

just 3 miles for me today and to make shore i got them done it was get out of bed and straight out the door dentist later oh joy

Had have to have another go at a PB as i got my weight watcher leader into to this running lark she had never run before so back last January i gave the couch to 30 minute plan my wife used when she started

my Leader ran the Bradly Stoke 10k last Sunday her first and is now on about taking me on for pace next year when she runs it again and she also going to enter the Bristol H/M next year

so i need to keep on top of my game

• Options

Evening all

well got this month’s 20 mile run done but have to say i hit the wall at mile 13 and had a little walk and big time at just under 18 so i ended up run walking the last two the whole thing took me 3:18:18 with an Avg pace of 9:53 so a lot of work need there

• Options

Ran a total of 12.5 miles this week over 5 sessions and put 3lb on. How?

• Options

I weighed for the first time in a long time 4 weeks ago.

I promised myself I would now weigh more often, and so far have weighed every other Friday.

So I weighed yesterday and I've lost 6 lbs in the last 2 weeks (8 lbs total in the last 4 weeks).  Happy with this, and hope it will continue at around this rate for a little bit longer.

Another 2lbs means I will have lost 10 stone in total.

• Options

hi Clive done that myself i think the trouble is we run and we get hungry so we still eat the same if not a little more so the weight ether stays the same or goes on the only way i lost the weight i wanted to (3st 1lb) was to control what i eat as well as the running as the running alone wasn’t doing the trick

Simon what a great result you must be dead chuffed

• Options

Hi Toby, you're right. I had quite dramatic weight loss to begin with nearly 12 lb but I've put 4 lb back on recently which is slightly discouraging. Still, it's early days. Cheers!

• Options

I've just restarted running, was 15 stone/95.9kg 2 weeks ago, hoping to knock about 2 stone off over the next few months.

• Options

don_gato welcome to the thread keep us posted as to how it's going

• Options

good result at my weight watchers weigh in lose 2lbs i put on last week plus and extra 0.5 lbs so now done to 10st 5lbs which is about a low as i want to get

running wise chicken out of the 10 miles i was thinking of doing today and  opted for 8 in the instead  got around in 1:11:27 avg pace was 8:40 but the best thing was all the splits were in the 8's so looking good for pacing my friend around  the Bristol H/M in September

• Options

Hello All

Haven't been online here but just thought I'd show my virtual face.  Ongoing lower back problems mean running has been at a minimum, which peeves me off in a big way; also meaning that keeping off all the weight I lost in 2012 is a constant struggle.  I've mostly been hovering just under 170lbs, which I am "OK" with, but would ideally would like to get down well into the 150's again.

Hope you are all well.  Keep up the good work!

• Options

Afternoon all

well i did 5 miles yesterday not the quickest I've covered that course but the splits were where i wants them as I’m going to pace my friend at the Bristol HM and try to get them there first sub 2hr half this will be the 3 year we had ago at it the first time out she knocked 21 minutes of her time but we missed out by 2 minutes

i put that down to the heat it was a really hot day and we both struggled and don't get me going on last year just let’s say she never try very hard and paid the price missing it by a 43 seconds but this is the year she wants a sub 4hr at Brighton next year so is in a more determined frame of mine so it's looking good

i  was going to do a gym session today but have only just got up i haven't slept this long in ages but the problem now is i will be having to think about  going  back to work soon so the gym session won't get done today so i may just walk to work for a change or even dig my bike out

JBL 3 nice to hear from you sorry the back still not right hope you can get irt fixed soon

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I had a bad week, don't know how managed to gain 2 lbs.. OK I do know... a few sweets after a half marathon on Sunday and an ice cream each night... Just goes to show that you can never get complacent ran 26 miles in the week and gained 2 lbs.  Weight isn't one of those things that just takes care of itself, at least not for me, I need to be on the ball 5 days out of 7 to stay on top of it weekly. 

• Options

Down to 92kg/14st 7 so half a stone down on a few weeks ago which is nice image

• Options

don well done you

• Options

I've cut my food down a lot and been getting my runs in for the last 3 weeks. Haven't lost a pound. I'm massively overweight, so would have thought I'd drop some of the excess quite easily for a while. Getting fitter, but a bit gutted about the weight, although I feel like I'm toning up  a bit, losing little bits of fat here and there. Why no difference on the scales?

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Biggun sometimes at the beginning of exercise you do seem to keep the weight then it just goes in a big lump.

I know you say you've cut down a lot, but unless you actually count calories it's very difficult to actually tell if you've cut down enough. I don't want to sound disheartening.  If I was you for one week i'd try to actually calculate the calories of everything that you eat and drink... Remember to include drink I don't know if you are drinking alchohol or not, that usually has a lot of calories in it, along with things like fizzy drinks.  (Unless you go for the diet varieties).

As a ballpark, you need to drop around 3,500 calories a week from a normal amount of calories, to lose 1 lb a week on average.  So if a bloke the daily allowance is around 2,500 and for a woman 2,000 you need to drop at least 500 daily from that, so around 2000 / 1500.

It's tedious counting the calories in whatever method you want to use, but it becomes habit forming.  I lost a lot of weight via WeightWatchers (no meetings just using their app on my phone) and running.  But basically it doesn't matter how you count the calories, just count them strictly for a week. 

It's amazing the changes you can make that help.  It's tedious but hunting out good diet versions of food can make a real difference to the calorie intake.

I also found I struggled to loose much weight if I eat much bread, especially processed stuff.  All the bread we eat in our house now we make ourselves, if we don't make it, then hard luck no bread with X.  Cuts down on the amount we eat, and it's nicer stuff when we do have it. 

I'm sorry if it sounds like i'm teaching you to suck eggs... I don't meant to be, but it really is something that you need to work hard at to begin with to make a difference.  There are so many ways you think your doing ok, and find you aren't when you count all the calories up in a week.

Also don't over-estimate how many calories you are burning with running, it's also no good running really well, from a diet perspective running a great 5k and then swigging a sports drink with 500 calories in it. You would have been better off from a diet point of view watching TV and eaten an apple.

Concentrate hard for one week and see if that helps to kick start your weight loss.

Good luck!

• Options

Appreciate that booktrunk, I'll have a go. I know I've only cut down, and not been too strict on myself. I'll start on that, I'd like to 'live the life' for a while and see what I'm capable of. As for 'sucking eggs', I'll take and be grateful for any good advice. Cheers. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Your welcome.

I know it's hard March 2012 I was 15st 8lbs.  I now hover between 9st 7 and 9st 13.  I know it isn't easy to loose the weight, but good luck.

When I decided to diet and take up running I got serious.  I have relaxed a lot over the last few months, but for the first six months I was very strict no sweets or chocolates at all for 6 months.  Now I have lots of treats and i stay in my range if i get near the top i then behave myself for a week drop back down etc... but the first week or two are the hardest but they really pay off.

Personally I picked payday, as i thought eating "healthily" might be more expensive, so come pay day. I threw out all sweets and chocolates, got a fruit bowl in the living room, and ever since then i've always had fresh fruit availble for if I want a nibble.  It's things like that which help a lot.  Yes the fruit has calories, but it's taking a bit of effort to eat it in the first place, and it's way healthier then processed sugar in sweats or sausage rolls, etc... image

If you have a smart phone there are loads of apps out there like myfitnesspal that you can use to track calories.

EDIT: If you don't have a smart phone and want one, it's the perfect excuse to get one. image

• Options

*Sidles in sheepishly*

Um. Hello. It's been a while...

Been stupidly busy at work and haven't found any time to keep up with what's happening on the thread, but I'll try and track back over the last few pages to find out how you're all getting on.

I took three or four weeks off from running to allow my foot to recover (metatarsalgia). Seems OK now and I'm back running. It's worring how quickly I lost the fitness/ability to run though - it took me a week or two to get back up to 10k and I'm nowhere near my PB times. Hoping I'll be able to get back up to scratch soon.

I've also added a few lbs, which ain't good, but I'm aiming to shift them over the next month or so. Weigh day on Sunday will mark the start of the new regime!

Next up is the Llanelli 10k (Sunday week), Swansea 10k (Sept) and Cardiff Half (Oct), then nothing until the Paris Marathon in April, all being well.

Hope everyone's OK and enjoying their runs.

• Options

That's superb what you done there booktrunk, must have changed your life massively.  I'll download that app on to my phone today. Did you come back to running or was that your first proper go at it, last year?

• Options

word nice to see you back glad the foots better

• Options

booktrunk, you are an inspiration! How tall are you? I'm trying to lose weight. I've been quite strict for about a month but I find it hard to sustain. Any tips? Can feel my old habits  (wine and chocolate and just too much food generally), creeping back in. I've only got about a stone to lose or stone and a half tops. I find as I get nearer to the target it's harder to keep going. I've lost 4 pounds over 4 weeks, it's just sustaining the lower calories etc that I find tough....

• Options

Afternoon all

well after saying there was going to be no running this
    weekend i didn't count wife having a different idea's so we were out the door this morning for what should have been 7 mile run  which in the end turn into 8

• Options

weigh in day at my weight watchers meeting today put 1lb on from last weel so still well with in my target weight area of between 10st5ls and 10st 7.5lbs

running wise as it was such a lovely day today decided to do10 miles went OK i had decided not to look at my watch every 5 seconds and only look at the pace at the end after i had down loaded it have to say i was a little disappointed with the splits as i thought the run felt faster

• Options

Do you log your runs in 'My Fitness Pal'? I've put my calories in at 1800 a day, but when I logged my run today, it let me have another 500 calories. I shouldn't have this extra if I want to lose weight, should I?