Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

Comments

• I bought new jeans today - a 36 inch waist! I was a 44 in January! I love running!
  • Mark - v v impressive

I weighed 13st 1 lb today after my long run so thats the benchmark.  Looking to lose a stone by xmas.  Will weigh self weekly after long run.

• Well done Mark - that's great.

I'm not sure I want to run 9 miles everytime I fancy having a chip barm.  I'll be fat, but about 3 inches shorter image

xxx

• Evening allManaged huff and puff a slow 5 miler today took me 52 minutes so very pleased
  • Hi all, just checking in, good to hear that lots have got out there for a run today.  Perfect conditions again tonight, not too cold and no wind to speak of where I am.  I'm not looking forwards to the Wednesday weigh in this week as I don't think I'll have lost anything but we'll see.

Following from the discussion about cinnamon and grapefruit I have read that turmeric and chilli are also supposed to help speed up your metabolism.  If that's not a good reason to cook up a big curry then what is??!

• I think i've heard that about coffee as also, because of the caffeine. It's supposed to improve your (running) performance as well.

Had a long lunch and cemented week 5 with a 2nd run. I love flexi-time. It seems so good to be in an office one minute and running around a nature reserve the next, when everyone else is at work (or should be, how dare they invade my public space). I hope I've lost a bit today as well, I had a reasonable weekend overall but today I've eaten better (roast Chicken with lots of veg) and just the one pint. I weigh in every day but have a weekly bet with my sister, so Tuesday mornings are more important.

My winter goal is to run 6 miles a couple of times in the week, increasing that gradually on a long Sunday run and have an easy 3 mile jog home from work on Mondays. I think the lifestyle will naturally evolve around that as a routine.

• image got on scales and have stayed the same image and i thought i was doing so well too.....it's all those little things. a square a chocolate. a fairy cake (or 3). glass of wine. banana cake. crikey! i was lucky not to put on! So it's time to start writing it all down from now.

One cup coffe, white 2 sweetners, 1 glass beetroot juice, duly noted!

And i shall run 5 miles today and try and speed up. Mr T is coming out too so that will make me quicker!

Zara i have too many bad photos so i've no need to join Mel there!

Mark mega news on the trousers image

Andrew perhaps i should get back on the scales after todays run. I'm always less then. or is that cheating? image

Waves to Jess and Toby

Puffin it's vegetable curry for tea then image

JB hope it was good news for you this morning

• Julia dont worry too much I stayed the same too! Although you tried alot harder than me this week. Sometimes it just happens like that, however don't forget muscle weighs more than fat!!

Toby well done - I intend to do a gentle 3 or 4 miles with my eldest son tonight (my 2nd run in a week, actually 2 and half years) image

Good luck to everyone else - keep going! 

• Well done Mark

imageJT but stick at it, you know that slow progress is the best. Can I just sayimage to beetroot juice!!

• I've given up weighing myself for about a year now, I used to get too depressed when I weight more than I thought I should.

In 2004 I weighted over 24 stone, and to cut a VERY long, ugly and messy story short, I lost circa 10 stone, and have been around and about that for a few years now.

I just can't continue beating myself up by getting depressed and dispondent when I have gain a lb or 2, and now use the "do my clothes still fit" as a guide, lifes to short to be a slave to the scales.

I've also come to accept that, no matter what I weight, I'll still be, in my head, 24 stone.

Its nice to read all the happiness in this thread that losing weight gives people, but it also makes me sad to think that "we" are a slave to the "number", and its a lifelong, and futile (at least for me) experiance.

Anyway, enough from Captian bring-down!!!!

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Bum! Forgot to weigh myself last night! So I'll assume for now I'm still 212lb (15st 2lb). I did remember to look at my weight spreadsheet. Turns out I've been keeping track since Oct 2001 and at my lightest (Sep 2002) I was 192lb (13st 10lb). So that's  going to be my target for now - to lose 20lbs.

JT - you shouldn't be surprised to see me here! image It would be a good idea to get Mrs Wm to measure me so I can check on inches lost as well as lbs. She has trouble keeping her hands off me anyway <he says casually ..> image Sorry to hear you didn't lose anything this week.

Zara - I'm glad you like the idea of a photo. I think you see yourself in the mirror and can kid yourself about what you are seeing .. but a photo is somehow a bit different.

Mark - impressive shrinking waist you have there!

Andrew - my Sunday morning weigh-in used to be the 'best' time for me! I used to eat early on a Saturday as I regularly went for a swim and sauna in the evening. Then I would weigh myself first thing Sunday before breakfast.

JBinT - I do 'earlies' every 4th week and am home by 3pm. So it's nice to be able to run sometimes when its not dark.

Danowat - I only use the scales as a guide. As you'll have gathered, I'm more interested in what I look like (currently seeing a large middle-age spread) and how my clothes are fitting (have trousers that are currently too tight) than what I weigh.

*waves* to everyone else ..

• Good Morning everyone, just thought I would look in to see how everybody is getting on.

Cutting out all the crappy food during the week, eating things like nuts, oatcakes, ricecakes and extra fruit.  It worked a treat last week and before my run on friday I was down to 13st 6lbs.  Unfortunately I ruined it by having about 8 pints of lager, cooked breakfast and then buffet food in the evening on saturday.  Got back on the scales last night and surprise surprise back up just over 13st 9lbs.image

I would have thought by me doing over 40 miles running last week and being really good about what I eat might mean for just one day I could be bad but NO!!

7.3 miles in around 55 mins last night, had to stop to help a foreign trucker who was lost trying to find the Coca cola building in Foots Cray.

Keep up the good work everyone

• Danowat - That's just how I feel!!

1 1/2 years ago I weighted 25 stone, I decided to join a gym to get fitter and be able to run around with my daughter.

Starting at the gym I felt very self concious and could barely manage 10min on the bike! Over the months I persevered and slowly graduated up through the cross trainer to the treadmill.

I know weigh 15 1/2 stone, and regularly run between 6 & 10 miles. I completed my first 10k in a sub 1hr time, and have a few more races shortly. I'm also back playing rugby after far to long on the sidelines.

........BUT.....

As crazy as it sounds I too still think of myself as 25 stone! I have embraced the 'do my clothes fit' method as I would go in to days (or weeks) of depression if I put on as much 2 pound!

I would still like to lose another stone or so, but I know deep down if and when I lose that I'll still wanna lose a bit more!
  • I find my weight does fluctuate by about 3 lbs and I can lose that much on a run so you'll lose that in no time.

Resting today after 10 slow miles yesterday, gym tomorow lunch time.

Getting a bit sick of chicken wraps and need to avoid too much of my sons birthday cake tonight!

• Glad to see everyone is hanging in there.  It is a long and slow process.

I'm away this weekend for my folks golden wedding anniversary do.  They are actually having a lunch instead of a dinner, so that will certainly mean that I won't eat as much.  Someone will also have to drive, so I think I will volunteer as that way will limit my booze consumption!

On the good side, they live out of town so got some quiet roads to run around, so looking forward to that.  My dad (ex marathon runner now in his 70s) may end up joining me if I'm really lucky.

With all that in mind I will weigh myself on Friday, not been quite a week but then I'll get an idea of if my hard work is paying off.

On a side note, I find it interesting that some of you folks still feel like you are bigger when you have lost weight.  My problem is the opposite.  I always think I'm quite slim until I see the reflection in the mirror or photograph.  Then I'm completely gobsmacked.

C xx

• Hello! Can I join you? image

Bit of history - I'm a serial dieter. Although, I've never been back to my heaviest weight, which was 17 and half stone  image. About 8 years ago I joined a gym and got down to about 12 stone. It crept back up slowly, and I had a baby, back up to about 15. Reigned it in back down to about 13 stone, and have been up and down a stone ever since. I'm currently 14 stone exactly, having lost half a stone over the last 5 weeks or so. 

I'm 5' 10"  and my target is between 12 and 12st 5.  Any less than that and I look flippin awful!  I am currently just counting calories, aiming for about 1500 a day, give or take some depending on exercse. I'm running, doing a bit of swimming once a week, and trying to work on my core muscles (doing the plank!!) and on strengthening my legs (doing squats and lunges etc). 

My running history is similarly up and down. Started a few years ago but I have been stopping and starting with injuries (plantar fasciitis which I still have, albeit very very slightly now - it's manageable with stretching and massage) and a leg/knee thing which also seems to have resolved as long as I'm careful. I'm currently running a few times in the week (between 2 and 3 miles - which I'm hoping to improve on) and one longer run at the weekend (just over 4 miles last weekend). I'm aiming at doing a 10k at the end of this year, and maybe even a HM next year.

So yeah - that's me! Historically I tend to be good at weight loss, and very bad at maintaining it. I'm very all-or-nothing - and I need too learn how to be in the middle. I'm not great at moderation, but I'm learning! I either have brilliant willpower, or none at all, and I have a terrible weakness for junk food (hence the previous heft!). 

I'm weighing myself once a week (well..trying to to get hung up on it!) - on a Monday. And any buddies, tips, general motivation and laughs along the way would be lovely image

x

• Hi all, what's happened to the weather today - suddenly pouring down just as I'm getting ready to gom out for my run!!! 

Naughty chocolate bar for me at lunch but hopefully tonight's interval session should work that off.

Len - welcome aboard, know what you mean about the all or nothing, and don't you find that once you've had one bad thing it's really hard to stop yourself ditching the diet for the rest of the day?

• Slowsal = image  ha ha - that made me laugh. 

JT - Hope you're OK  - I know how disheartening it is to feel you've deprived yourself of treats or worked harder and there is no change.  I've not changed to a few months now, but I'm desperately trying to be positive and think well at least it's not gone back up.  Keep at it, keep your chin up (or in my case, my three chins up - ha ha) and it ill all pay off in the end.

Everyone else - hope you're all doing well.  Well done anyway image

Just about to sit and watch some telly whilst nibbling on a stick of celery! image

xxx

• First 8 min continuous run....and inspite of the rain image)! though got completely soaked and looked a sight when I got back into the house - luckily did not peer into any rearview mirrors along the way, otherwise would have been mortified - a red face and hair plastered to the scalp is not a good look on any day!

Gareth - know the feeling. Was once 11 st (currently 15 st 5) and never felt "thin". I think that the lack of feeling "thin" possibly contributed to the weight creeping back up again. This time I am throwing all my old clothes out as soon as they start to feel loose - that way I will have to keep my weight down to fit into any clothes at all + adapting Mels strategy of using photographs of self during weight loss.

Jamie - I feel for you! 40 miles of running a week  - I would have thought that would allow you to eat "treats" most days. Hopefully it will come of just as easily this week.

Btw does anyone know what is a good time to aim for a first 5K? Once I regularly get to running/plodding around for 30 mins, I want to increase speed, but I need a target time to focus on.

• Zara - about 30 mins is probably a good first step, unless you're already able to do that.  I means 6 minute kms.  Have you had a look at any of the plans on the training tab above?   They are useful for structuring your sessions and getting faster once you're up to running 20-30 mins non-stop regularly.

Good session for me tonight, I was feeling tired and slow a couple of weeks ago but took it a bit easier last week and feel like I've got ym Mojo back this week!!  image

• Evening all

Did an hour in the gym in the garage today and have now started to have smaller portions for tea also trying the smaller plate tick were by a smaller portion doesn’t look as small  

It is an interesting point that danowat raises I do think that people can become a slave to a number but more the young these days with the images that are presented to them but having read the post these no one here looking to become a stick insect

I think most people here are being realistic in their targets  

I myself get to a point where feel really uncomfortable and know I need to get my weight down and also have benefited from being lighter when it comes to the running side of things at the beginning of the year I was just over 12st and ran my fastest time for a half marathon the last 2 I have done I was 13st 3lbs and ran my 2 slowest races every and I know I had an injury that messed the training up a bit but carrying that extra stone in weight did not help

also heart trouble runs in the male side of the family so that an added incentive as my Garand father died way back in 1974 when I was about 8 he was grossly overweight and he had been warned but choose to ignore the doctor advice his weight was a contributing factor in his death at 64 and I have always remember it 

I also feel better in myself for being that much lighter have more energy and don’t get half as tired

I am under no illusion as to how hard it’s going to be by would not say it was futile and I think we all know it going to be a lift time battle to keep the weight down 

So keep  going every one if you have a bad a week or even a day don’t beat yourself up to put it in to running terms we all have a bad run now and again but we all keep at it as we all know the next run will probably be better

• Well done on the 8 mins Zara imageimageimage It won't be long at all now til you're not stopping at all! My first 5k was about 35 mins - and I have to say that I've never got any faster lol! I just keep taking longer to go further. Speed doesn't seem to be my thing...I'm going for endurance!! image

And I completely agree Toby! The trick I need to learn is to allow myself to have a bad day, without giving up completely and writing myself off. Make allowances and adjustments like anyone would, without thinking about it too much. Last weekend I went out for dinner (Nando's!! Mmmmm) and in years gone by I'd have either not gone out of fear of ruining y diet completely, or I'd have pigged out and gone mad because I had given myself permission to forget the diet. This time I decided to live like a normal person lol! I ran that morning, ate a really light lunch as I knew I was having a big meal later, chose sweetcorn as a side dish, and completely loved every mouthful knowing it was fine. Didn't have a pud either - I was full. Yay!!!

x
  • Well done Zara.

I have spent a small fortune on cloths! and i so wish i had taken pictures during weight loss
  • Len, as Toby says!!  That really is the key, making the changes that last and not seeing yourse;f on a diet cos that just makes us want to pig out!!

Toby - know what you mean about race results being part of the motivation.  I'd like to shave 5 mins off my half marathon time but know realistically that carrying less weight will help me to get faster I can't jsut rely on training.

• Great Len image

Sometimes I do the opposite, have something (a snack) just before I have to go out for a meal / out ith friends (half a banana or something) as then I'm not hungry so don't feel as though I'm 'being good' and because I don't eat as much - I usually don't spend as much either  - ha ha bonus!  And everyone sits around the table going "oohhh you don't eat much do you" (of course not knowing I'd snacked before). 

Like everyone - had ups and downs myself.  After a big weight loss in the beginning (which was very encouraging) I've not changed weight for a good few months now, but people still think I've lost weight, say my legs are thinner, waist smaller - so I measured myself and my body size had shrunk.  I'd lost 2 inches off my legs (when I told my husband, he said "what, you've lost 2 inches off your legs .... in height").  and waist.  So even if you're not losing weight, your body is probably still toning up and will be making a difference.

Good luck to everyone on here - I've found this thread really helpful and great to hear how everyone is doing. 

Back to dry crackers and celery now image

xxxx

• Hi all!

Thought I should join this thread.

I'm 24 years old and 79kg (~ 12st 7lb). About two years ago I used to be 60kg (~9st 6lb) and I'm trying to get back to that weight. I started running again about a month ago (I've ran Sheffield 10km, GNR and Men's Health Survival of the Fitest) and am regularly running over 10km 2-3 times a week. However, I realised that some of the biggest contributory factors to my weight gain were very large portion sizes, my sweet tooth and alcohol. Some I've decided to stop drinking (2 wks sober now), started calories counting and stopped eating sweets all together.

I'm hoping to lose at least a stone by December. Which should be managable as it's only just over 2 pounds a week.

C.K

• Morning

Zara - I agree that 30 mins is a good time to aim for 5k (not that I've got there myself yetimage)

Well said Tobyimage

Hi CK

• It is a lifelong battle, it it sometimes feels unfair that some people can eat whatever they like and not gain weight. But even in a battle there are good times when you win the occasional skirmish or one day hopefully even the whole war.

I'd say that if you have lost a great deal of weight as some posts state and you still don't feel great about your image then it might be a more deep routed issue and food is just an element of that, I wish you all the help in the world.

I also think though that it is a battle with yourself. (and I can be quite a tricky combatant pizza and beer are the issue) especially when it seems that McJunk Food, McSupermarket and McAdverting is committed to my downfall and eventual occupation.

Just take it one step class at a time and enjoy the journey when you feel your winning.

• Can I join in?

I haven't run for two years (used to post here occasionally, but that lapsed with the running) , and in that time have had back aches which led to comfort eating, inactivity and weight gain. I'm also pretty greedy and idle. I'm not that bothered by cakes and pastries and sweets, but I do like to slather butter on my veggies and bread, and mayonnaise on my chips. I also like to drink.

The net result, of, course, is that when I stepped on the scales a fortnight ago, I was my highest ever weight. I've started dieting, and hope to start running again in a week or two, muscles and joints permitting.

I swam for the first time in two years yesterday. Cycling is my first sport, and I have continued to cycle through weight gain, apart from the times when my back was totally crippling.

I'm a metric girl - much easier to work out BMI and percentage losses that way. When I've lost weight before, I've found I can safely lose a kilo a week while I'm really overweight, and it'll slow as I near target. 

Statistics:

Height 1.74m,

weight on 6th October 86.7kg,

weight on 20th October 84.3kg.

Goals:

Intermediate target (by Christmas) 75.4kg

Ultimate target 66.7kg

(I'm not really obsessively focused on the tenths of kilos, honest, but my scales measure them, and it gives a nice round 20kg to lose!)

Running / fitness targets: 30 minutes running and 1.5km continuous front crawl by Christmas, pool-based sprint triathlon in spring or early summer.