Options

potty potter fans enter the palazzo

paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
what will you be doing on Saturday - midsummer's day?

It's a while since I read the other books and need to control myself and just buy ONE copy for paskJ (age 11) who agrees with me (the books are better than the films)

I'm a bit miffed with JK however, who does she think she is, taking over the Solstice??!

And how can I watch any future films without Dumbledore as he was? (Richard Harris - he's gotta be my fave actor - and he died the weekend I visited Ireland for the first time to do the Dublin M last Oct!)

PaskJ & myself are walking up to the nearest Safeway at 7.30am Sat, clutching our "half price" voucher - they're only getting 160 in our store - i've paid me £1 deposit!

Comments

• Options
    I've pre-ordered two copies on amazon (one each for the boys, and so that me and mr frag don't argue over who reads it first!), and have decided to visit my parents in cornwall this weekend. Nevermind, will have something to look forward to when I get home!!
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi fraggle - how old are yours? with any luck Joe will be reading it on the beach! I'm assuming I can hold out for a paperback, adult cover, to match the others - we've got at least two of each of the others though - it's mad
  • Options
    Amazon for me, so I'll be waiting in Saturdsy morning, and might go to Borders in the afternoon - they have a special Harry Potter day.

Er, of course I'm doing all this for lil Cougie. Honest.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Are Amazon guaranteed to get it to you on Sat?

I'm working for 3 hrs on Sat from 9ish, but if paskJ isn't reading when I get home, I'll be in there

we are a bit cut-off down here, sparse population, so no special things as far as I know

our Tesco is open all night cos we're a holiday area - so I could buy at Midnight I think, but it's not Half-price! If I wasn't working Sat, I might've been tempted ...
  • Options
    Pashka - not guaranteed, but I saw that Royal Mail asked for people to be at home on Saturday morning so that they wouldn't have to take all the books back to the depot.

I'm hoping, but we'll see. Our big Tesco is a 24 hr one. Hard to believe that only a few years ago all our local supermarkets closed at 6pm ! Much easier this way.

And looks like you missed JK on Beeb 2 - she was on at 7.30 - the new book is something like 700 pages long and weighs in at a kilo !
  • Options
    MopheadMophead ✭✭✭
    Yes EP! - I waited a long time before reading them and eventually went through all four books in about four weeks. I really did enjoy them. Wish I had half of JKR's imagination!
  • Options
    I started reading them because my Dad read them. It's the first time I've ever seen my Dad so engrossed in a book that he read it cover-to-cover so quickly. Once I started reading them I was hooked. They're in a totally different league to the films. The films can't possibly have the same scope as the books.

I'll be waiting by the door for the postman on Saturday, Amazon has my order.

I feel sorry for the posties actually, they're going to have extra-heavy post bags on Saturday.
  • Options
    I am considering giving the postie the money I saved by buying from Amazon (from the list price).

Got to be worth it, instead of giving the money at Christmas?

I am all excited. Going to be like a kid
    again at Christmas.

Ok I'll admit it, I am Sam and I am a muggle.
  • Options
    oops sorry folks! didn't see this thread.

no offence meant just don't understand it

xx
  • Options
    Tee hee. Amazon have mailed me to say the package is on is way !!!!
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Alan - well it looks like you gotta be a little provocative to get the responses - although they're digressing on the other thread - Beckham etc!

yes, the hype spoils it, neither myself or paskJ watched the beeb2 prog last night interview with JK - Joe was out "playing" (that's one of the great things about living down here ...) and I was on here (although I've got a TV on my PC - I'd rather listen to the music!)

• Options
    Pashka....where did you get your half price voucher??????

EEeek.. wish i had pre-ordered from amazon too, when it all seemed so far away... FOR THE MOMENT HAS FINALLY ARRIVED (as all moments tend to..]
  • Options
    Never mind LDB - you can enjoy the thrill of visiting a real life bookstore to purchase it. Borders are doing facepainting.
    Er, you might need to shave a bit for that though.
  • Options
    [very hard stare at cougie]

i have sent the strongest vibes to Ms Rowling that she feature a badger in the ultimate denoument of the last book.

I can't believe that she-cub and I were out in the field exploring with the cats when J-K was with Jeremy. What happened? was it wonderful, did the b£stard dare to be patronising or was he in awe?
  • Options
    I think he fancies her.

He tried to get some insider info on the plots but she wasn't telling.

New book is maseeeeeve, but she reckons that no.6 will be smaller, and the last one will be bigger than Snoops little black book, as she won't want to let go.

Oh, and Harry goes dating ! Bleeeuch - girls ! ;-)

Yeah - not enough badgers so far in HP
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    LDB - I can send you a truck load of vouchers (well, about 30 left over leaflets to be precise) for SAFEWAY - as I got lumbered delivering their leaflets - any Safeway near you should have them - although there seems to be a list on the back of "participating" stores - they prob thought us lot down here might buy it if it was Half price - whereas up the line, people are going to buy it anyway ...

I still might go to Tesco at midnight though - just for the crack!! they wont say what price they're going to charge! and you cant reserve one with a quid, but they've got about 400 - see I done my homework
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Ordered mine online ages ago but it probably won't arrive until the middle of next week. Get mine delivered to work to guarantee that someone is there to sign.

Just started a new book this morning though so will be behind half the rest of the country by next weekend.
  • Options
    Pashka.... don't know if my safeway is participating...EEK!!! Is Malvern on your list?
    xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Gavo - amazon reckon the books will be there saturday am.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Anyone read the Wind on Fire Trilogy by William Nicholson?

1. The Wind Singer
    2. Slaves of the Mastery
    3. Firesong (not started yet)

The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold

Starseeker by Tim Bowler

My brother's ghost by Allan Alhberg

Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo

These authors are thinking deep thoughts and have much idealism

yet they are easy to read

give me a "young persons" book to read anytime in preference to - WHAT?

I've got a stack of them lined up - bought from the Book People - serious slashed prices
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    LDB - phone them up - not sure where you're near, but I've just re-read the blurb ...

Safeway are selling the book for £9.99 - the voucher is only for £1.50, which makes it £8.49 - half price
  • Options
    Thanks Pashka.
    xxxxx
    have you read Philip Pullman?
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much Tesco's are selling it for? Safeway's is cheaper than Waterstones or Borders.

Badger,
    I love the dark materials trilogy. His other books aren't so great. I lent my copies of the dark materials to my sister - she is now doing a masters essay on them! Doubt I'll ever get them back though.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    LDB - Ah now I don't know WHY I haven't yet - the first one is in a pile by my bed!

After HP - I seemed to be searching constantly for books for paskJ - and I bought them for him to read (he's 12 in Sept) he read the first two then abandoned the third (Subtle Knife) part way through! he may have been a bit young for them? they will get from the book on the level they're at, maybe got a bit esoteric for his age/stage?

He then read the more "action-packed" (?) Anthony Horowitz series about ===Alex Rider, teenage superspy! ===
    1. Point Blanc
    2. Skeleton Key
    3. Stormbreaker
    4. Eagle strike

I haven't read 'em!!

He's quite into myths & legends of all sorts now as he recognises a lot of the PS & PC games are getting ideas from trad sources!

• Options
    pashka....
    he may have been a little young. Lots of ideas and deep thoughts re religion.
    But its a treat in store for you.

Sounds like he's ready for Ursula Le Guin, and Susan Cooper dark is Rising set? OOh and all that gorgeous Alan Garner stuff.
    x
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Just been lurking on the H"F"P thread - you guys are getting very carried away - nice to hear it - instead of the usual mundane messages we chuckle out

seems we haven't mentioned Narnia - my 17 yr old bro' gave them to me for Cmas when I was 23 and living & working away in a hotel - what a joy they were in comparison to the work life!!

never really read as a child, (have since found out I was dyslexic - could spell perfectly, could even read aloud well, just got no meaning from the words, "sentence blindness" made no sense) so still lot of catching up to do

lived & played in a world of numbers instead
  • Options
    Good mention for Narnia there pashka.

where did numbers take you?

We had no TV in our sett til I was twelve...I read all the time, torch under covers at night even! Was lucky, parents bought us a book every week.
  • Options
    Narnia! Now there's a series just begging to be sneered at for reasons ranging from social stereotyping to blatant religious allegory. I LOVE it! My oldest daughter (just had her 12th birthday) is rereading the books, and I'm thinking about buying a set for Number 3, who is almost seven but is another print junkie. And if I buy them for her, Number 2 (who isn't much of a reader of fiction) will insist that she shares them with him.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    To sleep under the stars, to drink nothing but well water and to live chiefly on nuts and wild fruit, was a strange experience for Caspian after his bed with silken sheets in a tapestried chamber at the castle, with meals laid out on gold and silver dishes in the anteroom, and attendants ready at his call. But he had never enjoyed himself more. Never had sleep been more refreshing nor food tasted more savoury.

I rely on this knowledge!! money can take away your SOUL ....

I always wanted to go CAMPING when I was a child, but my dad had the tedious job of checking out hotels around Europe for a tour company, and we were dragged along and constantly told how lucky we were (dont wear that, eat properly etc etc)