potty potter fans enter the palazzo

Comments

• Cougie - can't believe your postie left it outside on the step!!! Doesn't he know that any idiot passing would know what was in it!!! Cripes!! Lucky you got to it first eh.

RE being too big for letter box -- now see, that's why I was waiting by the door when our postie came because sometimes if the parcel is too big for the letterbox the b*st*rd doesn't even bother ringing the bell.

But todays postie was a nice older man and I suspect he rather felt like Father Christmas - he had a right smile on his gob when he asked was it what he thought it was and I had my hand on the package trying to pull it away saying 'it is and I'm getting started right away' and he pulls it back saying he thinks he should get a fiver for eveyone he delivers and saying 'buggeroff' I snatches it away and he walks onto next door with another one laughing his head off!!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Nowt this morning but wasn't expecting it to be. Oh well, saves me logging it around tomorrow.

As long as I don't get to hear about the significant death before I read it.
  • Cath I didn't expect him to come so early ! I was listening, but never heard him at all. You would have thought I'd have heard the THUD ! ;-)
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I expected Cougie to have a vigil outside his house in expectation of the postie.
  • Cougie -- sounds like our usual postie - he definately wouldn't have either left the parcel or rung the bell, in which case I would have still felt fairly smug because it means he'd have to lug around 6 huge books and take them back to the depot. Not to mention having angry parents who'd probably lynch him next time they see him!!!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Ooh! Friends! I just had to jump up and down in a fit of pique in another thread. Sorry FLR - no offence, eh? :o)

Postie left mine in the porch. He was about 10 minutes late, so obviously had lots of parcels to deliver in the village! Bless.

But it's already got me hooked. Littl'un (12) and I are passing it between us as we do our errands and/or rest between them!

I personally think she deserves every penny she's made, old JKR.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi anybody out there, 38 chapters and 766 pages, numbers see, love 'em!!

Cath, tee hee you made me laugh

Juliejoo - young paskJ (11) and I have been able to "share" - so far - he's now outside with his pals AND he went to the cinema this morning whilst I was working, so even the eldest (17) sneaked a look

Reading in shifts, as it were, we're both on Ch 3

I was wondering what it is that keeps me reading ... I mean somes a bit corny, but somes very funny, visual, slapstick and quite racey, I mean you look at the size of the flippin thing, surely it should be shorter, more "tightly" written, but no, let other books have their lyrical style ...

Harry is just Harry and he's very real
    - sod the run, I'm going to read whilst I got the chance
  • 13 girl now on page 156
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Neck 'n neck with Littl'un then! I'm lagging behind at page 104!
  • Have not started reading it yet
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi there WW!! I'm hoping to do a "Ballbuster" today - RUN BIKE RUN having been fairly inactive for the past fortnight since the Discovery

JJ - Had a bit of a session yesterday – well mostly last night – having retrieved the book from paskJ’s room after he fell asleep

Now on ch 11 - page 188 - had to hand it over earlier!! I feel i'm back in the thick of it now - makes me wanna read the others again - so much detail and characters

love the parallel worlds - gossip & character assasination in the "Daily Prophet" etc

I know we must be careful not to give away any plot on here, young paskJ is quite good at asking questions - but I wont tell him!! it's the first time I've been ahead - and it probably wont stay that way - as I am a painfully slow reader ...

• 13 girl finished it 11 boy now on page 281
  • Finished it ?? Makes my page 15 look a bit lame !
  • coughie read faster boy 11 now on pg 324
  • SmitchSmitch ✭✭✭
    ....gosh, I have forgotten loads from the last book......had to remind myself what a "squibb" was again...
  • boy 7 reding hp3 on page 78
  • Lots of brilliant moments, a very lazy plotline or three, and it needed a hefty dose of editing - the beginning, and the denouement, ought to have been sharp and shocking but were very flabby. My 12-year-old said it was disappointing and the 6- and 9-year-olds can't engage with the adolescent stuff.

Maybe JK has reached the position that Iris Murdoch was at before she lost her marbles, when nobody dared edit her writing. I think the job requires someone with big teeth, and I'm just off to e-mail my CV to Bloomsbury.
  • coughie boy 11 now on pg 418
  • Think I got up to Chapter 3 last night before I needed sleep !(but I've been v busy - honest !)
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    be very careful, this book can do you serious injury, it fell on my head when I was in bed ...

bb - I am astounded at the pace of your young readers! haven't read much since Sat night / Sun morning - Ch12 page 200
  • pashka they have done nothing but read and will read it again and again
    hope you are not bruised
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Vrap - it took me awhile to assimilate your message!! does this mean you have managed to read the whole thing???!!!

how do you do it - you seem to have a v busy life!

i had to look up "denouement" in my PC COD

denouement /deI"nu;m2Q/
    · n. the final part of a play, film, or narrative in which matters are explained or resolved.
    – ORIGIN C18: Fr. dénouement, from dénouer ‘unknot’.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    bb - actually what happened was it clonked on my face when I was falling asleep reading!! I was sitting up reading at first, then gradually slipped down til I was holding the book (need good biceps)
    I wont lean on one side as mr pask has shoulder complaint from doing that

young paskJ reads quite fast (EVERYONE reads faster than me) and read the first 3 books several times while waiting for Goblet of Fire

but he wasn't interested at all until I left Radio 4 on in several rooms that Boxing Day 2000? 2001? when the whole of the first book was read aloud by ... er, name just fell out my head
  • OOoh - I got the tapes for XMas of that. But leant them to a small child.

Its Jim Dale that reads it for the US - him out of the Carry On Doctor films. How bizarre is that ?
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
  • I couldn't let it go to waste when Ivor and Angelmouse had both started it and declared, after a few chapters, that they would let the other one read it first. I'm quite a fast reader.

Kevin read this and The Lovely Bones and most of the literary output of James Herriot this weekend. At least she got dressed yesterday.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    WoW Vrap - how old is Kevin re The Lovely Bones? Did she enjoy it? strange to say "enjoy" for a book that was so sad really, I thought it was fantastic but it wouldn't suit paskJ (nearly 12 boy)