Birmingham 10K

Not much info on this and it says multiple laps - hw many?
And the web link takes you to a footbal website?
Is anyone else doing this race?

Comments

• Hi Knight

Im confused like yourself. I sent an email to the organiser a couple of days ago but no reply. I also beleive this is the same date as the birmingham half marathon so suprised a 10k is being held on the same date?

• DTS2DTS2 ✭✭✭
    It's the weekend after the Bham half.  I've entered but not too sure what to expect.  Think it is the first time it's been staged or the first time for a few years anyway.  Fingers crossed!
  • Here is a response i got back from the race organiser:

Dear James,You can enter on day, by reporting to Birmingham Alexander Stadium between 9 and 9.45am,cost £12.00 includes tee shirt and medal.The Birmingham half marathon is the week before our run.Free car parking (report to Nelson Car Park).Numbers expected 300/400.I have emailed back and waiting for a response. I was enquring the route as to whether this is just round the running track?
  • DTS2DTS2 ✭✭✭
    On the event profile for this it says surface 'road' so it must surely just start and finish in the stadium.
  • DTS2 i dont think that is confirmed. I have requested info on the route but no response. Not sure if this event will be well orgnaised perhaps looking from the website?
  • entered this race myself weeks ago , no number come threw yet i hope it is not a scam. 
  • keep me up dated if you hear anything Richard. The website looks rather strange? Not in a running event format?
  • no problem james going to try and phone them tomorrow.
  • just spoke to the person in charge,you will get a email on wensday and you pick your number up at the event. See you there fingers crossed.
  • Thanks for that Ricjard. Any news on the route?
  • I'd like to know details of the route myself too - The website doesn't really give much information out at all. It's only the website of the start and finish point so god knows where we're running around!
  • Course is multi-terrain. 4 laps of Perry park. Can't start/finish in the stadium due to building work.

If you'd like a course map e-mail /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]tuart.paul@usa.net]stuart.paul@usa.net  

• DTS2DTS2 ✭✭✭
    Can I have my £14 back please? image
  • Glad i not entered now. How can you pay £14.00 to run round a park?
  • Hi All. Does anyone know if its the inside or around the outside of the park ???. image

• Well that's great.

I entered this in good faith to make it part of a 101 mile challenge I'm doing for charity. (Mainly Half marathons, two 10Ks and the London Marathon) 

Not sure I am going to do it now and will need to find another race to do instead which messes up my race calendar. This all seems a bit rubbish......I would like my money back too! image

• Mollov

Conductive education 10km Is on same day, Cannon hill Park birmingham. course flat apart from first km which Is downhill.

• I'm not sure what to do now!  It doesn't sound very well organised and like many of you, I entered ages ago but have heard nothing since...

This is (was) to be my first 10k after setting myself a 6 race challenge this year (not as good as Mollov's!) but as a non runner at the start of the year, I am quite pleased to have come this far.  However, 4 laps round perry park when Villa are hosting Blues at midday, doesn't quit do it for me somehow!

Might have to swallow losing £14 and enter a proper 10k....

• Never knew about that Cannon Hill 10k but seeing as I'm more preparing for a 12 mile trail run, I'm still going to be doing this event.
  • How frustrating! This does not bode well at all. I entered some time ago and have not received any response to emails which I think in itself is disgusting when you have paid good money. Sounds as if they haven't  even decided themselves on the route it's so uncertain! Any point turning up you wonder? Shame as the last 10K I entered was v badly organised too and it's starting to put me off entering any more. image

• I know how you feel Carol - Sometimes I think it's just lack of communication really. They could be really well organised their end, sorting out payment, race number etc but we need to have some kind of feedback on some of the details of what is actually happening!

• Hi guys, been offline since last week and realised there have been a few responses.

I shan't be entering now, due to being full of colf for the last 7 days and also I'm still put off by this event. Had my doubts to start with and not really been convinced to change my mind (illness aside).

Giving it the title of Birmingham 10k, gives an impression that it will be a big event c.1000+ runners etc not just 4 laps of a park?

• Just spoken to Mark, the conact given.

He says confirmation emails should be coming out tomorrow or Wednesday, and we have to pick up numbers on the day.

• Hiya James. Could you please put a summary on here when received if got time as not sure if gona run or not. Many thanks john

• /members/images/580438/Gallery/10k_map_311010.JPG

The email came through tonight woth the above image attached.

Hi Mark,

I have just received the confirmation email for the race on Sunday.

Just a query.

The race is advertised as a road race, and it has been advertised as starting and finishing in the Alexander stadium.

What concerns me is that the race is neither a road race, it is essentially 4 laps of a public park.  The route you sent out doesn’t seem to go into the stadium at any point either.

I feel extremely disappointed with this, as I only do a few races each year, and plan my race diary around key events, to get the most out of the few opportunities I have to race.   The stadium factor was a major reason I chose the Birmingham 10k for myself and my wife.

I would like a full refund of £14 for both my wife and I as I feel you have not delivered what was initially promised.

Many thanks

James Franco

file:///C:/Users/Jo/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.Outlook/VEJPB7HY/10k%20map%20311010.JPG

• I have just entered the Cannon hill park race with my wife instead of this one.

I feel cheated that it was nothing like the race advertised.

• 100% agree. This has all been very misleading....... 

• Can't help but laugh though that the organiser felt the need to colour in the reservoir!  Doesn't look quite so appealing on google earth.

To be fair, I think the stadium is currently closed as they recently secured planning permission to redevelop part of the site to upgrade it for the US team for 2012 training base and have started work straight away.

I'll still be doing the race, most of it looks to be on paths around the park but I share everyone else's disappointment.  Not quite what I had in mind for my first ever 10k.

• DTS2DTS2 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me why we've been charged an extra £2 for online entry?  Especially as the numbers aren't being posted out and we still have to register on the day! 

I notice now from the email from the organiser that it seems to be called the Birmingham Charities 10k so hopefully all this money we've paid out (for a very different advertised event to the one that's actually being delivered) will go to a good cause. 

It would be good to hear some kind of explanation from the organiser to a lot of the issues brought up on this thread. 

• James Franco- I think you have hit the nail on the head. I was a bit suspicous when the entry page was a footballish type of website. I have been following events on here closly before deciding whether to enter or not. Glad not entered now.