Liverpool Parkrun

Comments

• The more parkrun events the better I'd say. I have now run 20 events at Coventry parkrun, but I am regularly on the Wirral at the weekend (this coming weekend included). Unfortunatley that means I have to miss my weekly parkrun fix. A Wirral parkrun would be fantastic news!
  • Which way do you go Liverbird??  Liverpool is easy to get to until you hit "The Rocket" then it's a crawl all the way in and parking is hellish.  I find it much easier to get to Manchester.

A parkrun in Warrington / Widnes / Runcorn / St Helens would be great.  Not sure where would be big enough to do it though (Spike Island is probably too wee and I'm not sure if Victoria Park has the pavements, Sherdley Park could be good)

Much respect to everyone involved in setting up and keeping Park run going.

• KevinMiller1976 wrote (see)

Which way do you go Liverbird??  Liverpool is easy to get to until you hit "The Rocket" then it's a crawl all the way in and parking is hellish.  I find it much easier to get to Manchester.

If the parkrun is held in Sefton Park it's quicker to turn left off the M62 and follow Queen's Drive directly down to the park, where there's quite alot of parking space.

Looking forward to this one being set up.

• Russell this is brilliant news, I'm sure a parkrun in in Liverpool will be popular and do very well.  January is a good time to get one started up too.
  • Russell great idea, most other cities have parkruns, am sure you will get plenty of support  from runners from the merseyside area,  good luck.
  • Great idea. I know Russell offline and have already said it to him. I'll hope to take part when other Saturday morning commitments allow.

Just a plea from one Liverpool runner to others: can you think about using public transport or running/cycling to Sefton Park please?

St Michaels station on the Merseyrail network is about 10 minutes (max) walk from Sefton Park. There are lots of buses that go to the park.

Those of you who know the park will know that there are only a couple of small parking areas and that when large numbers of people park on the curving perimeter road, with its already dodgy lines of sight, it becomes really hazardous for runners, walkers and buggy pushers.

I count myself as all of these at various points in the week and it really can get dangerous when it's parked up as it was last week for a youth cross country championship (I reserve special ire for the owner of the huge 4x4 who parked right across the pedestrian crossing closest to one of the park main entrances, the one right next to the children's playground. Selfish twunt).

Props to Paul for setting up parkrun (not Park Run, Parkrun, Park run). I think the other users were responding to the curtness/rudeness of his message on this thread. He's probably had to say it or copy and paste it many times before, but it did read as a slapdown to a volunteer working for the cause he's trying to promote.

ps. Is there any parkrun rule about wearing club colours? I would be happy not to wear mine if it was offputting to others wanting to take part. I was also thinking about the BMF groups that are always in the park at that time of the week (not sure what time but definitely Saturday mornings) and thinking that it would be really off putting to others if they were to turn up and run in their bibs/branded stuff. Though obviously good if they wanted to take part.

• There are no rules regarding what you wear, or even if you register as a member of your club or not - it's entirely down to you.

I'd say no more than half the club runners at our event wear their club vests, and even less when it's cold or raining, so it's probably no more than 20% of the runners wearing club colours each week. I certainly don't think it's an intimidating atmposphere because people say exactly the opposite to us - they always comment on how friendly and inclusive they find it, even if they're right at the back. Thinking about it (an entirely unscientific study) I'd say that most of the guys right at the sharp end don't wear kit, but the midfield club runners do more often than not, as do those right at the back. This is good because it shows the new runners that you don't have to be a fast runner to join a club, and so it's actually a good place to recruit new members. It does vary between clubs though - a couple of the clubs nearly all their members wear vests because that's the clulture in their club, whilst others never do. The triathlon club members certainly never wear their club colours, but you can spot most of them anyway as they still wear tri-style clothing (and they turn up on very fancy bikes!).

• Interesting, thanks Beware of the Fish.

I usually only wear mine for races (never training) and parkrun isn't a race is it? So I would probably not.

It was the BMF thing that sprang to mind first as they are very visible in that particular park on a Saturday morning - if they all turned up to run in their branded bibs it would look like a BMF event (and that's definitely not free).

And image at the comment about triathletes. You can always spot 'em in races. Always in the much fancier gear. Snorkels a dead giveaway. Clearly I have tri envy image

• Only just caught this thread - I'd be interested as a Wirral runner - Manchester seems that bit too far.
  • I would definitley be interested. I have recently joined a club here but the extra motivation from an organised run would be great.

I will keep checking the site for when I can register

Great idea!

• We are almost there. Funding is going well. In the process of negotiating the use of the park. Hopefully there will be some good news just before Christmas. I've set up a facebook page to make communication easier but I will post updates here and via email too.

facebook link

• When do you think the first one might be? I suppose I will just have to be patient. ha ha  I have a couple of friends who are also interested, but who dont come on here or do facebook.

• Only just found this. Great news.

I will not be able to attend most weeks, due to work, but it will be great to know when free on a Sat morning I can either run or offer help.

• Hi rachelhen,

We are busy negotiating with the council over permission to use the park. There's a meeting next week so I'll let you know after. Hopefully early January..

Hi Scooby, look forward to seeing you soon.

• Hope your meeting goes well, Russell - judging by tonight's snow, I suspect parkrun wouldn't be on tomorrow in the park image
  • Thanks  Swittle. I'm off out for a 10 mile snow run! haha
  • Hi Russel just wondering how things are going organising the parkrun?
  • I'll have some news on Thursday. It should all be good to go very soon. I've been bogged down at work and we've been waiting for a meeting with the Parks. Once we get permission and a quick training session we'll be ready! Sorry about the delay.
  • *News* As well as raising the required funds we have just been given permission to use Princes Park! parkrun is going to happen! All being well we are looking at starting the last week in March.  I hope you are all as excited as we are!

• Just seen your FB update

Woo hoo! image

I've never done one, so looking forward to doing a few ...

• Its fantastic, I am a little dissappointed that it isn't sefton park, but hey ho...must be good reasons
  • Excellent news Russell. Getting involved in organising a parkrun has been one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. It's not without its stresses and strains, but it's constantly inspiring.
  • We tried out best to get Sefton Park but it's over-utilised at the moment and there have been objections by local residents to the number of events taking place and around parking. Princes Park offers an ideal quiet enclosed route around the perimeter. Granted it doesn't have toilets or a cafe but we can always walk to Lark Lane after. Did I say walk? I meant run!

It's certainly going to be an adventure!

• It will Russell, I am just being silly,

well done!! Princes Park should be used more anyway it is a lovely park and as you say Lark Lane is near for breakfast afterwards ha ha ha

• mmm breakfast! My real motivation for running!
  • A sort of coffee stall on a trailer visits the Newcastle parkrun - full range of lattes, mochas etc. & just the ticket after a romp around the Toon Moor image
  • Cheers for the update Russell that's great news, I've never been into Princes park so it will be somewhere new to take the kids.
  • Great news. Big year for running in Liverpool.image