Bob Graham Round

Comments

• Peter - tbh the night recce was 'orrible: slushy underfoot, blowing a gale/raining on the ridges, could barely see cos the cloud was down & my headtorch was carp, heavily relied on others for navigation, wading through knee-deep snow coming off Helvellyn... - it was good though from the point of view of getting a feel for the general "shape and scale" of the fells, which is what will be important on my night-time Leg 2 in June (when hopefully the weather will be a little better!)

• Cheers Paul appreciate thoughti will look at them but the plan to do BGR still stands , be nice to have plan b though!

When in june yours doin yours Daz? away 8th to 23rd . if you doin b4 or after would like to do a leg or 2.Sounded gard the night run, you feel more or less confident after that? at the moment i doubting myself lol.

• They look good paul yu doing 1 or done 1?
  • I'll definitely be doing the 10 Peaks and my plan is to do the L50 too. I'm not sure which will be harder - I think the altitude gain will make the 10 Peaks just a little harder even though it is 5 miles shorter. I organise the 10 Peaks (sorry about the self promotion!) but I was unable to give it a good shot this year as I had a stomach infection leading up to and during the event. Hopefully I'll be fully fit for next July.
  • Peter - I don't think the night run helped much, other than the fact that I know doing it in June will be a lot easier!

Friday June 3rd 6:45pm clockwise - that's me!

All offers of support welcome! image

PM me with your email address and I'll keep you informed of training runs/recces etc...

• 6 hours out around Kinder yesterday - 5 ups/downs - 5200ft total ascent/descent - good way to kick off my BG training proper image
    25 weeks to go image

• Good one daz, need to get started myself. Did mortimers fell race yesterday was fun but only 10 miles 1600ft. . This thu or fri i off for a 3hr one along offas dyke. then start doin the serious work after xmas.

Roughly how much did you run an walk daz? Do you run flat an downhill an walk up?

Gonna do the welsh 3000 in march, with mate. tho i not doing grib coch as scared of heights lol. will wait for them then carry on. Entering the must be nuts 5o miler in march. Just got place in london marathon yesterday also. get few things lined up, so motivate myself.

• Well Done on Mortimer's - quite fancy that myself one year

er... walk the uphills yes!
    what I call "minimum stress" everything else - i.e. go as fast as poss without feeling as though you're putting any kind of damage into your muscles

I'm looking at Haworth Hobble (33M) in March, and Four Inns (40M) in April - I think having "stepping-stone" events lined up is good for motivation as well as providing good feedback on how training is going image

• thats what i thought , races to aim for an build up to, see howyou going. Think the 50 miler migt be bit much but we see.

Mortimers was great first time will do it asgain next year, 3 mad up an downs in the middle were fun!

Had a quick look at the four inns, might try get a team for that

• 21M in 5 1/2 hours out on the snowy hills yesterday image

since I'll be tapering from 2 weeks before my BG, that's now 22 training weeks to go...

• 16M undulating icy trails on Xmas Eve, then 5 hours out around Kinder yesterday with approx 3500ft ascent  - never done 2 such big outings only 3 days apart before and feel fine on it, so that's encouraging... image
  • Going well daz good on ya!!

Went out tonight to do couple of hours an went over on ankle, hope it ok tom dont feel to bad just sore.Hope to be back runnin tom

Doing a 26 miler over the offas dyke on the 8th

Meant to be doing a recce down keswick on 22nd or 29t but think i wont be availableimage The other 2 are going though.

Goin to attempt the welsh 3000 on the 8th feb, so not been doing much yet, but we have made plans so hopefuly gather momentum now!! Cant wait for the welsh 3000, scared of heights so will wait why they do CRIB GOCHimage seen it on you tube i get scared just watching it.

• Delurking

There is a family history of successful Bob Graham rounds - I'm not yet at a point where I can consider an attempt, but happy to cheer you guys on image

(I think I'm just round the corner from you Daz, in Manchester - you gave me some advice about Stockport Harriers last year image )

I'm going for the Lakeland 50 in the summer, and then may plan ahead...
  • Could be worth entering the Fellsman. To get the endurance for the BG it will be worth running over 50 miles with less climb. Night running is a whole new ball game.
  •  "There is a family history of successful Bob Graham rounds"

image  sounds fascinating, care to expand?

• Have I mentioned before that I am the black sheep of the family, Mr P? image
  • Ian - night running is a bit of an achilles heel for me; I seem to get all nauseous and spaced out between 2-5am image
  • My 1st ever   run in dark tonight and did my ankle in lol, only a slight sprain luckily so will need yo practice.

lakeland 50 sounds good, if i dont attempt he BGR this year i gonna do that instead

Frodo whos done it in the family?

Have t come an do a leg or 2

• Could A bgr be done with no recces?

If 2 of the 3 knew the area would that be ok?

Why is reces so important? You wouldnt recce every fell race? peole say it will help u to know what is coming  but somtimes knowing what is coming can put u off? sometimesjust better going for it?

Might sound stupid but jut wondering peoles views on reces an if they are hatimportant, obvioulsy wanna do some an have planned to , just wann know are tey crucial . cheers

• Not done the BG but did the L100 in 2009. Once over 8 hrs on your feet the head game gets more important. Assuming you have the physical fitness and endurance to do the BG you still have to have the will to carry on. When the shit hits the fan, just recognizing a familiar turn in the trail could give you the will to carry on. If you take a wrong turn at 4am the mental trauma of time lost can be enough to make you quit!
    Don,t underestimate the mental side of this type of running. Any recces you can do will help your attempt.
    If you have limited time then recce the night sections.

Once your training increases you might try entering long fell races but running twice the distance. I have done this on 20 mile hill races. Run one 20 mile lap giving yourself about 1 1/2 the time you would normally take to run the course and try to arrive at the start of the main race10 mins before the main event. Start the main race having had 10 mins recovery/refuel time and use the momentum of the other runners to complete the second 20 miles in a reasonable time. This will hurt but is great for endurance.!!
  • Cheers Ian makes sense the running race twice.

time an money the reason i gonna stryuggle to recce the route.Would need to sort out childcare for te kids etc not easy. will defo try an get down once so will do the night leg .

I appreciate the mental thing must be hard, must be many times during a BGR attempt were your head sais stop!!!

The l100 bet that was tough, thinkin of doin  myself if i dont do this

• One way or another you need to do a race that runs through the night. I recon I learnt more about my self and running on' the fellsman' than any other training I did.
    Hydration , Food preferences (Your tastes will swing alarmingly), Sleep depravation, Navigation, Sustainable pace, Equipment suitability, Foot problems, Night running,Rubbing points, lighting all will be tested.
    The fellsman also has a rule that you must run as a group of 4 during the night. You will find yourself grouped up at dusk with other runners running at your own pace. If you are lucky one will have a good local experience and you will app the value of arecce.
    Tempted by the BG myself but like you don,t know if I can afford the time and degree of commitment it will require.
  • 90 - I supported a guy on a (successful) attempt in June and he had only done a couple of recces on the BG route and didn't really know much of it at all - as long as your supporters can show/point the way there's no prob, and at times I think he was glad he didn't know which mountain he was going up next!

personally, I wanted to get my "head round" the route in advance - mainly so i could come to the decision as to whether I thought I could do it

the biggest confidence boost I got was completing the Bullock Smithy back in September - 56M in 17 hours inc. 8 hours in darkness, and no real probs - it was after that that I realised that I at least have the right mental attitude (we'll see about the physical prowess... image )

*Frodo* - did you join a club in the end? or hook up with any of the Harriers? do you have any target races earlier in 2011?

• I think the cost part is a big deal for me also, recceing down there will cost money to camp-fuel etc also paying for meals for support an somewere for them to stop etc which is more than fair, just not sure if i can afford to do that the other 2 could but i wanna pull my weight will make a decision in the next few days.

Think not knowing what coming can help as if you knackered an u know the biggest for eg is comin up that can be demoralising so not all bad not knowing the area, will do 1 recce at least if i attempt it.

will have to look for a suitable night race coming up soon

if not i will just run over offas dyke or somewere in the dark on my own to experience running in the dark when tired, see what it like

Thanks

• Hi Daz image

I haven't joined a club as it just hasn't fitted in with my working hours - but that may be due to change later this year. I came along to the Stockport 10 before Christmas for a little potter, and really enjoyed myself image
    Race wise early this year, I'm still mainly sticking with roads and bumping up my mileage, so the plan is: Central Lancs Half and Helsby Half in January, considering the Grindleford Gallop in March but definitely doing the Rhayader 20 and Liverpool Half before the Paris Marathon in April.
    As I had so little off-road experience, I started with The Trunce series over by Sheffield last year and will pick that up again at Easter. I really need to develop my downhill running - can overtake most souls on the ups, only to have them fly past on the downs image

I haven't entered the Lakeland 50 yet - I was meant to be running the Snowdonia Marathon a couple of months ago, but got injured (the Stockport 10 was my return race) and so I'm stilling seeing how everything settles down over the next month before committing myself.

I have a few friends who are seasoned Bullock Smithy-ers image How did you find it?

• another big training day today: over 7 hours out, on 25M/5000ft ascent

20 training weeks to go...

*Frodo* - Grindleford Gallop is supposed to be excellent - I was going to do it myself, but it's the same weekend as Haworth Hobble which I'll be doing cos of longer distance - you need to enter asap though, as it fills up quickly...

re Bullock Smithy - how long have you got? it's quite simply the Best Event Ever - imagine anything good I could say about it, and it applies!

• Frodo- I found the Bullock Smithy to be a bit like childbirth. At the time I thought it was absolutely horrendous and I would never ever do anything like that ever again, and then the next morning decided that it was fantastic and started recce-ing for next year. Although reading that back I didn't start 'recce-ing for next year the next morning' where trying for a baby is concerned as I only have one child- LOL! Anyway it's all getting a bit TMI so I will shut up.........

Daz- I have just noticed I have a stupid family wedding on your BGR weekend image I am on antibiotics course number 4 now and still not running. Over 7 weeks of inactivity and over half a stone of weight-gain. Big sulk! Your training is going very well I see- Well done! image

• Done the grindleford gallop an can say its an excellent race. Well marshalled an supported, lovely route over the peak district throught chatsworth park, i doing it again as prep for london

Going well daz!  I getting back into it now did hangover hobble on sat an a 2hr run on sunday. First big run is on saturday 25+ mile along offas dyke - not sure of feet? but  a few climbs! Feeling lot more confident now as i back running proper, not done much since snowdon. Saturday will be good to get big one under our belts.

Got another 2 runners for our attempt (i think), an he knows the area well and said he can get some pacers.

• mort - disaster! I was relying on you to make bacon butties at Dunmail at 3am image
    can you not get the wedding postponed? perhaps a judiciously placed article of underwear in a car glove-box? image
  • Daz- Or you could up your training, get round a bit quicker and then I could attend both image