Bob Graham Round

Comments

• 'nother "LDO" (Long Day Out) in the Dark Peak for me yesterday
    25M / 5000ft / 8 hours out - enjoyed it - definitely getting fitter image

• My most monstrous training day yet yesterday
    A route called the Kinder Dozen
    basically a circuit of the Kinder plateau
    but you deliberately zig-zag up/down it 12 times
    23M / 10,000ft ascent, 9hrs 15mins out, it rained the whole time and was cloudy/windy on the tops, so "character-building" as well image:
    http://www.a-trip.com/tracks/view/69093
    (choose Map View)

• Kielder Borderer Fell Race last Sunday
    19M, 3500ft ascent
    5 hours out, in poor visibility, in an area I had never been to before, with snow on the ground
    required tough mental attitude, plus good nav practice image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    just found this thread.
    I'll keep an eye out for more posts as I foolishly entered the 10 peaks so comments and thoughts welcome. I hope to make it round, even if its not inside the 24 hour cut - off.  Due up in the lakes in a couple of weeks, so will do a bit of mountain running to get some practice in.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Daz - How's your BGR attempt progressing?

I supported a guy this weekend just gone over leg 2, definitely going to make an attempt myself in May/June 2012.

*frodo* - Are you on this weekends recce run for the L100?

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

Anyone have any thoughts on pacing for a walk/hike recce of the BG round?  I'd like to either do it in one go or over 2 days with my brother.  Obv we'll just carry enough of the essentials (gear,h&s,nutrition) to limit weight.

I read Bill Bland once walked it in 21hrs....but then of course he was a machine! image

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Joss Naylor walked it even quicker I think?

• You have to understand that elite walkers can walk faster than most of us can run. 

The fact that they can do it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a realistic thing to attempt.

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

Yes but they are elite runners, not walkers.  Fast walking is a completely different technique.  Ever tried walking at <8mins/mile.  In some cases (most of the time for most) you'd have to walk the uphills.  Stronger legs (via adaptation) and form will provide benefits over ultra distances, but speed (re: road walking form) doesnt really come into it.

• phew! found this thread again image
    my attempt in 2011 was unsuccessful image
    but I am going again in May 2013 image

anybody else...?

• I would love to do this in the future. I am currently planning a two day jaunt.

• WiB/Daz I'd be interested in making an attempt early next year, what kind of recce schedule were you thinking of? How supported would you like to be?
  • Lirish - how early? do you mean May-ish? or earlier?

I don't really need to do any recces, as I know the route pretty well now, but I will probably get up to the Lakes about once a month between November and April
    and I'll do other long training days in Snowdonia and the Dark Peak (my local hills)

support-wise, I know quite a lot of people who are likely to be willing to help, so I could probably end up very well supported, but I wouldn't mind doing it a bit more low-key either... image

• Daz I quite like the idea of doing it earlier in the year than the traditional June/July but not so early it'd be considered a winter round, say April/May I think would be quite nice.

Recces for me would be essential, though I've ran in the lakes I don't know the area that well so to take the pressure off navigation wise I'd feel more comfortable with getting a few runs in first
  • I think I'd better see if I can do the Lakeland 50 first... But I'd love to do this sometime. Like cragchick, getting the recces in would be a problem.image

• Don't tell my husband... or my boss!

• This is on my list to do,  Maybe a couple of years time!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Debra Bourne wrote (see)

Don't tell my husband... or my boss!

I'm currently reading 'feet in the clouds' and I recall someone phoning in sick to do a support while bumping into their boss who was the next support runner!

Great book and seriously respect those of you who take to the fells and undertake challenges such as the BG. Something i am unlikely to ever contemplate doing but will follow this thread with interest.

• I've known people successfully complete the BG with relatively little experience of the route - if you can get knowledgable supporters to help navigate you round on the day - if your navigational skills are up to it, you could do it on sight image - dedpends how you want to do it
    personally, I like to get my head round the whole scale of such undertakings, so recces were a must - plus they're good from the pov of seeing whether you are fit enough to do the various sections in the sort of times allowed - plus, the recces are the most FUN part of the whole process image

• Agreed Daz, I wouldn't want to try it without knowing I had a reasonable chance of success, both in terms of being able to navigate my own way around if necessary and in terms of knowing exactly how big the challenge is in terms of fitness required
  • No point in doing it there's not fun as well as a challenge. I agree, I'd like to know I had a fair chance of success - so need somewhat more experience.

• Just Run: yes, I remember that section. image

• Lirish - beware! those were my exact feelings when I started on this path of BG Madness 3 years ago...

I could navigate myself round no problem now... in good visibility!
    with the cloud down and on the night section (potentially with the cloud down as well) it's a different matter image and it's almost essential to have an ace navigator supporting (unless there is a "nail on" good weather forecast and a full moon!)

cragchick - I'm thinking some of my big training days will be Paddy Buckley/Welsh 3000's territory - I did Welsh 1000m Peaks race in June (although it was an altered low-level route due to bad weather) and I might do Peris Horseshoe in September...

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

I agree that you need support who know the route REALLY well.  Both of my 310XT garmins (with downloaded routes) didn't like the weather on my last recce and even with maps and compass its V easy to get lost in mist.  All the best for those giving it a crack this or next year.

I've done a few recces now but still not completely section 1 properly or sections 3 and 4.  Im in the Lakes next week for a bit of a jolly but intend to spend one day either recceing the C2C or BGR, or a bit of both.

• went out last night to get acquainted with the biggest hills near to where I work (Frodsham and Helsby Hills) - think I will be using them for regular hill-rep sessions over the winter image

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

Did section1 on wed and loved it.  After five visits to the lakes Ive finally had a few days of sun and clear skies....I guess 1/5 is par for the Lakes though!

Hate the run down Great Gable and through the Caldew, then up Marstang.  This time I tried the direct route down through Heather which is just as slow as the steep drop to the beck.  The view from the tip of Halls Fell is something else though, awsome.  Anyone based in Keswick can run back from Threlkeld along the disused railway line which is a popular walk.