Options

Bob Graham Round

Comments

• Options

Well Done Daz! image  (I think you mean Great Calva and Mungrisdale image )

Leg 1 was the first one I recce'd (coming up for 3 years ago now)
    I did it by parking in Threlkeld and getting the bus to Keswick, saved having to do the flat jog back afterwards (I hate flat!)

worked out that I have a few days leave saved up, so will be able to do one or two big training days each month after October - they'll be weekdays chosen mainly at short notice of good weather...

• Options

I wish I had the ability to do this. People are keen on saying that you can do anything if you put your mind to it but I'm sure that this is well beyond my capabilities. I stick to shorter fell races because I don't want the marshalls to be out there in all weathers waiting for me to come plodding along an hour or more behind the leaders.

• Options

I came dead last in two fell races this year (Teenager With Altitude and Ennerdale Horseshoe) and I got timed out on Old County Tops
    going that slow is actually good training for BG image

• Options

If going slow is good, I should break the record!

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

I'm realising (just one a few sections) how tough the challenge really is.  Even to get a

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options

"Even to get a..." what now? image

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

The thought of the challenge must have made me back out.  I have no idea what I was going to say there.

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options

nearly managed a hat-trick of last places last Saturday when I was 78th out of 79 finishers on the Peris Horseshoe fell race in Snowdonia - 17.5M/8500ft in 6 hours 14 minutes, making an average of 21:30 mins per mile, which is a good "BG Shuffle" pace
    basically I did the equivalent of roughly a quarter of a BG - just need to train up for the other 3/4 over the winter... image

• Options

last weekend did what I describe as a "Half Day Out"
    about 5 1/2 hrs around Kinder including 5 ascents thereof, totalling about 5000ft

might have a day off work next week to do a "Full Day Out"
    looking to do 8+ hrs in proper mountains (probably Snowdonia)...

• Options

yesterday took day off work and did 9 hours out in the Lakes
    just finished contour-counting my route to 6500ft ascent image
    felt surprisingly good on it - think I'm definitely geting more "hill fit" image

• Options

had a "calm before the storm" month in November, taking it relatively easy and logging only 113M

December-April will be 5 months of "proper" training
    recently done 3 decent days in a 2 week period:
    6 hours around Calder Valley (inc 3200ft ascent)
    6 hours around Kinder (4500ft)
    8 hours in Lakes (4800ft)

• Options

December totalled 155 Miles/26000ft ascent, so a good kick-start to my BG training image

set a date now: Friday 17th May

Gulp!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Set a time? 19:00 seems to be popular... I like the idea of the quiet 01:00 sneak off in to the hills!

• Options

6:30pm start
    should juuust get down off Blencathra in the twilight image
    and I've got a crack leg2 night-navigator image
    but I'm already dreading Clough Head! image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I supported leg 2 on a 19:00 start. I enjoyed it, pretty poor visibility when we were up there but a good section. The guy I was supporting was pretty solid on his navigation which was ideal as I didn't know much of the route at all!

• Options

took day off work yesterday and did Leg 1 plus Clough Head - 7100ft ascent, all pretty much at target pace, so happy with that at this stage, given that come 17th May:
    a) I'll be fitter
    b) I'll've lost 10lbs in weight
    c) I won't be carrying a heavy backpack
    d) the ground won't be as squishy

• Options

'nother "LDO" (Long Day Out) on Friday

20 Miles around the Coniston massif
    7000ft ascent
    coped well with the repeated ascents/overall distance/time out, so boding well...

• Options
    Sounds like the prep is coming along nicely Daz
  • Options

yes thanks Lirish

aaaand another one on Wednesday:
    16M/5000ft in 6 1/2 hours in the Lakes (Dunmail-Dollywagon-Fairfield-SeatSandal-Dunmail-SteelFell-CalfCrag-SergeantMan-HighRaise-ThunacarKnott-Dunmail)
    bit slow going due to snow on the tops/being careful with navigation in the clag

my quads are a tad sore today - probably the last descent off Steel Fell image

• Options

17M/3700ft around the Edale Skyline last Sunday

then first Mega-Hill-Reps sesh after work last night
    8 times up/down Frodsham Hill, totalling 2300ft ascent

will build up to at least 12 reps over the next few weeks as the extending daylight allows... image

• Options

just worked out that in the "rolling month" between 9th March & 8th April I logged 200 Miles and 40,000ft ascent image

5 weeks til BG-Day... image

• Options
    Sounds like all is going well Daz, you feeling ready
  • Options

I am thanks GKD image

I've got 4 more big training days scheduled, plus regular small hill-rep'ing, and that should be it!

feel fitter than I've ever been, so should also be able to log a few decent fell-race performances over the next few months image

• Options

I am one of the producers of a new Podcast https://www.facebook.com/TheBritishTrailRunningPodcast

We have decided to dedicate episode 2 to the Bob Graham Round.

We already have 2 interviews lined up but ideally would like a third person to kindly volunteer to speak to us about their attempt.

So if anyone has about 45 minutes to spare and take part in skype/telephone interview then please let me know via a PM on here or our Facebook page.

Thanks,
    Tim

• Options

Hi Tim,
    I can't imagine how I could fill 45 mins talking about my BG obsession (most people glaze over after about 2), but if you're still short of an interviewee PM me your email address...

• Options

meanwhile, I had a great training/recce day last Saturday
    20M/9500ft doing the last bit of Leg 3 from Esk Hause all the way round to Brandreth on Leg4
    tried new lines at Foxes Tarn, Rakehead Crag and Red Pike
    did all splits on schedule
    felt strong during/after image

got one final "monster day" on Friday then effectively tapering... image

• Options

Really enjoyed reading this thread - anyone know how 90 got on int the end? After reading Feet in the Clouds I cant imagine running it without months of recceing the course etc. Was the book just tryin g to make it sound more epic than it is or was 90 being overly optimistic? My navigation skills I really untested a d it has always put me off these kinds of runs - need to man up I guess image

Anyone who enjoyed Feet I wiuld really recommend Mud, Sweat and Tears about someones attempt on the Irish equivalent. Great read. 

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I was wondering the same thing - did 90 do it?

• Options

right!
    last 9 weeks I've totalled 380 miles/85,000ft ascent
    I'm officially tapering now...

• Options

Have you kept detailed training records for the attempt Daz? Or blogged it? I'm interested in an attempt next year but living down south so would need to be a supported run, would be interested in some more details when you're successful image