Bob Graham Round

Comments

• I do keep detailed training records, but only in a spreadsheet of my own devising image - nothing online.

when (I like the sound of that word!) I'm successful, I will publish a book called "Train for the BG the Slug Way"! which you will have to buy like everybody else! image

• Steve RileySteve Riley ✭✭✭

Just noticed this - have you been repping Frodsham Hill more Daz? I know of at least one other succesful BG - he lives on a towpath for goodness sake - that did a lot of bread and butter training there. 20x laps of a shorter climb for 4000'. I do a lunchtime session of 700' in half an hour every week or two. Didn't do Mark Hartell any harm either, he was a big Fox Hill fan I believe.

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

You mean AndyR? yeah I've spoken to him about that
    I did 10 reps last night actually, I've done one sesh of 10-12 reps each of the last 5 weeks - it's feeling easier/more sustainable every time image

I do mean Andy yes, where do you do your loop?

down from the top edge to the houses at the bottom lane (then back up!) via this path:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=351590&y=376817&z=115&sv=351590,376817&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=748&ax=351590&ay=376817&lm=0

it's about 70m height diff, i.e. 230ft per rep, and I do about 10-12 reps in 90mins

Oh, good work, that's my 3 Peaks CX rep on the bike - carry up there along the top down to Middle walk, anticlockwise back to the bottom. I don't do 12...

Running I tend to do Bellemonte entrance up to monument, just because it's quicker.

Good luck image

I usually park up on Beacon Hill and run in past the Belle Monte and the monument, then back afterwards as warm-up/down
    I never tire of the view from the monument image

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

Just found this thread, what a fab read.Just discovered the BGR via a friend and its now up there as a gotta do that before I die.Just wanted to say massive good luck Daz .....hope you are resting up a bit now.Keep us posted image.........

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

DazTS, are you doing more of the round on Fri?  I will be starting from Dunmail Raise nice and early

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner

roeby - Thanks for the good wishes - every little helps! image

I did a mere(!) 3 hours/4200ft out around Kinder yesterday - felt very easy/almost like cheating as far as a training sesh - good sign that the taper is going well

Daz - nope, I shall be spending next weekend wrapped in cotton wool!

RIGHT!

I am officially sorted with all my BG Support! image

final emails will be going out tonight, then I will be sticking my fingers in my ears and going "LA-LA! LA-LA!" for the next 8 days... image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Daz this must be one of the most-lurked threads ever, good luck, I imagine everyone will be looking in to see how you do.

• Best of luck Daz, sounds like some epic training (the ways its' gotta be for anything this hilly I reckon).

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

I did section 3 today, ok legs stiff from the off and boggy (even some snow!) but have to say I'm still in awe of anyone doing 24hrs or less of this, and - I'm out.  Think I'd rather do training in the lakes and concentrate on lighter hills down souf! My Achilles just cant handle it.  Good luck anyone doing it this year

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner

picked wrong day to attempt image
    Leg1 went OK in fine dry conditions
    but started to rain as it went dark for start of Leg2
    very wet/cold in spells, although didn't lose too much time
    Leg3 started well - it got light and the cloud looked like it might just be patchy...
    ...buuuut then it closed right in - thick cloud making navigation tricky, and having to slow down to be sure meant getting badly chilled in the rain/wind
    decided not to risk hypothermia by trying to push through to Wasdale - called it a day, dropped to Langdale, took shelter in pub and phoned for rescue!

think if I try again I'll go on short notice of a good weather forecast and do it with minimal support...

• Shitnews Daz, that's a real shame, it sounds like you'd prepared so well for the things within your control it's a pity the weather didn't play ball

• Bad luck Daz. I look forward to hearing of your next attempt.

Keep the faith!

• Bad luck with the weather Daz. Hopefully if you can keep up your fitness the weather might open up for you later this summer.

Just read the full expo on the other channel. Few more laps of Frodsham Hill and it'll go. I think a small number of people on call that can step in at shortish notice is a great plan. Long day in the hills and you've learned a bit ...feel good about yourself!

• Yeh, great attempt Daz, it's a huge challenge and you managed a real long section of overall route in dark (through some trick nav bits IMHO) and then no daytime benefit from the weather, really is nowhere to hide from it out there for the most part - you need a bit of luck with this one.

• Daz: sympathies. It was bad enough battling along on SDW50 in wind, rain and poor visibility last month - and we had route markings and full support from the Centurion crews. NOT risking hypothermia by pushing on sounds like a very sensible choice, if frustrating. Good luck for better weather conditions another time.

• There were very few successful Bob Graham attempts last year, and that fact is largely attributable to the high level of rainfall.  This is an event where you are very much at the mercy of the weather.  I am sure you will nail it in the end Daz, because you cant be unlucky every time. 

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hard luck Daz that's why it is what it is. 

I was thinking about you last week as I finished the sandstone trail going down frodsham hill where you mentioned the hill reps earlier whimpering and wincing and realising what it  must take to even get to a stage where you can even consider an attempt 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Not sure why I popped into this thread - I think it was the title. But well done and bad luck Daz the Slug, I suppose these attempts are always going to be subject to the weather - I suppose unless you live in the Lake District and are local it is always going to be difficult to get the right weather, but I am sure, reading back you will get another opportunity to nail it.

What happened to the original poster? did he ever complete it?

• Daz - I know the date you said was 17th May but I'm guessing that means the next day when it all closed in was Saturday 18th.

I live in Carlisle (so not far from Lakes) and you were not just 'not lucky' but actually very unlucky with the weather. Whilst it can always rain a bit Saturday was a shocker with a lot of flooding in many Cumbrian villages that is most unusual for that time of year - I can't remember it raining so heavily for such a prolonged time as it did on Saturday morning.

I've been reading and enjoying your training logs and trips (my dad was born and brought up in Keswick so has instilled a love of the fells in me) - I'm sure after all the work you've put in you won't let the weather on this trip deter you from another attempt and I hope the sun shines on you next time (although not too hotly!).

I've never actually run in the Lakes because I enjoy simply walking and admiring the views - but you never know one day......

thanks for all your commiserations image

it's not all doom & gloom though - I'm still the fittest I've ever been, and I intend to put in a couple of decent race performances at Duddon and Wasdale over the next couple of months (my 2 fave races)

I might earmark the last couple of weekends in June as potential re-attempt dates, then if the weather forecast is looking "nail-on" good, phone round a few people and see if I can get a "skeleton" support crew together...

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

Its best to be beaten by the weather, than have your mind or body beat you.Gutted for you, however this experience is invaluable , and you will conquer it........image....

• I was in Keswick for the weekend, weather was so bad I ended up at Reghed on Saturday at a photography exhibition. 

Shame for you after all the hard work

• Sorry to hear about your aborted attempt Daz. I've been lurking on this thread but have some plans in this area myself and ran a recce a few weeks ago. Hope your plan B goes well.

• I was on Kirk Fell and Pillar over the weekend, Must have met 4 or 5 people doing the BGR, as well as a check point for the Ennerdale Horseshoe fell race that was on as well..

Perfect weather for it