Bedford Harriers Half-Marathon

Just entered after a week off post the Amsterdam mara, can't keep away. Did this years ago and remember a nice run with some great support from the marshalls - expect the same?  

Comments

• Hope so - I know the last 5 miles well, but never run it. Going for sub 75.
  • Never run this one before, and judging from previous years' times I'll be somewhere at the back, but I'm looking forward to doing a new race (for me) A December half is also sound tactics - makes space for Xmas pud!
  • Remember a sally army band playing as we set off last time I ran it  - very festive. image 

Back in training tomorrow after a lazy week. 

• i did this many years ago and although i dont remember it being easy im doing it again image
  • I Just entered, and this being my 3rd official half marathon in litle over two years, I am looking forward to it, especially the hilly sections and of course the down hills.

My strategy is often to take bit easy in the initial 5 or 6 miles and gradually pick up the pace, however, try being spot on the pace in the first mile also. It works for me.

Personal Best wishes

• up for this event again

ran it every year for the last 8 years either at present location or over at Great Barford

it will be about our 223 rd HM i  think  ???????

shall not race it though, will get around when we get there nice and steady

• Yay! Just checked and my cheque has been cashed now, so I am in as well. HM pb so far 1h30m40s, so would absolutely love to get below 1h30m, but this might not be the course for it? Looking forward to it already, and having just come off of a marathon Sunday just gone then this is my focus for the time being.

• I'm in. First proper year running and it's my 3rd half. Gearing up for a full mara in May next year so can't wait to do this one.

Obviously have never seen the course before but expect to be at the back somewhere!!

• I did this last year which was my first HM.  It was a lovely course through the countryside and christmassy marshalls and water stops! Enjoyed it so much am doing it again this year.  Hope the weather is as nice too it was a lovely day - sunshine and not too cold perfect running weather.
  • Hi - does anyone know if this race starts and finishes at the same place?
  • How does this course stack up against the Cransley Hospice Half Marathon? This will be my second HM as a stop gap in my London 2011 Marathon training.

Cransley was really hilly and I'm wondering what kind of a challenge the Bedford half presents?
  • This is quite a challenging course, similar to Cransley and has a nice downhill stretch at the end if I remember rightly.
  • mesher and myself are in 5th half this year cant wait not bad for two footballers who like a drink
  • Just received my number / pack  - the height profile looks a little harsh until 9 miles!
  • My numbers come through this week image but must admit I’m starting to get a little worried image -  I signed up for it to keep me going over the winter after doing the Budapest Marathon in September, as last year after Amsterdam I really took my eye off the ball and my fitness went down hill. 

On the one hand a friend recommended it and said that everyone she knows has got a PB on it, and on the other hand I’ve been hearing a little bit about it being a bit hilly.  I did Bath in 2:01:56 and really want to make it sub 2hrs.  I’ve been a bit of a wimp in the past when it comes to hills and have always chosen flat Halfs and Marathons , hence Amsterdam ( I reckoned if ever there was a flat marathon that was the one image   )  .  I suppose even if I don’t get a PB, it’s going to give me a bit of experience of running more challenging races and will help set me up for the Spring.

I couldn’t see the course profile on the harriers site, is there one available?

• is 80 mins an ok time for half marathon only been running for the last ten months this will be my second HM, not sure what the other girls are doing?
  • 80 minutes sounds like a brilliant time for someone only running for 10 months and their second Half Marathon.  Please tell me you're in your 20-30s and have run in the past.  I'm just hoping to get anything inside 2 hours
  • i changed sports from cycling. but did not now i had a gift for running im in my mid 30's.  never run in the past im up to 40 miles a week. did cardifff but my timing was out because they had to redirect race but they mis-judged the end and left it 200 meters short of the HM distance.
  • Sounds like you've definitely got a knack for running, I'm impressed.  I'd never done any real cardio exercise before starting running 2 1/2 years ago at 43,  but am quite pleased with what I've achieved.  It's really disappointing tough when there's a route change like that.  I ran a 10k a couple of weeks ago, where the finish was about 300m after the 10K marker, grrrr image
  • Lovely run, and usually a good momento too that's a bit differnt from the normal stuff

Can we all take some darts to see if we can take out the ghastly inflatable snowman about half a mile in, playing dreadful Christmas carols on what sounds like a Rod Harris stylophone?   The neighbours will love us forever!

• Looking forward to this one - I have just entered last Friday.

How does the course and profile compare to St Neots?  Is Bedford hillier?

• im suprised its not full already, must be some tired people out there probally raced out.  got my number today, there is an article about pre race nerves.  who get nerves? i do . image
  • Doh! image Just looked at the paperwork for the run and found the course profile in it.  Glad I found it though, it's nice to try and get my head around it, so I'm not surprised on the day
  • im still learning how to read the profile and what it means, is it hilly or false flatimage
  • I've not ran it before, but it looks nice and flat for the first 3 miles, a quick short sharp  rise at 3 miles, followed by a longer  2 1/2  mile gradual one, and then a shorter rise for just over half a mile, which flattens out nicely.  But the good thing is what goes up must come down and it looks like the worst of the hill climbs are over by 7 1/2 miles though, so I can imagine myself going "Weeeeeeeeeeee  " on the lovely downhill from 9 1/2 miles aftewards image

It's a similar profile to a 10K that I ran at the weekend.  I've never been one for hills, but realise that running them makes me a stronger runner and am begnning to slowly get my head around them.  I'd be grateful for anyone's comments on it that's done it before.

• thanks for that ! im sure ill get my number through shortly! i do a lot of hills with backpack running up is ok but the downhill at first feel like your muscles are still going up, great fun cant wait fun fun fun fun funimage
  • I down for this one - was a bit touch and go with an ankle injury, but made my return to running this week and things appear to be good so far  *touches wood*

Quite excited for it, but unfortunately it'll be a training run for me rather than a chance to race...

Good luck to everyone! image

• I'm out of it - girl flu at the wrong moment, followed by doing something painful to my glutes and back. So I'm not fit enough and I can't bound upstairs like I usually can. DISASTER!! Spare number anyone? If so let me know ASAP cos there's a PROCEDURE to go through by Dec 2nd.

imageimageimageimage

• I think St Neots is flat compared to this

• * makes mental note to check course profile tonight when I get home *