ten mile race

i have a ten mile race in 4 weeks time and wonder if somebody can give me some sessions to sharpen up for the big day

Comments

• 10 mile is apx your lactic threshold.

So this is where you should aim your training. What you doing at the moment?

If it was me i'd want a session that gave me 6 to 8 mile @ HMP or above.

so 3 x 3 at HMP or 3 x 2 @ 10km pace - you might need to slow things down / reduce the length of the rep though depending on what your up to at the moment.

The week before i'd drop this session and then do a little 5km pace work to sharpen up.
  • doing 50 miles per week, might try the 3 x 3 at hmp on tuesday, did relay in scotland last week and a 5k in 17.05 on a park run last month, want around 57/58 for ten miles
  • I think that's a fair target.

You might be able to stomach a bit more than 3 x 3 maybe 2 x 4, the longer you hold the pace the better.

Or rather than taking a break between each rep, just drop down into Marathon pace for a couple of mile then hit it again.

I did my first parkrun today - very impressed.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

sb - I ran my first ever target HM this year (as opposed to a HM in prep for a marathon) and really enjoyed the mix of training, sort of marathon training without the very long runs, which means you can add a little more quality.  I guess training for a 10 miler would be very similar - lots of sessions around lactate threshold as MR says.

There were two key sessions each week for me which covered paces either hitting HM pace or around it.  The first would be a continuous semi-long run with HMP or MP or a combination, e.g. 12 miles incl. 6 miles 'long tempo', with the first 3 miles @ MP, then 3 miles @ HMP, or 14M incl. 2 x 4M @ MP.  In practise, the progressive tempo runs would continue to be progressive beyond HM pace so I'd be running at, or slightly over, LT towards the end.  The second session was tempo intervals, e.g. 3 x 2M @ 10k pace, 2 mins recovery.

I think if you've got a couple of sessions working around target pace, a long run and easy miles in between, that's not a bad mix.  I really should run another 10 mile race soon.  Having beaten my PB in training more than once, it's definitely my softest one!

• Thanks lads still trying to learn the dark art of running clever
  • Hi guys,

Does anyone have any good ten mile training plans?
    Currently a 19 min 5ker who runs about five times a week.
    Thanks
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Most schedules are either 5k, 10k or half, don't think ive seen a 10 miler. I am currently following a 10k schedule for a 10 miler in December but adding in a 15 mile easy long run.
  • Thanks DT19 - I’ll look out a good 10k plan then