PTH Famous Five

Comments

• Last long run done today. 18m. And another day on the shed.

Hows you lads doing?

• Bit wet for shed making today image.

I'll be glad to get London out of the way......it's going to hurt.

• Your right there mate. So whats your plan? are you going for a pace or just flat out and hang on image.

Yes too wet for the shed!

• The plan is to go out on 2:45 pace and hang on for as long as I can, however my training has not been anywhere good enough this year so fully expect failure and pain along the way. Depending on the experience, this will probably be my last VLM I think.....image
  • Looks like we will be together for a little while then. Gareth is also coming with me. hope we meet at the 3m mark.
  • Morning lads, how we all doing.
  • OK.......been doing some tempo runs and speedwork this week, probably get a 12/13 miler in tomorrow, and then its all downhill until the big day.

So, what are you expecting to cover the following distances in during the race?

10 miles - I was thinking 1:00/1:01

13.1 miles - 1:19/1:20

20 miles - 2:05 leaving 40 minutes to get the final 10k ish done.

Although I don't think I'll be able to hold it together over the distance on the day......I can but try though!

• 6:10 to 6:15 pace all the way or bust!
  • No room for error there!! image You'll have to be like a machine....
  • Tried the faster approach and failed twice. New approach I think.
  • WOW!
    I was just reading this forum trying to get some tips ... But I am now hypnothysed by your times! I did my VLM last year on a mere 4:30 ish and have decided to stick to HM & 10K ever since. My HM PB is 1:46 (bath half) and I am really hoping to get somewhere around the 90 min mark for the Bristol half (following sub 1:40 schedule at moment and then moving to sub 1:30 training schedule from the website after words).

I run 5/6 times per week and XT twice weekly. I mix speed, hills, tempo/steady and easy. Is there anything else I could do to improve, pls? Times are slowly getting better so I guess it's just a matter of waiting.

I remain in AWE of your times and apologies for gate crashing.

P
  • Hi Plinsky,Looks like your doing ok and all the right stuff. Think the best way for you to improve is to keep doing what you are as long as your enjoying and just up the miles and pace slowly. Try and train with people that are a little faster than your self. That's what I do. Most of my runs are to how my body feels. I have a marathon plan off NST that I try to stick to but some times find this a little too hard. But all i can say is if your going out to train then do just that. Use your cross train days as recovery and push the runs to the best you can. Good luck with your half. What kind of mileage and pace do you normally do in a week?
  • Thanks Fast Legs.

I currently do 30-40 miles per week with my pace ranging from 6:46 for fast intervals to 9:06 for easy long runs. I follow the Garmin sub 1:40 plan here (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-garmin-ready-half-marathon-schedule-sub-140/3274.html) which gives me some structure and discipline.

My XT session are on a Mondays for 90 minutes and on a Thursday for 60 minutes. I have to run prior to my XT sessions in order to get all the workouts in. I usually do an easy 4miles on the Mondays and a speed session on Thursdays (Pyramid, 10x400, 3miles brisk, etc). After completing the sub 1:40 (currently on week 4) I am planning to follow the Garmin sub 1:30 from here (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-garmin-ready-half-marathon-schedule-sub-130/3273.html).

I would love to run with someone but work commitment and my focus makes it difficult to find someone + I don't belong to a running club as their schedules clash with my XT days. Your comments are very reassuring at least I know I am doing all the right things. Lastly if I may: will age, weight and gender affect the fastest speed I could achieve? I am 36, male 174cm and 75 kgs (slightly over weight but working on tha aswell as I keep my total calories intake to <1800 cal per day)

Many thanks,

Plinsky

• As FL says you sound like you're doing the right things.

Age - its bound to make a difference, but doesn't stop you being the best you can. I didn't start running until I was 40........and the thought of doing a marathon in 2:45 when I started would have seemed impossible. Weight....I was heavier than you when I started running! FL's got an even more inspiring story on weight loss! 

If you keep at it, keep pushing, you'll see the improvements start to happen.....it can be as much a mental battle to keep the training going especially during winter and bad weather etc thats why it's easier to train with others when you can.

Good luck.

• Thanks FF. I will keep pushing it although the sub 1:30 schedule looks scary! Today I was able to beat my 10k PB on an ondulating race (Frenchay 10K) and came in at 49:52. Do you think 1800 calories is sufficient?
    Once again, many thanks guys for all your support and advice.
    P
  • When I lost my weight, 8st. I was on 1100 cal a day and working hard in the gym to shift around 2500cals. But then I was training to lose weight not to get fast. Did you see the story runners world did on me in the february issue?
  • Hi Fast Legs,

that was you! WOW, fair play to you mate and respect! I would like to get under 70kgs if i can and I will be happy... 5/6 Kgs to go. I lost 10/15 Kgs over the past 6months on about 1650 calories per day and I figured with the increase of traing and intensity I might be able to afford an extra 150 calories per day.

However if you survived on 1100 calories than I think I should not increase my calories intake to 1800 but stick to 1650 and hopefully I will be able to shift the extra weight over the next  3months... I shall let you know how my Bristol 10K goes (hopefully will improve on my PB again)... By the time I will do the Bristol HM (Sept 30th) I will be <70Kgs and should be able to achieve my HM PB @ <90 minutes... I hope! Will keep you posted and thank you again.

P

• How not to do it.....

2011 splits:-

1) 5:34 2) 5:37 3) 5:33 4) 5:27 5) 5:45 6) 5:50 7) 5:47 8) 5:51 9) 5:54 10) 5:58 11) 5:58 12) 6:05 13) 6:06 14) 6:11 15) 6:04 16) 6:09 17) 6:10 18) 6:18 19) 6:53 20) 6:12 21) 6:34 22) 6:39 23) 6:49 24) 8:23 25) 6:59 26) 8:37 the bit 3:57

Total 2:47:32 (If I hadn't walked intermittently in miles 24 through to 26 I'd have been ok....easy to say it now, but I was feeling near death at the time).

2010 splits:-

1) 5:56 2) 5:47 3) 5:39 4) 5:42 5) 5:53 6) 5:58 7) 5:51 8) 5:58 9) 6:08 10) 6:00 11) 6:07 12) 6:09 13) 6:13 14) 6:09 15) 6:05 16) 6:30 17) 6:13 18) 6:10 19) 6:00 20) 6:06 21) 6:28 22) 6:35 23) 6:43 24) 6:35 25) 6:34 26) 6:50 the bit 4:20

Total 2:44:51

Now I'm not sure what strategy to take, definitely not last years though!

• FF, 2010 plan looks good, but the first 8 mile is suicide for me! I'm going to stick with my plan of 6:10- 6:15 and see how it goes. I am not putting any pressure on myself this time. Just going to give all i got and see how it goes. Just looking forward to a weekend awayimage

When you going up?

Bryn, hows you doing buddy.

Plinksky, thanks and good luck with the training.

• I'm going up on Friday, so will pick up my number in the evening........

Then plan is to chill out Saturday as much as possible. I won't be spending 2 hours in the Expo and then 6 hours on my feet looking around the Tate, and then an hour walking around to find a restaurant in the evening like last year.image 

I fully expect failure......not enough training done this year. I'll give it my absolute best, but think it will unravel at around mile 17-20, I've already booked my place in the St John's recovery tent. image

• Looks like the same approach as me mateimage I'm going to enjoy the break and have a good time. It will be good not to be in work for a few days and a start to our honeymoonimage.

Bryn, hows that ankle?

• Morning, last little run for me tonight. Now its all down to the dayimage
  • Hi, hope you lads are all doing ok?

Just a quick post to wish you all well for Sunday - hope you have a good race.

FL - you going away anywhere after VLM, or is that honeymoon destination?

NST's marathon training plan sounds good...think I may need to follow something similar to get myself into gear for Snowdonia.

• Thanks LTS, are you coming to London?

All my running is done. Dont feel great! could do with a few weeks sleep. Looking forward to the pub after the raceimage.

• One more run in the morning and then off to London to pick up my number........weather should be ok for Sunday if the showers keep away.  Not long now....image
  • FF, safe journey mate. See you up there.
  • FF, hows the legs doing mate. And hows the head.

Bryn, how you doing buddy.

• FF - legs are OK, still a slight ache. Still not sure about the running.......will keep training for general fitness albeit at a reduced amount compared to normal. I've got to be honest, I should have pulled out of London but I'd booked the hotel. Will see how it goes, hopefully get the mojo back.......I still reckon I've got something wrong medically, prior to London I was regularly failing to do an 8 mile training run without stopping for recovery once or twice and I seem to have lost all my speed. No worries though, I've got plenty to do.....maybe I should build a shed. image What about you? You still dedicated to the sub 2:45?

• Sounds like you need a good holiday mate. You can rent my shed if you likeimage. Take it easy enjoy some good food and ale then re-assess and start afresh.

I'm not too bad, eating and drinking too much! legs seem ok. Feel more dedicated to the sub 2:45 now more than ever. Its a bad drugimage. I'm off out for a meal and a few ales again tonight. Need to keep re-hydratedimage.