Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• Suggest you have a look at the site.

Mainly,
    Its more like a time trial, the runners do not start altogether but groups of ten based upon predicted times. Faster groups going first.
  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

hello all,

could any one please let me know when the paper entry will be available, i cannot seem to be able to 'do' the online thingy as my card does not allow for the verify by visa which online requires.

cheers

• Hi All, welcome along to this year's event - good to see old and new "faces" on the forum. We are over 100 entries so far and steadily rising. If anyone wants a paper entry form we will have a downloadable one on the website any day now or email us and we can ping you one back. www.bbchm.co.uk info@bbchm.co.uk We have a few other races this year to tempt you with too, details soon. Enjoy!
  • Hi all, im definately up for this, my first half marathon. Just a little curious the race starts in Wolves and ends in bham city centre? how do we get back to our cars and kit?
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed this last year so am up for it again - can the faster runners take some bread along to subdue the kamikaze geese please image

• my first ever marathon. started training a bit late i think! i just hope i can finish it on the day...
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    It's "only" a half Raheela image You've got plenty of time, (18/19 weeks?) - find yourself a plan and stick to it... If there's a Parkrun near you, (http://www.parkrun.org.uk) - give it a go, they're excellent as a gentle introduction to racing / pacing / speedwork / tempos etc...

Darran - you can drop your bags at the start and pick them up at the end, last year the bag reclaim was behind a pub, (The Malt House?)... you'll need to make your own way back to Wolves if you parked there - or park early in Birmingham and catch the train to the start so your car is waiting for you at the finish.

• Darren, there was a kit transport the year before last and I believe it should be the same this year. Simple hop on the train if you want to get back to W.

Raheela, plenty of time yet image

I have just repeated everything GeeeM has said, perhaps I should of read the last post first,,,,doh...
  • How does the start time work? Do you get given one beforehand or do you have to turn up at 9 and wait to be called?
  • From what I remember you put a predicted finish time on your entry and when you get your pack it will tell you what time to start. It does mean that us slower ones start at the hottest part of the day but this will be my 3rd year and love this race because it is different.
  • To be honest the start is very relaxed.   Last year you stepped forward where you "felt" you should be.  A couple of my mates were in different start waves but there was no problem in moving up or down waves. As long as you are sensible and don't put yourself in an unrealistic wave everything is good.

The floating refreshment barges are also a great touch on this race.  The fact you're also running between two major cities and still feel quite remote on the route is a big plus for this race.    Looking forward to doing it again.

• Think i might have a go at this.

Did the Birmingham 1/2 last year and it was so badly organised it was untrue.

What sort of numbers do this?
  • Shaun,

I think around 700 runners, but since it is staggered start there is no issue with crowds, the starting period is well over an hour, maybe two. I last ran it in 2009 and started in a group of 10. You do however have to be prepared for the fact you might spend time running on your own.

I dont think I want to bother with the Birmingham half again either, didnt do it last year but did it the year before !

• Thanks for that Chris.

I guess my only other concern is the terrain, i'm a bit wary about running off road, but then in July it shouldn't really be running in mud!

I enjoyed the Birmingham 1/2 apart from the start and finish (if enjoyed is the right word!)
  • Shaun, nice one.

For the footwear just use roadshoes, the path is mostly compact grit type stuff. Can be muddy in patches so not your favourite shoes image

• Shaun & Chris:  This is my 3rd time I will be doing this one - I certainly recall last year - it was my personal worst!!  The weather really effected me!!  Far tooooo hot!!  But I will be back this year!! 

The terrain is absolutely fine and there was certainly no mud last year!! 

I actually did enjoy Bham last year and the year before - but could have done with better weather!!  Oh well .... looks like I am never satisfied!! image

• Hi All - Just to pick up on a few of the questions -

We had around 1,000 finishers last yr so not as big as the "other Birmingham" half but more than the "other Wolverhampton" half.

The "path" is generally dry but if it does rain there can certainbly be puddles - so not your bestest pair of shoes!

If it does rain, it will be dry in the Tunnel - if it is hot, it will be shady in the tunnel !!! 

It is sort of flat but the bridges take their toll - be prepared!

We start you off in batches based on predicted times but are fairly relaxed about it all - just don't be too optomistic!

Bags get taken to the finish for you but you need to either park in Brum and get the train to the start (2 mins from the station) or park in Wolves and get the train back from the finish - or use the train completely and enjoy the bars in Brum post race!

250+ and counting!

• Hi JayneP, my third running too, looking forward to it.

I dont think it is a PB course, even though it is totally flat (apart from the bridges).

Hello Irondog, I am not sure if a bar has been nominated at the end yet, however in the past a few of us have met up at the pitcher and Piano.
  • Oh the Pitcher and Piano - and their special offers for runners - The memories... and the lack of them...
  • Train completely for me!!  The only thing that keeps me going is arriving in the middle of Birmingham with everyone watching!!  Great finish!!  Closely followed by a large glass of something cold!! image
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭

Evenin....

Just gatecrashing the thread  to point people in the direction of a west midlands running social.... West Mids Runners social

P.s  Even though its on April1st.....   Its no joke!

• Chris - no definate news on the post race watering hole - will update as soon as certain.
  • We shall just gate crash one image
  • Hi All

I'm a fairly new runner but would like to try and run a half marathon this year. I run one to two times a week between 5-7km each time and was wondering if this event would be suitable for me and if i would be abel to do it! I'm not the fastest runner (about 8min per km)!!

• Alan,

It might be worth looking at a couple of the training programmes on this site.

From my amtuer point of view you would need to build up to be able to run three times a week and have one of those as a longer run. Your longer run you will need to get up to about 10-11 miles eventually. Only gradually increase the distance of the longer runs, maybe half a mile a time. Dont worry about speed work and such stuff, just slowly start building up the miles.

• Hi guys, Im running 4-5 days a week doing about 4 miles each time, would this half marathon be suitable for me to start a training plan now 9/3/2011 ?

Also any tips on how i can improve my distance as well as speed because i was hoping to finish in under 2 hours but at my current pace it would take me over that. I'm pretty fit since I'm only 19, teach martial arts for a living and wanted a bit of a challenge - or am i being too optimistic ?
  • Am entering soon image and cannot wait for this event!!

see you all there and good luck to everyone image

• Is there a minimum age limit on the entry.
    My 16 yr old lad wants to try and beat his old man!!