Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• My training hasn't really got going for this yet as have had knee trouble and a house move. Next week it has to start properly...been running but not much over 6/7 for the last couple of months.

now I have said it......

• Yeah, best to get the excuses out of the way early on...image
  • RK, I am always right, you know that !!! image
  • image Is that what your gf tells you?image

That hat was definitely wrong...

• I got my race confirmation by email about a month ago, do you also get sent out an info pack in the post at any point?
  • Hi Lucy, per the website:

"We use a standard mailshot approximately two weeks before the event, you will get your timing chip, race number and an information leaflet. We will send out periodic email updates but other than final race info etc you won't get anything back postally."

I'm not sure if there's such a word as 'postally' but I think we know what they mean! Two weeks before is fairly typical - organisers don't like to send stuff out any earlier in case anything changes which might require sending further info 'postally'.

• due to my own stupidity and clumsiness, i have recently fractured my wrist in three places meaning my arm will be in plaster for 6-8 weeks. due to advice from my physio, i wont be able to do this race anymore :'( this news hurt nearly as much as one of the fractures :'( does anyone know if there is any way of me cancelling my entry?? thanks
  • amanda-jayne - Sorry to hear about your injury - sounds painful!!  Just email the organisers (link is on their website) and you'll probably be able to defer to next year if you want - that's what I did last year.
  • RK,  I always tell my gf she is right image
  • Well ran the course on Saturday. Lots of puddles to contend with.

The pebbles in the Cosely Tunnel were really slippy and the bridges were painful but after running 30 miles any incline is gonna hurt. One of the bridges is closed so you have to cross over the canal and run on the opposite side.

The geese were out and about but didnt give me any bother.
  • Thanks for the advice Chris and RoadKill.  Well I have signed up as I manged to do a 14miler on Sunday accidently  (by accident I got lost and took a while for me to get back)  Now just need to incooperate some hill reps in my training as any hills are going to kill. 

Well good luck to all and hope to see you at finish.

• Does anyone happen to have an address or even just the postcode for the finish? I want to try and work out the logistics with my chauffer (AKA Mrs Big Foot image) and would be good to do a trial run of driving from the start to finish.

Many Thanks

• Big Foot - the finish is at Brindleyplace, next to the NIA, so very easy to park nearby with a couple of multi-storeys.  However the Brindleyplace car parks are a bit pricey, so I'd definitely recommend using public transport if you can.
  • Cheers for that Yeti! Will look in to it image
  • Big Foot, the train option is very easy.
  • Signed up for this the other day. Have done the Great North Run three times. Has anyone here done both just so I can get an idea of similarities/differences?
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Less Geordies, more geese...
  • Seb - I've done both events twice and the main thing I'd say is that the only thing in common they have is the distance.

I've managed PBs at both GNRs (people always say you can't get a PB there) and the BBCHM currently has the honour of being my PW course (you'd assume being flat that it's a fast course).

GNR has a big party atmosphere, plenty of crowd support, nice long stretches of flat road which you can't make full use of due to the number of runners.  It has that fantastic finish after the John Reid Road where you know it's just a sharp downhill then long, adrenaline-fuelled push to the finish, which you can see clearly because it's got a massive inflatable arch.

BBCHM has none of those things.  You start off in waves of about 10 runners, based on your predicted finishing time.  The number of runners and the wave start means that although there is a constant stream of runners along the path, so you won't be lonely, you'll usually be at least 10 yds from the one in front or behind, though naturally there will be some overtaking - just make sure you shout up, or listen up in case someone wants to pass you.  The mostly flat run is regularly broken up by bridges, whether crossing the canal or simply where it meets a road.  These get closer together the closer to the city centre you get, and can end up really sapping your energy as they are short and sharp.  You might have to dodge the odd goose too, and if they squawk at you, just run faster image  The fastest runners go first, which is necessary because of the narrow towpaths, and therefore they get the beers in ready for when us plodders get to the pub.  It's on a Saturday, and with a finish at lunchtime, in the middle of Birmingham's bar-lined canalside development, pub-going is compulsory. 

In summary, both events are special in their own right, and you can't really compare them. However I love them both enough to be doing both again this year.

Sorry about the essay - hope that answers your question!!

• Yeti sums it all up !

Oh and we have a tunnel image
  • image  OH NO!! How could I have left the tunnel out?!?! image

And, in contrast to the GNR, you may not actually be able to see where the finish line is at BBCHM image

• i love this race - missed it last year due to holiday...

will enter come pay day !

• Thanks for all the info guys especially the 'essay'! Like to know what Im letting myself in for!
  • hey chris, looking forward to taking this on again - should be in better shape this time round (touch wood)

what time you going for on this one ? hows your running going ?

• Does anyone know when entrants running stuff will be sent out ? its not that far away now.  image

I paid ages ago but my name not on entrants list image.

Looking forward to doing this race xx 

• Approx 2 weeks before the race.

How did you enter? If online @ RW have you had your confirmation email? If by post has your cheque been cashed?

• HIya Buck, well not targetting a time but hoping to beat my course record on it. It is part of marathon training for me, I am doing Berlin in September, so it will be a 'pace' test. Running is going good. How about you ?
  • Hi I did not realise about the staggered start.  Now as with all half marathons I enter I put down 2hours as my time, but I think I can finish in 1hr45 (I am a 8min miler on average).  I am guessing I should tell the organisers this so I get put into the right group ie have a bit of company whilst im running along.  How do I inform them after I have entered?