Barcelona Marathon 2011

Comments

• Jim Holmes - What a good idea! We have a rugby club in our local town & so I may make inquiries.
  • Hi All!

I see there's some Amsterdam people in this thread! I'm making the migration over this way to.

Bring on  March and some warmer weather!

• Just come back from a 27km run and my Garmin has decided that it has 'lost' satellite and is unable to give me any data...how frustrating!

How is the training going for everyone else?

We are expecting snow any time soon and so thought that I would get my LSR in first.

Bon weekend tout le monde !
  • I am averaging 35 miles a week with a 13 miler every Saturday but I will up it in the New Year. Cold snap arriving here in Ireland as well.image
  • Scooby Dudek wrote (see)

I did this last year, as a training run, prior to an April marathon. I was there for work and had a 22 miler scheduled, so did this instead.

I cannot say enough good things about  this race. The crowd support is amazing pretty much all the way, the organisation was smooth and the course is a PB course. I am hoping to race it this year, if I can sort work over there again. There were water and energy bottles every 5km, sponges every 5km and various video recordings taken around the course, plus at least 5 live bands and a couple of spin classes alongside the route.

Living in hope, I officially started my 18 week schedule tonightimage

Barcelona is my first marathon, and actually the first race I've entered, reading this just made me so excited!! 

• How hilly is the course? I've heard various different people saying different things about it. Also, would this be a suitable schedule for it: BarcaTraining

Just finished week 4, ran my 14 miles yesterday in the snow and ice, frrrrrrrrrezing. Good job Barcelona will be a bit warmer!!

• Iain The Great wrote (see)

How hilly is the course? I've heard various different people saying different things about it. Also, would this be a suitable schedule for it: BarcaTraining

Just finished week 4, ran my 14 miles yesterday in the snow and ice, frrrrrrrrrezing. Good job Barcelona will be a bit warmer!!

http://www.maratobarcelona.es/files/altimetria.pdf  doesn't look hilly and what there is, is mainly at the beginning
  • Carrot where have you got flights from? I am struggling to get convenient ones from the NE of England.
  • I live in Barcelona and can be found camped out on the sub3 VLM thread. I did this race last year and it is pretty flat. There of course are some inclines including the last 3k, but it does take in many of the Gaudi sights, Camp Nou, the sea, las Ramblas, Arc de Triomphe etc etc

You do not have to go in person usually for most races in Spain, but occasionally they ask for a passport or an NIE (Social Security number) I´ve never had a problem and you get the goody bag before the race.

Places to stay: I would avoid Las ramblas if you can as it can be quite noisy. Try Gran Torre Cataluyna which is 200m from the start or hotel Casanova which is 600m from the start. If you use the Torre, you can get the train from the airport using a T10 card which is currently 7.95 for any 10 journeys on the metro and you can pass the card between people to get more of you through.

If I remember, I´ll pop back to answer specifics as I can look out of my office window and see the start in Placa Espana. The race last year was very well supported and easy to run at your own pace with good marshalls.

I entered again last night for this as a warm up for London, so might see some of you there. Any specific questions, let me know and I´ll either reply from my knowledge or ask my secretary who is the oracle of all things

• KW - I got flights from Ryan air going out and back from Leeds. I booked them about 6 weeks ago and they were £65 return with all the add ons. Hope that helps.
  • Excellent I will have a look. Carrot must be hibernating. Mind you it is darn cold up here.
  • The Jiffle king - Great to learn that someone knows Barcelona so well. I feel cetain that many questions will be winging their way to you nearer the time.

I watched youtube footage of the Barcelona marathon and it looks great...it gave me butterflies in my tum!

Can I pose the first question to you? Where is a good place to meet family after the marathon? Amsterdam & Paris were relatively easy. Is there a really obvious landmark very close to the finish?
  • Places to meet family after the race...

Placa Espana for a start as it is quite busy, as half of the roundabout is closed off. You could also go up to the main part of the magic fountains (It´s the big water feature right next to where you will collect your number from). Other places include an escalator ride up towards the big building at the top of the steps which is the Museum of Art and will give you a good view of the finish (Escalators are provided) There is also a small Park (Juan Miro) just over the road which could also be suitable.

Good places to eat afterwards... I think there was some food provided last year along with the Gatorade/water. If you can manage it, I would get away from the finish area for food as there are not that many good restaurants around there. I would head to Exiample area where you will find much better food

• Thanks for that The Jiffle King!
  • I'm going stir crazy here, I have only done 6 miles in 3 weeks due to the Weather and I do not have any indoor facilities anywhere near, need a break in the weather or preparation for Barcelona will have gone out of the window
  • Jim Holmes - Oh, I feel for you. Could you run up and down the stairs in the interim? Does anyone you know have a fitness DVD? Chin up the weather WILL improve...eventually.

I received an e-mail (as did everyone, I assume) from the organisers of the Barcelona Marathon asking me to sign up! I checked my registration details to put my mind at rest but realised that I had said no to a race chip. Does anyone know how I can ask for a 'championchip' as I don't want to run the marathon without one?

•  You could try....

Hello, I entered the marathon of Barcelona, but did not put down that I needed a chip. How can I add this to my entry as I can only see an option to re-enter the race?
    Sorry, I don´t write well in Spanish

Hola, entré el maratón de Barcelona, pero no dejé que necesité una chip. ¿Cómo lo puedo agregar yo a mi entrada como yo sólo puedo ver una opción para reentrar la carrera? ç
    Perdona, yo no escribo muy bien Espagnol

My guess is they also speak/write well in English.

• Thanks again Jiffle King - I shall do just that!
  • Winter has certainly been disruptive.  Annoying when trying to build momentum.  Did a couple of laps around Blackheath Common in the snow the other day.  Was nice to get out and the snow was soft.  Had a bad experience running in the snow in Feb-09 when I slipped over on the ice so have said will never run on the roads in the snow again - parks seem to be a lot better.  Fortunately my long run schedule has not been too badly affected by the timing of the weather so far and hopefully it will all clear up soon.  Good luck everyone.
  • Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

hi all

I have signed up for Barca , booked digs and flights . Just completed my first 20 miler today, It  was not easy with  all the ice still around but managed to only fall over the once , must say its been hard training the last few weeks .

I can't seem to find a suitable half marathon to schedule in , has any one else scheduled in any races prior to barca? 

• Hi Jiffie King

I just checked my entry confirmation and it say Chip: No, but the registration form asks if you have a chip number and I selected no, I think thats what it means.  Did you get any response to your enquiry?

Hope the training is going well !

• I've managed three consecutive 1 hour runs afer a month out due to weather and I have a revised schedule to try and get ready for Barcalona but I don' have any room for injury or bad weather.

• Mark30m - It was me who has no chip and Jiffle King kindly suggested a way to get in touch. I ended up calling them directly as I received no response from my e-mail. I spoke to a really helpful guy who is giving my enquiry to the relevant person. The good news is that it is not late if anyone is in the same position.

On the training front...I am trying to get out each day as the weather is fabulous and we are bound to have snow Jan/Feb. I'm planning a 29kms hilly route on New Year's Eve.

Happy training everyone!
  • Thanks Elizabeth

Have you looked at the entry form again? Would you agree that the NO means you don't have your own chip?

Impressed with your long run havent done over 25k since before Amsterdam, managed 20 on snow last weekend will be building up now its drier image 

• Marc - No, my understanding is that I have said 'no' to one of their chips. I am expecting an e-mail from someone who specifically deals with the chips; as soon as I know more I will let you know.

Just over 10 weeks to go!!
  • Hi Elizabeth

I asked the question on their Facebook group and here's what was said:

Several people on Runnersworld forum are worried that their race entry confirmations say "Chip: No". Can you please confirm this means they don't have their own chip and one will be provided? Many thanks image

I've stopped panicking now image.

• Mark - Fantastic news!! I wonder why the guy in Barcelona didn't tell me that when I called the other day. So, panic over I assume. Thanks for letting me know.
  • I did this in March this year and it was wonderful, you'll all have a great time. My flight arrival time was 6pm so rather than risking a delay I contacted the organisers who have a bib/goodie bag pick up point in a hotel in the city centre. If you do decide this is your best option you must let them know at least 3 days before otherwise everything goes to the expo.

BTW we had the worst snowfall of the past 25 years and motorways & airports were closed the day after the maraimage - so much for being sunny!!!

• The snowfall the day after last years marathon was very unusual, and the roads and ariports were not prepared. A number of flights were cancelled, but many still left. It is very unlikely that there will be snow this year and I expect the temperature to be around 14 degrees. Today it is 13 degrees and very nice as I popped in 20 miles and it was 15 degrees when I landed last night. Jan/Feb are usually cold (8-10) and then March warms up.
    For those who are looking to see whether they need a chip or not, most people in Spain who run have their own as it is only about 5 euros to get one. The races charge about 3 euros to rent one for the day.

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Managed a 18 mile run today , the first in a while without snow or ice , made a nice change to run without constantly looking at the ground in front of you .

Time to now get in the groove and pick up the training ,  only 6 or 7 weeks  before taper.