Barcelona Marathon 2011

Comments

• Feeling human again, just! 5 days in bed feeling completely grim with flu.

I have just returned from a SLOW 7km run. I felt as though I was floating. Last week I managed only 14kms as oppose to 91km the week before. I really hope that the flu hasn't scuppered my plans for a PB.

5 weeks today folks and we will be busy at the Expo etc. I have some catching up to do before then!!

Happy training everyone.
  • Energy gels and drinks?
    I see some of you have run this before. Which energy drinks and/or gels are available? This is my first marathon and I am hoping for 3.30ish.
  • Glad you're feeling a bit better Elizabeth no fun being ill.... especially so close to a marathon image hope you make a full recovery soon.

Only 5 weeks yes, gulp, digs are finally booked, a nice little apartment 5-10 mins walk from the start... so no worries about getting transport to the start (struggled in Dam as the bus we used for expo on saturday wasn't running on marathon day!!)

Ian not sure if anyone mentioned energy drinks on here earlier, Powerade is a major sponsor.so I am assuming that that will be the energy drink for the race (just a guess??) As for gels, not sure, I will be bringing my own with me, don't fancy running the race and experimenting with some I haven't used befor.

Race is getting bigger 12,952, so almost 13,000 entries so far.

• How has everyone got on with their LSRs today?

A tough 22miler for me today in 3.08. I am suffering serious pain in my calves now though.
  • Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Elizabeth

glad your feeling better , I am sure you will be fine ,sound like you have done enough  training prior to the flu to get you through , its the training put in the last couple of months which will get you the pb.

Keyboard worrier I also done a long one today 23 mile in 3.02 , muscles a bit sore , niggles everywhere at the moment , I even had to take a few anti inflams last week due to calf pain.

Jpatko

Powerade it is then ,thats quite palatable , wonder if its in cups or bottles

in 5 weeks time will hopefully celebrating completing the mararthon ,

Jiffle King

Thanks for your usefull tips so far , I have read elsewhere that Garmins dont seem to work that well throughout the city due to the high buildings , just wondered what your experiences are ?

As I find it so much easier running to the watch.

• OMG Dean - I hope that you have read incorrectly...I could not do without my Garmin. Is there any way that we can find out?

I'm feeling MUCH better; thanks for the good wishes. I ran 17kms this morning without any dizziness. Planning to do a 30km tomorrow.
  • Keyboard Worrier / Dean = good efforts on the long runs.

Was supposed to be doing 20 yesterday, only managed 16 as my running partner decided to go off at a pace - ended up doing 16 in under 2.08. No surprise I didn't have much in the tank.

I was also quite tired as I missed my training Mon and Tues due to work - so ran Weds - Sun, including a tough 11 miler on Friday night, which I think took quite a bit out of me.

Got a few niggles in my knees and thighs today - easy 4 tonight, will definitely be easy !!

Elizabeth - I'm with you on the Garmin - would really struggle to get my pace without checking on it every couple of seconds ! 

• Bump... well done on the long runs image

Had a dodgy pasta meal on saturday (carb loading!) was working through it trying to work out what flavour the new cheese was exactly?!? After about 3/4's of it I decided I couldn't eat anymore, I didn't like, so off I went to investigate.... only to discover the other half hadn't noticed that it was a little "blue and furry" I think she's trying to poison me, lol!! image

Got to 9 1/2miles when the churning stomach started, emergency toilet stop was at 10miles!! haha, then same again and had another ETS at 17miles. Managed to get going again and finally clocked 20.4miles. So pretty happy with that.

33 days to go!! image

• When is everyone planning to do their last LSR?

I am getting nervous now, not least because this bout of flu seems to have affected my fitness. I ran 10kms this morning and it took a full 7 mins longer than normal.
  • Very quickly - Powerade was the sponsor, but I don´t recall it being on the run... it might have been, but the website should say

I did not see any gels on the route

GPS...... strange, sometimes it works perfectly like on Sunday at the Half marathon and other times it struggles in places. Generally quite good and I don´t recall it being an issue last year for people I spoke with. 80% of my runs are fine... but sometimes it gets confused.

Oh and there are no mile markers, just km markers which pass pretty quickly

• Elizabeth - My last Long run will be 20+ miles on 13/2, followed by 14 and 10 in subsequent weeks (RW training prog).  I've only done one 20 mile run and a handful of runs about 13-16 in the last 2 months, which is similar to pre Amsterdam.  The next 2 weeks are probably the most important.

GPS - My Garmin has gone wonky a couple of times during races - Edinburgh 10k and Amsterdam Marathon.  I don't bother with the pace facility, just check the time as I pass the markers.

Only 32 days.

• Hello everyone! Been keeping an eye on this forum for a while now and feeling quite smug that my training was going well. The snow didnt cause any real issues and my running has felt great. Then in the last two weeks my legs have packed in! Calf is really painful and have spent the last couple of weeks getting acupuncture, ultrasound and sports massage (didn't work!) and now spending every chance I get with leg resting on a hot water bottle! As a stubborn fool I carried on running which has caused all manner of other aches and pains to come to the surface and then to top things off, woke up today feeling awful with a cold and sore throat! Damn my weak body! Why do we put ourselves through this...?!
  • Dafjon - sending you speedy recovery vibes!!
  • Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Elizabeth

Done a 23 miler last weekend and have the next 2 weekends 2 20 milers planned then the following week a 16 followed by 12 , previous marathons I have never done more than 3 20 milers but trying a different 

approach this time but is taken its toll , finding it hard to  train two days in a row.

Dafron I know what it feels like with the niggles ,I  have had my fair share the last few weeks .

Jiffle King Thanks for the info re Gps ,

I think I will make up a pace band with k's time just in case of any problems.

one more week after this one of hard training then the taper starts!

• Dean - It might be worth asking some others on the sub 3 thread if there were pacing bands. I know Dan A did the race last year and a couple of others as well I think.

The half marathon was very good last weekend in perfect conditions (Apart from a bit of rain in the middle) It reminded me that the start can be more chaotic than a UK race. People leave it until the very very last minute to arrive. One good thing is that despite very few toilets, hardly anyone seems to need to go just before the race. Last Sunday was the first time I have seen a minor problem and even then, everyone still started fine.

GPS.... There is never normally an issue around Plaça Espana, but sometimes when I run the back streets to Camp Nou I lose a little, but we will be on major roads so I think it will be fine.

• Finished a 30km run this morning with 879m of descent - very disappointed with my time; the flu has definitely affected my performance. I am going to have to re-adjust my expected finish time in Barca. With only 1 more LSR before taper I am unlikely to improve...sad but true.

What is everyone planning to wear on the big day? Shorts & t-shirt or long sleeves & running trousers?

Bon weekend !
  • Please note that the Monday might be a bank holiday in BCN. I say might be as work have yet to confirm to me, but this just means the shops (including supermarkets) will be generally closed. Tourist stuff will be open and restaurants as usual. Will confirm when I find out more..

It was 14 degrees this morning on my long run..... lets hope it cools down

• Thanks for the good vibes Elizabeth! Got a 5 mile easy in today, first run in over a week and nose was running and legs killing so I know how you feel. I'm gonna have to taper a bit later than I had originally wanted to as was hoping to get a few more long ones in, but based on today, the 20miler I've got planned for later in the week is going to be tough.

For me its definitely shorts and t-shirt as whatever weather Barcelona has in store cant be as bad as I'm used to in North Wales.
  • Hello to all

I know how people feel with not being able to do as many LSR's as they feel they need.  So far i have done, 16, 18 and 20 milers.  I anticipate that this weekend i will do another 20 and that may be my last. before taper. 

I intend to wear shorts and t-shirt / vest.

Looking forward to the race.

• Having misplaced my running mojo after last weekends LSR I have found it again and hope to be back in business with another long run tomorrow. Re timetabled Christmas poultry run on Sunday. May get another long run in next week before starting to taper. I am really looking forward to it, my aim is to try and get a Boston qualifying time. There it is out in the open now for all to see, there can be no turning back image
  • Less than a month now! Scary stuff!

At least after a disasterous running Christmas and subsequently I was well down going into january and quite pleased about how things are coming on. I'm not going to have time to build up to anything longer than about 15 mile long run but at least I'm feeling in much better shape than a month ago!!

So does everyone who have done it before agree that it is definately a PB course? I got a time I was really happy with in Amsterdam in October, has anyone done both and know how they compare in terms of speed?

Cheers!

Happy running!!

• I have never done it before but I just can't see it being as flat as Amsterdam. I have looked on the Barcelona Marathon website at the Altimetry(?) and there is an alarming up hill finish.

Just finished my LSR of 22. Struggled a lot with it compared to the last one. Perhaps I should not have ran last night. I am knackered now.
  • Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

As Kw says can;t be as flat as Amsterdam but I dont think the slight inclines are to much to worry about .

Think if you have put the training in def a pb course Richw

The weather is what we dont to mess up plans , a sunny  15 0r 16 c will be very hard work after training all through the winter , so lets hope for a cool day , got another 3 runs to do this week then its taper time!

• Good luck with the BostonQT KW .....lost my LSR mojo this weekend, was feeling rough so skipped it!!! I was only planning to do 10-12miles so no harm done hopefully.

Last big LSR planned this weekend coming, full dress rehersal, carb up, early night then mid morning run for 20-21 miles.... well that's the plan.

Amsterdam wasn't flat, can you not remember coming out of that underpass towards the end image 

Just been looking at the run-in on mapmy and it looks like a couple of short sharp slopes on the way back from the beach and up Ronda St Pau, could be a sting in the tail for tired legs!

26 days to go!!

• Oh that underpass was horrible! I remember heading towards it and thinking "this is going to huuuuurt!"

Good luck with the Poultry Run KW, that at Loftus? I did that one a few years back, first few miles uphill, overtook a fair few runners going up, then cross through a farmer's field about halfway into the race which had been all torn up before freezing solid. I ended up starfished on my front with all the folks I'd overtook leaping over me like it was some sort of steeplechase, shouting 'are you OK!?' as they sailed over me! Wonder if the prizes are still turkeys? Go for it with the Boston time, now that is supposed to be a hilly one!

Last LSR for me will hopefully peak at 22 miles this weekend, then bring on the taper madness!

• Was really looking forward to `Barca`..... Training was going great ....I was `flying`....

Then

Half marathon last Sunday... Knee gave me so much pain ...I had to stop after the first mile... Bugger !!

After a shower yesterday... towel drying my thinning hair..and I`ve cricked my neck so badly I cant move my head !

4 weeks to go and its a battle to get to the start !!!

God I`m so old !!

I`m only telling you all ...as I`m getting No sympathy from my wife !!!!

• JPatko - also lost my lsr mojo this weekend - only managed 12...I'll blame it on the wind which was horrendous.

Back on track this week with a 4 and a tough 8 last night.

Am doing a 22 miler this Sunday though and like you am treating it as a dress rehearsel for the big one (except for the pace !)

Still not decided on what to wear - probably t shirt and shorts, though I am a bit of a wuss and have enjoyed runnig in 3 layers the last couple of months. !!!

Not done a marathon before - aiming for 3.30 following the RW timetable. Am looking forward to the tapering starting next week.....

• Is it a PB course?

I did it last year as a training run for London and I think it is. The crowds are less than London and after the first couple of miles, the course is downhill/flat for nearly all the next 32km. The last uphill is not too bad (It´s up Carrer Parallel) and you turn off at one point to stop the monotony. Someone on the sub 3 thread suggested this uphill might add 8 seconds to your time... I think thats about fair. It´s a steady small gradient, so nothing worth worrying about. With the finish, it is halfway up Plaça Espana not at the start.

• Thanks for the opinions on if it's a PB course. By the responses it sounds like it's definately worth a crack!

JPAtko - I certainly do remember the under pass and it was those couple of little bridges towards the end that did me! I was just clinging onto sub 3 pass untill I hit them and couldn't hold it!

Anyone else got any races left before the big day? I've got the Dover half on Sunday to see where I'm at. Hopefully I won't break myself in the process of finding that out!

• I have an 8 mile multi terrain on Sunday and I can't decide whether I need to do another very long run or just concentrate on MP runs and taper. Its all too complicated.