Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• Andrea- yeah, I realised my mistake todayimage. just going to repeat the first weekimage
  • Ah good!  I just knew that i'd calculated having to start today for Llanelli which is the week after London!! Which level are you doing this time?  And do you reckon school will e open tomorrow???

• Hi all,

Good news - the weather is forecast to improve towards the weekend, temperatures are set to rise above freezing. It should be a welcome break for those who have been unable to run due to the ice and bad weather.

Just entered the MCN Wye Valley 50 in March. I'm unable get my head around how anyone can do a 100, hats off to you all.

• Don't wish to be a Jonah, but I'm a weather website addict and the long range forecast is that the weekend respite will be brief and temporary; back to the big freeze up to the New Year image
  • Frodo that is what i had heard aswell.....bad weather set to continue through into next year........better not get onto ranting about the sub standard attention our CC has paid to the situation.  image 

Well wanted to get a long run done soonish to see if i was up to doing Gloucester in January and with little hope of a thaw i decided to opt for the dreaded treadmill .......19 miles done and dusted .....but did use my shorter distance trainers to run in and now have two corking blister on my toes.....and on the two toes that took all the battering running up to Snowdon......i think it is going to call for some compeed plasters before i go out againimageimageimage

• NQ2- get on the beach! Dreadmill ain't proper running- it's just jumping up and down while the road moves beneath you!imageimage

Andrea- school-? frost here seems heavier than last night- road outside our place is like a skating rink again- minus 3 at the moment and dropping, so don't hold out too much hopeimage Dropping down a P&D level due to work being heavier this time of year- only 1 run per day most days  70-85m plan, but going to push the pace a tad more on the LRs in compensation- planning on doing last few ms at RPimage

• NQ 2 - 19 miles on a treadmill is an outstanding effort, well done.
  • NQ2 & sk4- an outstanding effort - mentally!image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

stephen k - but you've just done 40 miles!  It's only 60 more.  And you don't have to go flat out all the time.  In fact it's quite usual to walk during the night section.

There's no way I could last for 19 miles on a treadmill.  That's  impressive, nicola.  Hope you had it on a slight slope.

TR38 - you'll get through this, buddy.  Easy does it on your come back.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Not sure about going public with this recipe you know.  But I suppose if there is sufficient demand ...  brer - the proof will be in the eating.
  • JD....the only slight problem i can see with your idea is actually getting to the beach......i live 1000ft above sea level ...which means plenty of down hills ......not such a good idea in this weather on top of this i would first have to get up our track....another no go area......last issue is that my car is so frozen i think the door handle would have snapped off rather than let the door open....ahhhhhhhhhhhh the joys of artic weather !!!! But have to say had i been able to get there i would far rather have had a run on the beach......mentally nealry as tough as the treadmill image....

T-rex ...yes slight incline all the way image 

• T Rex - I intend to do a couple of 50's first, I'm going to enter the Lakeland 50 next year and I'm doing the Wye Valley in March.

I'll build myself up physically and mentally over the next 12 months with a view to doing a 100 in 2012.

I Will be seeking your advice re event/race strategy.

• Beach great idea JD but as with NQ2 problem is getting there roads not brill around here and i'm a wuss driving at the best of times.image hopefully if the weather improves will be able to get to the forestry on Sunday bit worried that after no running since SNOD i'll of forgotton how to though. image

Good news is knee ok after my dancey aerobic DVD last night and boy did it feel good to be exercising again image

• Hi all

T-rex physio sounds painfulimage  Thanks for the encouragement going to do an easy run this week to see where leg is at, if no pain all good, if pain then going to go see someone.

• T-Rex ...sorry i missed your post regarding your physio.....glad you had a positive response........and yes it is painfull.....if you go and it doesnt hurt you somehow feel a bit cheated image
  • Just back from a bracing minus 9 trot of 10 miles and one slip!! I'm emmigrating, Daymion-do you have a spare room?image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Oops - have I stumbled onto the wrong forum here?

About the physio - I find it hard to comprehend how someone so fair looking and politely spoken could inflict such outrageous pain.

stephen k - only joking about that 100!  It takes quite a time to build up to those sorts of distances.  It's taken me several years, and although I've done quite a few now there is a tremendous amount to learn about ultras.  I still feel like a novice.  Nearly every time I complete one I wonder when on earth I'm ever going to get any better at them, and sometimes I feel like I never want to do another.  The feeling usually goes away by the next day.  But ultras are always very memorable - the camaraderie is always excellent and you can get to some remote and scenic spots.

• T Rex - No problem buddy, I'l see how I go, one step at a time as they say. Gets bit addictive this running lark.

Good luck with the injury, I hope the pain is easing.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Quantitatively.
  • Are we all ok? I am freezingimage Just ordered thermal running tights and am going for a very hot bath! All well Trex?
  • I had a phone call from my doctor's surgery today asking if I was ever going to collect and pay for the medical certificate I need for the Paris Marathon - I'd left with them to complete before SNOD. I'd totally forgotten about it! imageimage

I think that kind of sums up my last 5-6 weeks since DNS-ing at Snowdonia. I've barely run and been in complete denial about the plans for racing in 2011

So this evening, over half a stone heavier than in October, I finally made it out of the door for a 5 mile potter. I refused to take the Garmin - there is no way I wanted to know just how slow I was going - and skidded around the streets.

First ten minutes were miserable - but then I found my rhythm and really quite enjoyed myself

So now it is time to sort the schedule and pen it into the diary image
  • Go Frodo, go Frodo hehehe imageimage

Nice to hear you running again image

• Your a star Frodo image 

i've got Chester 1/2, Race the Train and SNOD on my calender with the appropriate start training dates marked down too trouble is need to actually start running again image feeling decidedly unfit at the moment.  But, in a bid to combat that i've gone and bought myself Insanity - it's a 60 day DVD based workout programme all based on pylometrics and stuff  - it looks really intense and hard but strangely fun.  Will keep you posted on here if it's any good once i'm brave enough to start.

• Thanks guys image

Riding the positivity wave at the moment and hopeful of getting out again tonight, work/life/dog/weather permitting image

Then there's the Stockport 10 miler on Sunday and after that I'll be sorting out the Paris training plan - I'm waiting my delivery of Advanced Marathoning from Amazon at the moment... (though the idea of following an Advanced plan makes me giggle image)

• Glad to hear you're out and about again Frodo!

And the advanced marathoning plan is welllllllllll worth doing! I followed the easiest (take that with a pinch of salt) plan and took 50mins off my marathon time!

At a bit of a loss here as to what to do next........I made it through to the boot camp stage of the Asics Super Six competition, spent a fantastic day in Birmingham with the coaches etc, but didn't make the shortlist for voting so I'm now wondering whether or not i really want to do a spring marathon or not! Can;t decide and really have to fairly soon before they all fill up!!!

Just keeping the running ticking over here.....6 miles on monday, wednesday and today.. all in daylight and all slippy....taking advantage of school closures, sick teenagers (but not too sick to mind the little one while i grab a quick run!!) Feeling like i need to go and do a big LSR this weekend and make my spring marathoning decision based on how i feel!

• Sorry to hear you didn't make the final list, Andrea - you'd have had my vote image

No run this evening - rain is creating a street-wide skating rink image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Frodo - I hope it wasn't the cost of that medical certificate that has put you off running ...

Andrea - why wouldn't you want to do a springtime marathon?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sub-3

• wayne mayer 2

3:15

• arch stanton

3:30

• Greg C.
    • NJ1979

3:40

• runwithmysetter
    • stephen kavanagh 4

3:50

• nicola quinn 2
    • Run Jono

Sub-4

• BritNick
    • Chimney
    • panad
    • Reydon Rover
    • Tattooed Runner38
    • T Rex

4:30

• Mr Ben

Sub-5

• the mighty pudding

Also running

• Andrea B
    • Artie Fufkin, Polymer Records
    • brer rabbit
    • Chrissi
    • clairster
    • David Lewis 77
    • Drunken Euphoria on tour
    • *Frodo*
    • hamrag
    • John Bach
    • Muzza
    • powell1
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • stilldreaming
    • TomS
    • WeV

Undecided

• Dina Mo
    • emma whaley
    • jason d
    • Richard36
    • Stret09
  • TRex...just not really got my head round thinking about training properly again yet i guess!  I find it really hard to find the time to train over the winter when i'm working all day and it's dark before i get home, but i guess if i'm going to keep on running I may as well train for a spring marathon!  Logic there somewhere!

Thanks Frodo x