100mpw

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

depends how you define a low key race!

32min would win the majority of 10k races I'd have thought unless you start going into races with 1,000+ people or well renowned fast courses.

I've seen a lot of 10ks won in the 34-36 domain

• I suppose it also depends on the area of the country you race in some places will no doubt have quicker runners than others
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    any news on a race? That's the real acid test.
  • when do you intend to race and in the 3rd low mileage week do you do speedwork?

surely you need some sessions faster than 5.35mm if you want to race at 5.10?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

racing at 5.10 image

• Training is going well. I am still on the same plan. The onl thing which has changed is the tempo pace. I am managing to knock out a 34.00-34.15 10k in the middle of a 9 mile run now. I had pencilled in a race a fortnight ago but I had a tightness in my hamstring and i thought there was a good chance racing would make it a lot worse, so i gave it a miss.

I know that putting yourself on the line and racing is the only true test of performance and i am looking forward to racing soon, but the funny thing is that because i can sense the improvement week by week and i don't feel the compulsion to go out and notch up a good time as soon as possible. I think 32.xx is maybe only six weeks (and six pounds) away, and that would be new territory. So I am quite happy to hang on until then.
  • when you started this programme what was your 10km time?
  • No speedwork in the third week at all. Nothing quicker than about 6.15 minute miling pace. I think that is really important. The aim is to get to the start of the next block of hard training feeling fresh. It's tempting to try and do some quicker stuff during the easy week but i try and remind myself that i will be running the tempo and interval work at a slightly faster pace than in the previous block so i need to have a mini taper to be able to handle it.
  • I raced over 10 mile in october in a shade over 60 minutes so that probably equates to 36.30 for 10k.
  • Hi, was interested to find out if there was any progress? i read this thread and was quite keen to see the results of the extra mileage.

Esp' as i'm slowly upping my mileage (for different reasons). Would love the know the outcome....

• I haven't put myself on the line and raced, so strictly I can't claim to have any formal improvement.  My training is indicating that I can hold about 5.20-5.25 pace for 10k, so that's around a 3 minute improvement since October.

I think I said at an early stage that the mileage wasn't really making me exhausted, and that's still the case.  I haven't had any residual muscle tiredness from day to day.  I only do one run a week that's over 9 miles and I think that stops me from getting tired.

If you look at my training I think it is quite easy to poke holes in every aspect: not enough long runs; steady runs should be quicker; easy runs should be slower; should have more conventional rest days rather than an easy week, but for some reason I find it works just right for me.

• Twatt - for the distances you are aiming at and the mileage you are doing I doubt the lack of long runs matter.  You're not really going to make is wait 5 weeks before you race are you?

By the way - calling you Twatt must be the internet equivalent of Blackadder's Captain Darling.

• Cool, thx for the update.

I think if it's working then it's justified. i would have though a race is the only really guage of this tho...

I am currently between 50 - 60 miles a week, but wanna push up to 60 - 70. But totally the opposite to you, 9miles would be one of my shortest.

I'm quite impresed that you dont get that tired after that high mileage.

• It must be that time of year when there are loads of 10k races to pick from.

Have you got one in mind Twatt?

I always find having a goal race as an incentive to train for, rather than just plod along with nothing on the horizon to strive for.

• Training has been a bit uneven over the last month. 

I picked up a bit of  a hamstring strain and more recently a quite acute pain somewhere between one of my quads and my knee.  Fortunately they each arrived just at the end of my fortnight of hard training, so in both cases I just rested completely for about four days and then got back to the running.  In some ways the hard/hard/very easy approach means that I don't beat myself up when I need to take some time out.

The strange thing is that I don't think that they are overuse injuries or even directly caused by running.  I am pretty sure that they've come about from overdoing the stretching.  I know that sounds peculiar but I do have a tendency to stretch till it hurts! I'm making sure I just keep it gentle.

Anyway, despite the plan going slightly out of the window, things seem to be improving.  Yesterday, which was the first day back since the keen pain, I did a single 8 mile run at 7min/miling, which as a result of the enforced rest, felt like a stroll.  There wasn't a breath of wind either which is always nice.

This lunchtime I hit the gym and did a 45 minute run.  The first 15 mins were at 14km/h at 1%, and then I cranked it up to 16.7km/h at 3% (which I think equates to about 5.30min/miling) for the last 30 minutes.  The faster bit felt fine.  I was comfortable enough to be able to watch the whole of Bargain Hunt on the box and predict that the junk they were buying was actually proper shite.

• Sounds like you are making some real progress Twatt (agree with Moraghan about the name btw, sorry image)

What're your plans for the future? You don't seem to be going through any major setbacks from this mileage, and you're sensible enough to rest & recover when something does go wrong. You must be hopeful of keeping this mileage going for a good while?
  • 16.7k/min is ~5:47/mile image

60min/16,7k ~ 3.6min/k

3.6min/k*1.609 ~ 5.78min/mile -> 5:47/mile

• Thankyou Professor Magnusson

Your analysis doesn't take into account the fact that the gradient was set at 3%. At 16.7kmh, a treadmill set at 1.5% will be equivalent to 5.47 min/miling. A 3% incline is 5.30.

Of course there is a school of thought that says it's all bollocks anyway because it's not outside running.
  • Twatt - stretching seems to be an individual thing, but I found reducing to ~3s per stretch (left hamstring, right hamstring, right calf, right soleus, left calf, left soleus) works well for me.  Plus it's all done within a minute which helps maximise running time.

That said, East Africans tend to spend hours after a morning run doing stretching and core work.  I'd probably do more if it's warm and sunny - and had no day job to go to.

• Despite the title of this thread, it's been quite a while since I put in 100mpw.  For the last few months the average has been about 85mpw.  Still, who's counting?

I picked up another niggle - hip bursitis.  Nothing serious at all, just a bit of soreness now and again.  I forgot to do any stretching for about three days last week. I don't know what I was thinking of.  If I don't stretch within the first few minutes of returning from a run it just goes completely out of my head.  I've done plenty of hip/glute/ITB stretches and everything seems back in order.

I rested last Thursday and Friday completely, and then I had the idea that I might do one of those Parkruns.  I've done a couple of these a few years ago, and I think my pb is something over 18 minutes.  I did a quick calculation and worked out that I might be able to turn in a time tantalising close to sub-16.  As it happened when Saturday morning came I couldn't get out of bed!  Call me peculiar but I kind of resolved that I would give it a few more weeks to make sure that when I did run one it would be 15 something.  Going from 18.20 to say 15.55 would be quite something.  Just read that through - I sound like a complete dreamer!

Anyway what I didn't dream was a 30 minute stint on the old treadmill today at 17kmh and 3%.  I think that equates to a 33.40 10k.  My legs were certainly going like fury.  It's a bit strange to see them going like stink in the plate mirror and yet being in control of my breathing.  The pace certainly felt quicker than tempo but a bit off 10k race pace, maybe I could of held that pace for 8-9 miles at a push.

For those who are wondering where all this is leading - I have entered a race. It's at the beginning of April.  I'm shitting myself at the prospect.

• Are you sure you can get out of bed for that one.......

Having been a decent runner in the past, and struggling badly now...... I used to find to that the summer months was when myself and friends would normally set our decent times..... Two reasons, first warmer (I do like a bit of heat) and second there's alot more evening races, more enjoyable than the sunday (two hours after falling out of bed) race,,,,,  

Basically, I would'nt be shitting myself about races in april (weather is still to unpredicable), look futher ahead and use that as a goal,,,,

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good work Twatt, the sooner you get a race done and dusted the better. Otherwise the pressure to perform will reach epic levels!

Give the race your best shot, and you'll see where you are. image

• I'm not really concerned about the weather.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Would have thought March/April is ideal time to race.

Not many fare very well in the hot months in comparison!

• Stevie G / Twatt, I think your missing the point slightly...... Was just offering a idea that some people do perform better in evening events....

Stevie I do agree, he needs to get a 10km in the bag, for a lot of reasons.... And not just for all of us who have been following his thread who are curious to what effect his daunting training will have on his previous time.....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Fair enough Blue Nose, some of those evening summer races do seem to produce some decent results at times, and by then the heat has worn off a bit.

Only thing against is that you're not as fresh as the morning always.

• Been following this thread with interest for some time now, agree with these guys Twatt, the sooner you lay down that 10K marker the better! what race are you looking at for April?

with Stevie on the weather front, my best times alway come late spring and autumn, usually spend the summer falling to pieces in the heat! Crisp early morning April sunshine....thats got PB written all over it! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the only times I set pbs in the summer, are on 5ks, which I never do outside of that period, or when my pb is a bit fat anyway!

However, we often don't get too high a temperature anyway, so probably won't be too much of a problem!

I remember doing my local half marathon in mid July a few times in the hottest weather ever...must have been a nutter!

• "I'm shitting myself at the prospect." image

How funny do I find that given the pace you'll be knocking out.

Anyway...... Get on with it! The suspense is killing me.