Lyrics: yes

Comments

• Morning Gobi, a cracking choice of lyrics todayimage

What:4.5M Steady and soaked.

Why: Cause I just love running !

Have a good one peeps.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Arse indeed

Turbo session lasted 16 minutes as the wheel I was using punctured.(old tub) Sadly I had nicked the cassette off my turbo wheel but no worries thought I. Quick change but it turns out I have buckled my turbo wheel so that won't run in my TT bike. I do have 5 other wheels but I begrudge ruining another tyre so binned the session

Workout = 5 miles !!!!
  • Do I detect a birthday Gobi? If so - hope you have a good one. Pain about the wheels!

AF - that sounds like a stressy day.

What:                 swim.
    Why:                   it's Tuesday.
    Last hard:         7/11.
    Last rest:           4/11.

Lyrics - yes.

Humph, just looked at the Rutland results and they've used the gun time instead of chip times - which has cost me a top ten in my age group (which was broad enough at 40+) and two places overall. I know I probably shouldn't be bothered but I am - why chip time then use the gun?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

morning.

I know the lyrics.

Happy birthday Gobi!  Pain about the wheels.

LMUH - why don't  you query it with the organisers.

AF - sounds difficult.  Keep running, it will help.

What: 3.1 miles easy (av HR 132 so not bad for post marathon)
    Why: recovery
    Last hard: sunday
    Last rest: 6 April

Scotty's birthday last night so we had a lovely meal in a very expensive restaurant.  

Byeeee

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

happy birthday Gobi!! Sorry about the wheels

I know the lyrics

had a great run last night, 5.3 miles in51 mins and just feeling by body working with me the way it h asnt for months.  My legs are picking up better, I know I have said it before but the anaemia really makes it so hard! Glad to be taking spatone and feeling more human.

what: nothing

why: cant overcook it, feel tired today

last hard: last night

last easy: last weds

have a good day all, off to the spurs tonight for no doubt disappointment!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Happy birthday Gobi, and I believe that is welcome to a new age group!

Lyrics: yes

Nice work, Wabo. Enjoy the match!

Sounds tough AF.

What: probably about half an hour steady
    Why: niggles permitting

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Happy Birthday, Gobi!  Bummer about the wheels.

Great running, Wabo.

LMUH: I think it's gotta do with UK Athletics rules.  I remember some blurb about it when I raced the Brentwood half and I found it incredibly stupid then and still find it stupid now.

AF: Good luck on the job front. Been through a very similar process over the summer. Hardest thing: being rejected by the Hamburg branch of my previous employer in London without even gettig a chance to do an interview! That hurt.

What: probably 5 easy miles tonight
    Why: had my flu jab this morning
    Last hard: overcoming my fear of needles ...
    Last rest: Sunday
    Lyrics: of course!

Yesterday's lyrics. Money by Pink Floyd.

• Gobi - Maybe she'll buy you a new tub!! and a second hand wheel.

10 miles later. -  a return to a midweek longish run.

Weather crap!!

Its time to get used to getting soaked. I dont mind getting soaked its the accompanying gale that i disagree with. 

Talk later.

Silly but apt lyrics

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hanging head in shame that I  did not get yesterdays lyrics.....
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Paddy - sadly the new tub is sat beside the wheel, as for spare wheel we have lots but they all have certain tyres and functions. The training wheel needed the cassette which I did really quickly but then the wheel was buckled :¬(
  • In my cycling days I had A bike. I though I was fancy with a set of spare wheels for winter training! 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Gobi.

Lyrics: Of course!

what: Hopefully some weights and core in the gym later

Why: It's Tuesday

Weather rubbish here too, cycling to work is quite challenging when wind is gusting at 45 mph!

Have a good day all.

• Good afternoon

Gobi - Happy birthday!

Marathon report 06/11/10

Target sub 3:20.

Start in Kaapsehoop delayed by 20 minutes, eventually set off in a slight drizzle. First 6km undulating and all is well. The next 15km is basically downhill (bloody punishing, but downhill nonetheless) with some flat bits, however the clouds disappear and the sun is out. I hit halfway in 1:29 (2 minutes off my half PB) We turn off onto a dirt road after 21km for a 7km offroad run. This section includes some steep uphills which some guys decide to walk.

I keep the pace steady but I can feel disaster looming as we get back onto the tarred road. 25km in 1:47 (PB!!) and the wheels are buckling. By now it is bloody hot and I feel like shit, the second half of the course is undulating with some bastard hills. 32km in 2:18 (12 min 20 mile PB!!) and the poopoo hits the fan big time as I pass a famous Supersport television presenter who used to run 2:20 marathons but now in his late 40's settles for sub 3's. 'I thought this is supposed to be a fast marathon!' I gasp. 'Yeah right' he replies.

I am seeing purple elephants next to the road by now and I know sub 3 (which surprisingly became a possibility) is not going to happen. 35km in 2:31 and the wheels come off big time. I decide to cruise in elegantly (read: swearing, promising to never run another mile, walking a bit, swearing, looking for someone to kick, walking, swearing, walking a bit and some more swearing) At this stage I am sure I will miss 3:20, as the guy behind me vomits without missing a stride, pretty impressive. I pick up the second lady as we enter the town of Nelspruit, and even though I am dying a slow and horrible death, manage to hang in there to the finish.

3:08 translates to a 17 minute PB and I am happy. The temperature went up to around 35 degrees C (the humidity was hectic) during the second part of the race and many runners bailed or missed their target by more than a couple of minutes. I am pretty buggered as those downhill sections were brutal and I will only be able to run by the weekend as the damage is second only to Comrades.

What: Cake
    Why: It's Gobi's birthday
    Last hard: Getting up and sitting down
    Lyrics: I can cry too

Have a good one!

I will visit this happy thread more often in future.

• Brilliant Sportaloo: the run wasn't bad either! Lots of well dones! Enjoy the cake!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hello image

Gobi - many happy returns image

Sportaloo - thats a brilliant result. By the temperature I guess you are in South Africa - not Holland as I thought when I saw the town names image -recover well.

LmUH & Chick - I agree about chip V gun times. It should be Gun time for race result (it IS a race and not a timetrial) and chip for PB  / qualifying purposes - no point in having it otherwise.  image

What - 3 x 1600 @5k + pace

Why -  aerobic power

Lyric - yes

Think I am going to do parkrun again this week despite dodgy weather forcast. It was such a good race last week.image - seems I won the M40 category on Saturday - which was a nice bonus. 

• Hiya sporta!  Great report and a massive PB!  Looking forward to your visits

Gobi:  Happy birthday!  Are you an official old codger now then?

• What:  5m
    • Why:  It's "termination day"
    • Last Hard:  Trying to avoid Arnold Schwarzenegger
    • Last Rest:  8/11

Have a good one!

• Fantastic report and well battled race Sportaloo - would be good to see you around more often.

41H - but if that's the case the start needs to be something other than a funnel that takes several minutes to get through - and surely it should be the fastest runner who wins if you can differentiate that from the person who was first to cross the start line? Not that I'm still miffed or anything.

AF - things could be worse, I'm not sure how but I'm sure they could and maybe will be soon image

Pleased not to drown in my swimming lesson - and to be able to swim hard and fast despite some residual tiredness from Sunday.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I am indeed officially OLD !!!!!!!!

Sporta fails to mention it is someone elses birthday today

HIS !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Happy Brithday Gobi, sorry I forgot to mention that earlier.image

Sportaloo: Well done ! and Happy Birthdayimage

• Happy birthday Gobi and Sportaloo!

What: weights

Why: Tuesday

Last hard: tonight

Last rest: Saturday

Lyrics: yes. image

Getting a bit bored with my weights workout. Anybody got any suggestions? Thinking of using one of the recent Runner's World ones, maybe the one with the woman with the kettlebell (last month or month before last) as we have kettlebells. Want to maintain upper body strength, add to core/ab strength and work some leg muscles that may not get used in a run (i.e hamstrings). A full body, in other words. I realise this is mostly about running but, hey, if you've got any good tips, feel free. 

• LMUH - I see what you mean. Point taken image. I think you are 100% correct - I came from a track background where this is not such a factor.

It is not too bad in small races, but anything big or with a very narrow start is a pain. Perhaps a "waved start" in age groups would be better? They do this in triathlon I think?  The use of chip times is fine for you and I - but UKA (and other such things) get all worked up about "rolling starts" and other  things that shouldn't apply to us "non-elite" types. I love the chip timing as it gets quick& acurate (usually) results out. I used to do a lot of track races and you could wait days (weeks even) for official times...

You have a right to be a bit miffed as you ran faster and were placed lower.   

Spotaloo - happy birthday too!!!!

• Sporta - great effort and really neat report - happy birthday youngster!!

Gobi - welcome to the world of Masters' running - happy 40th!!

LMUH - That has happened to me a lot, as they always use gun time for placing here too. So if you think you have a chance of placing in your age-group - you must start near the front. It isn't nice and especially if you are as old as me - people look and think what is that old thing doing up here! And of course if you like starting slower and coming through the field it is not going to happen if you start near the front.

In the Auckland marathon, it was also the NZ marathon champs, so all registered runners were told to start just behind the elite start. Our numbers were identified by a line through them. There was a list of those entered in this and I started beside the woman that I thought I would have to beat. I finished 19secs behind her, and 2nd in my age-group, but when the results came out, there were 2 others in my age-group ahead of us but they weren't registered with Athletics NZ so makes my silver medal not very special! 

I think they do that mainly because someone can win the race and then when results come out someone that actually got 3rd or something like that, but started way back in the field has a faster chip time and all hell breaks loose about who actually won the thing. It happened one year here in NZ. I think they ended up having to give the other person a prize of equal value.

What: 3 mile easy run - all that I'm able to do at the moment.

• Happy Birthday Sportaloo! 

41H - yes, in tri it's your chip time that counts so I guess I've gotten used to that.

NZC - it's not really a big deal for me as I'm not likely to place in running races but I wouldn't feel right to say that I came in the top 10 in my age group (and in this case they didn't even bother with age groups really - it was above and below 40!) when anyone checking my results will see at first glance that I was 11th - does that make sense? Are you feeling better?

• mavamava ✭✭✭

hey Sporta, good to see you - fab PB and a birthday too.   I  hope you have celebrated big time.

I take my chip time as my time for any race since I have to start so far back. 

• I like chip timing. Being a girlie and a few years advanced I don't start at the front and therefore always loose seconds or minutes waiting to cross the line. The chip tells me how fast (or slow) I ran a particular race. Clock times only favour elites and more normally males, more commonly younger males, who can start at the front.

What - swim 2k and some technique practice - I'll get there.
    track - 400 x 8; 200 x2
    run - bliddy ell did a fast circuit with the club - legs have now fallen off.

bath time!

Happy Birthday Sportaloo & Gobi

Lyrics yes

• Evening,

I see I missed some marathon action over the weekend - congratulations LMUH, Mava, Gobi and Sportaloo! LMUH, I know what you mean about the timing... I understand gun times counting when it's a smaller race, but in bigger events when it can take several minutes to cross the start line it makes more sense to go by the chip. That said you still did very well!

And happy birthday to Gobi and Sporta too imageimage

Hello BMM, nice to see you on here.

Hope you managed to avoid Arnie, AF.

What: 40 mins cross-training in the gym

Why: Poxy foot

Last hard: Getting through three days of no running without murdering someone

Last rest: Sunday

Lyrics: No

Well... I went out for around 7 miles on Bonfire night, which was lovely but still uncomfortable. The next day I was running for a train and it made my foot hurt even more, so that evening I went to A&E to have it checked out. Was poked and prodded and sent for an x-ray - fortunately there's no bone damage, so it looks like I've just sprained my anterior talofibular ligament. So, no running for a couple of weeks, or at least until I can walk pain-free. Hence the cross-training... it's just not the same. In the absence of running I've become completely addicted to Desperate Housewives.