Trionium Greensand Marathon 2011

Comments

• Thanks Peter, I live in hope.

Don't suppose you are the same Peter Everitt that is a Horsham Jogger?

• No, sorry - that must be an impostor! There can't possibly be more than one of me!!
  • I'm in.

As a matter of interest, how does this compare with the South Downs Marathon? Easier, same or harder?

• As a bit of a guestimate - is it possible to roughly predict what sort of time one might get, based on a flat marathon?

I'd generally run around 4 hours on a flat marathon - any guesses what the ballpark would be for this?
  • Hi Bertie

As a rough guess I would add 25% to your road time unless you do some serious hill training. Last year I ran a flat marathon in 3 hrs 48 & finished Greensand in 4 hrs 43.

After running The Picnic Marathon in June which took 5 hrs 48 this should be a walk in the park!!!

Trail running is sooooo much more fun.

• Thanks Fairyclogs. I tried some monstrous hills yesterday and they beat me up pretty bad. image

I'll be happy with anything near 5 hours I think.

• Can`t wait for this one, its gonna hurt,  ran the munro great atmosphere. 

I agree with Bertie , I`am starting to go off road running a little in favour for the trails. 

• Ok, I'm in - long drive from a very flat Lincoln but looks great image
  •  I`am coming down from Bury St Edmunds , we need more hills up here Rich!

• Hope the training's going well.

Hmmm.... ascent and descent I measured on an OS 1:25,000 map... Garmin will say something completely different. I reckon at the end of the day, that you'll ascend a vertical mile and descend the same (more if you get lost).
  • Thanks, Dr Robert.

You mention "if you get lost" - having a recent history of this.....how well marked is the course and do we need the route map? Cheers

• The route marking was improved last year (the locals didn't take the specially-made tape down) so you should be okay. A route map, however, is printed on the back of the runner numbers (!)
  • Surely we write the names of our nearest and dearest on the back of our runner numbers....(!) image

• Ok, having just read all this I didn't see the answer to the question, what is this marathon like compared to the South Downs marathon?? Anyone know?

Having just read all this has made me buzz we fear - again. I have done 2 Midsummer Munroes, surely this is going to be a lot easier than The Picnic which I know would just finish me off...

Can't wait, terrified, realise the flat 15 miler I have just come in from is totally insufficient (however I did do Maidenhead half on Sunday) so quite pleased just to have completed today. Would love any answers to the above is anyone has them????

Bring it on - aagh.
  • Sorry another question - do I need trail shoes?
  • Caitlin- having not done either the greensands marathon or the south downs marathon I am in no way qualified to answer your question- however I have run the Lieth Hill half marathon (which is half of Greensands) and the 3 forts marathon (on the South Downs) and in the spirit of a rubbish answer may be better than no answer here goes:

The core difference between the area around the North Downs/Dorking and the South Downs is that in the North Downs you have a lot more woodland trails, the hills are not always as long but you have more short and sharp ups and downs which can be more technical than on the South Downs.  You also have a lot more single track compared to the wide open trails you get on the South Downs (be careful overtaking!).  From my experiance of running in both areas both I'd say the terrain on the south downs is slightly more forgiving.

If you look at the stats both races have similar height gain and loss and obviously they're the same distance.  I fear you'd probably get a different answer from each runner you've asked that have done both.

The important thing I think is not to worry too much about it!!!  My thought is if I can run the midsummer munro, and can run a marathon then there's no reason why I can't complete Greensands.  You should think the same!

• I'd guess that the Greensand Marathon is similar in toughness to the Steyning Stinger Marathon and the Beachy Head - maybe a little bit tougher. However, the Greensand is very runnable - just a couple of short stretches that will halt all but the very fastest. There are a handfull of steps - really nowhere near as bad as the Munro or the Picnic.

The third quarter is the clincher, since there are a lot of hills and it is late on in the race. Some find the downhill last quarter the toughest on the legs, while there is also a very nasty little hill at 25 miles, just to wake you up before you finish.

You do not need trail shoes - trainers are fine (I have run all over the course in trainers). But trail shoes would be fine if you had them. (I'd run it in trainers).
  • Hi Dr. Rob - Do you need another marshal? I'll have done Amsterdam the week before, so won't run Greensand this year (maybe in 2012?) - but would be glad to help out!
  • Thanks Dr Rob, have only just read the website re not needing trail shoes, sorry to have asked stupid questions without reading the advice first!

Ok, now the next anxiety is the first quarter - how tough exactly?? So want to get to that part, how much should I be expecting to add to my 10k time. Is the first 6 uphill all the way??? Oh how I love the anxiety that kicks in prior to marathons, its why we do them!
  • All marshals gratefully received Dalya!

Yes, first quarter is pretty much all uphill. The 70 minute cut-off for the first quarter is supposed to be a challenge... several people were turned back last year (when the cut-off was 75 minutes). The cut-off is strict: 69:59 OK: 70:01 no good.
  • Hi Dr Rob, when do entries close? I ask because I'm doing an ultra in Northumberland the Saturday before and The OMM the week after and don't want to over do it........ Seriously though, I've done Greensands the past 2 years and love it!

Oliver
  • Well, they close when it's full or the night before the race... whichever is first! 200 places gone, 100 left... one month to go, 221 entered last year... you do the maths!

Oliver... you da man... OMM=Respect!
  • First quarter all up hill?  Arghhh, hadnt realised that!  Would it be really wimpy of me to just plan to do the half marathon?!  Training not been going well for a number of reasons and ive just realised only 5 weeks to go!  Never come in last on a run...im thinking this might be the first.....
  • Just entered this one. I then noticed you are required to carry a space blanket and a whistle, which is always a good sign. Could be fun.

Any kit advice?

• "......carry a space blanket and a whistle"......and a mobile phone

Is this really necessary?

• Personally, I would carry a whistle and a mobile phone. There are some isolated spots on the course.

A storm comes in, you get lost, trip on a root, knock your head, roll off the path, wake up in the dark... worst case scenario, but there you go. What's your appetite for risk?

And have you read 'Feet in the clouds'?
  • Thanks for the response.

Got a good appetite for risk but, perosnally, more concerned about getting lost going off route than injured on route!  

Is the course well marked or marshalled in anyway?

No, have not read "Feet in the clouds".

• I did the race last year and it is very well way-marked. Sometimes you worry that you've missed a turning, but then you see another marker. This is a VERY friendly marathon, so there're always plenty of fellow runners about chatting away and you're very unlikely to get lost. In fact, now I think of it, this is the longest "gossip" in Britain !
  • How correct you are  Mr Lemur, i entered the Munro and didn't know a soul, when i finished i knew half a dozen runners histories!   Maybe everyone's  friendly or i'am a nosey git , but either way its going to be a laugh of some sort.