Trionium Greensand Marathon 2011

Comments

• Ok, so thanks to the local outpost a popular outdoor shop I am now a proud owner of a space blanket, and apparently then world's loudest whistle. 

Tried it out in my pocket on a hilly run last night and it didn't seem too bad- one of the advantages of having not joined the smart phone revolution is that my phone isn't the size of a small computer!  There is however the risk that with all that in my pockets my shorts will fall down on the descent from Leith Hill!

• I'm definitely planning to drop my shorts if I make it that far.

• I'll be driving past Dorking Station at about 8.50am on The Day.

If you'd like a lift email me on       x1234&hotmail.co.uk       (replace the & with a @)

• Hello again everyone.

Is there a recommended place for spectators to watch from quite near the finish?

Our WAGs are coming to cheer us along, we'd like to give them a bit of a guide so we can watch out for each other.
  • Looking at the results for the last two years - was the weather better last year or was it a different course in 2009? There was a bigger field but the times were significantly better.

I will be driving past Dorking station at 9ish, and I will look out for anyone with a bag heading towards the start. If anyone wants a lift from Kingston upon Thames; text me on 07773 917 410. 

Let's all pray for the rain to stay away!

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Blimey, inundated with passing carsimage One train comes in at 8:53 and one at 9:06 depending whether you are Waterloo or Victoria. Looks like we shouldn't pre-book any cabs, just stand around looking runner-like. Nice going people.

Re last year - the weather was glorious and it was dry underfoot, I can't speak for the previous year.

It's an out and back course, if your support can get to Leith Hill the views are great and there will be plenty of people. Someone local can give you a better idea about the parking. The finish is also good as it's a long, grassy downhill so they can see you coming.

• Leith Hill is a great place to see your runners on the outward and return legs. There is also a place a 25 miles where you can encourage your runners, just erode they climb the worst hill of the race... You can then beat them back to the finish if you are a bit quick.
  • Straggo -

2009 mean time of 134 finishers 4:46:07.         SD 0:37:28.    Range 3:13:37 - 6:19:09

2010 mean time of 159 finishers 4:27:29.         SD 0:35:36.    Range 3:08:01 - 6:23:50

I can't remember what the course was like in 2009 (might have been softish). I think that the weather was fine on the day. I can't remember if a cut was enforced.

2010 was a lovely day and the course was firm/dryish. Conditions were ideal, I think. The cut was 1:15:00 at Leith Hill Tower, ruthlessly applied to about two runners.

The cut this year will be 1:10:00 at the Tower.

The 2010 course was comprehensively marked, possibly a little more so than in 2009. Rob can tell you if there was a significant number of navigation complaints in either race.

Edward Catmur won both races and his 2010 time was 97% of his 2009 time. I found 17 other matched name-pairs in 2009 and 2010 and their mean 2010 time was 96% of their 2009 time.

That doesn't seem like a very big difference, which suggests that the state of the course wasn't a significant factor.

So thank you, Science -- as usual, after a great deal of arm-waving we're not really much wiser.

• Only two didn make the cut last year?  Think I might be running back from Leith Hill all on my own!

Not too sure what to do, I dont think i'm up to do full marathon distance, since London this year, havent really kept up with the training as much as I should have for this.  If I do make it to Leith Hill in the time and feel I can go on, what do I do?  Dont want to get further on only to regret it....maybe I should just stick with the plan to do the half whatever time I get to Leith Hill - just dont want to feel like a drop out - sounds like you lot are all experienced hardcore off road runners!

.......Or maybe I should just stop worrying about it and enjoy the run whatever, probably the best idea!

• Hi Jo,

chances are you will have company for the half.  It will be a minor miracle if I make the cut-off as I haven't got anywhere near it yet.  And to add to my general slow-ness I've not been able to run for the last two weeks due to a pulled calf muscle.  I'm going to try a short run tonight to see how it feels - keeping my fingers crossed that it will be OK .

• All,

I went out this morning and ran the Greensand Way from Winterfold Hill to Leith Hill (miles 13-19ish).  Just wanted to let you all know the course looks STUNNING!  As good as the Surey Hills get.  Great underfoot, tress in full autumn glory and air crisp and clear. 

Rob - sure you are aware (but just in case) there were a couple of GW signage gaps:

1.  The GW sign that takes you off Pitch Hill down to Duke of Kent School seemed to be missing / wasn't clear.  Might be me but I did look for a while.  

2.  There seems to be a sign missing after the cricket pitch as you come into Holmbury.  However, it will be return leg so should be pretty obvious and would guess marshalled by the main road

• Brian - you are a numerical marvel!

Don't worry about 'just' doing the half - there is absolutely no shame in returning at the tower ( actually just after), to complete the Leith Hill Half. That is what I intend to do, so you won't be alone!

It's great to hear that the autumn colours are on show - I can't wait to get home (from Las Vegas, tough job but someone's got to do it).
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

For anyone in the taxi-sharing, possible lift-cadging brigade - I'm aiming for the 8.02 from Waterloo as Victoria line is suspended.

Weather is looking promising if a bit chilly. 

• I wish TFL would consult my race plans before arranging their suspensions!

• Weather is looking good.... it might even be a sun-screen day! 17°C and sunny....
  • Yes, careful about travel suspensions. Mrs. Lemur got caught out last year and missed me staggering over the finishing line. I'm driving from London SE1 and have one spare seat if anyone wants a lift, either from London SE1 or from Dorking Stn.

Weather looks suspiciously good !

• Thanks for the Stats BRM.

I can't believe we'll need a space blanket - forecast are for 17-19 degrees! Can we really be this lucky or have we all been very good?

Good luck everybody.

• You never know it could still snow.

Will be on the Victoria train getting in at 8:37 if I get up in time or 9:07 otherwise.

Best of luck everyone...

• Weather was brilliant last year so fingers crossed for a repeat 2moro. good Luck everyone image
  • Ran Beachy head today and the legs aren't too bad. Bit  worried about the cut off tomorrow. How far is it? In what time? Should be alright if I can get the legs going.
  • It is just over 6 miles to the cut-off, in 70 minutes....

I marked the third quarter (half way, back to Coldharbour) today with Mike the Marshal... that is a tough run.... you guys have my full respect!

Good luck!
  • Another one worried about the 6.5 miles cut-off after running Beachy Head today. My legs feel trashed at the moment after a tough run today, and will hope they loosen up tomorrow! Good advice earlier in the thread about pacing and not getting carried away in the first half, and I will try and follow this tomorrow (if I can haul my aching body to the start line). Good Luck to everyone running this, particularly you mad doublers!
  • Good luck all. See you for Jerusalem.
  • Brilliant race but so hard!

Great course, great freebies, great breakfast, great weather, great marshals and organisation.

Just too many sodding hills for me!

• Diil - Just read your review. It wasn't you who was being called "a straggler", it was either myself or Merilyn Davies who are both members of  The Stragglers RC. We were both near you at some stages of the race.

Our apologies if you were a bit miffed, it happens quite often in races!

• Thanks Strag!

No thanks to the locals who took down the tape (that we put up on Saturday, and which was checked - twice - on Sunday morning) and re-arranged it to send some of the runners the wrong way.... grrr!

Well done to all starters and all finishers.
  • Brilliant race Dr Rob - thanks for a great day and thanks for fixing the weather image

Fantastic course with fabulous views (when i wasnt glaring at the ground which kept trying to trip me up!), appreciated that there was no stupid race bumf and just great memorabilia.  Loved the downhills a lot, and the uphills weren't as bad as i had anticipated.

Great brekkie and great craic along the way - it was lovely to cheer other runners on as we passed each other.  The path wasnt as tight as i had thought it might be - no near collisions.  There was one naughty runner with earphones in and so he couldnt hear me when i was trying to pass him, but other than that no issues.

There was a point after Leith Hill, towards the finish, where there was a long downhill stretch without any tape - my paranoia gave way at this point and i had to stop and wait for other runners to confirm i was on the right path, who had just been following me - so i had to ask a cyclist who confirmed it was correct.  Not sure if the tape had been removed during the day or not?

Didnt get a chance to see the pool, and i didnt really know the tune of jerusalem so i guess ill have to come back next year!

• Fantastic race, thanks Dr Rob.  Really well organised and great vibe about the event.  The marshals did an outstanding job along the course and really gave a boost to competitors.  Although a Tri and duathlon veteran, this was my first marathon and I really enjoyed it (4.20 ish I think but just waiting results).  Look forward to next year!