Talkback: Win the ultimate spring marathon experience

Comments

• +1. That's what I was getting at Simon / Jane 326. It just seemed odd that a reason given for not participating in the forum up to now was a lack of time to post, when that will be a requirement of the Super 6, not to mention the additional hours of training needed to benefit from and do justice to being selected for the process. Looking at the current mileage of some of the selected people, it will come as a bit of a shock just how much time will need to be given over to the whole program of training and posting. I believe you're already sorting out the posting side of it Jane!

Edit: Sorry Alli Bongo, I didn't mean to ignore your response. The majority of the forumites that post on the threads I tend to hang around on have kids yet manage to join in the banter and provide helpful running advice to others.

• KK - count me in again for RW UK v RW USA.

Sir! Yes Sir!  Reporting for duty.

• B & B - im trying image
    but you are right - i'm off for a run now. lacing up trainers as we speak...
    KK - you are one funny gal image
  • kittenkat wrote (see)

I've just noticed that one of the hopeful sub 3 has a pb of 3.27.... How even with the wind up your arse is that going to happen??

Unless there's something significant that we don't know, like he can run a 1.15 half.

I thought that might be a bit unrealistic too. It's a shame they haven't provided other PB times. TBH I think there's only really 1 candidate in the sub3 time band that has a realistic chance of making it. The difference between 7+ and sub7 minute miles is large, to say the least.
  • KK,you have a fantastic way with words image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I had offered a realistic target, which would have been achieved through knocking just a few minutes off my pb. I'm realistic enough to know this would have meant hard work but perhaps I should have been more adventurous and suggested I could knock an hour off my pb!! 

I'm up for the snubbed six but could also qualify for the snowed six - how to train for a marathon in 2 ft of snow!

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    somebody has broken the vote thread, or is it just me?

I was trying to post to politely suggest to Upsy Daisy that she has posted the same two posts three times each, but now someone else seems to have posted a screen shot of some RW page and there is no bit at the bottom to post

any RW geeks? KK?!

and yes, I probably put a too realistic target down - should have said 3.30 with my half pb of 1.52 image
  • I've posted on the website bugs bit about.  I suspect Upsy Daisy's multiple posts may be a symptom of the problem as well as it thinks she has posted at 13.30 whereas she can't get onto it either.
  • I am sorry for my multiplied posts in the vote thread - I've no idea what has happened or where the bugs are coming from - I hope it is not me!
  • Alli Bongo wrote (see

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well.  On a day to day basis  I have a busy working life and have 2 children who are my priority  and I put maximum effort into raising them in the best way possible and time taken to post regularly on a forum is time taken away from them. 

However, given the opportunity to benefit from one of the best coaching packages available to Joe Public, I'm reluctant to pass it up and if posting regularly on a forum and sharing advice and training tips  is what it takes to improve on my PB, then I would have put maximum effort into it.  Personally I really enjoy it when I have the time to interact with others on forums such as this, but at the same time I do feel a little guilty that my children and job may suffer. 

I was just trying to point out the reasons why people may not have been regular posters in the past.  It doesn't mean they are not prepared to fulfil their end of the deal as a Super Sixer

l

Sorry, I am not one to take issue with stuff, but I AM taking issue with this!! The VAST majority of people who contribute to these forums have kids, work and have busy lives in general. I know I certainly do!!! They still take the opportunity to support, encourage, sympathise and congratulate the various highs and lows of their fellow forumites. There is no package or 'reward' at stake for doing so. It's what makes the RW forums work.

You might not have meant it to sound that way Alli Bongo, but your second paragraph infers that you would contribute to the forums if you were lucky enough to receive the SSX package and improve on your own personal PB. I think that's a shame personally, it made me feel quite sad to be honest.

Anyway, I must go...... one of my kids is outside mugging a Granny, must be because I am not spending enough time with him whilst writing this......................

• On no wait.......... he's representing his school at the finals of a city wide athletics tournament, having worked and trained hard for the event in the last few weeks. Wonder where he found a positive role model for him to refer to?image
  • Debbo my pb is 3.52 and my aim is now 3.45 so why should I have put down 3.30?? No thanks!! I still maintain that RW should have prepared better and informed me that 3.45 was not an option!!

• I will put my target time down as 2.01 next year they should be able to get my PB of 3.15 down easily!
  • Good luck to little Sue C!

AL - I think you're right in that they should have chosen the targets before inviting people to travel half the length of the country for something they weren't going to get into anyway. Everyone had to state their targets on the application so it wouldn't have been so hard for them.

• Maybe I should have put my target down as sub 4???! It would still have been truthful!

And yeah Blisters, hotel was £70, diesel £48, plus food, and I also cancelled theatre tickets that Friday night so I could drive 3.4hurts to get there!!!

I hope they take that into account when people travel far and re-arrange plans!
  • Hi guys  i'd again admit im not a regular poster on forums etc but have been a member on this site and reader of runners world for a few years now and hope that doesnt detract away from my desire to suceed as a runner and indeed with progressing further in this competetion.

B&B my previous pb for 10k is sub 37mins and 1:25 for a half although i havent done one for over a year and a half so would expect that to be more around 1:20 realisticly.

• i'll draft a biog and stick it up later image
    i've only done 3 marathons
    1. London 3.54
    2. Loch Ness 3.33
    3. NY 3.26

Loch Ness most fun

so think 3.15 definitely do-able image
    i've said it now, ill need better deliver !!!
    jane
  • Jane I fully support you! You have loads of enthusiasm and love for running. It was really great meeting you at the weekend!
  • Bless you Arctic Lady and snap! Fab to meet you too - I was really disappointed not to see you in.

KK- half PB - 1.39 (this was half split time for marathon a month ago and my fastest half time)
  • PT14 - Thanks for the info. It'll help people to decide who to vote for. You've got some quick times there.

Jane - I did Loch Ness a couple of months ago as my first marathon. It was great fun! Time wise, how do you feel it compares to a flat marathon?

• i never seem to be fast enough at a half
    thats what i need to practise - short faster stuff
    apparently thats how i'll get a better marathon time- was told this on Sat at the bootcamp
    i need more speed and less stamina image
    we should share training info/ schedules in that case if we are going for the same times image
  • Kk next time it's triple espresso's haha!!!
  • a double espresso is just the thing before a race - have done this before my last 3 marathons image

B&B - Loch Ness was my favourite marathon ever but those hills were a shock - how many were there ?????

Did you you see those 2 girls with hockey sticks that took 6 hours image
  • kittenkat wrote (see)

I wish there was a bit more info about running history and pb's in the info about the 16.

I'm with someone on another thread that, on the scarce info we have, it looks like only one of the sub 3 is being realistic.

I'm going to wait and do what I always do, vote at the 11th hour.

I agree with you on this one KK
    If we are talking PB's, here we go:

3 miles: 18.08
    5 miles: 30.36
    10k: 39.34
    half marathon: 1.25.26

I think a list of more PB's on the voting list would help to make up some peoples mind for the voting process. My half PB is not translated to my marathon PB - something I really want to address!

Vote Knight Rider for the sub 3.15 category!