Talkback: Win the ultimate spring marathon experience

Comments

• Yes - I got a ballot place for London so either way i'm running a marathon in April

Would rather professional coaching but failing that ill still try for sub 3hrs 15 mins

im really interested in trying an ultra - whats the furthest you've run?
  • jane326 wrote (see)
    Did you you see those 2 girls with hockey sticks that took 6 hours image

No tell me more. TBH, I was probably in the pub by then!

AL/KK - Not sure about coffee beforehand but I can recommend a beer and a couple of large whiskies the night before...seemed to work for me!

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    AL - I was joking about the 3.30! - it's annoying though that they've said they don't have a sub-3.45 category, as surely 3.45 also counts as sub-4? I don't get it really

I'd be annoyed too if I'd gone all that way and spent all that money only to be told I didn't fit into a category

I have no idea who to vote for as I don't know any of them - I'll need to read the stories and see....
  • Ah Jane I wish you hadn't just said you've got a place in London for next year!
  • Debbo when they split they group on Saturday I was orginally in sub 4.15 or 4.30group (as in all those from 3.30 to 4.30) but then they changed it and said all sub 3's to 3.45 together! So they def made it a split from sub 4 but then left no option for those from 3.30 to 3.45!!! Crazy!

• It's the coaching i really want image
  • Arctic Lady - i dont know why that happened .... i dont know how the times were chosen
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    AL - that sounds very strange - and annoying - so if you'd said 3.50 you'd be in the sub-4 group but 3.45 means you're in no man's land!?
  • You'd do great with coaching Jane! And yes on retrospect I think RW were just naughty about the groups really.
  • I wondered about the groupings.  My group was 4.30 or slower.  But there is no sub 4.30 catagory.  image  It all seemed a bit arbitrary. 
  • OMG are you serious? I must talk to you about this
    i want to try triathlons and have noticed a few on this site have experience inc B&B
    Will email you direct...
  • Blisters and beer wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)

I've just noticed that one of the hopeful sub 3 has a pb of 3.27.... How even with the wind up your arse is that going to happen??

Unless there's something significant that we don't know, like he can run a 1.15 half.

I thought that might be a bit unrealistic too. It's a shame they haven't provided other PB times. TBH I think there's only really 1 candidate in the sub3 time band that has a realistic chance of making it. The difference between 7+ and sub7 minute miles is large, to say the least.

That'd be me then...

Now, I know that I'm probably going to be the subject of much derision, but the sub-3:00 estimate is perfectly sound as it's the target that I have set myself. The Asics Pro Team obviously think that I'm capable of achieving it otherwise they'd never have let me get to this stage of the competition.

The estimate is based on the rate of improvement that I've made over the past 20 months and the amount of training logged per month. In the space of 20 months I have reduced my 10K PB from 54:15 to 39:51, my Half Marathon PB from 2:05:56 to 1:27:40, and my Marathon PB down from 4:58:09 to 3:27:15. Huge chunks of time, I'm sure that you'll agree; so why should I not be able to continue along this same vein?

Now, I'm no fool, I know that it's a big ask for me to knock another 28 minutes off my Marathon PB, but I'm 100% dedicated to the task & I will break the 3 hour barrier this year, either at Paris or in another race, of that I'm certain. It's not a matter of whether I can do it, but when I will do it.

Mentally I am ready, and I am prepared to follow the training plans to the letter and train harder than I ever thought possible in order to achieve my goal... If I win this competition, the pleasure for others will be to be able to read my blogs & follow me on a voyage of self-discovery. And at the end of that voyage you'll be able to look up from your computer screen & say "Well I'll be damned... He did it!"

• Sue C image I was tempted to reply in the same vein until I saw your post. Bloomin' cheek.
  • Hi all - just caught up on the aternoons posts - AL & Soup re the time categories / group categories at bootcamp, i too am puzzled as to why 3:45 isn't just considered sub 4 rather than there being "no sub 3:45" group - random and uber irritating for you I imagine AL? Soup we were in the same group and i too assumed that our finalists category would be sub 4:30 so am also confused that my category is sub 4:15 - i'd put down target time of 4:18 but wanted some guidance as to whether this was an appropriate target time whether i could target slightly faster - i'm hoping the three minutes shaved off won't be my nemisis if by any miracle i make the 6!

Soup - i've got three faces from bootcamp floating round my head and i don't know which one is you - but it was lovely meeting all three - one of which was you!!

(Running Rox - Sub 4:15)

• OK, some numbers for  you

5K = 26.58
    10K = 53.59
    10 miles -= 1.31.30
    Half mara = 2.02.06 (20 sec to cross the line btw)
    20 miles = 3.15.40

• williambloke wrote (see)

If I win this competition, the pleasure for others will be to be able to read my blogs & follow me on a voyage of self-discovery. And at the end of that voyage you'll be able to look up from your computer screen & say "Well I'll be damned... He did it!"

Congratulations on your progress, but I'd be a bit wary of posting in that vein, it may not go down too well.  Comes across as slightly arrogant, but that's only MHO, of course.

• williambloke wrote (see)

The estimate is based on the rate of improvement that I've made over the past 20 months and the amount of training logged per month. In the space of 20 months I have reduced my 10K PB from 54:15 to 39:51, my Half Marathon PB from 2:05:56 to 1:27:40, and my Marathon PB down from 4:58:09 to 3:27:15. Huge chunks of time, I'm sure that you'll agree; so why should I not be able to continue along this same vein?

Because, by that reckoning, you'll have the marathon world record in 5 years! In all seriousness, it would be amazing if you could do it. What sort of mileage do you run now? And may I ask why your 1st marathon was so much slower in comparison to your PB? Have you run a marathon in between the 4:58 and the 3:27?

• Evening all,

AL - I'm gutted you're not here with us. Was much fun on Saturday - the three laydeez in the "quick" group, trying to keep our lunch down on that session at about 2pm! Have you got anything in the running, no pun intended?! Anyway, I hear you're an ironwoman - am pondering IM France next year, so please let me know any top tips/thoughts/regrets?!??

Jane326 - congrats!!! As predicted, fell asleep in the theatre on Saturday night! Hope you had a good one.

Oooh - I really would like the coaching! Also, just read the article on traithlete's world website about how cake is ever more appealing in the darker days... So true! Need that nutritionist sitting on my shoulder saying "put the cake down"!

Now off to a work shindig - will be more like "put the glass down"!!

• Kryptonite! Hurrah - you're in! i knew you would be
    well done you!
    cheers and speak soon
  • blimey, lots to catch up on in 24 hours

going back a few pages here - wiolQn - red round bubble on Xmas tree, thank you for the best wishes!

yes i am surprised that the pbs from the application forms were not included within each finalist's profile.  i guess RW thought that the stats don't tell the whole story.

my stats, should you like them -

5k, 20.05 (brueton parkrun, 2010); 10k, 44.37 (frampton 2009); half, 1.38.58 (tewkesbury 2009); full, 4.14.08 (stratford 2010)

other than stratford, i've done one previous marathon (london, 2007).  i've been running for 5 years now, i try and do about 4 halfs a year but i like to try and mix it up and since the summer i've been working on my 5k.  i'm so close to sub 20.00 - it will be a very special day when i make 19 something!!  i would like to think that this will help me when i get back to the marathon training.  my stratford run this year just didn't go well for me (the greenway....say no more) and i'm keen to get that one out of my system and get the elusive 3 down in my stats book! 

good luck to everyone, esp bexie and alex in the sub 4.00 category.

• Have we actually seen all 18 shortlisted on the forums yet?
  • Don't think so.

Anyhow, I don't have to look any further, I'm voting for Charlie.

• Good luck Williambloke. As others have obviously said - the achievement versus effort curve inevitably flattens out which I'm sure you're aware of. Seems funny to put you up head to head against a guy who already has a 3.06 under his belt. Not sure whether it's more unfair on you or him but it does look odd on paper. I suppose PBs don't tell the whole story.