Time before noticeable change

2»

Comments

• >> ✭✭✭
    Pete mate I do not think there is any easy answer. I have seen much better results off track training, not endurance work, but I was trying for endurance for a long time. I think you have to keep changing so having to go back to endurance now. Always good to start from this for a few weeks before introducting back the fun faster stuff.
  • Update... Training seems to be going well following the Somerley 10k but still not sure whether I'm in good enough form to go under 40 mins. There's a fairly flat 10k coming up in Calne on Feb 13th which I will probably enter. Today I did 4xmile repeats with 90 secs recovery. They're a bit wild as I held off on the 1st incase I wasn't up to the task image and booted out the last as a tester!  6:19, 6:13, 6:13, 5:55.

• Today I ran the Walter George 10k in Calne. A flat/fast trail run in heavy rain and gusting winds. Having followed the taper advice of Ultra Gregory I've spent the last two days doing nowt and getting more and more nervous about the day. This morning my confidence was not helped by the arrival of heavy rain and high winds. Fortunately the route was fairly well covered by trees and the topography and I only suffered of the occasional exposed stretch.

Lined up at the start and put myself on the front row. Having seen last years results I felt his was not too cheeky. About 100ish runners in total so a small affair. We set off and had to stop myself getting carried away by what was an unexpected number of nutters banging out sub 6 m/m for the first k. Decided to bank a few seconds as I felt very fresh and this continued right up to the halfway point. However, I hit a real wall at mile 5 and thought I''d blown it. Manged to hold on and 2 years after starting 'running' ; 5 months after 40-50 miles a week from direction from your good selves and I did it

39:07........................ Get the fxxx in there! Beer please wife. image

• Well done cop out!  Bit ominous in a good way that you smashed your target off of SG's and Mora's advice that I'm now following.
  • Nice one cop out, sub 38 next. Enjoy today though and get the next block of training sorted up to your next race.
  • Congratulations Cop-Out.  Blew the doors off that one!

What's next for you on the race horizon?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you were teasing us with those over 40min races weren't you Cop Out.

You've smashed 40 so hard, you've set yourself up for a world of hard training pain for the next race image

Great work.

• Update.....

I have continued my training and hovered around 45 miles per week. Once I hit 60 but that was just to see what it was like image

To be honest, I haven't tried anything too fancy. No 'diagonals' and no 'progression' runs.  Just mostly easy runs with a tempo once a week, a LSR and I have tried to get in intervals on a regular basis. Today I ran the Moors Valley 10k and came in at 38:54. Hopefully this update will show that all the advice being given on these forums does work and you've just gotta keep banging in the miles.

• nice one cop out, keep rolling them out.
  • I found the most important session for me (at the time) to break 40mins was mile repeats, so it interests me that you posted about doing them and then smashed past 40mins just like I did. I did mine as close to 6 min/miles as I could and got 39:25 last year.

I've not done a PB type 10k since but I think I'm closer to sub 37 territory now (fingers crossed anyway). The last 10k I did was the Guiseley Gallop which is multi-terrain with a very steep final 2k through woodland and I managed 41:02 for 30th place (winner was 35:00 flat) so I think I'm getting there.

Anyway, I digress. Well done and I'm sure you're well on your way to sub 38 now
  • Thanks for your posts. Sub 38 is a long way off though, if acheivable at all.

• Update....

Last couple of weeks has been difficult to get the mileage in. In fact I've been struggling to hit 30 miles a week due to work and commitments.  Example - Tuesday, when it was bloody hot, I set out with the intention of 2 miles w/u and 7 miles at MP with a 2 x c/d. Fininshed the 7 miles MP having not acheived the pace and needed to call the wife to come and pick me up!

Regardless I did the Poole 10k today and PB'd at 38:35. Don't know how this is possible but I kept an eye on the garmin and just knew there was a touch more in the tank.

Poole is a fast flat course and today it was raining but the wind stayed away. Splits...

1- 6:02

2 - 6:15 (took my foot off the gas as I thought I had already run mile 1 too fast)

3 - 6:11

4 - 6:10

5 - 6:08

6 - 6:08

7 - 5:40 ( for .28 of a mile acccording to Garmin)

Once again I will state that I am posting this as I didn't ever believe in my wildest dreams these sort of times possible as a 38 yr old bloke. Hopefully this will inspire others that the advice works. Easy miles and a touch of the hard stuff is working for me. I still drink beer, work shifts and spend quality time with my family. image

• Good man, it's clearly working for you. When running 10k's it's vital (imho) to stay off the gas early and ramp up as you warm up, that way you'll run a negative split and have enough left to push on for a PB. Well done
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Interesting you say that Rob, as my 10ks don't seem to follow that. The twice I've ducked under 36, I've started a bit too fast and got some in the bank, then held on at the end.

Maybe I should try it the slightly slower out approach and hope I have enough to ramp it up near the finish!

• I've always run like you said Stevie and recently changed tactics on a clubmates advice, next race was a PB and felt much more comfortable. I've also ran a 7m fell race with the same tactics and beat a clubmate who is always ahead of me. Tried the same approach on an off road marathon this weekend just gone and came 2nd, again feeling pretty strong at the end.

I run the first couple of miles comfortably quick and let people pass me if they want, then start to speed up through the middle of the race and finish fast. Try it and see, if it doesn't work it's no big deal.
  • What has made a difference is that the Poole 10k is a larger event than I am used to. It made such a positive influence on me during the race, watching everyone overtaking me in the 1st mile and slowing but surely overtaking them throughout the 10k distance. Tucking in behind the odd group for a minute or two was a real treat too.