Motivational Phrases

Comments

• * Frodo * wrote (see)

The quicker you run this, the sooner it is over,

And with 3 river crossings on the 'Trunce', the quicker you run, the quicker you can get dry!!
  • I've started reading Lance Armstrong's autobiography so 'Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever' is currently my favourite motivational phrase

Others include

'There is no can't, only won't and today you will'

'Just do it'

'Toughen up Princess' is another massive fav image

• Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." Muhammad Ali
  • You drag it around like a ball and chain
    You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
    You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
    Got your mind in the gutter, bringin’ everybody down
    Complain about the present and blame it on the past
    I’d like to find your inner child and kick its little ass
    Get over it

Get over it by The Eagles.  image

• k wrote (see)

Read these on RW US forum on a similar thread to this and they stuck.

Suck it up buttercup ( which I repeat over and over if I get to a tough bit)

Or

If I don't feel like going out at all.

One day you will not be able to do this, today is not that day.

k wrote (see)

Read these on RW US forum on a similar thread to this and they stuck.

Suck it up buttercup ( which I repeat over and over if I get to a tough bit)

Or

If I don't feel like going out at all.

brilliant - thanks K

•  Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are foot steps on the moon'.  I like that  :thumbup:
  • There is no such thing as bad weather, only soft people.

No one ever drowned in sweat.

Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.

• Ask yourself this - can you do more? the answer is probably "yes"

• In running; Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional - Huruki Murakami, taken from 'What I talk about, when I talk about running.  There are loads ofgood motivational quotes in there actually but that one stuck with me

'You don't get rusty people!' - A friend's grandfather, talking of being out in the rain, I regulary say that to myself when out training in horrid conditions!

• Great ones guys - keep 'em coming.
  • Only The Mediocre are always at their best....keeps me going
  • For me, the reason I started to run is not for myself....so motivation could be different from others….however, partly, yes, I could say it is for myself…to overcome the pain from a friendship I had to finish.   

Anyway, for me, running is a great way of self-discipline.  Running always gave me a quality time that I can be alone with the Lord....talk with Him over things I struggle in my life.  I love running because of this (although I am not an athlete at all…ha, ha)

When I started to feel want to stop running, because I feel it is too hard to continue, and then the condition reminds me of my life difficulties.  Then the following scriptures come to my mind.  

Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:12-14)

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (2 Timothy 4:7)

These are my motivational words when things become TOUGH!  image

• *bookmarks this* some really good ones here that i may have to borrow

does anyone remember the 'belly's gonna get you' nike(?) ad? that's always a good motivator for me

antoher thing i often say to myself when i'm wondering why i do this is 'because i can, many can't and even more won't'

• A personal favourite of mine, which i've used for years whenever attempting anything...

"If you say you can, or you can't.... you're probably right"  Henry Ford

• I'M COVERED IN BEES!

..bit of a weird one. I mean, I'm sure if I kept thinking I really was covered in bees, I'd run fast enough away from them. But the main line of thought is if Eddie Izzard can do it, so can I. Plus it leads me to silently recite most of Glorious in my head and before I know it, I'm six miles done & dusted. A long-winded but good mantra!

• Tazi - haha, myself & a friend were only mentioning last night how 'belly's gonna getcha' would be a very good motivational message! Brilliant advert.
  • 'kill the hill'

This is a phrase the instructor in my spin class uses often and I've borrowed it for my running. I used to be a bit of a giver upper on hills, now I just repeat this until it's over.

I also like 'most people give up just when they should push through'
  • Tazi: Yeah I remember the 'Belly gonna get you' ad. Think it was a Reebok one. sad I know that !!!
  • k wrote (see)

One day you will not be able to do this, today is  not that day.

Adopted thanks!
  • It's a goodun isn't it, I don't know who the original author was.

I know a little girl in a wheel chair and I always think of her when I'm saying it.

• I also like the Dean Karnazes quote, which may have been mentioned already.

Run if you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just never give up.

• oh that's perfect - doing Hellrunner on Sunday....this has to get me round!

• Sara Rush - great name for a runner!

See you at hell runner this weekend - first one to the bog of doom has to break the ice for the rest of us!

• Apathy has a long history of turning to regret.
  • k wrote (see)

Suck it up buttercup

I used this one on Sunday whilst ascending the Great Orme in the Conwy Half, so is now officially adopted image

• SivSiv ✭✭✭

I often say to myself: The time will pass anyway.

In other words I could have been pottering about doing any number of things online or offline and achieved nothing. Or I could have gone for a run and crossed that off my list for the day.

I've always liked "Just do it" too.

But k's "One day you will not be able to do this, today is not that day" I had not seen before and it sent chills right through my body. That has got to be the best motivational quote ever, about running or anything else. THANKS. 

• There's a couple I read somewhere:

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"

"An 11 minute mile is just as far as a 7 minute mile"

• Abi_Snail, I love those ones!

I just keep thinking I was born to run and that this is the survival of the fittest image
  • JeremyG wrote (see)
    k wrote (see)

One day you will not be able to do this, today is  not that day.

Adopted thanks!

Oh i LOVE this!! *adopts also* thanks!

My pt has a delightful habit of telling me ' There's no effing point quitting now chubba bubba'

- seems to incense me so much i can carry on......just thought I'd add to the mix image

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Sweat Makes Me Beautiful

All or Nothing

Also there is one, something like 'I don't regret the runs I've done, just the ones I didn't do'. Makes me feel guilty everytime if I want to skip a run.