TVXC Thread

Comments

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Chris - I also need to do some longer runs as part of my Wokee / Reading preps. I am actually planning to run a  2nd (slower) lap after sunday's race.....
  • Hmm, not got too many distance runs in here either, and got bracknell wokingham and fleet on the horizon... Bugger... lots of XC left as well...
  • A cunning plan Wool, however I won't partake this time, as I need to get back to spend some time with the family. After the cake.

I'll be running to/from our XC, and Bracknell aligns nicely with a reduced-milage week.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Chris, I wouldn't recommend doing any LSD on sunday imageimage.

The sensations will be amazing, but the side effects probably not worth the ups!

Try an LSR though!

Ditto to the Long run for half marathon training against racing. That's a perennial problem, and one I've had to get myself out of. If you race too much you won't be able to perform as well, or get the training in.

Therefore,added to the 4 done already I'll do Tadley and Finch but not the last 2. I think that's quite enough racing for one winter.

Doing Wokingham, and hoping to get into Reading by hook or by crook too.

What's Bracknell's half like in comparison to those 2? I've been told by someone that  they did Bracknell in the same time as Wokingham, but I'm convinced that was mostly due to it being the year Wokingham was moved to a scorching day in May, than the 2 course sbeing similar paces.

• Sorry - I meant Bracknell XC - not the half marathon. I'd also forgotten there is another XC in Feb, which I definitely won't do. I'll be doing a Long Slow Distance image instead.

Strangely enough I have a place for Reading, but it looks like I cannot make it. I'll be able to confirm by Monday. It's in the 2hr pen though.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image  Chris...never heard it called a LSD before, but fair dos. This last year I've learned one thing...I know very little about running!

Sprint is doing Bracknell half by the sound of it. Too many Bracknell races!

If you find you can't make Reading, maybe the organiser will allow a name and pen change, as it's still a pretty early time?

If they will I'll gladly buy the place off youimage

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

LSD is new on me too image! Tadley may be my last XC as I've got a burning desire to reduce my HM PB this spring and the focus needs to be there.

SG - not sure if you've done Reading before but you defo need to be in the front pen. I'd go as far to say that there would be no point of you running from ther 2 hr pen. Hope you can get a spot though, I think it's sooooo much better than Wokee. Then again, the Windsor HM has been put in our club champs this year and there is no race I hate more than that one (even though I can walk to the start line!). 

Anyway, back to the the thread....it's looking like it could be super muddy on Sunday. Bring it on!

• Bracknell's a bit like Reading, a few ups and downs, quite a lot of gentle but long inclines

Quite enjoy the course, but lots and lots of underpasses

• Muddy? Nah... fingers crossed it will be bone dry.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's what I'm thinking Wool. I wouldn't do it if I couldn't have a good run at it. Maybe in a few years I'll run some races just for the finishing, but not yet.

Best case is I get in the right zone, and they allow me to change the name. Acceptable is I get into right zone and have to run as someone else's name. Anything lower than that I'll sack it off.

Reading intrigues me, i've heard there's one moderate hill, but I've seena  fair few people come out quicker at Reading than Wokingham!?

Coughing horrendously in spells today as per last few days, but no sign of anything coming up imageimage. Should mean Tadley is raceable then!

• Sitting here with a Rum & Ginger Ale watching the recorded Euro XC.. Inspirational stuff for tomrorrow!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sitting here coughing loads, wondering how it'll go tomorrow image

• Drinking Spitfire, hoping my new XCshoes will be up to the job tomorrow.

See you all at the buffet.

• Lovely day for it this morning - I was taking photos at the last ditch and there were many interesting techniques for crossing, some faster than others. Never seen so many triathletes so averse to water image

Will post a link when they're up.

• Knocked in a 55th place... Chuffed to bits!

Glad to have the shades on today, lots of running in to the sun

A water jump was a new one to me... never dealt with one of those before!

38.10... Good day out image

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

Well done Sprint & nice photos BoTF. Well, they record the events well let's say!

29th for me today, felt I ran OK but it's hard to tell until I see the results and see where I finished compared with others. I was really surprised not to get overtaken up the hill as I felt like I was practically stationary! The Garmin stats are hilarious really: 6:19, 6:49, 6:38, 6:39, 7:49, 6:18 (pace). OK, that 5th mile is tough but OMG!!

I didn't get out for my 2nd lap as it dawned on me that I might get lost in the case that they had taken the tape down, I also wanted cake. Went out for an easy 5 when I got home though.

A very nice day out again, these events really are great.  

• BOTF, do you mind if I put a few of those up in the BFR facebook group?

Well done Wool, good position mate.

I actually ran back to the buffet image

(My only grip about the day was the prep area at the start line, not too easy to access and I've got a deep cut from a bush on my calf now image)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/104999/Gallery/Tadley_XC_2011.JPG

A bizarrely decent pic bearing in mind my technique through the 3 water stops was terrible...right through the water, and then kind of clawing my way out with my hands on the banks!

Great pics tho Beware of the Fish. That's gonna be my new fb pic for a while!

Still...8th today, which I'm pleased with. Came out slightly slower than last year, but I'm sure this year's conditions were slightly harder than last year, as I've been 1-2mins up on all races in this series so far.

Sprint...shades?? You poser!image  Give it a few more races, you;ll be above me at that rate of improvement!

Wool, quality mate, tha 5th mile certainly is a toughie, I do forget every year, and it was my slowest mile by a long chalk, 7.16. Absolutely gunned the first mile off in 5.45 image

I love the whole feel of race day though, the drive there, the banter with people, the preparation, the adrenaline of the race, and the beautiful feeling after .

Only in for 1 more though, at Finchampstead, see you all there

• http://lh4.ggpht.com/_AO0U9sKp9bU/TSnJQHPGKLI/AAAAAAAADQQ/lFmjHnGDc64/s800/IMG_6796.JPG

Poser indeed image

Meant I could go straight through a tree that was leaning horizontally at about 7.5km!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that pic reminds me of how tricky the stream crossings were in 06 and 08. The streams and tough mile used to be near the start, so as they came so early you would have a crowd scene at each one! Last few years I've had a nice unimpeded crossing.

Although in reality you lose watching how the person in front approaches it to give you a clue!

ps Sprint I think I can rival you for running through trees and branches. I just used my skin..no wonder I resemble a cushion used by cats after a race!

• I placed 146th - about average for me. Lap pace was 7:44, 8:09, 7:51, 7:42, 9:27 & 7:30. Total time 43:43.

I was definitely shades weather, and they saved my eyes a few times. I was told about the field beforehand, but experiencing it is something different.

There was some bunching near the start for some reason - the only things there were a direction sign and a gorse bush!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Must admit I'm not a fan of any extras, shades, gloves, hats etc. The way I see it the more stuff you have on your person the slower it makes you image.

I've run in some really sweltering conditions but have never needed shades. Don't look at the sky image

• I get very watery eyes and I just don't like the sun in my eyes image

Good work on the place Chris... Well run
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Roll on Finchampstead on the23rd.

Any one got a postcode for close to the start? The website doesn't show one, or a course description as per other events.

To be fair I remember only too well, the incline start, the vicious triple steep hill middle, and the foot race charge back down the last bit image

That'll be me done for this series...2 half marathons to be getting on for afterwards.

• Compare and contrast RG27 0PR with the map on the TVXC website. It'll get you fairly close.

I can't be held responsible if you turn up late and don't score for your team though. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i always like to beat TVT runners. It's that kit I think image

We're down as 7th, which is where we traditionally finish, but unfortunately they've included our 2nd finisher, 9th woman home as a member and not a guest.

Doh...i best be honest and admit it, which will push us down the women's ranks at least image

Not really a level playing field when we take 16 which is high for us, and other clubs take 37, 44 and 53 image

ps good work on the postcode Chris. Have done that race 3 or 4 times, and should know my way by now really!

• The kit they didn't want to get dirty in the ditches....

We were 8th overall, and even though we were 1 man short we still got 2 penalties. When corrected we'll still be 8th. We had 8 runners in total - half your turn out.