#winterswim2010

Comments

• lol i know that feeling .. we are trying to buy a house too.. scary stuff
  • Trogs - Did you see the leader in our group blagged a time of just under 12 mins for 400 and now has a time of 3mins 30 for 200

Feck me image

• Didn't notice that Gaz, but I reckon there were some pretty dodgy base times recorded (including mine though it was what it took me to do the distance on that day).  Think it was the round 1 winner who had a base time of 20 mins and a 50m time of 0:40 or something!!

First round 4 attempt produced a -0.8% improvement on last round.  Need to shave off a few more seconds to get a positive result.

• Second round 400M attempt this morning didn't work out.  I was a bit sleepy at 07:00 and it took me ages to get warmed up, by which time it'd got busy. 

Does anyone else find that sometimes it's fine to jump in and do 400M straight off and other times you want to stop for a breather after 100M?  Or is it just me .... ? image

• Nope Parky, not just you.
  • i've done the 400m three times now and slower every time!!! what is oign on with me!
  • Parklife wrote (see)

Second round 400M attempt this morning didn't work out.  I was a bit sleepy at 07:00 and it took me ages to get warmed up, by which time it'd got busy. 

Does anyone else find that sometimes it's fine to jump in and do 400M straight off and other times you want to stop for a breather after 100M?  Or is it just me .... ? image

Misread that and thought if you can do 400m in 7:00 when you're a bit sleepy then you must be a pretty flash swimmer!

Agree about the warmup though - usually my fastest times are when I push off from cold and hammer out the required distance. Sometimes I get to 50m and my chest explodes which usually means starting again.... image

Anyway, I put my heart and soul into the initial base time effort and haven't got anywhere near it since. I know it's because my overall training has picked up so I'm not as fresh as I was back then for swimming. I'm glad to have done it that way round though  because it means I have to bust a gut every time to come up with something even remotely respectable by comparison - which I think is the point...

• maybe thats why i'm slower too!!!
  • Will someone please boot me up the arse and remind me about this.  I have missed quite a few of the rounds and need to get back in the swing of things
  • Must confess to have knocked off 47 seconds off my 9:02 to record 8:15. I probably put most of the improvement down to better pacing.

I had a couple of goes at the first time and went way too hard out of the blocks for a 09:30 the first time - was pretty much butchered by half way. Second go had a slower start and faster finish and I did feel I may have been able to go faster.

This time I was pretty much spot on pace. Finished strongly but really wouldn't have managed another 2 lengths at the same pace.

Either that or I miscountedimage

Meface

• Improved my 400m time by 8s. Not a huge a improvement. However, this time it was my "warm up" at the start of my session so wasn't going flat out.
    Not expecting to make a huge improvement at the moment really as I'm only getting to the pool once a week, and don't always manage that.
  • Gyraffe, Bootsie and Claret - I don't feel so bad about my second 400M time then - I knocked 2 WHOLE SECONDS OFF. image 
  • Did my 400m today and when i stopped my watch I was a bit upset.  Let me explain why..........

The last time I had logged on the stopwatch was 11:53 and so I assumed this was my previous 400m time.  Today I finished in 12:12.  So I was 19 secs slower and beat myself up about it a tad, to be honest.

But now I am beaming.  Went to log my time on the website and my base time was 13:02!  So I have knocked a whole 50 secs off my time image

I am now one seriously happy bunny image

• Well done Schmunkee image

Went down to the pool today and almost didn't swim cos the lane swim bit was full of breast strokers.  Managed a grand total of 600m before giving up.  However, on the plus side, I did manage my fastest ever 400m image

• Breast stroking Trogs, I'd say your FC need work then image
  • Well done Schmunks and Trogs. 

I'm not looking forward to the next round - 800M!  I've never swum that far.  It'll be interesting for me to try tho'.

• Meh. My 400 was even slower than my baseline, by an embarrassing 26 seconds. That's what comes of swimming the day after a new circuit training class, I guessimage.

Oh well. Surely  I must be getting fitter in the long term.

• Moved up a massive 10 places in the overall rankings at the end of round 4 image

800m should be interesting - I've always believed I swim better over longer distances, now I'll be able to find out.

Definitely need to get to the pool at a quiet time though.

• Interesting to see that of the 17 people who've posted an 800m time so far, only one has achieved a +ve difference image
  • Checked my 400m. time today ad went 8:06 (slightly quicker than before). I think I have worked out the difference - the turns. I am turning quicker and really exploding off the walls, as most of the stuff I did before was long and slow so were my turns.The shorter stuff must have got me turning quicker and harder.

Plus better pacing as well.

Got Garmin lap times for this one so definitely 400m.

Meface

• My running is playing havoc with my swim times currently, so will just swim for this month and time trial again before the cut off for the 800m

Well done to everyone who managed to get positive results for their 400m times.

• A certain Simon B posted his 800m time and has managed to double his distance and knock 30secs off the time image

Has Meldy given up on the challenge image

• So - I attempt my first 800M ever on Sunday morning.  Any tips about pacing peeps?  I've only ever swum 450M in one go in a pool before.
  • Rhythm and breathe, long strokes with a good catch should do it Parky.

It seems like forever when you first do the distance, so just settle in and concentrate on a good rhythm just like you do when running.

• We did breathing drills at tri club for the first time last night and I liked 5-5.  I might try that over the 800M in a relaxed stylee.
  • Maybe ok for slow swimming but you'll defo need to up that when time trialling.

Just relax and settle down for now and have a couple of attempts at a slower pace, you have almost a fortnight to get the time in.

• My worry is that it's nearly double the longest distance I've swum in one go and I do need to pace myself properly, even if only to get the distance done and not necessarily go for a good time.  A fortnight is no time as the pool's so busy, the only time to get a quiet(ish) swim in is Sunday morning if I get there when it opens.
  • Lol, these next two are going to be difficult then Parky.  So slow and steady as already said.

You'll be fine, honest image

• Did my first winterswim 800 today. Slow and steady, but I got so into the groove that I carried on till 1500. Very positive splits thoughbut.

I might try for a slightly better time next week.