Options

#winterswim2010

Comments

• Options

I am mentioned in issue 10 of the newsletter image

Oh welll, that's my five mins of fame been and gone

• Options

Parky - you may tell me to naff orf, but ask yourself why you are doing the Winterswim Challenge.  Is it to get good times or is it to swim further than you have before.  Or even a mixture of both depending on distance/ability.

I managed 1k a couple of weeks ago for the very first time and it was yet another epiphany for me.  I may not have the speed of others, but my only objective was to do the distance non-stop. As expected, the time was not up there in the ranks but I had still achieved something.

I have not seen you swim and therefore not aware of your abilities but if you are like me, I would caution against pushing for times if your technique is likely to suffer.  If you have a good technique then by all means go for it.

• Options
    Are you one of the 345 to register a score thus far Schmunkee

Cos you're pretty poor at updating the challenge database.
  • Options

RIPP - Leave me the feck alone, will you!  I will update the database when I am good and ready and not when you tell me to!

As far as I understand it, there is no obligation to update every day, but once a week is preferred.

If it causes you so much concern, then arrange for me to be removed again.  I really couldn't give a toss.

Thank yuou

• Options
    Parklife - I would be tempted to tackle the distance as 4 x 200m with a very brief stop after each segment. Perhaps a sip of water, glance at the watch and push off again. My thinking is that this will a) seem more achievable, 2) help you keep track of how much you've done, 3) help keep even pacing and, d) give you something to look forward to every few lengths. Good luck. image
  • Options

Schmunks - a mixture of both.  I just read the newsletter and saw your name. image

What's the challenge database?

Waff - thanks for the tip.  Now, just to confuse matters, I went to tri swim today and after a terrible night's sleep did 400M straight off with no trouble at all.  The rest of the session consisted of sets, so no drills at all this week and a good, hour of really pushing myself on pure FC with coach and co-swimmers commenting on my improved speed.  However, I think I'll try what you suggest on Sunday and when I get another crack at it (probably the Sunday after), try the whole thing.

• Options

Parky - it's the UK v USA running thread.  I'm being named and shamed on there for not putting my miles on frequently enough and also (not directed at me) there are stats about numbers of people doing less than 50 miles and less than 25. 

• Options

Schmunkee it's not about you directly per se, just a bump to ask you to update the database. 

The statistic bit regarding the numbers of people in which piece of pie, are markers regarding mileage.  RIPP and others have mentioned about setting sight on getting into the next colour zone (pie)

RIPP also said it wasn't a name and shame list, I think PSC identifed that particular title, I believe he was just bringing to the thread for us all to see who was behind in updates.

I haven't received newletter number #10 as yet, when did you get it, Winterswim doesn't have it on the website either.

• Options
    My newsletter arrived last last night Gaz - I spotted it today.
  • Options
    I'll keep an eye out - Thanks Parky
  • Options
    Gazmanmeister wrote (see)
    RIPP also said it wasn't a name and shame list, I think PSC identifed that particular title, I believe he was just bringing to the thread for us all to see who was behind in updates.

I no longer have the time to surf like I used to and so I chose which threads I visit now, tending to veer towards the ones where I feel there is a good vibe or I am getting something out of it.  I don't like the vibe in the challenge thread and so do not go there, so RIPP's updates of who was not logging miles was falling on deaf ears.  If (s)he was that bothered, then (s)he could have PM'd me 

If people were that bothered about who was or was not posting mileage on the database they could have taken the time to look it up themselves.  there is no need to post it three or four times.

What I have taken slight umbrage to is RIPP coming on here and making a sarcastic comment with reference to logging my swim times.  What I do with my time and where I chose to log results is my business. 

Anyway, it's possibly water under the bridge as KK's last post mentioned that a few UK runners were deleted.  I am assuming that I was one of them. 

I am not intending to shoot the messenger and not getting at you, so please don;t take it that way.  I am just putting across my point as I see it. image

• Options

No probs for me Schmunks, just thought I'd let you know how I saw it. 

Would just like to say before putting it to bed that RIPP mainly posted beginning of week and kept it TOTP for a couple of days so people would catch it (hopefully) to remind them.

I see you are still on the list btw image

• Options
    I see what you're saying Gaz but if I don't visit the thread, the posts become meaningless. There are more direct ways of getting a forumites attention if you really need to.

Thanks for letting me know I am still on the list. I shall make sure I log my miles before 11:59pm on Monday ie after logging my swimming and biking *winky*
  • Options
    Dear Schmunkee,

I'm very sorry for what I did here, it was not meant to annoy you in the way it has, just a comparison to the challenge. I referred to something I would have no knowledge of.

Bad judgement on my part.
  • Options
    Now that the UK v USA challenge is finished, need to concentrate on getting a time done.
  • Options

Waff - I did what you suggested - 8 x 400M with 15 secs inbetween.  Worked really well.  Now need to join it all up.  Will try this weekend or Thursday morning if I get a chance.  I already swim twice a week with tri club but can't do it there. 

I've been lent a classic metal stopwatch, which means I don't have to put my 'phone on the side of the pool and scrabble around to get the light on when I finish. image

• Options
    Well done Parky. Glad the advice was useful. You can get cheap digital watches for about £12 which are great for swimming - I have to get the cheapest I can find because somehow I always seem to lose things like that!
  • Options

Whoops - I meant 4 x 200M, like you suggested Waff.  image  I finished my session with a 400M which went fine and didn't leave me out of breath at all.  I just need to keep going for twice the distance at the next sesh.

I've just had an offer accepted on a flat I'm trying to buy, so can't even afford £12 at the moment.  Every penny counts and I can't believe the price of the legal stuff!!  image  I may never have a social life again, but at least a roof over my head.

• Options

Good news on the flat purchase Parky.  Hope it all goes through.

I have been told i need to work on my touch turns as I seem to 'stop and start' ie it's not one fluid movement.  My Tri Coach reckons I could knock a second off at each turn if I got that right so over 800m, that could equate to 31 secs image

• Options
    Over half a minute Schmunks.  That's a lot of time in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options

Yup!  I have always argued that I was not bothered re turns as most of my swims will be OW, but then he pointed out that I was tending to lose momentum straight after each turn and I would find swimming in pool and OW easier if it was all more fluid.

Have just been reading up on touch turns image

• Options

Grrrrr  swam this morning and recorded my time but please, someone explain how some of those who are recording times at the moment have managed -ve splits since their last 2 rounds.

e.g. 400m base 12 mins, 400m next 9 mins, 800m 17 mins

FFS is this humanly possible??

• Options

Maybe for some people, their first 400 was the first time they've ever timed themselves, and they've got better at pacing and putting the effort in?

I agree though, that there are some eyebrow-raising improvements.

For me, I seem to have got worse, despite losing weight and swimming more regularly than before. Boo hiss.

• Options

I need to learn to count - or get some prescription lens goggles image

Swam what I thought was 800m stopped and had bit of a chat with a couple of other swimmers (who, conincidentally, are both training for IM) then swam another gentle 200m.

After changing and finding my glasses looked at PoolMate which told me the 800m was actually 950 and the 200 was 250.  Believe the count was correct cos manual backup lap counter (no pause function) says slowest lap was lap 20 which included the rest stop and total distance matches up.

On the plus side the 950 was done in 19:25 which means the 800 would have been in around 16:21 which is amazing.  Poolmate extrapolated 2:02 per 100m over the 950 which gives 16:16 for 800 - even more amazing.

Hope to get to pool again on Friday so I guess I'll hold off recording a time till then and hope I count better and swim equally well image

• Options

I can't count. This comes as a bit of a shock to me, as I'm good at maths, but I must just drift off somewhere mid-swim.

I lost my lap counter during the 400m weeks and really struggled to keep count of 16 lengths. Fortunately I've found it, but I've noticed that, like you, Trogs, I always think I've done fewer lengths than are shown.

The counter gives corroborating times - it's not just that I accidentally double-press the counter.

Better make sure I don't lose it again - otherwise I'll have no idea where I am in 1500m week.

• Options

Confident that I didn't have a double press; my lap counter gives me fastest and slowest laps over the whole session so a double press shows up as a 0:02 second lap!

If tonight's times are correct that's definitely a FFS -ve split given my best 400m time is 8:23 image

• Options

Lol, perhaps the use of FFS -ve split was a littel loose.

It should have been FFS a MAHOOSIVE -ve split image

• Options
    I had a rubbish club swim sesh last night - a back to square 1 sort of moment.  I guess I'll just have to feel pleased if I make the 32 lengths on Sunday and get a time down.  I'll have to concentrate really hard to not lose count.