Options

#winterswim2010

Comments

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Some good improvements there guys - congratulations!

I did my base time in a different pool from usual, and haven't managed to get a better percentage on any one of my timed swims since then!

It's not lap counting, and the differences aren't huge. I was getting closer to base % at around the 200m mark, but am now drifting further away again which is particularly disappointing as I'd expected to be relatively better at the longer swims.

I'm not looking forward to the 1500 now.

Good luck on Sunday Parky.
  • Options
    Ta Joddly.  Will report back if I make the full 32.
  • Options
    Parky - you WILL make the full 32, I have no doubtimage.  Start slowly, concentrate on technique and make sure you relax.  Focus on just getting each length in slowly but surely. If you feel you have something in the tank after 24-ish lengths, push yourself a little harder
  • Options
    Parky, you will do the 32 lengths on Sunday, take it very very slow and mentally split it into 4 8 length stints.

Go Team Parky image
  • Options

Thanks you 2.  I had the worst swim sesh ever last night after 2 weeks of progress, so feeling a bit sh*te.

I was going to break it down mentally like you (and Waff) suggested Barley and Schmunks I will see how I am at 24 and if not half-dead, will try to improve on the last 8.

• Options

16:27 - versus a 8:15 for 400m tonight ( and an original 9:00 odd). Improvements for me are definitely all in the turns.

FFS

Meface

• Options

Here's a PMA thought for you Parky:

I had a rubbish session at tri club swim on Monday but my best swim for months yesterday.  You will therefore have a great swim on Sunday  image

• Options
    Dragged myself to the pool this morning and managed to count the right amount of lengths but didn't feel half as good as on Wednesday.  Recorded 16:58 which I've logged as round 5 time for the moment; just have to decide whether to leave it at that or give myself more of a challenge for the next round by using the better result from earlier miscounted effort.image
  • Options

Hello all - I have no idea what PMA means ... ?

Unfortunately I didn't make the 800M swim this morning.  A neighbour was having a party and the noise from smokers (I presume) going outside to chat loudly kept waking me up all night.

Is it possible to add the round 5 time over the next couple of weeks as well as doing the longer distance or have I completely missed the deadline to be included?

Another factor stopping me swimming is that I seem to have an allergy on my legs.  I'm presuming it's from swimming.  They are v itchy and this has happened before, so I need to do what I did previously which is not to shower straight after swimming as the heat aggravates it.  I might stay away from the pool for a week to let it die down.  I also developed a rash on my face yesterday (possibly not connected).

• Options

Positive
    Mental
    Attitude

Sorry to hear you couldn't make it.  Unfortunately, I don't think you can post a time once the deadline has passed.  I think the system is locked down for that distance and moves on to the new one

• Options

As Schmunks says, after today the distance will be locked down so updates won't be possible.

When I swim at the Kinswood pool I get irritations Parky (nose snivvels and itchy legs) so I rub some Eumovate ointment on my shins, works pretty well and stops it straight away.

• Options
    Parklife wrote (see)
    Another factor stopping me swimming is that I seem to have an allergy on my legs.  I'm presuming it's from swimming.  They are v itchy and this has happened before, so I need to do what I did previously which is not to shower straight after swimming as the heat aggravates it.  I might stay away from the pool for a week to let it die down.  I also developed a rash on my face yesterday (possibly not connected).

I raised this on another thread sometime ago and the consensus of opinion is to use some sort of barrier cream before getting in the pool. Popular recommendations were aqueous (sp?) cream, E45, bio-oil, or Johnsons Baby Lotion. 

I suffer quite badly from eczema and I find the chlorine dries my skin out really easily.  If I use too heavy a cream before getting in the pool I seem to overheat and so the itching is actually worse than having the dry skin if I did nothing.  But I now use Bio-Oil as it absorbs really quickly and there is no greasy residue.  After I have showered I put on a thin layer of aqueous cream.

• Options
    Parkie that sounds very similar to something i have suffered from over the last couple of years - it's been diagnosed as a non specific foliculitis - ie a rash!! I have a repeat prescription to treat - a hydrocortisone cream. However, I am also looking into getting some sort of barrier cream to stop it flaring up in the first place. Yesterday a pharmacist recommended something called Siapel, but didn't have any in stock so I need to go on a hunt for it.

Now stop making excuses and get to the pool. You have until midnight.
  • Options

There's only 1 laned swim at the pool today and that was the early morning sesh.  I won't get another chance.  Also, this itching is v annoying and I don't want to aggravate the rash on my face.  I have actually got scratch marks like a cat's been at me in a couple of places and this has made the itching start to burn.  I'm going to give myself a week off, use some pure tea tree body wash and moisturise.  I've also recently started shaving my legs after years of waxing, so I'm going to try to avoid doing that as I think it hasn't helped.  Plus, I'm crap at it and have cut myself recently trying to do it.

Can I ditch this attempt (but do it anyway without logging the time) and then move on to the next challenge or am I now unable to log any more scores?

• Options
    I think you can miss a round and you just won't score in that round, but can move onto the next.
  • Options

Definitely no problems skipping a round.  Think there's more who've missed at least one round than not.

Rash sounds nasty, hope you manage to find something to clear it and, more importantly, stop it coming back.

• Options
    Thanks Trogs.  I have absolutely no rash on my legs, just itching from ankles to haunches and skin's a bit dry.  The face thing is weird tho' - that's a proper rash on just one side. image
  • Options
    Oh poor old thing - hope I didn't make you feel worse. Have you seen a doc yet? Take care.
  • Options

Parky - cover yourself on goose fat a la channel swim image

Yup, I missed a few rounds where I forgot image

• Options

Waff - you didn't make me feel worse.  I just feel bad for all you others on here who've suffered with the swimmers' itch and I'm trying not to think of Gaz with a 'shrivelled nose' image.  Earlier on I felt like that that bloke on There's Something About Mary who comes out in hives and keeps scratching and twitching. 

My friend's given me some tea tree antiseptic cream and I've slathered it all over.  I smell lovely!

I heard that Ian Thorpe was allergic to chlorine and when I U-tubed a vid of him (purely for analytical purposes imageimageimage) beating Van Den Hoogenband and Phelps, I noticed he wore a full body suit.

EDIT: Oops read back and Gaz wrote sniffles, not shrivels. image

• Options
    My itchy shins don't manifest straight away but some hours later, and they drive me mad.
  • Options
    Yeah me too Gaz, then it moves up the legs.
  • Options

Many thanks to the forumite who pointed out that I had entered a rather splendid 800m time. image

Unfortunately, I am a long way off from showing such prowess and have asked for my time to be changed.

Rebecca Adlington is not my aliasimage

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    I've finally got round to doing my 1500m swim, and although I wasn't knackered at the end it felt nice and steady. So I was fairly disappointed to be still trailing well behind my best % (219 vs 207) as I had though I'd improved a bit.

Anyone else finding this?
  • Options
    Joddly don't worry about it, I stormed my 1500m and was astonished with my amazing time. Still got a crap score though. Three other swims have had worse % and more points - I don't really get it. However, I'm convinced taking part has made me swim with more focus and determination than I would have otherwise - so it's all good. I guess.....
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    I don't mind about the points too much, as I think that depends on what other people are doing, but I'd rather hoped to see an improvement in my %.
    I do agree with you about the overall benefit of taking part.
    Still hoping for a slightly better % in my final 400m, though I doubt I'll reach my base time as I think I cocked that one up by swimming in an odd pool and must have calculated the distance wrongly.
    There's always next year!
  • Options

I'm still not getting the mahoosive percentage increases that some people are having. 

Just how can you practically double the distance yet knock so much off the time.  In a fortnight !!!