#winterswim2010

123457»

Comments

• Parky, see you missed the deadline for 1500m as well.

You ok hun image

• Hello Gaz

I went swimming for the first time in a couple of weeks last Friday.  I wanted to try 800M to see if I could do it on Sunday but overslept.  Was never really going to attempt 1500M, well unless I'd split it into sections.

Wanted to get rid of the itchy leg thing, so that's gone.  Have had a bit a CBA and lack of motivation going on.  I think things'll be a lot better when I've moved into the new flat and I can get organised.  I'll also have the choice of 2 local pools so less excuses.

I fell of my bike yesterday, so my leg's quite sore and I've got a couple of small cuts.  I do plan to swim later this week tho' - what distance are we on now?

• We are back again to the 400m for the final session.

You fell off your bike !!!  How on earth did you do that,  Emergency stop.  How are you, hopefully not injured again. Are you running again yet, how's the ankle?

I'm working away at the moment, have access to a pool but no bike with me.  Need to see if I can get access to a gym or something for a static session.

• First time out in cleats.  Got to our destination (cafe) - couldn't clip out, fell off.  It was painful and still sore today.  I was supposed to do a short run yesterday to test out other foot but I could hardly stand on bike injured foot!  So I can't comment on how the sprained ankle will hold up yet but it certainly feels better.
  • So we're back to 400M.  I'm planning to give it a go on Sunday.  I fell off my bike last Sunday, so haven't done anything this week except weights and sit-ups at home.  Leg is better but still sore and stiff where I've bruised the bone.  It has a bit of a slightly burning/grazed feeling in the injured area (the bone, rather than the skin) - has anyone else experienced this?

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Parky - hard luck with the new biking injury. I still unclip about a mile before I think I might have to stop!

Good luck with the swim on Sunday. I've managed to improve on my mid-term 400m, so pleased with that, but still slower than my base time, which just has to have been a calculation error.

Anyone know the true length of the Arthur Hill pool in Reading? Website says 27.4m, so I reckon either that's wrong or (more likely) I got my sums mixed up!

• Swam for the first time in 9 days on Sunday.  The 400M felt fine.  A little bit slower than last time but considering my swimming's dropped off recently, not as bad as I expected.  I've got until this Sunday to improve it, so will have 2 more goes.

• Good stuff Parky - I still have your turbo in my boot. Just trying to decide who to press gang into delivering it to you....
  • Hi Waff.  No rush.  I'm moving in 4 weeks' time and will probably store the turbo at the house of a friend who's looking after my road bike, although he'd probably make use of it before I take it away and I'll nip over there for turboing too.  Thanks for this.image
  • NIce to hear you're back in the swim Parky, won't be too long before you're back up to speed.
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    OK, that's me done for Winterswim 2010. I've finally managed two 400m faster than my base time now, and those were the only two over any distance that improved my % (still haven't got below the elusive 200% though).

Good luck for any remaining 400m swims Parky and others!

Definitely worth doing, but now it's time to stay in the pool a bit longer.........
  • Last day tomorrow (Saturday).

Haven't broken the elusive 200% either joddly.

Great swimming by Mandel to smash his previous 400m time, well done Sir image

• Had a pretty poor swim this morning; don't know why, just not swimming smoothly.  Improved 400m time a little but not as much as I'd hoped.

Might try to get back to the pool before deadline time for one last try

• Thanks Gaz.  Have finally broken into the top 10 (although may be pushed out by the end of the day...)

Sympathise with people about ridiculous improvments.  There are some fairly stupid things going on with some people.  I steadily improved over the rounds and accumulated points but there are some above me that were able to knock say 2 mins off their 400m times over the last week alone!  The same people who were able to swim a far quicker 1500m when they struggled over 800m (their 800m split over 1500m must have been about 3 or 4 mins quicker than the stand alone 800).  Just not possible.  Still if people are that deaperate to win then so be it. I just found it a useful kick up the arse to get in the pool more.

• Good final swim day yesterday.  Pool was almost empty so no issues with swimmers image

Finally dipped below 200% and have managed to knock 30 secs off my best 400m time (not my base time) so very happy.

I think lap counting has been an issue for many on the swim, some person managed a 140% improvement on their 800m with a 12 min 400m and then a 13 min 800m.

Ah well, enjoyed it though, and well done to everyone who managed to keep it going.

• Just logged my final 400M with improvement on the last 2.  See you all next year image
  • Well done Parky, really nice to see that there is an improvement despite you being sidelined with the injuries you've sustained recently.

• Hi Gaz - I've been out running 3 times this week.  Went off-road yesterday and it felt good.  This is after 10 weeks off.  Going for a run later, waiting to get the local train out, then I'll run back home.
  • That's more like it image  Missed out on going under 200% by a couple of seconds but still 10secs better than Friday's effort.

Well done everybody.  Has definitely made me swim more regularly through the winter than I might have done otherwise and I've generally seen small improvements each time.  

Friend of mine is among those who've had regular large improvements but, he was a bit brick-like when this started and with a combination of lessons and regular swimming  has genuinely improved massively.

Gaz - think that  800m person has acknowledged that 13 should've been 23; logged late on last day of round and didn't notice error till it was too late to change it.

Looking forward to next year to see if I can maintain/continue improvements

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Everyone seems to have ended on a good note, so well done to us all!

Next year that 200% has to go.............
  • Not sure what hapened but countdown timer finished midnight Saturday but people were still updating their times all through yesterday.

Good winter swimming though image

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

I finished top of round seven.  Yey me image *

*Sorry for the shameless indulgence but I never finish top of any table, ever!

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Well done, Happychap!

If you can't blow your own trumpet round here, where else can you?!