Tuition Fees?

2»

Comments

• just because you aren't earning enough to not pay back the loan doesn't stop it accumulating interest. 

all this about not paying til you are earning £X its nonsense.  They catch up with you in the end, just for a bigger amount. 

What happens to the loan if you die? Do you family/estate have to pay it? Or is it classed that you can you permanently defer image

• I don't think there's any harm in peeps going to Uni in the hope that they will get a decent job and pay off the loan. It's just that the original post came across, to me, as saying 'I'll do this for fun cos they won't be able to make me pay'. Sorry if I misinterpreted that.
  • Farnie, I believe the loan is written off if not repaid after a certain time.
  • " If you take out a loan for the first time after 1 August 2007 and have kept up your repayments, the SLC will usually cancel any loan plus any interest:
    • 35 years after the April that you first became liable to repay your loan (rather than when you reach 65);
    • if you die before you pay the loan off; or
    • if you become permanently disabled and unfit for work. " 
  • I would aim to pay any loan off but there seems to be a lot of room for abuse and for mature students say over 50 not getting chance to pay it back, however well intentioned. How could government stop this without forcing unis to discriminate on grounds of age?

Even with young students, are the government gonna say and do nowt if too many of them cannot repay due to not being able to earn enough? They would have to lower threshold then.

Personally I think it is not good to saddle young people with £30,000 +  debt. Debt is what got us into sh!t street as a country.

• Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

I would aim to pay any loan off ...

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/student-life/money-and-funding/Second-degrees-an-follow-on-courses/

Looks like no government loan available...

• Quote from the NUS website:

If you already hold an honours degree from a UK institution, you won’t be entitled to a fee loan, a maintenance grant or a special support grant for any part of a second degree course.

That was the case when I was at Uni and that thought that's still the deal.  To pretend you don't have a degree would be fraud.

• Apparently the only exceptions are that you’re entitled to a loan for living costs (nothing else) if the second course leads to a professional qualification as a medical doctor, a dentist, a veterinary surgeon, an architect, a landscape architect, a landscape designer, a landscape manager, a town planner or a town and country planner.

Music is not on the list.

• Personally I think it is not good to saddle young people with £30,000 +  debt. Debt is what got us into sh!t street as a country.

Debt isn't bad, Not understanding your debt and not managing it is bad !

If a few students understood the debt they will leave uni with it will perhaps get them to study rather than pi$$ing about for 3 or 4 years

• I am not that sympathetic to be honest grants were to encourate a level playing field so people rom all backgrounds could go to University if they had the academic ability but you still had to be in the top 5-10% to qualify now its 50% the country can not reasonably be expected to pay for all those students - the question of fees level is up to the Unis now but of course they are going to try and cover the funding gap created when their funding gets cut

I have always suspected that the increase in numbers was a trick to try and reduce the dole cue whilst making the student pay.  I also suspect that it cheaper than the old apprenticeship schemes which developed good vocatrionally qualified individual for their chosen profession but maybe were not so good at taking exams

• FerrousFerret wrote (see)
    I don't think you can get (with some exceptions) funding for second degree.  I think this covers both the fee that the LEA would pay to the university and your eligability for any student loans.
    If you have a degree already you are not eligible for a tuition fee loan or a maintainence loan. The University can also charge you the full cost of the course. So the amount the student pays (either via their loan or direct) plus the amount the Higher Education Funding Council pays direct to the University, currently a total of  £5,800.00 per year. Universities are already charging this to students who don't qualify for funding.
    There are two exceptions I know of - Architecture and Social Work.
    However there is not currently a national register of awarded degrees, so if you took you degree prior to the formation of the Student Loans Company (1992/93 Academic year I think) and fail to mention your degree on your application form you may get away with it.
     You could if caught be prosecuted for theft as you would have gained a pecuniary advantage by deception ( Theft Act 68) - although I am not aware of anyone being prosecuted to date - the SLC normally ask for full payment of any funds gained immediately.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I've already got a degree, but have got funding for my second - if the second degree leads to a professional qualification (they have a list), then you may still be entitled to finance.

So assuming you want to be a doctor/vet/architect/etc. you can go back to uni and be funded for it. I suppose part of the idea behind that being the starting salary will mean you have to start paying back straight away image