Coasters 2011 LEJOG Zone C - North England

Comments

• woody's link in a picimageimage  (child's play) didn't plop high points on but they are on this routeimage

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/normap.bmp

• Minni wrote (see)

Great, thanks.  There are a few events on in the Cheviots in June/July/August which might clash. 

Will keep in touch.

thing is just keep plopping on. What we did last year is have some doing midweek and we told folk to do it at the times they did a training run (treat it as a group of linked training runs-lol) 
  • STU - wrote (see)

welcome minniimage please yes -let folk know

so far we have

woody

Mike

Mick w

Philip

John

Clare

Stu

Baz Cuck

Minni

• Roughly what kind of mileage do people run for their leg? Does any northerner fancy meeting me on the top of Ingleboro', and I'll set off towards Dent via Whernside or summat?
  • as much or as little as you like Mick
  • Mick you can also do multiple legs on the same or different days.

I like the list Stu and that it's growing image

Hi Minni it would be great if you can get more runners to join in.

• colin mate....i cant keep up with this.....will you put me down for a leg please??? and just let me know where and when you want me ?? you have my number pal and i deffo want to help.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Yep I'll be able to do that.  Most of the runners around here are fell runners and are crazy!
  • Cheers Andy thanks for your support  I'll keep you posted would you be up for more than one bit (leg) if needed .

You're telling me Minni,  I started fell running a couple years back and crazy is an apt description  image...... they are a different breed the County tops will be a breeze for them imageimage

• so far we have

woody

Mike

Mick w

Philip

John

Clare

Stu

Baz Cuck

Minni

Andy B99

• A, B, C, on the map at the start of this thread are nearest to me, so I can hopefully do something around there. I am a slow but enthusiastic runner though, so not someone to include for speed! image

I'm getting lost in this thread, is anyone in particular from the list above covering the A-C section?

Clare.

• We need some idea of the distance of the route (rough will do  for now) and place folk. Remember it is about some doing high points and others flat bits (me for exampleimage). Not hearing the word inclusive very muc now but this event is "inclusive" AND OPEN TO ANYBODY regardless of ability.

Getting a rough distance will be a great way of defining how many days/weeks we will need (leaving a couple to play with)> When is dependent on early stretches doing a rough distance and time scale though.

• At a dead rough guess from a rough route , we are talking 400 miles (maybe a 3 weeker to allow  acouple of days spare).
  • Well, I mentioned Whernside and I'm happy to do that, but my range would be anywhere from the Ilkley /Keighley area (depending which way the route comes through) up towards Dent (assuming it's heading that way into Cumbrian territory). A run of between 7 - 12 miles would do me fine, off-road if at all possible. If I have to run a road run I'll have to get some new shoes!
  • I'd like to help if possible.
  • of course it is possible Nurse Gladimage Where are you?
  • woody2run www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

so far we have

woody

Mike

Mick w

Philip

John

Clare

Stu

Baz Cuck

Minni

Andy B99

Nurse Gladys

plopped you on anyway Gladimage We do have a designated mapping thread for those who like a technical fix every so often Saves making an atlas of this thread.

• good news stu john bulmer is up for it txt him earlier today said he is getting to check out the zone c and will look into doing some routes for our area any idea where the exchange points will be for the area covering burnhope seat nice to see our ng back on the thread hope your feeling good and hope to see you maybe on one of the legs somewhere .stu can u add paul h gary c mick g john  g and john b to your list of runners they are lookin forward to the event any rough idea when baz will be arriving into county durham
  • philip teece wrote (see)
    good news stu john bulmer is up for it txt him earlier today said he is getting to check out the zone c and will look into doing some routes for our area any idea where the exchange points will be for the area covering burnhope seat nice to see our ng back on the thread hope your feeling good and hope to see you maybe on one of the legs somewhere .stu can u add paul h gary c mick g john  g and john b to your list of runners they are lookin forward to the event any rough idea when baz will be arriving into county durham

Excellent news Philipimage Will add the folk now tooimage  Consider yourselves plopped on -lolimage

No idea when excatly Baz will arrive. I suspect around August but that is a wid guess. I hope that we can be clearer in a month or so.

STU - wrote (see)
    woody2run www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

so far we have

woody

Mike

Mick w

Philip T

Clare

Stu

Baz Cuck

Minni

Andy B99

Nurse Gladys

John B

Paul H

Gary C

Mick G

John G

plopped you on anyway Gladimage We do have a designated mapping thread for those who like a technical fix every so often Saves making an atlas of this thread.
  • we are doing better for folk than anybody so farimage More people focussed than map focussed -that is the trickimage
  • STU - wrote (see)

woody's link in a picimageimage  (child's play) didn't plop high points on but they are on this routeimage

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/normap.bmp

Rough Routeimage

For your technical tantalizing titillation -we have this

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=2&UTN=169152&last=1&V=7&SP=

• Stu, I'm a bit of a luddite, can't seem to get onto any mapping sites to look at the rough route of Barry the baton as he comes through our patch. All I can get is a thick blue line passing somewhere to the north of Leeds and up into the dales...

Can you help? I know it's early days, but it would be nice to get a closer look at the sort-of-intended route.

• Mick -I am with you in the luddite club. Woody did the guide but it is only a guide. I am not a mappy peop at all but someone will be involved in sorting that bit.

As you say, early days. We do need a mapper for this zone,though. Most zones are in the "very rough" stage.

• Hi Mick

The route hasn't been mapped proper yet as the route has not been decided. Below is a list of the Tops we must visit, the route is up to us all, You can decide which way you would like to go for the Top or  Tops you'd like to visit. Hope this helps image or have I made it as clear as mud LOLimage  

Zone C

25    Staffordshire    520    Cheeks Hill
    18    Derbyshire    636    Kinder Scout
    21    Cheshire    582    Black Hill
    50    Lincolnshire, Parts of Lindsey    168    Normanby Top, The Wolds
    42    Yorkshire, East Riding    246    Bishop Wilton Wold
    14    Yorkshire, West Riding    736    Whernside
    9    Lancashire    803    Coniston Old Man
    2    Cumberland    978    Scafell Pike
    3    Westmorland    950    Helvellyn
    10    Yorkshire, North Riding    788    Mickle Fell
    13    Durham    746    Burnhope Seat
    8    Northumberland    815    Cheviot !The Cheviot

• mm -think it is useful for folk to look and consider roads between peaks (the flatter bits)  unless we get a bus between them -lolimage We have to use us real brains really image

who is/are co-ord/s?

• Mmmm - however . . . often theres a 'flatter' or contouring  off-road alternative - eg ridges, long distance paths etc, which have the added benefit of  being more direct and with more interesting things to feast your eyes on than Tarmac. . image

PS Stu if you need a definition of 'contour' or 'ridge' then please pop along to the mappers haven image

Keep it fun image

• lol -I aint that far behind -used maps and that 36 years ago as an air cadetimage Did do some of the Cleveland way too with help of paper map and signsimage  Good for me in them days. It is the puter stuff that scares meimage

taking the wee wee out of us Social Scientists -I dunnoimage

• Plus many rural roads are single track and not the best or safest to run on. I've no doubt in places roads will be the better option but I think it should be up to each individual to decide.
  • Defo let the folks  do the exactifying of the rough route. image They will know area best and maps don't always tell you the dangers. It may mean expanding the distance we have to cover but safety must come first.

A look at all access points to high points is crucial. Some roads or tracks up may be eroded or with limited access.