Options

Marathon - belt or no belt

2»

Comments

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

But the bottle wright be heavier then the wrappers around the gels ? 

so when finished you would be lugging around an empty bottle.

• Options

That's a good idea jeremy lucus. I think i'll try that on my next long run see how it works out. 

• Options

Was thinking of those tiny bottles you get on some belts./ bum bags..

gels are a pain to carry,some of those belts that carry bottles may work,I was thinking carry water in 3 and gel mix in one..

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Wow. Thread resurrected after 2 1/2 years.

I was worried about this before my first marathon last weekend and in the end used a cheap Hilly belt which has 2 pockets for gels and a bottle carrier and it worked really well with no bouncing around. I didn't take any water, but have tried carrying a full bottle in it and it works well.

I found that it's best if worn on my hip rather than round the back and pulled tight.

The SIS style belts do seem to shed gels.

I'm thinking about trying a small bottle filled with either gels, or more likely, runny honey for my next race and will be trying this out soon on my long training runs.

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

BTW - I've heard of people using the small bottles from 'Frootshootz' or similar instead of gel bottles. That way you can throw it away when it's empty.

• Options

got to be other ways to overcome this prob,on my long runs I carry a back pack throw everything in,and grab it when I need it ,,not good if your in a race

• Options

Never found it a problem and never seen the need for a belt - just get shorts with pockets?

I've had cheap shorts with 2 pockets that I just sewed a bit of velcro on to close it to stop things falling out - 3 gels per side were fine (if loose and bouncing just use a sewing machine to make gel sized pouches in the pockets).  I also bought some Ultramarathon shorts with 5 pockets (all round rather than just the sides) that also do the job.

• Options

Just seen some ultra marathon shorts,with pockets at the back..look just the ticket!

• Options

I pop 2-3 in my bra! Then 1-2 in my leggings or shorts pocket. Did chafe last week though.

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

LJ - Let me know if you need a soothing hand with that chaffing.

Back to reality. I've tucked a couple in the belt of my trishorts before and they normally stay put. I'm not sure that I could get enough for a full marathon in there though.

• Options
    I pin my to my tights, up at the top along the waistband, and I also cut a little slit either side so that they are easily ripped off on the run.
  • Options
    Every marathon I've done I've used a High5 belt. I always add an extra one or two gels - in case i fumble or lose one, and so far none have fallen out.

It also doubles as my race number belt and I can use the little pouch in the back of it for my hotel room card if I need to.
  • Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

For a HM, I just carry something sweet in my pocket. 

I've only done one full marathon... which had 'gel stations'.   Is it rare to have gel / energy drinks supplied by the organisers en route?

• Options

I'm looking for a hydration belt. I've been running 10k for about 9 months but I'm now looking at increasing my distance to half marathon and possibly even marathon. I've never drunk whilst doing the 10k but I'm thinking that if I'm increasing my distance I probably need to. I'm about 5' 4" and female and was wondering if anyone could recommend a hydration belt (i'm not sure about the idea of carrying a bottle in my hand), or tell me what I should be looking out for. Ideally I'd like to have somewhere to store a key and my phone as well so I don't need to take my arm band which tend to rub.

• Options

I only take a drink if I am running 15k or more, I use a Salomon XR energy belt and would thoroughly recommend it. It holds enough drink for HM+ and a big pocket for phone, food and keys, plus some gel straps. It's very comfy and secure.

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I got a karrimor running belt from sports direct for a fiver. Has a wide flat pocket and a couple of gel loops. Adjustable, doesn't move or bounce and works absolutely fine. Sold as "mens" for some reason but are unisex. As for water bottle belts I'd invest a bit more and go for a Nathans elite. Because of the weight it is essential these sit comfortably and the Nathan once does the job.
  • Options

I either use shorts with pockets - say 3 high5 each side for a marathon - or a roosport pouch that can be attached to any garment waistband. You can fit quite a few in the open-topped pocket with the tops sticking out. This pouch is also useful for keys, credit card, iphone or whatever.

I had the pleasure of meeting the founder of the little family company roosport at the Boston mara expo this year. They now do a slightly longer one for those phones bigger than an iphone.