Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Brilliant effort Gul! You deserved that after the decent training you've been doing lately. Never in doubt really.

That will give you great confidence in having a stab at 3.15. Although let's not think about that yet, just bask in the glory of your success.

Ant- that's a tough day. I usually think 'stuff this for a game of soldiers' and could easily stop in the first few miles of a race, especially a half when it does feel way too uncomfortable in the early stages until you get in the groove.

Of course, I haven't stopped. No chance, but I have felt like it. image

I know from previous experience over training can cause a fair bit of mental fatigue and since it wasn't your A race you can lack the fire in your belly you need to really push on.

If it's over training I'd give the 10k a miss as you'll only dig a hole but if it was just the CNBA fairies, pull your self together man and smash that 10k!!!

Great 10k efforts from you Mennania. Starting to get back to form.

12 miles for me tonight, no dramas apart from stepping/ slipping in dog sh*t!

That's the second time that has happened, the dirty b'stards.
  • Options

Thoroughly deserved result Gul, and a great race report. A little bit of shouting at yourself never hurt anyone

99.4 miles for the week. I am wondering whether I should pop out and do a quick 0.6 to tidy things up. Got my number and start for NY marathon today. I am just behind the pro males, so once again am guaranteed to go off way too fast.

• Options

Gul: cracking result
    AvO: a tough day at the office
    Also ran: Not doing the 0.6 shows maturity and confidence.
    Moof: shit happens
    er

moving on........

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Take it easy now AR, isn't that two 21 milers in the past 5 days? I don't want you picking up any niggles.

Pop out and nail that 0.6 but make sure it takes at least 5 minutest, then have a day off.
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    All set for Abo, Blisters?

A question- has anyone bothered with carb depletion? And if so was it of any benefit and what did you eat up to the carb loading? (I have no problem with that bit.)
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Ah Gul, you really brought it home. Next stop - a comfortable sub 3.15 mara?

Nice speed from Menna too

Moof I have done accidental carb depletion at times due to the irregular lifestyle. Not convinced it works.

Ant - it happens, don't dwell on it. Perhaps DNF is just a sign that something bigger is wrong and should have been confronted before race day....eg overtraining, fatigue, lack of commitment. I'm still a bit unhappy about my one DNF at 100m, but it's a powerful incentive not do it again
  • Options

Moof - mind your step! Taper must be in full swing by now.
    AR - can't believe you're slacking and stopping short of 100 miles.
    I'm allowing myself a bit of a recovery week, then it's back to base-building for me. Aim to get up to around 64 miles a week ready for a crack at a spring marathon image Just a slow jog to the supermarket and back for me this morning (once they're open).

• Options

Gul, looks like it was a well run race. Splits look very even and that is hard with people heading off too fast and then others dying towards the end so sometimes you have to follow and other times pass or let pass and you seem to have done that well. I imagine that with the time under your belt now you can go on and do even better.

I assume there is some unfinished business with VLM from 2010 so is the current plan to do a spring 2014 with an eye to 3:15 which gives you GFA 2015? If it is, you need to make sure that you find a course where 3:15 is plausible and well populated: you don't want to end up doing a 26.2 solo time trial.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

That's an excellent performance Gul.  Well done on your great preparation and execution.

Ant - all you have done is confirm you are an elite runner - look at Patrick Macau - he stops all the time if he's not going to win

OO50 - I'm very sorry to hear about your family pet.  That's always very traumatic.

I've been ill from Friday through to Sunday with a virus that's kept me in bed all Friday and I've had lots of naps Saturady and Sunday.  So I've done absolutely no excercise.  Better now though

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Bit of a busy weekend for the thread...

PMJ, good parkrun.

Gul, astounding time! Very well run. What would you say is the biggest difference in your training to knock such a hole in your PB? Looking for a sub-90 and then going 20 secs/mile faster is a significant change of pace.

Ant, just a bad day at the office. Smack the 10k instead.

GM, nice controlled pacemaking duties there.

A pleasant jaunt at the XC for Lorenzo!

OO50, sorry to hear your news. Never easy to deal with.

Men, an understated V40 podium place, and a very quick downhill second half.

Nice 12 from Moof, despite inconsiderate dog owners.

So what's the target for New York, AR?

BI, recover well.

Just an easy 8 early doors on Sunday for me. Had forgotten how dark it is at that time of the morning in mid-October with no street lights. Didn't bother with the head torch, and subsequently had to stop a couple of times to allow for the startled ponies and deer to get out of my way... should know by now!

• Options

Abbers - I always find it a bit disturbing when you are faced with a few sets of eyes in the the pitch black. Certainly a good wake up call.

"So what's the target for New York, AR?"

I am hoping to grab a sub 2:50 time. I have put in a fairly lengthy run of high mileage; much more than I have done before to see where it takes me. I have to say I haven't enjoyed it as it has become a bit of a chore, but I'm going to see it through to the end. My two big learning points so far is that I can't combine high weekly volume with speed work sessions, and if anyone so much I looks at me I pick up a virus or cold image

• Options

Bike-It  speedy recovery hopefully so you can resume the rehab / return to running. Keep your germs in Reading though.

• Options

PMJ - Certainly, there is unfinished business with the marathon, but not necessarily London. However, it would be nice to do London again if only because of the chance to meet some of the lovely folks on this thread.
    Bike It - sorry to hear about the virus. Hope you make a quick recovery.
    Abbers - biggest difference has surely got to be the consistent training. Up until 2 years ago I was beset by injury. It finally made it into my thick skull that I need to be patient and sensible with the training.
    AR - good luck with your sub 2:50 target. I can sympathise with the high volume / speed work not mixing. I try and periodise my training and cut right back on the mileage to focus on speedwork.
    Found this less than flattering photo of the finish line on the GER website (I'm the one with the baseball cap and grey singlet in a rather strange pose):

/members/images/340777/Gallery/IMG_0355.jpg

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

AR, you've certainly been doing some big miles, so all the best with your target. Sounds seriously quick to me! Hopefully the training effort will bear fruit.

Gul, reading the experiences of one of the sub-3 thread guys who also ran the GER yesterday, it sounds like there could be some time to come off too, given the wind, rain and twisty course. Even more impressive.

While lurking over in sub-3 land, I also noticed a very understated sub-80 half from TR yesterday while tired, ill, in bad weather and on not the quickest course. Take a bow! 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gul - good to see that the early mornings paid off, good breakthrough, take the self confidence that brings.

Abbers - not really ill, had a cold and felt ropey last week, biggest problem was the SPO made me go to a 40th Saturday in a marquee in someones garden and I froze there til midnight, by the time the laid on transport dropped us off home at about 1am I had a right sense of humour failure. Didnt really fancy racing, and my heart was never really in it, think I saved myself a few matches though by not going to deep into the well. That course was more Downton that Gosport esp in the wind.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Excellent driving with the legs, GD, although I think Julian Goater recommends eyes should be focused ahead ten feet or so and not down*.

* MsE forgets what it is like to race and happily dispenses annoying advice from her armchair.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great report, Gul;  as well as the big result, good to feel your sheer pleasure at toeing the line - excellent stuff ! 
    I also noted TR's effort - nice one ! 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That forward stance suggest you were still full of running Gul

• Options

Belting result Gul well chuffed for you. the result doesn't surprise me and as others have said no doubt more to come off given the weather. image

im running a bit but have not done much since moving back north in May. It's taken longer to settle into the routine than I was hoping. decided to try a 26 week build up to VLM starting today. The next 8 weeks will just be about getting ready to train.

• Options

Great report Gul to match a great result.

Well done TR. 

Hey RJ. Good to hear that you are back on the path.

• Options

Abbers - to be honest, I really don't think the wind and rain were bad enough to make much difference. And going through the housing estates people were cutting corners which probably made up for the turns (none of which I remember being bad anyway).
    TR - very impressive HM, especially as you say you were saving matches!
    MsE - I had obviously just been glancing at my watchimage
    RJ - great to hear from you again. All the best with the pre-training training!

• Options

Oh, yes. Set off for an easy run this morning and all the aches and pains convinced me to cut it short and do just 3 miles at a snail's pace.

• Options

Gul - I think you were just trying to do an impression of your avatar. Did you not have a book to hand?

Good to hear from you RJ. Are you back up in Yorkshire?

Up in Inverness at the moment so managed 8.3 miles along the River Ness. Easy 4 miles out, then faster coming back. So-so peformance. 

• Options

Really enjoyed your report Gul.

AR - big mileage from you.

Feeling battered today - The hills obviously took their toll.

• Options

Great report Gul and excellent HM from TR, esp given the race preparation the night before.

Back in the saddle for me in the pouring rain (summer's over) to do 8 miles incl. 8 x 500m - a gentlish reps session to get some confidence back and as a nod towards preparing the 10k for next Sunday.

Reps went from the first in 1:51 (6:00mm) and the last in 1:44 (5:36mm) so quite happy with those.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Enjoyed your report and that's a good action photo! Are you gonna do a 10k race in the near future? I'd say you would be certain of a sub 40 with a bit to spare, given the kinda form you are currently in.

Menn - Polarised splits, the 1st half looked tough, well done on the placing and a good time too!

Ant - Back on the horse, good to see and nice reps there!

• Options

Well done Gul, an excellent result and a great confidence booster image

What made me start running? I ran at school, starting out in the 200m before finding that the longer distances suited me better to the point that I used to win the 800m & 1500m on Sports Day & the annual cross country race. It was a small school in deepest Shropshire however and it was a rugby school, so I was never encouraged to take it further, and even if I’d wanted to the nearest club was 20 miles away.  Sometimes I’d run the county XC as well and get absolutely blown away by the kids who trained, had spikes etc whilst I ran round in my rugby kit & boots. I did know however that I got better the further the distance, and on a whim when I was 16 or 17 I ran round a 20 mile sponsored walk course in the hills around Church Stretton in about 2:45 on absolutely no training (followed by a monstrous bout of cramp), and said to myself that one day I’d do a marathon. When I left school however I never ran again, but I kept thinking about the marathon.

When I hit 40 I started thinking about it a bit more, then I discovered in late June that my wife had entered the Great North Run. This was a complete surprise as she’d never shown any inclination to do anything even vaguely sporting and she has dodgy knees. I had to do it with her, and fortunately because I was working for Bupa at the time I managed to sneak a place through them.  To my surprise, despite 12 years of inactivity I got up to being able to run 5 miles within a couple of weeks quite easily, but the wife only managed two sessions with Running Sisters before realising that her knees were not going to take it. I therefore went and found my local club because I knew I’d need help and advice, and my proper running career started there. The GNR took just under 2:10 because I started too far back, but I ran the Cabbage Patch 10 in 1:18:27 a couple of weeks later which gave a better idea of what I could do, and things have only improved from there. Now at 50 I’m fully immersed in the sport as club chairman, parkrun event director and a race director as well, and I think my wife regrets that she ever entered that race and got me running.

Just wish I could properly get back into the routine after best part of 15 months out through injury. I'm allowing myself to miss too many Sunday runs at the moment and I need to get my arse in gear.

• Options

Indeed Lorenzo. I've moved to Leeds so much closer to my roots.  Although I still seem to be in London quite a lot! Five days out of the last ten working days I've been in the Smoke. That is one of the reasons why I seem to be struggling with the routine. There is none!

Looking forward to seeing how folks go this year, is there a list?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hello RJ *big wave* nice to hear from you.

Yes we need a list.  Where is the old one? Or should we start a new one?  Then there's targets to think about... image

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Hi Jase, good decision to move away from that smelly expensive place

There was a bit of a list a while back, stg like...

Oct 20 - Abingdon mara – DS2 sub 3.10, Moof sub 3
    Oct 27 - Frankfurt - SJ - sub 3
    Dec 8 - Newcastle Racecourse HM - Minni sub 1.30

Adding on....

Apr 13 - VLM (loads of you)
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher 

Feel free to cut/paste the reelvant bits & add target races - shift+rtn usually avoids double spacing 

No running here, ankle the size of a football and off to the mad places next few weeks image