Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well the running gods shone down on Whitley Bay parkrun this morning . Nice condition brought out a record field of 250 runners. And all these heroics (I'm thinking of Jools and Badbark in particular) lifted me to a new V50 PB of 17:46. Glided through the field taking 2 position with a sprint finish to end up 2nd overall. Not sure where that one came from...

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Splendid result, OO !  Must be a nice WAVA score, too. 

17 hilly ones here this morn, now I have to do 7 tomorrow to complete a 50 for the week . . 

New York on Eurosport 14:30 tomorrow for those with the channel.

Hope the wind off the English channel is not too bad for TR tomorrow . . . .

PS - what is a " pinkie promise "  (MsE)

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    10 casual miles for me today at 7.42 LSR pace. Threw in a 7.18 for the last mile for a laugh. Heart rate was nice and low all the way.

My mileage is slowly building. I'm not that daft to go straight into a campaign without a decent base from which to build upon. I should have done a 3.16 or 3.17 in Paris this year but injury on the day cost me but I still managed a 3.23 PB. My training for Brighton is based upon the many lessons learned from the Paris campaign and recognising what my body is capable of and what works to give me speed and endurance. My HM PB is 1.30 so I know what it takes to get a bit quicker.

I came on here to see what it takes to get close to 3.15 and stay injury free (if that's possible) in a full mara as my Brighton target is sub 3.20. However, it seems this is more of a sub 3 hr thread and possibly not really relative to my target time, or am I mis-reading?image

I am extremely encouraged and inspired by those older than my 46 years putting in some superb races. Life in the old dog yet! image

SB
  • Options

Thanks for the advice! 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes Birch 82:93 WAVA image 

• Options

OO - Cracking parkrun, yes that must be in the 80plus% and 2nd as well. What time was 1st place??

PMJ - That's a greatpaper cut out and a nice keepsake. The winner won in 24:20, that was surely an elite runner? What was your time, can you remember? I think 5 miles is a great distance for road running and there should be more of them.

SB - Nope, your marathon PB is much quicker than mine! Learn and share that seems to be the ethos in these parts. Helps no end. Nice 10 miler btw.

Birch - Nice 17 miler. Your mileage puts me to shame! I will be watching NYC tomorrow! It's a fascinating mens race with Kebebe and Kiprotich going head to head for the WMM $500K 1st prize. Throw Mutai, Lel and Biwott in the mix as well and I feel it will be a classic. Gutted no Ryan Hall though, injury after injury must be devastating for him and he for me, is the most talented non African marathoner of the last few decades. Hope Meb goes well, he may not be the quickest but he's a a super racer!

Might try a 10 miler tomorrow and could be in danger of reaching the heady heights of a 30+ mile week. That will be my longest since my marathon last month.

Velloo - Like others have said, stick around and welcome!

• Options

OO - Rounded up to 83!image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Bloody hell OO that's just brilliant! Very well done - the Swiss life is obviously suiting you. 

MsE - I'll pinkie-promise Comrades but not Frankfurt. Still trying to work out if I can do Berlin but if not I'll stick to this country. 

SB - there are a lot of sub 3 on here now but not all and they were once where we are now. I'm still needing to go sub 3:15 (after 3:15.48) so do stick around.  What kind of injury did you suffer on the day and what will you do differently this time?  I'm not sure you can call 7:45 LSR pace - that's not much slower than MP.  All my long runs leading up to the 3:15 were 8:30+ pace unless they had quality in them. 

18 miles odd road for today - avg pace about 11 m/m 

• Options

Stunning stuff OO.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

It's the great improvements I've made to my diet Minniimage

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

lol!  

Off to buy a pie... 

• Options

Well done, OO - that's a great time and very impressive age-grading.  Is it ok that I paused to eat a piece of fruit cake before typing this sentence?

In terms of thread standard, in the same way as many people on the sub-3 thread have progressed to targetting sub 2.45 and beyond, there are now people on this thread who started out targetting 3.15 and have moved on, but that doesn't mean newbies targetting 3.15 in the medium or long term aren't welcome image

• Options

OO50 - Stunning performance! Well done.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Fray Bentos, the food of champions...and rather handy when you can't cook image

• Options

Indeed, when I joined this thread I was about to run my first marathon and was targeting 3.30. Back then 3.15 was just a pipe dream!

Nice parkrunning OO. I also parkran this morning. I paced a friend round to a 30sec + PB of 25.13. That was the warm up for this afternoon's National XC relays. I had 1st leg for the A team, probably because I complained I didn't like last let at the Midlands XC and National Road Relays. I do think I ran faster because it was more like being in a race than a time trial. It was bonkers at the start. Proper elbows out melée. No real clue how I did as I didn't know the girls around me and the time doesn't tell me much either. It was a good job I'd warmed up many hours earlier though, as the heavens opened 40 mins before the race and it was torrential. Luckily the sun came out just before the gun went, but the course was nicely muddied up for us. Anyway, 11.36 for 3k, which sounds slow compared to my track times but it certainly didn't feel slow! No idea of position.

• Options

SG - That xc 3k sounded frenetic!

I may dabble in xc this winter for the 1st time in 26 years! Doubt I'll be any good though as I only seem to be ok at running straight and on the flat.

In the office today and nipped out for a very hilly 10k run in the howling wind. That was an effort and climbed 350ft in 800m. Certainly got a sweat on. Had to really watch it though coming back down as it was mega slippery and I think I was slower coming down than going up. 7:31mm avg, that second irked me as the plan was to do 7:30mm avg!

• Options

Cracking stuff OO - have you been sneaking in a few boxes of Swiss chocs too...

Nice run Birch, nice cutting PMJ

It would be a shame if people were put off a sub 3.15 thread because it looks too fast - as CC indicates it's more about improvement than about rigid times. All are welcome.

10k on the dreadie this morning image

• Options

I think we should kick people out as soon as they achieve sub-3:15.

• Options

Yourself included Lit?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

There would only be me left. image

• Options

We won't leave you Minni! (But you'd only be here until April 13th anyway)

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

You've all been so patient with me. image 

• Options

You are indeed on borrowed time Minni cos you are absolutely going sub 3.15 in London. Aren't you?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes. I. Am. image 

• Options

OO - Congratulations on a great 5k. You must be gutted it didn't get you the win!

Birch - Quietly sneaking in some fantastic winter mileage, there. What are your goals for 2014?

Speedy - Good muddy running, not surprised it didn't feel slow!

Minni - That's my girl!

14 miles planned for tomorrow. Weather - atrocious.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

As I thought - fantastic WAVA, OO !
    Nice XC, Speedy - coincidentally just finished phone chat with my son - he ran 1st leg for his club.
    Ant - I just want to do as well as I can within the parameters of what I've got left  . .I'd like to get sub-3:30 in a spring mara, which would secure GFA for VLM 2015 when I will be 60  . . . and I need to stay injury-free . 

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I think we should kick people out as soon as they achieve sub-3:15.

Do you get let back in as soon as you fail to deliver one?
    2013 results:
    3:24 (pleased), 4:40(satisfied), 3:33 (and pissed off with that one).

• Options

OO, great running there. Always nice to get a sub 18 and that is way inside.

Gerard, I used to run 5 just inside 27:30, remember my coach saying I was closer to 5 minutes per mile than 6 and it seemed to be a big thing.

3:15 is an arbitrary figure and really (in my opinion) this thread is more about a common aim rather then achievement and that aim is to do the best with what we have. For some that does equate to fast times: I got goose bumps last week when Jools went sub 3 and when Gul came back from the GER with a stonking new half PB I was truly happy. But fast times are not always what this is about: there have been remarkable runs which have required people to find inner strenght, and also non-runs when illness and injury has happened and people had to pull out of big races: Keir before London 2011 when all was going well up to the last moment, the heat of Boston in 2012 and hte havoc that caused, long runs down the GUCR, 24 hour relays and solos, the odd 26 mielr on a tread mill or down to pick up a newspaper.

• Options

They say that if you mention someone on a therad they soon pop in, just looked up a few old names:

Matchstick Man is back in form, 19:19 at a parkrun.
    salf 2:57:08 new mara PB at Amsterdam