Sub 3h15

Comments

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

I agree with PMJs summary of what this thread is all about. We all have the same goal really which is just to be the best we can be. I'm inspired by plenty on here all for different reasons, RJ, PMJ, AR, GUL, Poacher, Jools, (apologies to anyone I've missed cos there's plenty more of you!) Some run paces I'll never get near while others on a good day and with plenty of hard work I may run close.

But it's really the people coming back from injury and or life issues that dust themselves down and just get on with it that really do inspire me.

Forget about the times people run and just look at the commitment. Simple really.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Just to contradict myself.

Fantastic Parkrun OO. That really is a great time and WAVA..

And a brilliant run by SalF.

(it's still all about the effort though)

• I agre with PMJ regarding this thread. I'm targetting sub 3 now, but quite frankly the sub 3 thread is just too far for me as most of them are on a different level. If everything is perfect in the build up and on race day and I get it right then I may just sneak sub 3 if I'm lucky. For this reason I really I consider myself a sub 3:15 runner, and thus the level of conversation/training/madness here is just about right.

A whole 54 miles for me in October. Sub 3 feels sooo far away right now.

• 9.5 miles for me today - 2 miles on road @ 8:10 pace, then 5.5 miles round our cross country course with the group @ 9:40 pace (inc a couple of stops to remove fallen trees), then 2 miles home @ 7:40 pace. Rather windy but all very comfortable and nice to be out there. I think I have a touch of sciatica though as my right glute and top of the thigh are a bit sore, especially in the car.

• Hello Gang,

Belated congrats to Jools (Brilliant!) and BB - I really enjoyed your training review which has given me plenty to chew on and it seems doubles to and from work are the way forward - I enjoy this thread particularly for the shared knowledge and understanding of all its members, it gives you the confidence to run a bit further and harder and has progressed me significantly. OO - stonking Parkrun and getting quicker each time.

Managed a few runs in the sun and am ready to get into some serious training.

Conditions look great in the Big Apple image

• Menn - I was looking at the forecast for NYC marathon on an American website and just read 16mph headwind for the 1st 20 miles and feeling chilly. Hope AR can tuck in and have a strong run.

Wet, windy and mis here at the mo. Toying with the idea of popping out for a 10 miler. Ah I'm off, it's only a bit of rain and wind, he says!image

• 14 miles d&d this morning @ 7:38mm - all felt a bit creaky-boned, but otherwise comfortable enough. That's 40 miles this week.

Trying to watch the NYC Marathon on a bit of a dodgy stream...

• Seems the only to avoid the gale force wind is to head inland and that means running up hills. 10 miles d&d @ 7:45mm. That takes me up to 32 miles for the week. Piddly compared to some on here but happy enogh with that.

Ant  - That's a good 14 miler there and nice round total for the week too!

Anyone know AR's number?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

AR = 1792 - he's just gone thru 10 miles - so far so good I would say  . . .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

17 windy miles here and 42 for the week.

• 15.5 miles for me this morning in 2:05 . Nice thing about it is that it is the first time I have run over 2 hours since 3 March, exactly 7 months ago. It was a lovely morning for running, dry underfoot, weak autumn sunshine with the sun low on the sky and great grip in the woods. I took a hilly route and just enjoyed running, and then hooked up with the local half towards the end of my run to shout on a few friends before heading back home.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good running from a few, notably OO's storming parkrun. Hope AR's adventure in New York ended well.

A swift catchup from the Lordshill 10 miles this morning. A somewhat "meh" 69.36 from me, about a minute slower than I've gone through 10 miles of my last 4 HMs, so not exactly what I was after, and lost to my running buddy from work for the first time too, although he's building for the Gosport HM in 2 weeks, whereas I've not done much since Bournemouth 4 weeks ago. In the circumstances, I'll take sub-7s, and it's an official PB as I don't race many 10 milers, and my last was about 5 years ago! Still, should be able to go a couple of mins quicker than that, so that's 5 races and 5 underwhelming results for 2013.

However, TR had a stomer; I'm sure he'll be along soon to explain, but I suspect he'll be modest as ever. Suffice to say, he should be very pleased with his efforts! Didn't manage to catch him before the start, even though I was looking out for his red Xempo top.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers - I didnt know what you looked like, I made myself visible in front of the start line, chatting to a couple of local lads (who keep trying to get me to join their club). You had a solid enough day, and the good thing about races is that they let you know where your fitness lies.........The really strong winds from last night had gone, but it was still blustery in places, and that dirt track road wasnt ideal given all the rain. I really wanted to bag something around 58:3X to show 77/78min potential for Gosport, and ended up with 59:08, so that was pretty solid. I had about 40 sec in the sub 60 buffer at 4M but had been writing cheques I knew my body couldnt cash for another 6M, but I still had about 60 sec in the buffer at 8M, but lost a bit in the wind and was hanging on badly by the end.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I agree with PMJ about the folks on here (and other forums) all striving in the same direction and egging the others on. Pro athletes have it easy, its the folks like us trying to balance work/life/sport that have it tough, I take my hat off to the mum's trying to do it.
    The level on here has gone up a lot, but thats due to folks inspiring other folks, There are now 100M weeks, sub 2:50s and the ladies going sub3, as well as regular sub3's. The best bit though is to log and and see that nutters like Gul have bagged all sorts of miles at stupid o'clock, because if he can be arsed to do that then..................

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Sorry to have missed you - hopefully our paths will cross again at other local races. Given favourable conditions, that Gosport target should be on. Will be keeping an eye out! Well dug in today, the 2nd half did seem to be slower than the 1st (more inclines and wind). I knew I wasn't really in the kind of shape to run 67ish, so onwards and upwards; the focus is now firmly on getting fit enough to start London training later in December; my first marathon campaign, so largely an unknown quantity. All a bit of a learning experience for the next few months.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers - I didnt hang around after, just ran a couple of miles and then went home*, We had a couple of indoor games today too. I'm sure we can arrange that meeting. I'm down for Gosport, then the Stubbington 10K in Jan, not sure about pre VLM races. Today will have done you good, you get a training affect from it too, take a few easy days to let it soak in.

* I was back at my car by 11:20 (after the race and a couple of easy miles), some fella sees me in my kit and says I'm too late the race has already happened !

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Great time there TR, nice to get a decent length race under 6mm pace.

Well done to you too Abbers,  still a PB and all good training.

Stalked AR, hope he's happy with his time, I would be.

Some decent long runs going on, making me feel guilty. Well, just a little. 9 miles for me (for the week image)

I was going to go running this weekend but it just didn't happen and since it's hammering down outside I'm not going anywhere apart from the fridge to crack open another beer.

I've enjoyed the two weeks of sloth, gluttony and extended celebrations but enough's enough. Pre carb load I weighed in at 10st 10lb and tonight the scales are tipping at 11st 7lb!

Back on it tomorrow.

• Nice outing there TR.

• Looking forward to the report from AR.

Great running from TR and not too shabby from Abbers either.

Sunny but chilly XC race for me this morning  - not sure whether it was the fact that the race came at the end of a big week (48 miles) for me, but I found it difficult to generate any speed.

The only thing that kept me pushing on during the second lap was the worrying sight of younger Lorenzito (doing the 2 lap race for the first time) hot on my heels so family bragging rights were at stake. Fortunately I held him off to come in as 6th (and final) scorer for the club, but I might have to retire while I'm at the top!!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Super time TR, very impressed. Good progression for you too Abbers.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Well Done Lorenzo, keep him in his place.

• Hi from NY

I've limited internet access at the moment so apologies for being a bit me-centric. Today has been a bit crazy; I have a 'short' race/event report to follow. The brief summary is that the day began with a stressful trip to the start (details to follow), just got to my start in time, and then took on some pretty bad headwinds for about 2/3rds of the race. Battled to stay on pace to get a sub 2:50, but missed by about 4 seconds. Overall well pleased based on the weather conditions and a really testing NY course, and even more impressed that I paced myself a little more maturely than has been my form to date. This dog learnt a new trickimage

As I say, will read back, but sounds like OO is in great form.

• NY Trip

Thursday

Arrived in NY on Thursday and went straight to the Expo. Plenty of security checks and into the Expo. Expo looked slightly shabby compared to VLM, but they were all selling hard. No decent running shoe bargains so left empty footed. A sheepish Ryan Hall was earning his race fee signing autographs and explaining that no he wouldn't be racing NY due to injury - bless.

Friday

Plenty of the large race fee was burnt in the way of an opening ceremony and fireworks in central park. And it was a good show too. During the day I took carb loading to new extremes by going on a 'pizza tour', tracing the development of the new york pizza, whilst dissing the Chicago style pizza. Much pizza consumed in the name of history.

Saturday

Day spent shopping, and then in the evening the complimentary Marathon Meal (Pasta Party). Boy was that event full on. Pick up a plate, and you received woops of applause, get a knife and fork woop woop etc etc eat some pasta (you rock, thats good eating there, woop woop). Returned to the sanity of the hotel.

Sunday

Plan: meet at 5:30am, walk to get bus at 6:00, arrive at Staten Island within an hour to go through new security checks, grab the free breakfast, check in bag no later than 8:10, enter Coral Staging area, and then move onto start line at 9:00 for a 9:40 start.

What can go wrong? Out of the hundreds of buses, I am on the one where the driver has no clue where he is going. Most on the bus find this hilarious as they are starting at 10:40 or 11:10 and are enjoying the warmth of the bus

At 7:50 I'm still on the bus, we are heading down a one way road the wrong way, and then attempting 3 point turns in a bus. Thankfully one of the other runners takes the initiative to direct the driver in thanks to her phone. We can still make this. By 8:20 we are in sight of the entrance but crawling. I'm begging for the driver to let me off, but he is not allowed. I'm no longer Hong Kong Phooey the mild mannered janitor. "You mean you are allowed to go down one way roads" (mild), followed by less mild jesticulations.

Once off I sprint to the security baggage check line and begged my way to the front, got through there and was relieved that my bag was accepted at the checkin area. Next it is a dash into my Corral (= starting Pen for us Brits) before it closes. Now I focus on what I haven't done that I should have had 2 hours to do - my nemesis the Portaloo. Waited for the loo as there are a few in the Corral area, and dashed in and out (Robin Hood Marathon was good training), just in time as all the corrals were released to move onto the start line. So at this point I'm at the back of approx 500.

Moving onto the start line I was quite far back, so had 30 mins to worm my way forward, and to calm down. I got as far forward as possible using the polite Brit approach. After that a marathon should be easy?

• The Race

I had a couple of aims; try and sneak in a sub 2:50 to finish off the year, and try to better pace myself. For this I had bought a NY specific pace band that took in all the undulations, bridges etc. and was configurable based on how you wanted to run the race (pace v effort, negative split bias, down hill pacing etc)

Race begins and getting to the start line you are stepping over mounds of discarded bags, clothes, drinks bottles. It's a mini assault course to keep you sharp.

5k: First mile is a tough start climbing up the Verrazano Bridge. I'm under instruction to stay patient, looking for 6:50 but it is really tight for space and there are still a lot of slower runners to fight past. Mile 2 goes down the bridge and onto the flat Mile 3 where the crowds start. (5k 19:47 6:22)

10k: Now in clear space you can really feel the wind, and from here on, any plans to use the pace band are gone. Forget the watch and I work to effort without monitoring pace other than to see how the splits come out. The wind had been predicted the day before so no surprise; just adapt to the conditions. Drafting wasn't doing much to help. (10k 19:44 6:22 m/m)

15k: Other than the wind battering, little to note, other than a lot of runners are passing me. I'm on my plan, and I'm not far off what I originally planned, so stick with running to effort. I start to get the occasional "go Gromitt" and "nice vest" which lifts the spirits. (15k 20:05 6:24m/m)

20k: I'm drifting in my thoughts and thinking how sparsely populated the crowd is in the suburbs compared to VLM. There is a growing need to pee - not another toilet ruined race? Then I realise a pack of Cliff Shot Bloks has been banging into my bladder for 12 miles. Quickly jettison of the Bloks, and all is well. (20:09 6:25m/m)

13.1M 1:24:12 Only slightly behind the planned split of the pace band. Some tough bits to come had just over 1min positive split Planned on the pace band.

25k: Probably the toughest part for me which takes in two bridges as you cross into Manhattan for the first time. The bitchin Queensboro Bridge was well bitchin. Not as steep as the Verrazano bridge, and providing temporary relief from the wind, it is still a bitchin bridge. No crowd in this lower level of this bitchin bridge. (20:44 6:29m/m bitchin bridge)

30k: Onward into the wind up a well supported 1st Avenue. One of the best supported sections, and a good smattering of Wallace and Gromitt fans by the sound of it (20:03 6:28m/m). 

35k: Into the Bronx, and back out (as fast as you can) over 2 smaller non bitchin bridges. The good news now is that the wind is behind you. My right hamstring is really starting to tighten, however I'm now passing loads of runners and vow to dig in. Plenty of guys are pulling up with cramp; some doubts about the DS Trainers come to mind, but other the the usual right hamstring problems, things still feel good. My mind is back on that sub 2:50 - I know it is going to be very tight after eying up the undulations of finishing mile earlier in the week. (20:43 6:30m/m)

40k: Along 5th Avenue, surprisingly little atmosphere here. Tired legs and a bit of a climb, but I'm still pulling in a lot of runners Who get the full Wallace and Gromitt "Keep Up Lad" slogan on the back of the vest.  I'm focused on getting to mile 25, and then do what I can to get back on pace. ( 20:16 6:30 m/m)

On to the finish in similar pace, and I try and give it everything over the last 800m but time just ticks over 2:50. Mrs AR sees me from the Grandstand seating area, and gets a wave while she gets the photographic evidence that the Wallace & Grommit vest was worn. I can't be unhappy with 2:50:04. I paced it well for a change, and just over 2 mins slower than my PB is a good result on NY's course. So Job done.

• A quick read back

BB - that is one monster training mileage - it made for impressive reading. I've managed one or two weeks like that but struggle to keep it going.

I think moof may have got a pb in October. I can't be sure image

That is one big wava that you have got there OO. Great running

Great 10 miler TR. You are putting in some strong shorter distance times. No wonder that some of the local clubs are trying to sign you up. Abbers, sounds like you had a tough day. Sometimes it just doesn't happen, but there is a pb for you to improve on next year. I'd like the opportunity to do 10milers. I have one local one, others seem a bit far to travel to.

• Magnificent stuff AR. Your usual stressful buildup followed by a cracking result. Queensboro bridge is the Rubicon, the end of the easy bit, and the death of the dream for many. NY is undoubtedly slower than flat courses like VLM so it looks like your real form is well down into the 2.40's. Job very well done.

Solid and more than solid running by TR, Lorenzo, Abbers and no doubt more.

In other news, I've trained 3 days in a row for the first time in a month, hurrah, even if only slow treadie 10ks

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done AR and brilliant report! Did you get any breakfast? Sounds like all that pizza set you up well.  

TR/Abbers - nice times yesterday. 

Lorenzo - nice win. 

moof - nice weight gain! Lol

• Excellent result and well-paced, AR.  Enjoy celebrating!

Abbers: well run - as you say, sub 7s is a good pace.

• Nice run there AR. I watched the start and looked for the vest but couldn't see it but then I was expecting you to be at the front of pen 1 (let's keep this nice and English) and not at the back of it. Guess the local 10 miler is Maidenhead but in 2014 VLM (and I assume we will all be calling it VLM even though the branding is now VMLM) is 13th April and Maidenhead 10 is Easter Friday, just 5 days later on the 18th. Not many will do the double but with you I am not sureimage

• OO - congrats on the PB and podium parkrun finish - that's a phenomenal performance!
    SB - do stick around - we're all at different levels, with different abilities and from different age categories.
    Speedy - nice pacing at parkrun and a muddy XC race.
    GM - good hilly running.
    Minni - I'll be here till at least 31st May too.
    Mennania - welcome back.
    Ant - good 14 miler there.
    PMJ - sounds like a lovely couple of hours running there.
    Abbers - good effort and still nice to get a PB.
    TR - excellent sub 60.
    Moof - that'll be 11lbs of muscle, of courseimage
    Lorenzo - nothing like a bit of family rivalry!
    AR - fantastic result - real shame about those 4 seconds, but given the near disaster bus-trip and the far from ideal conditions, that's easily worth sub 2:50 less a couple of minutes. And really encouraging news on the pacing which should give you lots of confidence for the next time. Well done.
    8 easy miles for me this morning, plus 6 short incline sprints.