Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Ah the good ol youth training schemes. Sporty badger you must have left school 1983/84. ??25 a week seemed a better deal than further education.

A few miles on my bike today (without stabilizers) as left calf is still a bit stiff, I may test it out tomorrow.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    ??27.50 and an expenses fiddle on the travel costs taking me to ??35.25. Luckily I was in a college in Covent Garden for a year and not deployed as a slave in the workplace. Another year later my New Romantic mullet hit the barber's floor and I was assimilated into corporate Britain.

Are you a YTS veteran moof?

SB
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Yes I am SB, still carry the scars of Maggies slave labour.. I wasn't going to mention the expense fiddle in case big brother is watching but it did pay for an extra couple of packs of B&H.

I feel better now I've got that out in the open and I'm sure Joolska will be able to sort us out if the inland revenue comes knocking.
  • Options

6.2 for me tonight, for once I decided to do a proper w/u with the 1st two miles at 8:20mm and then 3 miles at 7:15mm with final 1.2 at 8:30. Crikey it was force 7 out there tonight but enjoyed that run. Trying to mix up the runs a bit more to see what that produces. Aiming for 40 miles this week, that equates to a big week by my standards. Toying with the idea of doing half next Sunday. It's a hilly course and will make a late call depending on the conditions. Don't feel I'm near PB shape but next one is next June which is a bit long to wait....

• Options

Great to hear from you again MM - you're obviously just starting marathon training again as you wouldn't be on here againimage

Brilliant sub 3 PB from salf in Amsterdam. Knew about it on FB, but didn't like to break thread etiquette on here. Now her training schedule would be interesting to see, as I believe she didn't do any stuctured LSR's as we know them, but a lot of fell running instead!

Interesting debate again about LR pace. I'm finding it hard at the moment to get the right side of 8 minute miling. After a couple of weeks, tonight was the first 5 miler all over 8mm pace rather than just a coupleimage I think you are right Gul, it does take a bit of practice. In the next few weeks I want to build my LSR back up to 16 - 18, but all over 8mm pace.

BA (Hons) in graphic design and still doing it! Thanks for the kind words of support on my digital portraits. Just finished another one yesterday of my father in law, which I am pleased with http://creativetonicuk.tumblr.com/

• Options

Abbers - I try and stick to the roads in town with pavements and lighting. well done on getting out.
    Poacher - you're turning into a bit of a treadie-addict!
    BOTF - good exercises.
    SJ - hope you'll see the back of that injury soon.
    MM - some good targets.
    GM - June's not that far awayimage
    KR - good progress!
    After being reprimanded by Poacher, I was out at 3:45 this morning. Mainly because I was doing my long run today instead of Saturday. So 17 very slow miles (c. MP+20%). Must dash to get to the bathroom before everyone else wakes up!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

For a moment there, I thought you said you got up at 3.45am to go running?

Now THAT'S dedication! Good work.

SB

• Options

Gul - you had a gap of was it three years between your half marathons? So I suppose to you June is not far away, but to me it is. Anything could happen between now and then. Running 17 miles at 3:45am is bonkers! How many hours sleep do you get? You gonna have a little nap now?image

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

6 hilly miles at lunchtime, really didn't fancy it...al all! Huffed and puffed it out with a mate, Just ran on feel, didn't look att the time until the finish and we seem to have avergaed 7.36 pace.

Happy with that as my legs felt mashed after Tuesday's tempo and spinning sessions.

Really didn't want to go but it's true what they say, you never regret going for a run but you do regret binning one..

SB

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ah Gul you beat me well and truely this morning.  I had a lie in. image (eh? Christmas already???)

Maths and Phychology for me and then moved into business.   But I'd really like to be a full time, sponsored athlete...... image

• Options

5k lunch run in the puddles along the promenade with a female colleague of mine churned out 6:56 avg mm pace. Felt fairly comfortable at that pace so pleased with that effort.

SB - I believe the best time to go for a run is when you least want to, for me they are often the most satisfying. Good 6 mile hilly run. I'm impressed you manage to squeeze in a 6 miler on lunch break? Presuming that is when you say lunchtime you mean your lunch hour?

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

The company are quite good. There's some give and take, I get in around 8.20 and leave around 5.50, so if I have a slightly longer lunch break they don't mind. Today I left my desk at 12.05 and sat back down after my shower at 13.15. I love the reaction of the coughing office smokers when I do a 5 miler, they can't believe I can get changed, run that distance, have a shower and return to my desk in under one hour. image Smug bar steward! image

SB

• Options

Saw this:

...  is a member of a mostly invisible and underappreciated group known as the sub-elites. They have more than respectable times — the men finishing in the 2:20 to 2:35 range, the women in the 2:50 to 3:05 range — but have no chance to win the biggest marathons and receive little attention and even less financial reward.

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Slokey Joe, I have one of those also, fat lot of good it did me mind!

• Options

PMJ - I saw that spiel in the NY marathon program. They were given their own start line  so unfortunately the elites had to mix it with the also-rans.

Better still they had a very short walk to baggage collection. Maybe that is enough to interest Jools.

Arrived back this morning at 7:30, and back at my desk by 9:30 image. Welcome back work; how I missed you.

• Options

Ha!  Sub-elite.  That tickles me pink image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Minni/Jools/A N Other Runner - I want to do this: http://hutrunhut.com/home/ but to do so might need one of these:http://www.hypoxico.com/# and the cost of the trip plus airfare.  But it does look really good and definitely a once in a lifetime running trip! image

• Options

A thread member is #1 on MT podium this week, can you guess which one?

• Options

Well it's not me.

I managed a glorious MT training run on Monday in the setting sunshine. All the golden leaves of autumn, the soft squishy paths of a woodland, and the stonking 1:4 ups and downs that make the Cotswold Way. All in all a gorgeous 8 or 9 miles, and I really was disappointed when I had to finish.

Tuesday was a nip around the old hamster wheel rat run. For the first time in ages it was done with attitude. I mean ATTITUDE. 6.6 miles at just over 7m/m average. I ached the next day.

Since then I've been sat down making my arse spread. I don't see much chance over the next couple of days either. I need sleep.

Glad to hear that there's some nice chatter and banter flying about. It was getting boring.
    Plans for next year anyone? I need to start plotting some A class races.

• Options

GM - I still managed 6 hours sleep - caught up a bit this morningimage Now go smash that HM! Good sign that sub 7 felt comfortable.
    SB - nice hilly run. Consistency is the key!
    Minni - we can but dream...
    PMJ - yes, spotted that on MT too. Quite a star in our midst.
    Blisters - given the choice, I know which of your two sessions I'd go for.
    10 steady this morning, running blind / to feel. Should be somewhere between MP and easy, but definitely more MP than anything else, which surprised me a bit after yesterday. Rest day tomorrow.

• Options

MsE - looks an interesting one. Jenn Shelton was one of the main protagonists in Born to Run wasn't she?

Gul - 3.45am start?! Bonkers.

I'm putting Blisters' name forward as the next Poet Laureate - sounds like a gorgeous evening run.

5 miles easy through the woods this morning on the back of 8.5 yesterday. Getting a bit worried about the absence of speed in my legs at the moment with the half 9 days away. Was running to feel yesterday but the middle block of 6 miles came out at 7:0x average rather than being around the desired 6:45-6:50 pace. Not encouraging. 

XC league match tomorrow so will make a call as to whether it's even worth heading down to Gosport the following weekend. image

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

When I grow up, I want to have desired pace at 6.45-6.50. image

Maybe those legs were still recovering from the 8.5m the day before? It's good going and with race prep, you'll fly!

SB

• Options

XC for me on Sunday, first of the season. We host the event and it falls on Remembrance Sunday so the bugle call at the War Memorial over the river marks the start of two minutes silence and then 5.75 miles of fields more than real cross country. Feels odd as the league starts late, other leagues have their second race on Saturday and we won't start till Sunday and even then it still doesn't feel like XC until the next race in 2 weeks' time which is up and down a tank testing ground so lots of mud.

I've done the course twice, once at 6 m/m (12th overall) and once at 6:30 (injured last year, 50th overall) so would hope to mange somewhere closer to the 6 pace.

• Options

A week of lurking...

AR - Well done on a brilliant race and a great report - I too enjoyed tracking your race and was blown away by your pacing.

Only took maths as far as O level (Grade C), but got 6 others, 3 mediocre A levels and then after four years working for a living I went and did, and subsequently got, a BA Hons in French and Spanish - back in the days when a degree was actually something to be proud of...

I'm stepping up the mileage a bit, and did 9 yesterday with the last four @ 6:45mm pace. 5 easy this morning.

I see slow is the new fast so I will make a conscious effort to do tomorrow's planned 15-miler at - what, 8:00mm?

• Options

A fairly gentle 5 miles for me last night, although I did push on for a couple of miles in the middle. No idea of pace though as my Garmin was flat (took it off the charger but forgot to actually turn it off).

Not sure what running I'll manage this weekend, if anything at all. parkrun ED-ing in the morning, then collecting the tea urns for Sunday's XC and sorting out the paperwork for it. Then out early Sunday for the XC itself, charging around telling people what to do, then maybe some photos of the finishers (will PMJ be our first vet scorer?). Then return the tea urns and do the results, by which time I'll be knackered and ready for a relaxed weekend. Oops.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Welcome to the sub-elites, Joolsimage

Some good training going on, and sounds like a few with parkruns or XC lined up for the weekend, so good luck to all those racing.

Right mixed bunch on here in terms of educational background; one of the joys of sporting endeavours of any kind is that they're (mostly) completely inclusive. I've come across all sorts during my cricket, rugby and running careers to date, and long may it continue.

11 easy miles for me yesterday morning, got out in daylight for my weekly long(ish) run for a change rather than early at the weekend thanks to a day off and the little ones being in school/pre-school. Lovely morning for it. Amazing how many white vans are cruising round the lanes of the New Forest at 10am! Rest day today. Time to make flapjack.

• Options
    Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

(will PMJ be our first vet scorer?).

I am certainly not the fastest vet so I get conflicting interests: if all the fast vets turn out I don't score for the team but the team does better. There must be some psychoanalysis in there and id, ego and super-ego come into it but I leave that to others. I have two daughters studying physcology and it is all about emotions and feelings: can't deal with that. I understand the daughter who studies sports science and my son who is into computers.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I'm impressed that Blisters has found some attitude and is looking for some A races.

Lorenzo - whats the worry re Gosport, the good thing about a race is even if you run a bit slower than you hoped then you get a marker and motivation to get training. Gosport is flat and has a deep field so there's plenty of folks to chase down. I'll be lucky to make the top 50.