Sub 3h15

Comments

• First chance of a sit-down all morning! I had the M.O.T. at 7.30 (well, the car did - and passedimage), then did 9 easy miles on tired legs (7:45mm), then went up to the Dept. of Traffic to sort out my new driving licence, which had expired. This will be my first Spanish one - last time I told a small untruth to the DVLC about my country of residence. Then shopping and then making lunch.

Luckily I have a day off work today, because tomorrow afternoon is my 8.4kms race, then my works' Christmas dinner, and then Sunday night an attempt at a long-ish run with half @ PMP.

Mother-in-law, sister-in-law and 2-y-o-niece are comning round after lunch? Right, that's my siesta b***ered.

Welcome TBR - which marathon are you doing, and what does your training look like at the moment?  

• Given her pb times Doppy should be capable of a 3hr mara with the right training .

A 15 miler for me this morn at 8:25 average pace , really struggled from mile 12 onwards though , had to cut back my long run after the mara to add more intervals to try to find a bit more pace and it shows. image

• It's hard getting out this time of year to do all that speedwork as I don't run with a club.

That's the pace i was running my last 12 miler and I felt really tired afterwards!

I'm blaming the cold!

• It got a lot easier last time as I got more very long runs in Big Rich ,I found the more I did the more I could do , its just now I wonder how I ever got to 26 miles at all.

• I'm down for a few already. First one is Lochaber in April.

Should really have been looking to starting a shedule but had a dodgy knee a few weeks ago and been resting it!

was on the treadmill to try the knee out last night and it looks good to go.

I'm looking to get a good run at training this year and give 3:15 a real go!

been doing a few 5ks and 10ks to keep me ticking over and got a P.B's of 20:04 & 41:39. so think I'm ready to start serious training.

Gonna try some swimming and biking this year as to build a better level of fitness.

What about you THATI? Your training seems to be going well! good pace anyway! 

• TR wrote (see)

sub3 for a lady is equivalent to 2:45 for a man, tough but not unachievable. However, thats a tough achievement for a V45 or F45. I dont do rankings but go see how many V45s run 2:45 for a man and sub3 for a lady. Its also worth pointing out that its harder to get to that level as you get older than it is to remain there as you age. Cheerful Dave is still well under 2:45 as a V45, but he was there already. 

The answer is that 6 V45 ladies went sub-3 this year, but not a single V50 achieved it, and in fact only 6 V50 women have ever achieved it in the UK, so Doppy really is right at the sharp end. Her PBs would have ranked her top 3 for most distances, and to be honest I'd regard her as an elite level runner, so maybe that's why she got rejected.

34 V45 men and 4 V50s went sub 2:45 this year, but no-one older achieved it

• Ha Ha, I know that feeling. I for some reason this year thought it would be a good idea to do 3 marathons in 2 weeks! I think my poor legs were hating me by the end of the third!

I will ease into training this year and try and keep my weekly milage rising by 10% each week.

looking forward to when those long runs are easy again! image 

• Into the second week of VLM training and yes, seems to be going o.k

.I seem to be in better shape than last year and hope to make that clear in tomorrow's race. It's one of the biggest of the year round here (1,281 entered), and since they changed the course I've done it twice: 32:15 in 2010 and 34:13 last year. Hopefully I'll be somewhere between the two tomorrow - sub-33 mins would be nice for a 8.4 kms race.

Anyone else racing this w/e?

• Good luck tomorrowimage

Stick to that pace in the first 7k and if you have anything left push the last mile. You might surprise yourself.

thats a massive local race! We had a local 10k and only 125 turned up!

Bigger fields always make you run faster. More guys in your cat to race against... smaller fields I always feel like I'm running on my own! image

• I don't know if any of you are reading the Forum 6 Pitching Thread but there's a V50 female runner (doppy) with PBs (that I think she's achieved this year):

5k- 18.20
    10k- 38.26
    10 mile- 62.52
    Half marathon- 1.21.52

And she want's a sub 3 marathon.  She was a bootcamp reject. If she doesn't get through I think she should start her own thread anyway - I'd love to know more about her running.

All the above times are indeed very impressive for FV50 - the one that stands out is the HM time. From 5k to 10mile, her speed per km slows as would be expected - but the HM time indicates faster speed than 10 m and very close to 10k speed. Which would indicate excellent endurance at speed - and I agree, surely nailed on for Sub-3 marathon.

• Ant - You are going well of late and have started to pack in some decent miles so I expect that you will run well tomorow, sounds like a popular race. Strange distance hey. What are the conditions looking like?? Busy w/end for you.

TBR - Welcome!

No running to report here!image

• Here Here! She can run (very) fast and can Keep it going! Sub 3 very achievableimage

Thanks GM.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good stuff Ant; go well tomorrow.

7 more ticked off for me at lunch.

• TBR - 125 for a 10k race here in Jersey would be a huge turnout. I often race local races where there are only 20 runners or so, sometimes even less.image

Abbers -  Another long lunch run. Nice.image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Thanks GM; last 4 weeks have all been 35-40, but not many miles quicker than 8mm, so getting miles in the legs (relatively speaking) without pushing too hard. 16 week plan for VLM starts Monday, so just an easy 10 or so over the weekend to go before the serious work begins.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Half of just under 1:22 indicates a nailed on sub-3 (obviously with the requisite training).
    There's always been split opinion re racing 20 milers - suits some (I often raced one about 4 or 5 weeks out), but I recognise not all would do so. I wouldn't do it now, as the older legs wouldn't recover quickly enough, I feel.
    In which vein it's time to nail my colours to the mast, as I am in week one of Manc mara campaign. Wasn't sure about this, as I'm slowing down and did wonder if it was time to retire from the 26.2 distance. However, I decided to put my ar*e in gear and at least have a bash. I've not entered the thing yet; am going to give myself a month or so to see how my legs cope, then we'll see. My goal is sub 3:30 which is V60 GFA for VLM 2015, when I will be in that categoryimage.  Logically, I should be OK, despite the physical & non-physical troubles of recent years, for these reasons
    a) 2 years ago (Sept 2011) got 3:20 at Nottm in the gales. I would have slowed in two years in normal circumstances, but by 10 mins? Probably not.
    b) Have looked at two prediction calculators, each suggest that 3:29 mara predicts 21:50 ish for 5K. My first parkrun for a couple of years was 22:04 (after 9 mile warmup), so maybe I'm not as far away as I thought.
    The big caveat of course, is will my legs stand up to 16 weeks of mara training?  
    Let's find out !!  
    Apologies for a bit of a self-centred post, but by stating the intention to my real-life & virtual running comrades, it adds a motivating factor to the armoury.
    (first 20 of the campaign done this morn, so have inadvertently done 60m in the 7 days from last Sat to today) - didn't feel too bad - wearing Skins tights now in the spirit of paying more attention to recovery etc (don't know if the science holds, but even if a placebo, can't harm)

Cheers all, some excellent training going on; keep riding the roller-coaster  . . . 

• Just planning parkrun here although the weather may affect it.  I just want to do better than last weeks performance which was pretty below standard at 22:xx

The treadmill session I did with 5miles at 6% is still heavy in the legs along with deadlifts and squats.  Excuses alreadyimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nice one Birch.

I've got a killer HM session tomorrow, which I've got to nail.  Must keep off the wine tonight....

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

x-post - not really excuses, Bike It - you've been doing some heavy duty x-training recently, and 6% incline on the 'mill is no easy session  . . . . .

• BOTF: we werealso training in Windsor last night, although we run in opposite direction to the Dashers - down to Old Windsor. WS&E juniors were doing some reps on the grass/mud by the Long Walk.  Did you enjoy the lakes in the middle of the roads?

• Nice one Birch, we will metaphorically cheer you round. Manc sounds flat and fast too.

Welcome TBR

Doppy's PBs are eerily similar to mine but a fraction slower, although as a lady she's a much more talented runner than me. Sub 3 must be very doable.

Good luck Ant
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Have a great back to back Poacher! Hope the weather is kind to you.

• Thanks, although if tomorrow is hard and injury feels imminent I would scratch Sunday. Bigger fish to fry in 2014

BTW I think Coastal run entries open Jan 18th- ish
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes, its noted.

Do you need me to sort you out again? image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good luck Ant!

Ditched my track session as I was feeling real low today. Don't know why. maybe the Monday 6 miles of hills, Tuesday steady10 miles and big piss-up on Wednesday made for a tired body?

So, went for a recovery run with a colleague who ran the Pisa marathon on Sunday. he got a PB of 3.25.07. Superb result off of just 14 weeks training (no base fitness and a holiday beer belly) and doing just 3 runs per week. I trained with him but not on the LSRs. We put emphasis on hills and intervals/tempo runs. It seems to work and I can see the benefits in some of my training right now.

Anyway, we were cruising along at around 7.35 pace on an out and back route chatting away and got to the turnaround point. I felt a tad better and belted off further up the road on a fartlek style burst and said I'd catch him up. The extra bit was a quarter mile and I misjudged my pace and distance. I finally caught him up after 3 sub-7 miles at the end of the 5.5 mile run having basically turned an easy run into a tempo and averged 7.02 pace for the whole thing!

Felt shattered at the end but feel better for having done it now.image

SB

• Bike it- I hate 5k's although I seem to be getting better each time I do one these days!image

Have found out they are a lot harder if you go out quick! I did one a few weeks ago and did the first mile in 6 mins only to crash n burn. A lesson learnt went out 2 weeks later and eased myself into it and slowly increased the pace as I went. I ran a minute faster the second time!

Enjoy it anyway!

GM- I'll remember that next time when I'm running in that vast field! I guess it's a lot better than 20! although not sure I would have liked to have been in the 16 that did the inaugral ironman back in 1979.image

Hark- Thanks mate. you can certainly shift! Gonna read a lot more into this thread and try get some valuable tips to get my times down a bit!

Birch- good luck with the training! your certainly on trackimage

SB- ouch! I'd be hurting after that run! remember me never to go on a recovery run with you image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Birch - all the best with it, great to see, consistency is key.

BOTF - top research, so only 6 made sub3 and I wonder how many of those werent already there ? The lady in question posted up that she runs 5 times a week with a long run, 10-12, speed work and 2 steady 6milers, with a total of 5x 20 milers. So thats only 5 weeks at a max of ~50mpw (assuming she isnt doing 20M of speed work in that session) which means that sub3 for a F45 is a big ask, just as it would be for a V45 off similar training. So if she was to run more often (6 or 7 times), run more long runs and tag a couple of miles on the 6's, she'd be in with a better chance. Plenty of folks have run low 8Xs for a 1/2 and never run sub3. Folks on that thread telling her she is a shoe in, wont really help her.

• TR wrote (see)

BOTF - top research, so only 6 made sub3 and I wonder how many of those werent already there ?

I bit of Po10 work done for you mate - of those 6, 4 were PBs but only 1 hadn't gone sub 3 before and was running her first marathon (on Po10 at any rate).  She'd been running sub 40 10km since 2005 though, so not a new runner.  The oldest of those 6 just turned 47.  Sub 3 at 50 would be a significant achievement, good luck to her.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CD - more good research. Sounds like a tough mentoring gig then.

• SB - Nice going - having people to train with is always an incentive to push a bit harder. I would love to have a partner for reps, for instance.

Birch - Best of luck in your marathon journey - with you all the way!