Sub 3h15

Comments

• Poacher - you're a legend! Hats off all round to you sir. My first thought was that it seemed like a good idea and worth giving a go; then I read the report and thought how I normally feel the day after a marathon and sanity returned.

Gul - have a great Xmas as well. It's been an excellent year for you on the running front and I'm sure that 2014 will be even better.

My ankle was still a bit tender yesterday but managed 6.5 miles on 3 stretches of commute followed by an hour of badminton so not all bad.

Fun and games this morning on my 15 miler. I suspected that there might be a bit of water on the roads and a few trees down, but I wasn't expecting an obstacle course scrambling over fallen tress blocking the whole of the road followed by a 25m long stretch of waist deep water with no way around it!

All part of the joy of running image

/members/images/226395/Gallery/IMG_0875.jpg

/members/images/226395/Gallery/IMG_0876.jpg

• wow! all I can say!image a bit of water????image

• I was going to mention the puddle that I had to step around on the way to the Gym, but I won't steal Orenzo's limelight!  That's hardcore running.

Sheltered indoors this morning with a 12 x 400 with 400 recoveries. The reps averaged 5:36pace and the recoveries 7:29pace . Overall 11 miles @ 6:46

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good pics Lorenzo; looks pretty similar across the Forest this morning, although I'm surprised there aren't more trees down. Planning on getting out early on Boxing Day, so may survey a bit more of the local damage then.

That's a decent session AR; and solid miles from Gul too.

4 slow with some gentle strides prescribed for today, so will get that dealt with at lunch before (hopefully) heading home a bit early.

• Poacher – That’s brilliant and inspiring running and an excellent report. Thanks for the advice on back to backs and I should find it useful when I start my 100k training in the New Year.

Great training runs from plenty of others in this great weather.

For the first time I’ve decided to run the full distance from my house to work and back again today. It’s over 12 miles each way and this morning’s run into gale force winds was great fun. I had to carry my hat after a while as it blew off (first time ever) and had me chasing it down the road at full sprint to catch it! At least my run home will have the wind at my back. image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great stuff, Poacher - wonderfully understated, too !  
    BOTF - fwiw, I think the mojo will return when it's ready - maybe best not to force it, enjoy a bit of downtime in the holiday period & see how you feel then? Time was when I couldn't imagine it being worthwhile putting all the necessary effort into a campaign once I couldn't go sub-3 anymore, but here I am now having a sub 3:30 goal - but in line with Poacher's words, a lot of satisfaction can be gained by putting a sound campaign together and executing the best race you can on the day.  Best of luck, anyway.  
    That's some double, Badbark - puts my 4 miles each way in the shade !  
    Hope the 11 miler went well, Doppy, and that everyone's Christmas is as you would wish. 

Merry Christmas to all 

• Lorenzo - Eek, that looks fairly full-on. Good to see you didn't bat an eyelid and just got on with the job.

Badbark - Don't worry, the wind will have turned round by the time you leave for homeimage.

AR - Nice reps - you definitely showed that treadie who's boss.

11.25 miles for me on tired legs. 18ºC and howling winds when I started and then the rain came down...and down and down...All in all, I can't say I enjoyed myself much out there today.

I am now in possession of a 9lb turkey - are sure you don't want pics of me slathering it in butter before stuffing it?

• Nice pics orenzo, did you swim the water obstacle  image

Badbark-Good day to start running to work ,image

800s last week so tried 3x (1 mile) this week , was aiming for 6:30 pace with 400m recovery but got 6:29/6:39,6:37 struggling with the pace after coming of nights plus a bit windy too.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Poacher you ARE a legend!  Enjoyed the reports.

Agree with Birch, BOTF your mojo will return probably when you're least expecting it so until then keep plugging away.  You need to be ready for it when it comes!

The Holly Ant the Ivy wrote (see)

I am now in possession of a 9lb turkey - are sure you don't want pics of me slathering it in butter before stuffing it?

So long as its not a picture of you in the bath with it!

I'm cooking for 10 tomorrow and delivering Christmas presents today but thankfully got my sesh of the week nailed earlier (frankly I couldn't enjoy Christmas if I hadn't got it done).  3 miles w/u then 2 x 1.5 miles @ 10k pace (6:34; 6:40 for the windy one) plus 1 x 800m not much faster @ 6:27.   I've never done 1.50m reps that fast so mega pleased.  Dare I say the first one even felt comfortable but the second was harder mainly because of the wind and a couple of floods to go through, not like Lorenzo's flood though!

4 Christmas miles tomorrow and a 12 planned for Boxing day.

Merry Christmas Runners. You are all awesome! image

• Merry Christmas to everyone. Some great running going on here by y'all. Slack this end maybe the New Year will be better.

Poacher - You're a tough NUT! That's great Comrades training!!

• Of course we do Ant, we've come to expect such things!

I am so pleased I ran this morning in the gale with gusts that nearly blew me into a dry stone wall, repeatedly, as now it's also snowing horizontally at great speed.

• Impressive stuff from AR - is that your own treadmill or one at a gym? If the latter, I would imagine that you would have had the gym staff looking anxiously on to see if the machine survived at that pace

Good reps also from Minni - are you planning on getting some 5/10Ks in between now and VLM?

Cooking for 12 tomorrow. Bread sauce and stuffing already made, timetable for tomorrow already drawn up, and fortunately there'll be time first thing for the whole of the Lorenzo clan to head out for a few running miles in the morning before the oven goes on - Mrs L is in charge of the route. image

• The Holly Ant the Ivy wrote (see)

I was up early before the rest of the house this morning so I can use the kitchen table unhindered to swap the bones of the turkey for a couple of pounds of stuffing. It is a bit of a palaver but when it is all done and it comes to carving it is way easier.

• Minnie- good effort from you! I'm down for the same kind of punishment! 3 x 2miles at 6:18 pace! not sure if im going to manage! will give it a shot though!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Well done Ant, Leslie, Minni & Speedy, Adding snow into the mix just for good measure! image

Sounds like a great way to spend Christmas morning Lorenzo; I hope do be able to do something similar one day in the future, but not for a few years yet!

The plan said 4 easy miles with a few gentle strides, so that's exactly what I did. Won't be online much over Christmas/Boxing Day, so Happy Christmas one and all. I'll be back in work on Friday though, so will catch up then. 

• Tri Big Rich wrote (see)

I'm down for the same kind of punishment! 3 x 2miles at 6:18 pace! not sure if im going to manage! will give it a shot though!

Tri big rich - is that 6 miles above your 5k pace, going by an earlier post is a bit too much , you want to stick close to 10k pace for that distance so all the times are close , if they slow a lot for the last one the pace is too high.image Maybe your 5k was a while ago though ?

• Hope everyone has a great break. I'm heading ooop North now

Orenzo - the Noel version wrote (see)

Impressive stuff from AR - is that your own treadmill or one at a gym? If the latter, I would imagine that you would have had the gym staff looking anxiously on to see if the machine survived at that pace

Not content with this mornings mission climbing over fallen trees, and wading through water, you will next be cooking for 12. Braver man than me.

Re Treadmill, none at home, and Santa says no. It is probably a good thing or I'd next get outdoors and join the rest of society image

• Actually my turkey weighs 12lbs - before I'd done the runner's conversion, i.e. x 1.609, kms to miles!! I'll see what I can do photo-wise. Mrs. Ant is out all day so maybe I can get some lewd montage on the go...

I've already made the cranberry sauce, in a minute I'll do the apple & mincemeat pie before preparing the chestnut and sausagemeat stuffing and the pigs in blankets. There'll only be 5 of us but I always think the more leftovers, the better within reason.

PMJ - I doff my cap to you - that is definitely the way to go with a turkey - I just CNBA, sadly.

I felt really tired this morning so I don't know whether to keep tomorrow's run to an easy 5-miler or do the scheduled 13-miler. There will be plenty of time for the latter once the bird goes in, as no-one will be requiring my presence till the lunch is served (b***ards). The obvious option is to leave the longer run til Thursday, but I intend to have a few beers, wines and cavas tomorrow and 13 miles with a hangover could be gruesome...

• I did my 11 this morning, and feared tomorrows 6 was under threat due to having to do the family duties. I snuck in an extra 6 at lunch time today which I will play as my joker if I don't get the trainers on tomorrow. I know it doesn't work that way but it put my mind in some kind of order!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas to one and all.

I'm in charge of cooking Christmas diner tomorrow, wish me luck.

Ant- you seem to know what you're doing. How long do you put the turkey in the microwave for? It weighs about 12lb and has no feathers if that's any help.
  • Is it still breathing?

Orenzo why don't you find a mara the day before or after Stockholm and surprise MrsL by signing both of you up for a 2in2? She would be thrilled!

6m gentle trot tonight, feet still a bit battered but rest of the body feels better

Happy Christmas to all! have a good day tomorrow
  • well I did the 3 x 2 miles at 6:25m/m then did an insanity cardio workout! WoW!

knackered and deserving of the mulled wine I'm now enjoying!

Merry Xmas all, Hope you all have a good one.image

• Moof - microwave? 3.5 hours in the oven at 200 degrees should do the trick.

Poacher - er, no!

• Moof - For your family's sake, I sincerely hope you're jokingimage.

Actually, the only thing you don't want to happen to the turkey is for it to dry out, so smear it all overr with butter first, then cover the breast and legs (of the turkey, man, of the turkey) with bacon rashers before enveloping the whole shebang in an alumiminium foil parcel/tent. Give it a blast at 230ºC for 40 mins and then turn the oven down to 170ºC and let it do its thing for about 4 hours more. Take off the aluminium foil and bacon at least an hour before it's done so it browns (baste the thing occasionally) and then take it out of the oven a good 45-60 mins before serving. Well-covered, it will keep hot for ages. This will give you the chance to get your roast veggies done.

Good luck!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

• Leslie- Yeah did the reps same pace as my best 5k. Need to go out and beat that 5k time.
  • TBR - Great reps, enjoy that mulled wine!

Moof - I should have mentioned before that when you uncover the turkey, turn the oven up to 200ºC.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    VEG! .....Shit!!!
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Cheers Ant, after years of going around the mother in laws for Christmas day, I've got a bit fed up of 'sucking broccoli through a straw'! Overcooked green veg are so not my thing. So I put my money where my mouth is and volunteered to be chef for the day.

I'm not too bad in the kitchen but have never been put in charge of the big bird before so those instruction will come in handy.

And if it all goes tits up, I can blame you.;)
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Cranberry sauce - shit! 

You guys are funny. I'm almost there and have drink a bottle of white in the process. Quick visit to the parents now, then wrap children's presents, lay my running kit out for the morning and I'm done! image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    PRESENTS!...double shit!!!