Sub 3h15

Comments

• The 6 min mile reps are a toughy, but like anything you get used to doing them. I guess over a period of a few weeks they will get more bearable. As the old saying goes, the tough sessions you dread are the ones that will yield results. Have faith.
  • 10 miles tonight for me after 3 days of child/new kitten care. Plan was to run 7:30 pace and finished in 74:58 so spot on. Longest run for a while but it felt ok.

Rich - Good luck with those reps. I am 5'9 & weigh in at 12st7 approx 80kg. Race weight would ideally below 12 but struggling with that aspect at the mo. I'm crap at long distance (anything over 5k!) but have a pb of 18:46 for 5k but would struggle to bang out four at 6:00.

BOFT - Where in Tenerife are you going? I used to live out there. I'm heading out in Feb for 10 days, can't wait!

Minni - You're right about pace, last marathon I did I was cruising up to 18 and on for around 3:15 but fell apart in the last 10k. Bet you could do 800m in 3:00 though!

• Good luck with the reps R262! As mentioned above, KR is a bit nippier than you and should be breaking 3 hrs at his next outing so I'd err on the side of caution for yours were you, but you never know if you don't give it a good whirl. Trick is to not be too disappointed if you can't maintain that pace. By the way, I've just knocked out another Insanity session with lots of plyo work on the back of a 90 min brick session. I love holidays. 

Happy birthday to BOTF!!! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Rich 26point2 wrote (see)

yeah the program states that the 2 mile reps are ran at 6:30 and the mile reps at 6:00.

also the 3 x 2 miles have 3 min rest periods, the 4 x 1 mile have 2 min rest periods and the 7 x 800m at 3:00 have 1 min recoveries.

It is pretty hard going I thought!

As an occasional lurker, I can't sit by and watch you RUIN yourself Rich!

Re-read the session.

Tue 9M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1M (or 6 mins) fast,

Note the incredibly key word "OR"

It's 4x1mile fast, or 4x6mins. Do not try and combine the 2, you will die!

Look at the paces involved.

This thread, is 3.15 aspirational for a marathon.

3.15 is 7.26 pace.

That would make 6min miling your 1500 pace.

trying to do 1mile at 1500 pace would be outrageous pain.

trying to do 4x1mile at 1500 pace, will make you collapse.

Enjoy the session of 4x1mile, but not at 6min miling pace! image

• Ah, that's a relief and restores my faith in whoever wrote that plan. Presumably it's one or the other in case someone doesn't have GPS or a track and can only measure time not distance, and the time/distance equivalence is just approximate.

• KR- I have a 15 miler this Sunday so I'll try and make the last 6 marathon pace!

Thanks for all the comments, Slo, Minnie, Lit and Gerard  that's left me a lot to think about! 

I'll try them at 6:30, 6:15 and 2 at 6 and see if I can finish!

• I just had a look back over my sessions from earlier this year, and I was running 3 x 1.75 mile reps at 6.05 pace. However, the year I ran 3.14.59 I was running the same reps 30 seconds slower and mile reps were around 6.15 pace. 

Double run for me today, plus a weights class in the gym. Tomorrow is enforced 'rest' as I'm driving back home and will have lots of unpacking and tidying to do when I get there.

• BOTF - As Moof says, Happy b-day!!image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps, let me edit the 1mile at 1500 pace from "outrageous pain" to "hard enough". I got overly excited.

the rest stands though image

• Did you really run 3:14:59, Speedy? That's amazing.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

well spotted SG, 6mm sounded fast. I'd do the 6min reps and take the pace stress out of it. Not really sure about 4 x 1M as a marathon session, but I guess the schedule adds more in later on. If it gets to 8 or 10 (off 30sec rest) then its my kind of session.

• TR- if it gets to 8 or 10 then I'll be writing these comments from a hospital bed! image

• Yes Lit, I really did. I might run 2.59.59 this year.

I start off at 4 x 1M and build up to 6 x 1M, or 2 x 1.75M and build to 3 reps. 800s are more difficult as the club session is max of 6 reps. I can add a couple more myself but any more and I'm just fighting my way through hoards of folks warming down, or worse, I'm left on my own on an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere while everyone else has buggered off home.

• Glad that 6m/mile milling error has been sorted out , was thinking I was going to slow image

BOTF.happy birthday image

6 miles easy tonight bringing it to 2853 miles this year and thats it as its a rest day tomorrow image

• I think the key is to get the 4 x mile reps done and not stress about the actual pace as that will improve over time. Is 4 not enough for you TRimage
  • SG - I'm sure given a good campaign you have a good shot at it. Chap I know who is a decent runner i.e. a 1:20 half, did 3:00:01 this year.image That's gotta be tough to take after enduring 26.2 miles at that pace.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not quite sure I get your meaning there Gerard? Are you saying someone who has had a decent campaign could do 4x1mile at 6min pace despite looking for sub 3.15 for a marathon?

Or are you saying I'd personally have a shot at either? image

• You know, I think if you worked really hard, SG, you might just manage it.

• I know the feeling GM, the year I ran 3.14.59 I'd run a 40.06 10k and a 90.08 HM. 

• Stevie G - Hah, No, I meant Speedy G has a good shot at a sub 3 for her marathon if she has a good campaign i.e. injury free et al.

• CC2 - AKA Speedy G - That's tough but marathons don't come round as often and as we all know they hurt a alot more in every way. I am sh1t at anything over 8k, pb for 10k stands at 40:20.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

whoops, apologies old son.

I'm back off to a land where I'm the only SG image

Best of luck to all....Rich...be careful with that session tomorrow...

• Stevie G - Hehe, no worries, I am not yet 40.image I am gonna try them 6mm reps soonest. I am training for a 10k and not a mara so better be close to 6 or I'll get my coat.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

KR - no 4 isnt enough, I dont run every day so need more volume (I did 14x0.5M the other week, and will try to get 20 done in a month or so).  Although if i ran them quicker........

in 2010 I ran 2:55:52, my Timex fridge magnet reads teh same time both ways up !

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Leslie H - That's very decent mileage you've knocked out for the year.

Thinking of running a marathon Stevie G? (I occasionally lurk over on your thread)

12 miles on the bike for me at lunch, very wet and windy but it made a nice change to do a little bit of exercise. Calf still tight though.

No more running for me this year, so here are my stats.

2257 miles running,

1618 miles riding,

3 PB's

Mara- 2.58.47

HM- 1.20.47

Parkrun- 18.01

Quite pleased with that lot, more running miles than last year, athough it has tapered off a fair bit since Abingdon with only a hundred miles in the last month due to a week off with back ache and now this calf strain.

BotF - happy birthday, GM must be getting me mixed up.
  • TR wrote (see)

in 2010 I ran 2:55:52, my Timex fridge magnet reads teh same time both ways up !

I love numbers like that. I once photographed the the time/date on my car clock at 9.02 just because it was 21.02 2012. It's the same at work to get the best job number on our job sheet!

• Gerard - Puerta de la Cruz. No idea what to expect, never been to Spain before, but I got the flights through staff travel for peanuts - one advantage of working for an airline. We tried to pick somewhere a little less 'Brits on the piss', then I Google Streetmapped our apartment and discovered a British fish & chip shop right across the road.

Rich26 - I'd usually say that cramp like that means not enough long runs, but looking at that schedule it seems very reasonable in terms of long runs, so perhaps a couple of bags of ready salted crisps in the days before the race might help image

• What's the world coming too. Stevie G pops into marathon land to dish out some decent advice.  If I was dreaming , he'd have announced his debut image.

3 x1M  @ 5-10k,  and 2 x 3M @ threshold will be my 'hardest' quicker sessions this time around. Maybe 4 x1M if my weekly mileage permits it.

knight rider wrote (see)
    AR, I thought you were in the 70+ week camp? 

Not me KR - typically I've been running 40 - 55 with a fair bit of cross training on top. Occasionally I got carried away and did one or two weeks in the 70s / 80s or higher but soon realised it wasn't for me - there is only so much time I can stand my own company

knight rider wrote (see)

What time are you gunning for?

The plan and target have been set 'externally'. The plan has been based around a 2:43 time. Yes, I realise that it is not 1st April!  I'm well motivated to run to the method set, and will just see what happens with the time. 

What are you looking for this time around. 

• AR, I think you are in the same camp as Martin H then, with a lower weekly mileage but well under sub 3 time! I think he was peeking around the low 50's when he did his 2.48 the other year. Just shows that with a bit of talent… I'm sure Fraser was the same with the lower mileage, but I could be wrong. I do believe that with more mara training/campaigns under the belt we get to know what does and does't work for us. Only problem is when we want to improve…. what next?

Got my eye on a sub 3, but I'm not trying to get hung up on a specific pace till nearer the time and see how the training goes. Sometimes I think that can be a mental block in itself? Last time I did a negative split, but wonder if in doing so I could of got a better time. However, my last two PB's have come from this approach, so I can't knock that approach.

• 2013 scores on the doors:

1800.1m - never achieved the quantity/quality of last year, and it showed

Only 1 PB (5k)

7 maras, 2 ultras

Year of treading water slightly redeemed in the last week with wins in v v small no-profile events (club Grand Prix, and even a mara)

Going into 2014 needing to up the game with months of more consistent miles

Happy new year to all, thanks for your wit over the last 12 months, and for the occasional pearl of wisdom which slips past the censors. May the running gods smile on you.