Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Birch  ..epic timing image

Jools and cc2 ...good-luck with getting the new vests.

Happy new year all , new pb's all round I hope so get those miles in and make it happen, talk is cheap .image

• Options

Happy New Year everyone. Hope you all had a good one.

Apologies about not being around for the last 6 months but missed 3 of them with a knee injury and spent the summer cycling.  Then got caught up in work and never got back online again.

Some really high mileage and impressive stats from you all for last year.

Now back running and have just completed 213 miles in December (longest month of the whole year), nearly all slower than 7:30m/m.  Around 1340 miles for the year with 1000 miles of cycling as well. Finally feeling reasonably fit again and currently seeing a bio-mechanic to try and sort out why I am having knee issues and to prevent them as I crank up the pace over the next couple of months.

Still planning on using my GFA place at VLM and with some hard work and some good luck I hope to be in sub-3 shape again come April.

• Options

Happy new year one and all - I thank you all for the sound advice dished out through the year and look forward to more in the coming year.

No run today but managed 9 with 5 at or around LT (6.06mm) yesterday which was faster than it needed to be.

some fantastic stats being shared. Mine look like this:

1679 miles for year with 3 months out with abdomen injury

Pbs

• 5k     17.29
    • 10k    37.03
    • Half   1.22.29
    • Full    2.59.35

Was going really well and had pb'd at every race until injury

Next years goals are to pb at every distance again but get under 80 for the half and stay injury free for once.

• Options

8 miles today in 66mins still feeling fast (cough cough) last k at marathon paceimage

good start to the year I guess!image

• Options

Looks like a great year Menn!

Welcome back Martin, glad to hear that you are well recovered and raring to go.

1hr45 on the spinning bike whilst watching the footy. This is the year for multi- tasking!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year.

Yes there were a few there from your club at the Morpeth 11km Minnie but a strong field dominated by Morpeth men. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - goals 1 and 2 are ok, the rest you can keep.

Birch - more miles than I expected, the key now is to keep it going !

Menn - you had a decent yr PB wise. I'm not sure I could have done that 5 in the 9 at that pace.

Looks like teh running legs soon remember how it goes, I backed up y'days 13 with 13 more this morning, copped a roght old weather beating too, it became a squelchy shoe run I was so wet.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Menannia - great stats. I imagine your're proudest of the sub 3 but that 5K is a bit tasty as well.

I managed 4 miles today, calf felt ok but still a little delicate so I kept it nice and easy.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Jools and Speedy - I hope January sees you both returning to fitness.  tbh this weather isn't helping.  Last year it was snow and ice and this its rain and wind.  I don't know which is worse.

Martin - great to see you back.  You've been knocking some good training out of late and bet you're still the fastest fairy in town. image

OO - come on spill the beans!  I see you had a good outing today?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Chris Bayliss 5 wrote (see)
    Hi new to the thread
    Minnie: cant help but notice that your 10k pb seems a little soft compared to your Brilliant Half pb, how did you train to get that half time?
    I ask as my 10k pb isnt a million miles from yours 43.38 but my half is a paltry 1:39.46,am looking for a much quicker half time in 2014.

Hi Chris.  The truth is I get better the further I go.  I don't know why, its just the way I am.  I had to bust a gut to get my 10k down to that whereas I find the longer distances much easier.  I seem to find it hard to run at a fast pace for a long period of time but find it easy to run just a bit slower for much longer.  In fact I've just looked at my 10k split in the 1:31 half and it was 43:02 so just 11s slower.  image

I tend to find I PB when marathon training because the long runs really seem to suit me and boost my fitness.  I find a HM much more comfortable when I'm used to doing 18-20 miles weekly. 

I guess you need to look at your training and see where you can change it.  Do speedwork faster, do your weekly lsr longer and slower to build up endurance etc.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes 1st V50 at today's Morpeth 11k. The home club put out a strong team and took most of the mens prizes. Pleased with a time of  41:01 which is not bad on this undulating course. Haven't woked out my stats for 2013 but overall it was a poor year for me, well below par for the 1st 9 months then improving and coming back since the GNR. I can't really explain the ups and downs but nice to finish well and start 2014 with a prize. Junior OO also set a pb today knocking 1 minute off time at the 10k point.

• Options

Minni - out of interest, have you thought about doing some more speedwork? I'm like you in that I find it much less enjoyable than distance work, but I've also found it to be very beneficial in bringing down marathon and half times as well as 5K and 10K.

Awful weather down here - pretty much incessant rain with the exception of the time I looked out of the window and decided to run the 10 miles to the start of the parkrun to do some marshalling while the rest of the family ran.

Suffice to say it got worse and worse and the race itself was cold and wet - fortunately it didn't stop younger Lorenzito PB'ing and he's now closing in on my PB and has said he wants to beat it by the end of 2014.

Anyway, can't complain about getting in a midweek 10 miler at 7:10 pace.

• Options

OO - x-post. Big congrats to you and junior OO. 

• Options

OO- nice win image

Got a 7.5 miler in with 2x10 sec steep hill sprints at full effort , These were recommended in the go faster from 5k to marathon book as an injury preventer so I thought they were worth a try .

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good to see Martin back ! 
    Nice one OO - equates to sub-38 10k, and 1st age-group always acceptable. . . 
    TR - yes, squelchy shoe run here too - nicely soaked by the end of my 11 miles - and you're right of course - I need to keep the consistency going, but I need more than the 30mpw average of 2013 over the next 3 months . . . . .

• Options
    Thanks Minni for your advice.
  • Options

Nice running OO - that is rapid. Congrats to the junior contingent too.

Moof - the sub 3 was  the driver and the rest just fell of the back of training for that  am hoping pushing for a sub 80 half will deliver similar results,

TR - it was particularly unpleasant and my HR was bouncing along the upper end of the range. Will look to run the next one a tad slower I think.. Nice back to back MLRs there.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Birch - indeed, I looked back ay my approx 1800M for the year and wondered why its so low, but when I thought about it its ~150/month and through the Summer and Autumn I dont run long and only run 3 or 4 times a week, so ~150/month is about right.

Minni - you obviously have lots of untapped potential at shorter distances, you just need to run with abandon and learn to push yourself a bit into the unknown. Once the VLM campaign is over try some of the 30sec hard/30sec easy stuff and really turn your legs over. Then try a few short races and go out quicker than you think you should and hang on !  its good to find your limits sometimes, rather than within them.........and there's nothing comfortable about HM's.........I need to run with abandon for 26.2 so we all have things we could try to do better. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Menn - difficult to hit high paces in training on any given day though, so that was a great session, I'm not surprised it was tough. remember that you have a sub 80 aim so did 5M at approx HMP today, thats a tough tough session, I reckon I could do 4M max at HMP, you could be 80min fit already.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Leslie H, funny how running flat out up a short hill section can prevent injury? I would have thoight longer gentler hill reps would be better- certainly at my age image.

I think I'm about 1900 miles for the year, averaging 37 per week. I reckon I must have run over 35,000 over the last 25 years- no wonder my hips are suffering image.  

• Options

A grand total of 429 miles for me in 2013, of which only 35 were even vaguely competitive. Goal for 2014 is try to get back to somewhere near where I was in April 2012. A long hard road, but there are brief flashes of possibility. I'm 99.9% certain that the sub 3 will be beyond me for London as I'm too far behind, but a GFA should be possible perhaps. So I'm wondering whether to have a pop at an autumn marathon as well, something I've never done before as I'm not really a great fan of running in the heat, but maybe if I can train through it then I'll really reap the benefits in the autumn when things cool down. I've never really had an autumn where I've gone into it 100% as I'm usually building back up after a short-distance summer. Would be interesting to see what I could achieve by training right through for once.

• Options

00-50.. the hill reps are kept very short and only 2 at the start building to 5 over a few weeks so you adapt to the very high strain but for a very short time and get stronger but without wrecking yourself.That's the theory I hope it works but who knows , well I might soon image

• Options

Great placing OO for first old geeezar.

You had a great 2013 Menn, hope this year yields more PB's. are you doing Wrexham Half again? Not sure whether to do it again this year. Great pace on you 5 miles @6.06 pace

Nice back to back 13 milers TR, some might say that's a marathon distanceimage Like the advice to Minni about going out quicker than you think you should!

8.25 miles tonight in 7.19 av pace. Felt okay most of the way but the veg chilli I had this afternoon made it a bit uncomfortable.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

OO wrote "I reckon I must have run over 35,000 over the last 25 years- no wonder my hips are suffering
    26th Jan will see me reach 28 years of recorded running, total miles currently stands at 54,404. 
    My hips seem OK, it's the knees that creak somewhat !  

• Options

OO and Birch image. Monster miles

KR - Wrexham is defo on my hit list and probably my best bet for sub 80 this side of Paris as long as the weather plays ball, I have just got a place at Helsby half on 19th Jan to test out how close I am - will be chucking a bit more LT stuff in to the marathon plan for the next month or so but am looking forward to it, sort ofimage.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Welcome CB5; stick around.

And a thread winner already in 2014 image. Congrats OO.

Some sterling miles and paces being logged despite the horrendous conditions out there over the last couple of days. 6 easy for me yesterday, and couldn't have run quickly even if I had wanted to as the roads were more like rivers and new pot holes have appeared in the Forest lanes, making foot placement hazardous. The brief calm respite today is welcome.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Oh yes, and Happy New Year image

• Options

LH, I'm having a crack at the hill rep approach too. Although I started with 5 x 10s rather than the prescribed 2x8s just cos I'm a bit stupid. The Hudson book is quite an interesting read actually. I'll definitely be introducing more of his approach into my schedule.

• Options

Guys, just a quickie! In the schedule I'm doing, some of the weeks it says half marathon and 10k race? does that mean I have to go out and run hell for leather and try and get the best time I can? Is this not bad for your legs on a big mileage load?

I'm on for 7 steady today. Fine day for it!

• Options

Ant - sounds like a great Christmas dinner. You've also reminded me to catch up with MT.
    Lorenzo - bread sauce! I knew we'd forgotten something. Hope the ankle is ok now.
    BOTF - that's still 4 more mile reps than I've done in a long while!
    PMJ - Only a pound? That's really good. I usually only ever weigh myself at the in-laws and was alarmed yesterday to discover I had put on the best part of half a stone during lunch! Must be dodgy weighing scales.
    Some good running going on over Christmas, I see. I've been very lazy, but did get out for my weekly steady-state run - 11 miles @ 7:48 m/m.
    Poacher - get well soon.
    Getting very confused as to which pages I've still to read...
    Happy New Year everyone! 21 weeks and 2 days to go...