Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Leslie H wrote (see)

Around the week p&d calls for a long run with 10+ at mara pace I could fit in a half mara and its the week before another half mara I want to do so that might make it easier to get that tough run in while trying out a new half mara.

Not sure I have the self control though to keep a lid on the pace the first one though and I cant race 2 in 8 weeks as that wont end well image

The thing with P&D is that, as with all other plans, you don't have to follow it to the letter. If there is a half you want to do in week 12 and week 13 says 18 with 10@MP, then simply swap the long runs and run week 12's long run in week 13 and run the hard MP in week 12 as a Half plus padding.

I am running the 16 with 12@MP as a half (Wokingham) and I am running the 18 with 14@MP as a 20 miler (Finchley).

• Options

Happy birthday OO. Looking forward to another year of V50 successes image

• Options

AR - shouldn't take you long to shake off those extra pounds.
    Leslie - I'm sure the HMP will get easier.
    Rich - yes, that 10k session sounds really tough. No way I could do it unless I tapered - it would be a PB for me too. Sounds like you're in a similar situation to me with a dearth of local races.
    KR - yes, you know what they say about a change.
    PMJ - nice lunchtime run.
    Mennania - clocking up some good miles.
    Abbers - good run.
    AR - looking promising on the MP.
    SB - sounding confident.
    GM - hope you enjoyed the rest day.
    Ant - great start to the New Year - hoping you can stay injury free in 2014.
    Poacher - nice trophy - not such a catchy name for the marathon.
    Congrats to OO and Minni too.
    Martin - nice to hear from you and see you're still enjoying those progressive runs! Must do a few of those myself once base training is over.
    Happy birthday OO - same day as my sister.
    KR - nice fast finish.
    Lorenzo - I was reminded yesterday that you were reading Les Misérables last year and wondered how you got on with it?
    6 mega-slow miles @ 9:24 m/m d&d.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great way to round the year off, Ant - well done on the PB 
    OO - happy birthday, you whippersnapper !  
    Poacher said
    "Nice win OO, better put in some miles as you are a lightweight compared to Father Birch" - I'd swap a few of those miles to be running at your pace these days, OO !! Long may you continue . . . .
    Poacher's trophy well earned and deserves prominence - one of my goals for 2014 is to find a (very) small race and record a V60 victory to go with the V40 & V50 ones from my ever-distant past. 
    Speaking of age, we need all the help we can get, so last night I reached for my liquid viagara, but accidentally swigged from a bottle of Tipp-Ex. I woke up this morning with a huge correction  . . . . . . .

• Options

Happy birthday OO- name change? And Menn - if you're doing P&D day one of Jantastic is a rest day...

• Options

Birch -better make room in the trophy cabinet image

PMJ- cheers for advice , ideally id try to pb the first half (but its not really a pb course as its on the coast, has a huge hill and  is unsheltered so in march will likely be very windy) but its the second half I want to pb as ive ran the course before twice now which makes things trickier as the only way I could pb is by taking it easy on the first  as they are 7 days apart.

There are only about 6 road halfs over here shame these too are so close together and another half being just after my marathon so no good either.

• Options

Birch - Straight up?

Mennania - Get that cold sorted out - no shirking here, please.

13 miles this morning and amazing how much canchange in 24 hours. Much better sensations than yesterday. Foot still a bit sore but manageable...

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Happy birthday OO. And the Forest is the New Forest, as I live about 0.5 of a mile from the signpost for the National Park on the north west corner (about 7 miles south of Salisbury).

Birch - made me chuckle image

Martin & KR - quick miles there. Good stuff.

Rich - you got it done though, and it's only week 3. Enjoy your rest day today.

Gul - nothing wrong with slow miles!

Poacher - You can only beat those who enter. Well deserved bit of bling.

Ant - good session. Any idea what the problem is with the foot?

• Options

Abbers - I don't know but I suspect it must be either Plantar Fasciitis or a stress fracture. Although I suspect if it was a stress fracture I'd have real trouble running 13 miles on it, wouldn't I? But what else could it be?

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Happy birthday OO!

Leslie H wrote (see)

Birch -better make room in the trophy cabinet image

PMJ- cheers for advice , ideally id try to pb the first half (but its not really a pb course as its on the coast, has a huge hill and  is unsheltered so in march will likely be very windy) but its the second half I want to pb as ive ran the course before twice now which makes things trickier as the only way I could pb is by taking it easy on the first  as they are 7 days apart.

There are only about 6 road halfs over here shame these too are so close together and another half being just after my marathon so no good either.

Leslie –

As a fellow NI runner I believe you are talking about Larne and Omagh. The hill at Larne is tough but the rest of the course is great and I have managed a PB there for the last 4 years. I’ve never race at Omagh but looking at times from others it looks slightly faster than Larne despite always only being a week later.

You have the following HM or 10k races to consider in the run up to the Belfast Marathon (if that’s what you are running) –

01/03 – Carlingford HM

16/03 – DUNE HM

22/3 – Larne HM

29/3 – Omagh HM

6/4 – Belfast Decathlon  HM or 10k

20/4 – Titantic 10k

I’ll probably race them all and a 50k Ultra 2 days before Belfast.imageimageimage

• Options

Martin, I was thinking when doing my quicker miles, how the hell can anyone hold onto that for 26.2 miles!

Happy 51st OO image.

Gul, were those slow miles why you didn't post til 9am? I'm looking forward to some slow ones on Sunday.

Birch - funny punchline. Was it a wipe out?

13 miles on a Friday Ant, does that count as a mid week long run? Thanks for the team name, I was looking for just CCSTF (not with THE at the beginning!). All signed up. Do we log the miles on that Jantastic website?

• Options

BADBARK--yes larne and omagh halfs. Im running the wcm not belfast though so a month later .It  took me about 10 days to get over the last half (waterside) so maybe im doing it wrong but I did far too much quality in the 10 days leading up to it and left myself exhausted and I really had to thrash my legs the last 2 miles to get my time in it image 

"I’ll probably race them all and a 50k Ultra 2 days before Belfast.imageimageimage "

Brilliant imageI guess this is where big mileage starts to pay off image will have to see how my training goes first.image

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Quick question:

My stash of SIS gels went out of date in October. Has anyone consumed old gels? Will I get the trots while on a trot?

Cheers

SB

• Options

There is only one way to find out SB. Do it for science.

• Options

Happy birthday OO - I'm now 51 and 4 days image

• Options

BTW I've used gels well past their date and the only problem I've ever had was one batch where some had solidified so much they wouldn't squeeze out of the packet. And I think the multipack of Lucozade Sport I'm currently working on is dated 2012!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Don't do it! I once did that in a race and spent about 4 hours in motorway service station. image

• Options

SB - Yes, take them all in one go and see what happens. Probably not a great idea to post photographic evidence, thoughimage.

KR - According to P&D I had 14M yesterday and 11M today - I swapped them around as it was more convenient this week, domestic-politics-wise. In case any pedants are wondering, I only did 13M today because I'd raced on Tuesday night and what with this Christmas holiday lark etc.and so on....

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Ant - agreed, if it was a SF you'd be in a lot more trouble. Any chance of an official diagnosis?

SB - out of date gels. Better to risk them now than in a race!

Plan suggests rest today, 5 tomorrow, 13 on Sunday. Given the forecast and plans for 12th night merriment tomorrow, think I'll do the easy 5 tonight, take my rest day tomorrow, and do the 13 early doors Sunday. Plans are subject to change, clearly image

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    SB- if your're still eating turkey sandwiches then your stomach may be able to handle those gels, personally I'd give it a miss as there's not much worse in life than sh****g yourself.

Great win Poacher!

Happy birthday OO-51.

Nice to see you back on here Martin H.

6 steady miles today with 4 around the 7 min mark. Calf behaved itself.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

image Thanks for the "advice" everyone. I may try a half tonight and see if I get a reaction, in the name of science of course!

I'm sure we've all been caught out on a training run and had to go 'al fresco'? Or maybe that's just me? image Thankfully it happened was at night and near a wooded area. Just feel sorry for the squirrel! image

SB

• Options
    Ant a Happy New Year wrote (see)

SB - Yes, take them all in one go and see what happens. Probably not a great idea to post photographic evidence, thoughimage.

KR - According to P&D I had 14M yesterday and 11M today - I swapped them around as it was more convenient this week, domestic-politics-wise. In case any pedants are wondering, I only did 13M today because I'd raced on Tuesday night and what with this Christmas holiday lark etc.and so on....

Surely that is 14 on Wednesday and 11 today? You missed the 5 recovery yesterday (Thursday). I did my 14 today instead of Wednesday.

• Options

Ah, yes! I had the 5k race on Tuesday night with w/u and c/d for a total of 6.5M (having done 4.5 Monday night), so on Wednesday morning I did the 5m recovery, 11M yesterday and 13 today. 5M easy tomorrow and then we'll see on Sunday - it's supposed to be 18M, but I'm away for the w/e and so who knows.

SB - Once in the Bilbao Night Marathon I got into all sorts of stomach-related trouble and had to do a Paula Radcliffe job between two parked cars, having warned a group of teenage girls standing there to look away. Five minutes later,the same thing, minus the teenage girls and plus about 500 assorted onlookers. Let's just say I avoided handshakes at the finishimage.

• Options

I think I will parkrun tomorrow and pad it to maybe 11 or 12. Then I will have Sunday off before the "4 in 4" XC starts so next week (13 weeks to go P&D 55 to 70 18 weeks) looks like

Mon 18 (supposed to be with 10@MP but that will be canned)
    Tue 5 recovery
    Wed 14
    Thu 5 recovery
    Fri 12
    Sat off
    Sun XC posing as 9 miles lactate threshold with 5 at HMP.

63 miles total.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reminding us, Ant. We'd all forgotten about your dirty protest. Shame MM wasn't there with a spare hat.

BB - which ultras are you targetting?
  • Options

I might be doing D33 in March but treat it as a LSR and go slower than my slowest LR pace? It would be my last long run before my taper. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks for that nice image Ant. I once had to dash behind a bus shelter in France in a real emergency- fortunately no one was waiting image 

BotF, didn't realise we were so close in age.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Many happy returns!

Ant - Nice way to end 2013! Hope the foot is ok.

6.2 for me tonight in 7:25mm pace to bring this week's tally up to 30.2 so far, 3 tomorrow, then 14 Sunday for 47.2m for the week. Hadn't planned on doing so much but enjoying being out there running, inspite of atrocious conditions.

• Options

5 miles (42mins) easy for me tonight. 

was planned for tomorrow but busy tomorrow(swimming) so got it out the way tonight.

• Options

Happy birthday to OO and a belated one to BOTF - hope you gents celebrated accordingly.

Nice result there from Ant - great time on what sounds a tough course.

Gul - I'm still working my way through Les Mis, but have to take a break every so often. Sticking with the French theme at the moment with Kate Mosse's Citadel. OK, but not as good as Labyrinth or Sepulchre.

Worked from home today so decided to pop out for the weekend's long run a day early. Light rain turned into heavy rain about 2 minutes after leaving the house but the thought of going up Box Hill with sodden running gear proved to be too irresistible to think about turning back. Plenty of sploshing around on the flat sections as well, so happy enough with getting 16.5 miles in the bank.