Sub 3h15

Comments

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

TR - yes indeed, MK 1/2 is next, so a 6 week training block between now and then with mileage in the 50-55 range each week and long runs ramping up too, so some 20 milers into the endurance basket. I would like to think that sub-90 is now a mental issue not a physical one, so as per the discussion a couple of weeks back about pacing strategies, I'm thinking about going out a bit quicker than 90 minute pace, say 6:40 to 6:45, hold it to 10 miles and see what happens. I'd hope that, if training progression continues, I'll be closer to 1:28 than 1:30. Need to get through the next 6 weeks first though image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers - 6:40s would give 1:27 so that sounds reasonable. A couple of 20s will no doubt help the endurance, and you have been doing some fast stuff too.................just dawned on me that its my main build up race that day too at Salisbury.........6 weeks !!!!! blimey is that all.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Something comfortably under 90 would also give me the confidence that a 3:15 is a valid proposition at VLM. Would have liked to have run Salisbury if the dates had worked out and caught up face-to-face. Doubtless a lot of Southampton AC representation there; they were out in force yesterday at Romsey as a kind of memorial race for Todd Bennett, who was brought up in Romsey before running and coaching at Southampton for many years. Lots of individual runners, and 3 relay teams too, who ran as "Team Bennett" and had special dispensation from the organisers to enter. Think their number included Todd's daughter, so a fitting tribute.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Ah yes, I remember him well.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Quick skim back 

Gul - If that pace feels not too taxing I think you are going to run a FAST marathon!

Leslie - Impressive 10 miler!

Abbers - You can definitely run sub 90 for your half if fit . 1:27 would be awesome but then so would 1:29:59!

Re off road or road, road all day long! Beep beep!!

If anyone ever fancies a jaunt this year in Jersey here is the new fixture list link below

http://www.jerseyspartan.com/media/PDF's/Endurance%202014%20Jan14.pdf 

• I've just re-read my previous post, and apologise for a blatant lie. I hereby disappoint you and admit that I've not yet got around to a long run this year. Or a medium one. I'm carefully in the pre-base phase. 7 miles tonight, at 7:45 pace. HR behaving at 146. No signs of niggles. (Phew). I do need to put in more running days though.

Preparing for something like Bala should be fairly simple. Based upon my vast experience I have now learned to put EXTRA clothing in my first transition bag. That's it.

I've got 2 sprint tri's and a half iron planned for 2014, with half an eye cast on going long at the end of August. That one's local, yet brutal. I've got time to go and ride the course before deciding.

• Yes I think 13 at MP is about as much as I'd want to in training.

What's the course/profile like for the MK half Abbers? Does it take in some of the marathon route. Must be fairly flat? Sub 90 does sound within your grasp and as TR says the 20 should give you good endurance. There have been some on here that have done sub 3.15 without the sub 90 half, so don't let it dwell too much on your mind.

What's the TV channel selection like Poacher?

5 steady tonight at 7.51 pace. That's 2 recovery runs back to back tonight & last night (in the name of Jantastic).

• Lorenzo - sorry to hear about the ankle - hope it's nothing serious. My cut-back will be somewhere around 35 miles. Getting out of bed a bit later each day and Saturday is parkrun so that will be several hours later!
    SJ - hills and mud don't go well together!
    Mennania - great LSR.
    Leslie - nice LT run - good progress.
    Poacher - I admire your dedication.
    Blisters - nice race list building up.
    KR - good running for the team.
    4 recovery miles @ 9:05 m/m. Not sure if I'll get to log them this morning as I'm volunteering at an event for local schools today and through till next week.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Cough, cough,...sneeze, sneeze

Ill since Sunday so missed my planned LSR. No running yesterday or today either as I can't breath too well.

Please keep up the good running

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Get well soon BI. I've been fighting a head cold for over a week now. Have managed to keep it from going onto my chest but I'm getting fed up with it now. I also have a champion cold sore to go with it which appeared in the last couple of days. image

Went for a curry with some mates last night and had one pint of ale too many in the pub after. I have a hilly 7 miler planned for lunchtime today. The good news is that I've forgotten to bring my Garmin with me, so now I can run it at whatever speed I like and not feel the competitive urge to push harder. Sweat out the curry and beer and attack the hills will be the theme.

SB

• KR, I did the MK half a few years ago and the course looks to have changed a bit from when I did it but mostly the same:

http://www.nightterror.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/MK-Half-Map-2013-v1.pdf

It is a fast, downhill start for about 4 or 5 miles, then a fairly flat loop up to 11 miles and then an uphill haul at the end. The end part is up through Campbell Park and the Bucks cross country have been held there and there is also an upcoming XC league fixture there. I don't think it too nasty at the end but certainly something to beware of.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ - had a feeling you'd run MK before, so thanks for the elevation/profile info. Think that answers both KR and my questions about what might be in store; after all, I only need 23 more seconds for a sub-90! Sounds like it'll fit in with the current plan of getting out quickish, using the downhill to help, consistent miles to 11 and then dig in, hopefully with a bit in the bank. KR - 3:15 is the vague goal, but also concious that I've never run a mara before and don't want to be greedy at my first attempt. MK will (hopefully) help to convince me that it's a reasonable target.

Blisters - sounds like a busy year of multi-sporting for you. Where's the possible IM? Not sure what constitutes local for you...

Nice recovery running from KR and Gul, and recovery curry & beer for SB!

BI - look after yourself. Plenty of fluids, etc. etc. You know the drill!

Hill reps on the agenda for today.

• Get well soon Bike It, just don't cough when you post - it might be contagiousimage. Oh good, the smiley-winky things are back!

Lorenzo - How's that ankle? Have you had to go and see the Doc? I have very fond memories of "Brockers" as my brother lived round the corner from it. It's actually a really nice park with great views over London. Very good for running in, too with a goodly hill thrown in.

Gerard - Best to steer well clear of dogs and their owners - it can never really end well.

Mennania - Hardly a Death March at that pace! Nice going.

Leslie - Well done on a very good LT session - must be a real confidence booster.

Abbers - 1:27 looks as if it could be a more realistic target for you.

14.3 miles @ av 7:36mm for me this morning, all totally non-stop, as well. I had recovered well from Sunday's 21-miler, and felt comfortable all the way round today, especially psychologically. I ran in a sort of unofficial progression, starting at about 7:50mm and finishing at 7:00mm. I needed a good,solid run like that to top up my confidence a bit, and now I have two days of recovery runs before an LT blast on Friday.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I remember the MK half being an awfully dull race, with narrow paths and underpasses. Good luck Abbers.

• Fantastic progressive run Ant, both psychological and physical.

This guy, Galen Rupp's training is insane. After setting a USA record for 2 miles he does a full on training session after!? Check this out - mental.

• KR - Absolutely a different league and possibly a different species to me..

Ant - Superb effort and pace- I have a relatively easy week until sundays MP session

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Top bombing, Ant...nice work.

Just experienced 4 seasons in 20 minutes. Popped out for my hilly 7 miler with overcast skies and chill in the air. After about 15 minutes I'd experienced howling winds, horizontal rain, hail stones, thunder, lightning and bright sunshine! Madness!

Got some strange looks from drivers as I ran uphill trying to shield my face from the hailstones. They did sting a bit.

Still, 7 quality miles done and I cleared my chest a bit image

SB

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Well done Ant - strong running. Thanks for the vote of confidence too.

OO51 - to be honest, I don't usually pay more than a passing glance at my surroundings when racing; the narrow paths may bother me more if I get bottled up! There are a couple of different HMs in MK; this one, which is part of the MK Festival of Running, and another, separate event in the summer. Not sure how similar the courses are.

KR - ridiculous performance from Rupp. Salazar's been working his magic!

7.5 miles at lunch, including the prescribed 10 x hills. Legs feeling a little fatigued after that! My Garmin 110 has given up the ghost though. The strap has started to come away from the unit, and is letting moisture in; the screen is now fogged up and refusing to show any information whatsoever. Think a return to customer support might be in order.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

X-post...

Well done SB. Good to get your session finished in those conditions!

• There seems to be a HM at Milton Keynes every other week. They have now added one into the mix at the same time as the marathon (3 weeks after VLM). May consider that one as I have a free race entry token. I echo OO's comments though; those underpasses are tedious.

Oh dear BI, don't tell me man flu has reached Berkshire. Hope you get a quick recovery.

Ant, sounds like you had a confidence booster of a run - it is great when the day starts well

Also a good start to the week for me. 8.5 up and over Winter Hill yesterday was a run to bookmark due to some sun and views. Today was my intervals day, this week 3x1600 @5 k pace. A nice long warm up and cool down for 14M. Day off or optional short recovery run tomorrow before another Thursday MP session.

• I heard there was an issue with the underpases the other year with the marathon. Really bad rain had created massive puddles on the pathways & underpasses. Although to be fair it had been torrential rain.

Not trying to put you off Abbers!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

AR - sounds like a decent pair of sessions there. Just out of interest, what is your 5k pace? Your Winter Hill run reminds me to take my mini camera out on one of my long runs on a decent day to get the sunrise over the Forest. Keep meaning to, never have!

KR - image That's OK, I've been doing a tour of the flatest HM courses I can find in the south, and MK fits the bill! It's also an excuse for a weekend away at the in-laws who live near Northampton, so the Ms As get to see their grandparents, and I get to be looked after on my birthday & race weekend!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

I took a PB at the MK spring half a few years ago - sounds like it was the course PMJ remembers, superfast downhill start then flatter later with underpasses and annoyingly sharp turns

Q for BI, AR, any gym experts: I just did 5m @ 5% incline on the treadie, which seemed a good steady workout. Decided to do a gentle 1m w/d, so put it back to 1% (should feel pretty flat) but careered forward and the mile really did  feel as if it was downhill. Which it clearly wasn't. Is this just in the mind or is steep uphill followed immediately by flat actually a way of replicating downhill running on the treadie....by getting the legs used to plodding uphill then holding back on the flat?  If you see what I mean.

• Abbers I have no 5K times, so was given one by the Hanson guy who drew up the plan. He gave me 5:30 min/m as 5k and 5:40 as 10k.  (Both are hugely optomistic but doable in intervals)

Poacher - I know that feeling well and I usually end up clattering against the front. From a few bits of research that I have read there are some subtle differences in running gait on a treadmill compared to running on land. There is a natural tendancy to lean further forward, and possibly more with the incline set. I assume this distrorts your sense of balance. The sensation doesn't last that long for me, so I'm not sure I could incorporate it as a training effect. Maybe I will ask one of my stalkers next time I'm in the gym

Quite a few treadmills have declines up to 5 or 6 % now.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

The only thing in decline on this treadie is my running ability image  This afternoon's TV was American daytime soaps. Shocking.

Actually it does make sense that after 5m leaning uphill, it will feel weird when the incline is suddenly taken away

• Easy 15 today. Was supposed to be a 20 but I seem to have a bug so am backing off a bit and will do the 20 later in the week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

14 days of running now without a rest averaging 8.5 per day- the old bod is feeling it.

I think I'll stick at it this week then ease back a bit next week before the Buttermere round 21 miler on the 9th feb. That one is a killer but definately not boring...

• OO- hang in there your doing great!

PMJ- hope that bug get's better soon! I've had one since before xmas and it seems to be a little better this week!

7 tonight with 12x400m @ around the 90s mark, some higher by a few secs and some lower. overall a really hard session on a windy freezing night!

Onward and Upwards!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

7 for me too Rich, steady pace of 8:25 per mile

• 7 ish for me too, 7:46 m/m. Can I play?