Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice parkrun PMJ. Conditions here were perfect, wish I was running. But a young lad of 17 turned up and blew away the field in 16:4X. Junior OO was 4th lady with a new PB or 21:49, inspite of falling and grazing her knee. Your young Alnwick lass was a minute further back Minni.

Maybe I'll try lightweights for my calf Speedy- but certainly not high heels.

Great run Lorenzo, good pace for 22.

I ran a gentle 3 miler to the parkrun- might do 16 tomorrow but see how the calf goes.

• Options

Speedy - Fair enough.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

A new course PB sandwich filling? Nice PMJ.

Fab 22 miler Lorenzo and more importantly well done on hitting the Jantastic target.

PMJ thanks for confirming how amazing we are.  Everyone must be mega jealous.image

Not slacking at all Moof. image

BB - how do you make your energy drink and do you put vodka in?

Speedy - sounds like a weird niggle.  Hopefully it will soon pass.

OO - well done to junior.  Junior Alnwick was running the NEHL XC this afternoon so a double for her!

XC for me too this afternoon.  I love it.  Now start in the medium pack, which kind of fills me full of dread as have a 2 minute handicap. There are about 40 of us in that pack and about 10 in the fast pack who start 2 minutes after us.  I wasn't too bothered about the run - it was a beautiful day and this one is set within the grounds of Alnwick Castle (if anyone knows it) so a stunning location.  I wanted a strong run with no injuries!  Set off and felt like we caught the slow pack (which has about 200 runners) quite quickly so it was over taking from then on.  Firstly I passed a club mate who is 'young' and who I just couldn't keep up with last time and I thought she must be having a bad run.  However, I then continued to pass others who I would have expected to finish behind and eventually started thinking that maybe I was having a GOOD race!

I love these events.  Its a ladies only race so there is loads of support and noise from the men who run after us.  The atmosphere is great.

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to do 18 but I'd put 20 on my Jantastic target so 20 it will be. 

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, I decided to save a bit of cartilage for the autumn so dropped Stockholm. Bet you and Mrs L are starting to get excited though. It looks like a great location for a race.

Nice ultra traing BB! Your prep seems to be going very well. Which race are you doing again?

Well done on the XC Minni. Nice to hear about lots of mucky ladies with gangs of men watching. Sounds like it's up Poacher's alley too. How was the hip?

Enjoy the long runs tomorrow (those who haven't ready done one). It feels like the weather is changing - there was sunshine whilst cycling today although I did get sprayed by a grit lorry so maybe it will be chilly in the morning.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Minni, did Alwick a couple of years ago and it was enjoyable. Today's photos look fab.

• Options

45 miles on the bike this morning, relatively gentle, but not a total jolly, we kept a move on (except for  the coffee stop).

3x 3mile county road race relays this afternoon. Legs weren't mashed from the bike, but clearly it had taken its toll. The course had a couple of reasonable hills to keep us occupied, you went down one, round a cone then up it again, through the finish, down a hill and back up again.
    20:36 calculates as being 3 off 6:52 minute miles. That figure seems familiar.
    I was 60 or 90 seconds off the pace of my historical rivals. No surprises.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

That's a good effort Blisters. A very solid training day.  Is your overall training on track?

• Options

Mostly on the road and in the pool, matey...

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

16ish done and dusted with no watch, stopped when the calf got sore- it's sore now. 47 for the week. 

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Blisters -nice racing after a long cycle.

00-51 -hope the calf isn't too bad 

first day of the week and First 20 miler this year average 8:24/mile  for me this morn , was hard work but done now image

• Options

Nice run Minni, things are definitely looking good image

Feeling a bit better today, but I'm still going to give running a miss until I'm definitely right. Just over 135 miles for the month, which is one of my highest ever totals, despite missing the last 2 runs and cutting one in half which would have given me 160 and a 40mpw average. Pity I had to miss Reading, but got to think of the big picture. It does mean however that as it stands I have not a clue about what I can do at any kind of pace as I haven't run a proper race since Brighton 10k back in November, and I have nothing planned. I guess I might have to try and find something just to tell me if I'm on a hiding to nothing for London or not.

• Options

Rushcliffe 10k for me today. I was disappointed with 15 seconds slower than last year (which remains my PB), but it was windier today. Maybe windy enough to account for those 15 seconds, but not windy enough to suggest I could have done any real damage to that PB on a better day. Ah well. I won the race again, although I didn't exactly have any competition. The prize has gone down to £40 in vouchers. I feel robbedimage 

I have read elsewhere that Lit had a good day at Reading and I can't wait to read her report. 

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Apologies for going missing from the thread over the past few weeks.  Had a stressful time at work where we have had to make cost cutting decisions and lose staff (horrible).  Meant that although I have still been running I've not been logging onto computer in the evenings.

A lot of good training going on from my quick read back from the last few days.  Fingers crossed for those who are carrying injuries that they recover soon.

My extra miles seem to be paying dividends over the past couple of weeks.  Hit my highest mileage of 63.74 miles two weeks ago and cutback weeks have been minimum of 48 miles. Jan & Feb have been my longest two months ever.  Have been playing with a range of MP miles but still not sure what to target come VLM-day.

• Options

I had to cut short my run at 5 miles and go home, as my other (good) leg, which has been giving me gyp since Thursday, finally became so painful i couldn't attempt to run it off. It's on the outside of the knee, just at that nobbly bit right at the top of the calf, which I suspect will have someting to do with the IT band, as i can feel it all the way up to the hamstring, too.

This, coupled with the fact I've been struggling with my more chronically-knacked left knee, means I have seen sense and will take a few days ( a week?) off and see the physio a.s.a.p.

I'm trying not to overreact to this, but nobody can p`etend it's good news. What is for sure is that should I be able to come back from this, I will shift down to the P&D up to 55 miles plan, as I've clearly run myself into the ground here, with no obvious reward.

• Options

The good news Ant, is that ITB can be fixed. The bad news is that involves lots and lots and lots of really boring exercises. Clams and side leg lifts mostly. My fizz told me to do it until it hurts, keep going until it's agony then do a few more. You really feel it in your gluteus medius. A weakness there is the usual cause of ITB. Fizz also told me that running with it wouldn't actually make it any worse, so I just took painkiller and got on with it. That was in 2008. No issues since.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Ant - My knee problems were caused by ITB/glute issues.  I've been to a biomechanic bloke who has given me a lot of strengthening exercises, mainly focusing on hip flexors and glutes.  Mostly lunges, squats, stretches and foam rollering.  They have definately helped.

• Options

Thanks, Speedy and Martin - where can I find a series of these exercises that you would recommned, or will googling it do it easily enough?

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Speedy.  I don't think you should be disappointed with an untapered 38.52 during marathon training.

Big congrats to Lit (gleaned from other sources).

Solid day at Bath for me: 1.26.15 or thereabouts, so 6s/mile faster than the pace I managed at the Bramley 10M two weeks ago and felt much more comfortable.  Good to know I'm still getting stronger week by week.  Onwards and upwards to the Larne Half in 3 weeks' time!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done Lit!

Well done Speedy on the win!

Well done Jools on the solid run!

Well done Moof!

Boo to OO's calf and Ant's nobbly bit.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Well done Jools.

Ant - If you PM me your email address I'll send you the two series of exercises he sent me.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Not really the time I wanted today at Reading but in all honesty about the time I expected. I set off at sub 80 pace and paid the price for it later. At about mile 7 I could feel my legs start to get a little heavy and from then on my pace started to slow, I didn't seem to have the mental edge to push on today knowing that my ( unrealistic) target was fading fast.

The last 3 miles were a slog due to an ever increasing head wind.

Last year wearing a broken Garmin I pushed on from start to finish unsure of my time. I think there's a lesson to be learned.

Getting continually overtaken in the last few miles is never great but there you go. So scores on the doors 1.23.16.

Well done Joolska, great effort.

And well done to lit, we must have been running close for a fair bit.

At least I beat the great one over on team GB.

I'll have a proper read back later when I crack open a beer. image
  • Options

Brilliant racing from Blisters, Speedy, Jools and Moof - well done all. Apparently congrats are also in order for Lit.

Martin - PM

I'm still sulking and Mrs Ant has gone off to her sister's - I don't think I'm great company.

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

"Hello Jools" I shouted during Mile 1 at Bath - that was me, the miserable guy in the Wallace & Grommit vest.

I turned up to Bath not really in the mood for racing. Spent most of the Saturday adding to my weight that I'm excelling at at the moment. Today - hotel breakfast, back to bed, then jog a quarter of a mile to the start line for 10:50am

Took off without any real plan and kept things easy - too easy. Spent most of the race beating myself up as I didn't really feel like I was trying. I looked at theodd mile split . Surprised to come in at 1:21:02. Way off pb pace and too quick for a decent training run at marathon pace, so I'm not sure what I achieved apart from beating myself up. Race quickly followed up by a large meal and a restock of the in-car larder before home. Although I was in miserable git mode, I did like the Bath course compared to Reading, and the locals took to Wallace & Grommit. Maybe Bristol beckons next ..

Constant pace through the 13.1, yet heart rate fell slightly

303 miles for Feb @ 7:00

Great progress Jools, and sorry it wasn't your day moof. Great result Lit (am I supposed to write sub3 blah blah blah!)

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Hi all

nice cross-sports day, Blisters  . . 
    good victory, Speedy - how was the foot?
    pleased Martin back, but really sorry to hear of Ant's creaks & strains. Good vibes that a few days off makes things seem not as bad as you currently feel  . . .
    Fine half mara racing by Jools, Moof - I've been following that thread, Moof, so must get over there and check things out !  

First outing since Boston2012 dnf today (apart from the occasional parkrun) - Norton 9 (nr Doncaster) - long standing race which I first did in 1988 - exposed,hence windy, a bit undulating, with one long hill at 5 miles -
    I had a vague target of around 68 mins, which Wava predictor suggested could yield a 3:29 mara, which I need for VOGIT VLM 2015. * *   Finished with 66:30 official, so around 73% WAVA, and a predicted 3:27:30. Quite pleased, but a reminder after the hiatus of how hard racing is!  Also a reminder of the ravages of Anno Domini. as I recorded a 52:06 here in 1991 !  
    Anyway, good to be back, even though the "never again" voices popped up occasionally, but the alternative to doing this is not doing it, and that would be even worse . . . . . . 

**  - found out the V60 GFA for VLM is now 3:45, but in my head it's still 3:30 or bust !  

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

x-post - 
    AR - "Although I was in miserable git mode"  --   there's nowt wrong with that, AR ! image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

That's a great result, Birch, and brilliant to see you racing again.  Very nice age-grading image

AR: ah, it was you (or, seeing as I am one of those West Country types, arrr...).  Yes, Wallace & Gromit generally go down well in these parts, and will get even more of a cheer in their home city, so come and do Brizzle in September.  Gurt lush course.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Great day for the thread with excellent race performances from Lit, Speedy, Jools, Moof, AR and Birch ( hope I haven't missed anybody) image All looking good for a great spring!

Rest up OO and Ant and anyone else whose taking their turn in niggle land.

• Options

V60 Birch? But you only look about 40! 

Foot doesn't hurt when I run now, but twinges sometimes when I walk. I take that as an improvement and will clearly just have to run everywhere.

• Options

AR, that's an awesome time for someone who couldn't be bothered to actually try. So long as you have your head in the right place on VLM day you're going to fly.