Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice runs Lorenzo, JT, SB, PMJ, Martin and others

That geezer ain't big, it's just that Minni is, err, mini image 

56.5m this week but nothing over 14m. Struggling big time on the LRs.

VLM is not far off. Do we need a separate list?

• Options

Admittedly it did take a few seconds for me to realise who you were, being as you weren't purple.

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Great runs from Lorenzo and SB at Surrey, and a nice 20 miler from MH. Interesting pacing PMJ - I thought you were aiming at 6:30s?  

Congrats on the PB Leslie - a 1min pb during training must be welcoming.

I echo Ant's comments on Jantastic. Woke up in agony on Thursday night with an achilles problem that dogged me for years before taking up running. Well it is back, and my 1st thought was how will I do my last Jantastic run of the week. Slightly wrong priorities! I'll be treading a tightrope for the next 5 weeks. After frenzied heel droops, stretching and rollering I can run easy and will shuffle the schedule to delay/drop any quality.

• Options
    A hilly 18 miler today, including a 2k bimble around a junior parkrun with the kids. The hills took an early toll which wasn't helped by sore legs from DIY on Saturday. Quite a bit of it felt like a real plod, but the speed was OK. Regretted not having any gels in the cupboard.

Fleet HM next week; looking forward to stretching my legs a bit.
  • Options

I really don't have time to post properly I'm afraid. Sorry! Inter Counties went better than expected. I was hoping for top 200 and finished 134th! Then ran the Ashby 20 today with the last 10 @ MP, average pace of 6.44s on the Garmin. 84 miles for the week. 

Keep on keeping on, but don't break yourselves in the process!

• Options

Great stuff Speedy - sub 3 looks well on the cards. Just make sure that you're heeding your own advice!!!

Forgot to say congrats to Leslie for an impressive PB.

Minni - what happened to you earlier today?

Impressive progressive pacing there Martin - what's the new target at London?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

nice running there folks.

Impressive stuff there Lorenzo.

Looking very good for Martin H

CC2 - you are tuning up nicely too

PMJ - so did you ease down after 13, or faded due to the faster 13 ? You have been very diligent up to now, so I couldnt grasp from your report if you let your handbrake off unintentionally or deliberately ? I was expecting 20 at ~6:30ish.

• Options

TR, plan was evenish pace but it all felt OK so I let it run. I got three things out:

1) 20 at faster than MP so that is needed for my mental preparation
    2) A nice split at 13.1 which says 1:25 will be relaxed
    3) Confirmation that going out too fast will hurt, however easy it feels at the time.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - I like number 3, but I'm not sure about number 1. Although mental prep is important. 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Well  done racers!

Lorenzo - Looking positive from that result for your marathon.

SB - Well done and enjoy your well earned beersimage!

Leslie - Great 10k and pb.

Abbers-  Did you race today?

Speedy - Sounding great, how's the foot?

Gul - Congrats on the employment offer!

TR - Sounds like tough going for you, hopefully you can get a good three weeks training in and pb? Would you be happy with that what with your Jan/feb malaise.

Sorry if I missed other folk but it's been a bit manic this side since I got back.

12 Insignificant miles for me today at 7:56 pace. Lovely day but felt knackered from the outset what with working until midnight from home, that's my penance for taking 10 days off in the sun. Beautiful sunny day here and nice to see all and sundry out there on bikes, blades etc. 

I now feel relieved that I opted out of VLM as my head is not in the zone re distance running but have still unfinished business in that respect......

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    I haven't managed to post all week but as usual plenty of great training going on, too many to mention, I'll leave that to Gul and Abbers.

Firstly Badbark, get the first plane home. We need a little chat about priorities, sunning yourself in the pool indeed.

LeslieH, great run by you and well done on the pb, sub 40 is there for the taking when you're not running on tired marathon legs.

Nice effort from you too Sporty Badger, hope you enjoyed the beers.

Fast 20 from PMJ in typical style, glad to hear the 82 min half felt easy. Just goes to show what a decent, consistent Mara training programme can produce. Just hope you don't go off that quick on the 13th!

Excellent running from you Lorenzo, hitting a decent bit of form just at the right time.

Other great long run/ races going on from OO ( great pick, how can that giant be quicker over 20!) Minni and Martin.

Well that's not quite as comprehensive as Guls/ Abbers.

A consistent week of running for me with a very hilly 14 today.

I agree with Ant and AR, Jantastic is great for motivation and getting you out when you can't be arsed but it can push you too far when those niggles raiseh their ugly heads. I couldn't be a full time team player as there is too much pressure and I'm far too selfish.

And lastly well done England!!!!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Moof - Good to hear from you, you forget to mention Wigan and Ireland in the well done stakes.image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

GM - that made me laugh, I'm miles away from PB shape. ~340M since Jan 1st and 1/2 way through another week of no running and only 2 runs over 10M in the last 6 weeks. If I'm not running again by next weekend then the streak is broken and I move on with swim and bike for a while. I'd snap someones arm off for a 2:55 and streak continuity, but the chances are fading fast. Ideally I'm running again by next weekend and do 2 or 3 decent length runs for 3 weeks and then a 1 week taper.

• Options

Good news on the job Gul!

Some good running going on this weekend.

Nice 10k PB Leslie.

Good result in your half SB and the conditions sounded like a PB would have tough.
    And good result (and report) too Lorenzo with your 1.27.13

Fast 20 miler PMJ! - did you intend to go out that quick?

Like the 20 mile pace OO-51 and not far off your predicted 7min pace. How did that feel overall - could you have carried on another 6.2 miles?

Well run and paced 20 miler Martin - looking good.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

TR - I  can't recall what your pb is, but I remember 2:52:52 as it stuck in my head, please remind me. 2:55 would be great considering what's gone by in the past 2 months or so. Let's hope the next 3/4 weeks see a change in fortune for you re running and work life balance. One thing is for sure you've got the inner steel in you to do it.

• Options

Retford Half marathon today and got a chip time of 1.25.49. I feel a bit gutted as I thought a PB was on the cards today (1.25.26). Last year in mara training I did 1.25.42 so I feel like I haven't progressed from then.

The race was well organised and a new start/finish to previous years. On the whole the course is flat, but there are some long up hill drags. Start off well with a 6.15 first mile which felt easy, then the next 4 averaged just under 6.30 pace and I did 5 miles in 32.18. Didn't feel like it was a struggled and began to think a PB was close. Up till then I was on a 6.30 train, but I felt the pace was slipping as a group of 3 runners suddenly came on our shoulders. I latched onto then, but they pulled away slightly. A combination of this and a few long hills brought in a couple of 6.38's and then a 6.45.I knew then a PB was out of the window. Managed to dig in a bit and got back down to low 6.30's.

I know it was a good run but on reflection can't help feel I left something on the road. Maybe I need a change in mentality?

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Some excellent running and racing this weekend.
    6JT - good hilly long run.
    Jools - nice long run and weekly mileage.
    Leslie - cracking 10k and so close to sub 40.
    SB - good HM and pleased to hear you're sounding positive.
    PMJ - excellent effort - 17M @ MP is a good result.
    Lorenzo - congrats on a great HM - should fill you with confidence.
    OO - good pacing and a nice photo.
    Martin - cracking result and a very strong finish.
    Poacher - you're going to peak just at the right timeimage
    Ant / AR / Moof - know what you mean about Jantastic. Last year I fell into the trap of keeping on for the sake of logging those runs instead of a taking a couple of days off and ended up paying for it in the long run. I suggested that to MT that they might want to re-think and not penalise people for doing the sensbile thing - maybe that's what promted the joker system this year.
    SB - nice hilly LSR. Good luck at Fleet - do you have a target/plan?
    Speedy - wow, that's a cracking weekend and a stonking week for you.
    GM - you'll soon be back in the swing of things.
    KR - that was so close - surely not an ideal course for a PB, so I'm sure it will come soon.
    Not sure what the new job will do for my running routine - need to sort out the finer details over the next couple of days, including a start date! I'm thinking a week today.
    10 miles @ 8:36 m/m plus 10 subway slope sprints to start week 21.

• Options
    TR wrote (see)

PMJ - I like number 3, but I'm not sure about number 1. Although mental prep is important. 

I have run two marathons since 1992 so they are not frequent things. Admittedly, there was a spell from 1992 to 2011 when I ran zero marathons so this year will be my 3rd spring marathon in 4 years, but that is a low number.

In 2011 I targeted a fast 5000m/5k time and in 12 weeks I ran the distance 12 times. If you go out too fast or too slow in a 5k then all you do is adjust next week and life goes on. Go out too fast or too slow in a marathon and you don't get a second chance any time soon. For me, establishing what MP is is the hardest bit.

In 2011 it was easy, I was targeting a GFA place at VLM and so needed sub 3:15 (hence this thread) and I ran a low 82 half in training and got swept along at 6:30 pace for 5 miles, slowed to 86 at halfway and then 91 for 2:57.

In 2012 I could have played safe and aimed for at 2:55 and knocked a few minutes off but went for 2:50 and failed in the last couple of miles with 2:50:28.

This year I have done many more miles and got the long runs in and a lot more medium long runs but very little concrete evidence of speed. In autumn 2011 I did a 10 mile in 59:26 and last autumn in 61:35, so over 2 minutes down over 10 miles. I had a fast half in mind at Wokingham but that got cancelled so a fast starting 20 miler at the back end of a 70 mile week may not be ideal but it was the confidence boost I wanted and it ticked a lot of boxes for me.

Short week this week with he 12 stage relays on Sunday, then one last big week before the taper starts.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

A quick catch up first. Congrats to all the weekend racers who turned in a variety of impressive performances; KR, Martin, CC2, Sporty B, Lorenzo, GM & OO-51. Excellent work boys & girls.

Some good long runs in there too, notably PMJ.

Congrats to Gul on the new job, and healing vibes out to AR's heel.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Milton Keynes HM started off well enough, ticking off miles feeling strong and got to halfway in 44:15. Game on, I thought.

"No it fecking isn't!" replied my legs.

From mile 7 onwards, it was a death march. Still went through 10 miles in 69:xx, but by then was slowing badly, the legs were having none of it, and a frankly embarrassing last 2 miles saw me crawl over the line in 1:33:50 (provisionally). My slowest raced HM since September 2011, and pretty disappointed TBH. About 5 mins off what I genuinely think I'm capable of now, so a bit disillusioned with the whole running business at the moment. I'm putting it down to being in the middle of my first mara campaign and not having a proper taper, and consequently having a lot more miles in my legs than I usually would. No idea if there's any accuracy in that assessment, but I'm sticking with it!

As a result, I'm having major doubts about my ability to get anywhere near 3:15 in London too, and think I'll be much better off playing safer and going for 3:20 or even 3:25, and being far more conservative.  

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Took the gloss off an otherwise excellent weekend. Went to Franklins Gardens to see Saints - Sarries on Saturday, and then watched England - Wales post-race yesterday, which all added up to a pretty satisfying coule of days, race result notwithstanding!

And it's my birthday, so a year left in my 30s... image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Abbers: by the sounds of it you ran a half on untapered legs having had a busy afternoon the day before.  There's quite a lot of explanation for the performance tucked into that one short sentence, so I wouldn't abandon hopes of sub 3.15.  Don't be greedy on race day, but set off at 7.25s (think I've got that right) and take stock at 10M.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

What a great weekend of running!

KR - sounds like a good effort and doesn't mean you're not going to PB in the marathon.  I didn't PB at all last year in the build up and still knocked 5 minutes off my marathon time.

Jools - good to see the mileage creeping up and you going well.

Leslie - Great 10k PB - well done!

PMJ - those splits are sooooooooo fast.  Great run and you're going to fly around London.

Lorenzo - well done on the HM, Jantastic effort and tustling with an American on the way!

Ant - no you've not lost any fitness in 5 days!! lol

OO - you were very swift yesterday and looked as if you were enjoying it a bit too much.  I can't believe the giant left you though.  No respect!

So my 20 lap adventure yesterday.  The course was quite good but I thought it felt like a long mile with all the twists and turns.  There were 3 or 4 little bridges to cross with sharp bends after.  It was very pretty and the marshalls and support was really good with lots of encouragement and cheers.  The laps passed very quickly and the race seemed over too quick.....

My plan was 8m @ 8:20, 2m @ 7:50, 7m @ 7:20 and 3m, a bit quicker.  I ran the first 5 with someone else and it was very relaxed and chatty but a bit quicker than plan at 8:10.  When she started her MP miles then I pulled back a bit.  Miles 9 & 10 passed at 7:46 then I moved onto marathon pace.  This just felt too much of an effort and I found I was hovering around 7:30 - 7:40 pace and couldn't really pick it up.   I decided to have a loo break just before 15 miles and lost signal on my garmin and just after this it turned off - I mustn't have had it on charge.  It didn't matter really. 

I came though the finish area with 3 laps to go and I heard an official shout out, 'No71, 2 laps to go'.   I was sure I had 3 but thought they would rectify it next time round.  However, he then shouted 'last lap'.  I then couldn't think how many I'd done but I did think they were wrong.  Around for a last time and into the finish area where I was directed into the finish funnel.  Before I crossed the line I asked if they were sure I was finished and they said, yes definitely.  

Because of the laps and the way the laps snaked around it was very difficult to know where other runners were.  I looked for a couple who were infront of me and couldn't see they were finished.  Again, I went back to the finish officials and said that I thought I'd only done 19 laps but they showed the record of me coming through the finish 20 times.   Then the lady who I'd run the first 5 with, and who I knew was ahead, finished. 

Still awaiting results but I'm expecting a DNF.  So, bit of a shit run and a shit outcome but other than that it was a great day out!  The sunshine was lovely - in fact it was too hot at times.  A certain male runner was going around virtually naked!  Neither wonder I was struggling with my pace. image

I've got a great photo of me and OO, as many of you have probably seen on FB but I'll post it here later.

By the way, I'm not listening to any more whinging from from OO about his hip/calf/ego.  He's as fit and fast as any 20 year old! image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

x-post Abbers completely was Jools says. Don't lose the faith.  All my races are shit but I can usually pull it out the bag for the marathon.

• Options
    Minni wrote (see)
    There were 3 or 4 little bridges to cross with sharp bends after.  It was very pretty and the marshalls and support was really good with lots of encouragement and cheers.  The laps passed very quickly and the race seemed over too quick.....

How bad is your counting if you run 19 or 20 laps and can't count the bridgesimage

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Haha!  I was sure I'd run 19 laps but was told otherwise.  The bridges I'm not so sure about!

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Jools / Minni - of course, you're right, and I should really stop moping about it. Put it down to experience and move on. Can't lose focus on the bigger picture. It may also be that I'm better at a relatively slower 7:25m/m for 26.2 than I am at trying to hold 6:40m/m for 13.1. We'll find out soon enough!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Abbers: Lorenzo and I were discussing our performances and what might have been if a proper taper were employed. I could feel the marathon campaign miles in my legs yesterday and it cost me a PB, even on an unfriendly course.

It sounds like we have very similar targets. I'd love to go sub-3.15 and am somewhat bouyed by the result yesterday, all things considered but sub-3.20 feels more realistic. As I said yesterday, will I have the bottle to do 7.25s on race day?

I've just added the race to my Fetch stats and it's given me my highest ever WAVA rating of 70.59. I think I'm happy with that!

SB

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Bad luck mate but as Jools already said with a proper taper you could go sub 90. I have run two bad marathons and I have no idea what my marathon pace is. I could run 13-15 miles at 7:00-7:15mm pace without a huge degree of difficulty but have never had a proper build up to either marathon and was not 100% come race day, hence my poor perfomances for both of them. Hopefully you will be fully fit and 7:26mm pace (did you notice I gave you an extra 26 seconds over the duration) will be achievable. If not, then what will be will be, so try not to worry too much about it.image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Don't know if any of the faster thread members are interested in a late entry to VLM: you need to be sub 2.50 and be a guide for a blind sub-3 aspirant.  More details here: https://www.facebook.com/marathontalk.