Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Abbers, don't get too down about it. As you say it's untapered and you are doing your first mara campaign. Getting to 10 miles in under 7 minute mile pace has got to be worth something mentally.

I'm sure you will be able to fit the running in around your new job Gul. Like the subway sprints are part of your ritualimage

Interesting mutli lap race Minni. I guess there was a chip involved so they could work out the laps? Weird situation with the finish. Had you done a lot of mileage in the week leading up the race? Maybe this is why the MP felt tough? I think I would find that many laps hard to do at a certain pace.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Minni-Id lose count after about 10 laps so 20 when tired must be torture to keep count.

Abbers-1:33 half is still good enough for 3:15 with the right training just a temporary blip ,I intend to taper a bit for my half mara though or the wheels would probably come of before 10 miles .Not even 30 yet?  you have many years of mara pb's ahead.Next time as they say you should crack it.image

SB-another 1:25 half sounds very good to me even if its not as good as hoped image

My hip siezed up yesterday afternoon , I was dragging my right leg after me but a hot bath , stretch and a zip around tescos's this morn for the shop has freed it off again .10 easy miles @ 9m/miles followed .

That will teach me  to do a warmdown after a flatout sprint finish,  .image

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Abbers, given your youth you are too young to join Team Misery. Onwards with the training, and then the taper will work a little magic. My half marathons are poor relative to my marathon times. Keep going after the big prize image

Leslie, Good work on loosening the hip at Tesco. I think I may see if doing some heel drops at Waitrose helps.

• Options

Abbers- sorry to hear about your race yesterday! I never had a race nearby so opted for a 17 mile beach run instead. I guess it's all the mileage we have been putting in that made you die in the last few miles. Remember our shedule doesn't have us running at that pace for that long so don't beat your self up. I was 7;50 mm for my beach race but wind behind me most of the way. Put that race behind you and enjoy your next few weeks of 22, 20, 18, 12 and a delightful p.b regardless of time as its your first marathon. Chin up and happy birthday.....!

22 for me yesterday 11 at easy pace and 11 at mp. Turned out at 8:01mm thinking of heading for a sub 3:22 now and just grab a p.b and wait till lochness for a sub 3:20ish. Think the sub 3:15 is just out of reach....

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SB / GM / KR / AR / Rich / Leslie - Thanks for the positivity & encouragement. It really does help. And thanks to GM's extra second per mile, it all sounds much more doable again image  I might still start around 7:30s though, and see how I'm going at 15/16. Much to ponder.

Oh, and Leslie / AR - it's one year left in my 30s, not one year until I'm 30! 39 today.

4 easy miles to loosen the legs up a bit after yesterday. They grumbled a bit to start, but much better by the end. Back on the wagon.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Abbers -Happy 39th Birthday ,and don't worry its not downhill at 40 just look at all the fast old wrinklies on here for proof (insert appropriate smillie here if they ever feckin' worked except for that happy one ) Chin up image

Rich-one disappointing run doesn't mean much in training .

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers  - HAPPY B-day, I meant to say earlier! Any celebrations planned?

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie - plenty of V40s on here, I know, and they're all quicker than meimage  GFA drops by 10 mins too...

GM - nothing too extravagant. Taking Mrs A & the Ms As out for dinner tonight, then catching up with my brother & family next weekend, so it's all a bit spread out. Keeping the powder dry for something a bit more notable next year really, when both me and Mrs A hit 40.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Forgot to say happy Birthday Abbers! image  image

I'm out for a curry with some pals tonight and it's my turn to drive. A mate just emailed to say he's busy tomorrow and volunteered to drive instead. I...I...TURNED HIM DOWN! image

I said I would still drive as I have a big training week and need to be alcohol free until Saturday night. Never done that before. I love a beer with my curry and would usually snap an offer like that up every time.

I think I'm in some sort of zone...or obsessed...or both!

We are RUNNING MACHINES!!! GRRRRR!

Keep on keeping on, people!

SB

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Tarts – good long run – my Sat run was also hilly 22, but much (much) slower - nice 22 from Rich also
    Jools – well done on the fuzzy-headed 18 & a pleasing week’s total
    Leslie- ditto, with a PB to boot !  btw, for your info, I’m wrinkle-free !  
    SB & Lorenzo – fine half mara efforts – PB(-1) each is admirable
    Philip – 6:42’s not bad for a Death March ! Seriously, you must be very confident now for VLM if 1:22 half felt easy . . .
    Splendid 20 mile races also from Martin, Speedy (great weekend (good one at Inter-XC) & weekly total btw), OO (pleasing colour co-ordination with the shoes and kit, btw). Good 19 from Minni !  (very bad show by the officials if indeed you were a lap short) , and good 18 from Sandy B
    Abbers
    – what Jools said; fwiw, in my 26 campaigns I’ve had days like yours, then pulled a decent mara out of the bag (also the reverse !), so keep your mind on the main goal . Happy b’day btw . .
    KR – my mate ran Retford (he won the V60 by about 6 mins), but said he started to struggle in 2nd half. Don’t doubt yourself – many variables can affect a performance on a given day; I’m sure you’ll be good for Manchester.  
    TR- really hope you can make the start line on 13/04 – fingers crossed here for you
    AR – healing vibes to you too, & Poacher – remember – warrior, warrior . . . . .
    Ant - no fitness loss in 5 days  . . . . 

sorry if I’ve omitted anyone 

14 here this am, with 3 at “work hard(ish)” in the middle – felt reasonable after Sat’s 22 and yesterday’s 5 which concluded a 60 mile week. (60 seems to constitute a big week for me these days). Noakes states that those over 45 (!) , or those with 15-20 years of training & competition, should only aim to complete about 60% - 75% of any of the schedules presented in his tome. (These include Pfitzinger & Daniels).  I think I’m maybe higher than that (perhaps 80%), but would need to check my old diaries. Still getting the long runs in, it’s the harder efforts and overall miles that have decreased. 

Have a good week, all  

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Abbers - Many Happy returns - crack on, with a good taper you know you are there or there abouts.

Minni - that sounds pretty disappointing but good that yhou had a nice day out.

Gul - Great news on the Job front

SB - a decent half nevertheless!

Plenty of otehr  good running as always Lorenzo,Leslie KR et al.

I managed 20 in 2.19 yesterday with 14 at MP, all under 6.37mm. Felt Ok but it seems to be at the cost of another toenail.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I haven´t had any success with logging my Jantastic runs or getting into my email accounts image  If anyone wants to email them and tell them Mark Walker ran 3 times last week with a longest run of 7 miles feel free. I think we won´t be at 100% if they don´t get logged so sorry everyone! Stupid Tenerife holiday getting in the way. Time for more food and drink. Happy running image 

• Options

I just e-mailed them for you Mark. Hope they log them for you! A few others might want to try just to pressure them into submission.

Happy hols! 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I suspect all our results are late Minni because of your debacle! Legs feeling pretty good today by the way, but I'm taking a rest.

Menn, you ran faster in training than me in a race (or was it a race) image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - I think I got the wrong end of the stick, were you telling me that you think you could have run 20 at faster than MP or that you did do 20 at faster than MP ?

Abbers - a flat out 1/2 was always going to be a big ask, you have been doing lots of new things and training hard. You also need an easy day the day before an endurance race if you want to nail it. 7:25s will be considerably easier than 6:40 to 6:50 pace too.

GM - the streak is the last 6 VLMs between 2:51 and 2:55, similar-ish training will return similar-ish results, and I'm usually happy with the ROI I get. I dont commit to marathons the way lots of folks do (or like I would need to do to go 2:45ish).

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Yes OO I think you're right. I've been expecting an email all day but heard nothing. I'm wondering if I'm not the only one.
  • Options
    Just got this from jantastic after I emailed them for mark!

Hi Richard,

Sorry no we cannot enter people's runs manually unless there has been an error of our making.

Rick @ Jantastic

Sorry guys, I tried!
  • Options
    TR wrote (see)

PMJ - I think I got the wrong end of the stick, were you telling me that you think you could have run 20 at faster than MP or that you did do 20 at faster than MP ?

20@MP would be 2:10 and I did 2:09, so I did 20 at faster than MP but not all 20 were faster than MP if that makes sense.

5 mile recovery today at 8+ and felt much better afterwards, so was a recovery run. Have a 14 and a 17 and a track session and a race still to go this week, starting to want the end to come.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Abbers image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - I see, sounds ok then. But that was a tough effort so there's no reason why you cant bin any (or all) of those intended 14, 17, track session and race. You need to let your body soak up yesterdays effort, more than you need to tick boxes on a plan this week.

• Options

Happy Birthday, Abbers! Don't be dismayed by your race yesterday, as it was still a hard, quicker-than-MP effort. You're going into unknown territory and with all the hard work you've put in recently, maybe it's not altogether surprising that the result was not quite the one you had hoped for. keep plugging away and you'll see how MP on the day will feel easy...until 20 miles - from then on it'll be a case of how much you want it, whatever "it" is. Good luck!

Great miles from Rich and Birch.

Minni - Bizarreness; are you sure you didn't just lose count? Surely they control this kind of thing??

I got an email from Jantastic HQ today, saying this:

"Thanks for taking part in Jantastic. I'm afraid there has been a small error that has affected about 1% of users whereby their March target has not been captured. You are one of those people and as a result you may not have been able to log your runs for March yet".

O.k., but I played a joker this week and I don't think it's been recognised...

Legs still improving, at this rate i may be feeling quite good by the time VLM comes round.

9 with 5 x 600m planned for tomorrow. Looking forward to it, in a perverse kind of way!

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

OO-51 - was a nice and flat training run, but am reaping the rewards of an enforced taper and legs are feeling quite good, just need the aerobic side to catch up a bit!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Amazing- I could never go so fast on my own Menn.

Happy Birthday Abbers  

• Options

Mennania - I somehow missed your run - amazing effort; you are flying.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - don't be too disappointed with that performance - there were several factors not in your favour. Hope your 40th year has got off to a good startimage
    Minni - excellent racing - shame about the mix-up with the laps. Good job it wasn't your 'A' target race.
    Leslie - take care of your hip.
    Rich - good 22 miler.
    Birch - I've been doing far too much of my schedule according to Noakes then. Good MLR effort.
    Mennania - stonking MP run - looking very good.
    Badbark - doesn't look like they accepted Rich's email on your behalf image And I see Rich has confirmed that.
    PMJ - recover well from Sunday.
    Ant - enjoy your 5 x 600m.
    I was a bit reckless with 14 miler this morning. 13 miles progressive, from plod to 5k pace (8:55, 8:32, 8:21, 8:20, 8:08, 7:52, 7:44, 7:30, 7:13, 6:50, 6:29, 6:13, 6:05) and 1M cool-down (8:28).

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SB - impressive abstenance. Curry on a Monday? Good way to start the week!

Birch - thanks for the sage words, and good day's work from you to round off a big week.

Menn - very impressive MP section in your 20.

BB - even in Tenerife there's no escaping the madness! Hope you're enjoying your hols.

TR / Ant - I had a mini taper, taking Thurs/Fri off, but had already done 25 on Mon-Wed, including 10 @ MP on Tues, so certainly not as rested as I would normally have been for a flat out HM. I should really be pleased that a 44:15 1st half felt sustainable on fresher legs, and will focus on that for Autumn. Bigger picture now though - onwards & upwards. TR, hope you can bag the training you want in the next few weeks. Has work settled down at all?

SJ / OO51 - thanks image

PMJ - sounds like another hard week in P&D land. You deserve a great result at VLM.

Ant - good news that your legs are returning to normal. Hope today's intervals go well.

Gul - my 40th year seems much the same as my 39th so far! Very nice progressive MLR from you this morning. Some properly quick miles at the end there.

Feeling Sunday's effort a bit still, so will swap my Tuesday & Thursday sessions round this week on the basis that 6 inc 4 @ 7m/m is easier than 8 inc 5 x 1 mile.

• Options

8M incl. 5 x 600m this morning in glorious sunshine. Reps of 2:12, 2:10, 2:08, 2:10 and 2:08, an av. of 5:48mm. The dodgy left knee is totally fine. The outside of the right knee/calf is still a bit sore so I booked a sesión with the fizz on Thursday.

This will be a busy week - easy 5 tomorrow, 11 on Thursday followed by the fizz, then 17 on Friday, rest Saturday (oh, the decadence!) and a 10k on Sunday which I have just now entered. The only one I'm worried at all about is the 17 the day after the fizz. I would have done it on Thursday but time is against me.

Excellent progressive run, Gul! How did those last speedy miles feel?

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Gul: I think that's a briliant session. Well done! image

SB

• Options

Has anyone raced a marathon with a CamelBak? I know the obvious advice is not to wear one but I have been doing all my long ones with one this year with electrolyte drink in it. Maybe coincidently this is the first year I have not had cramp at all during long runs.

So now I'm worried if I don't take it I could get cramp. It doesn't bother me and gets lighter as you drink (I did A-Level physics!) but don't have time now to measure the difference between having it and not.

I can't see it making a massive difference to pace but wondered if any of you have any experience of it?

Ta, Si

• Options

Gul, you need to post that one on marathon talk, a 13 mile royal flush

Keeping in step with Ant, 5x600m today. Splits came out as 2:15, 2:14, 2:12, 2:12, 2:15 so a bit slower than Ant's, and I took 400m jog recovery instead of the normal 200 to ease the session.

Need to look at the 17 and 14, may do the 17 very easy tomorrow and not P&D paces.