Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

GUL-Nice hard progression over a long way 

ANT/PMT- Quality reps there.

18 miles for me this morn @ 8:34 /mile average. Not surprisingly after a race on sunday it felt way tougher than usual and I thought at one point I might pack it in and walk back but saw it through.Much needed rest day tomorrow after another 15 running days .image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Speedy stuff from Ant & PMJ. Impressive paces.

Leslie - that's a very nice distance for a work day! Well done on toughing it out after racing 2 days ago.

SJT - noe experience of racing with a CamelBak (or indeed training with one), so can't help you there. I've seen plenty wearing them though, even for HMs, so it's not uncommon. If you're comfortable wearing it, and it stops you from cramping, then might be worth a punt? Could save you more time than it would cost you to wear it, if you see what I mean.

On a related note, I've been doing some online research (dangerous, I know) about goose bumps & light tingling in my hands and face that I only ever get at around 8-9 miles of a HM (i.e. after prolonged intensive effort). It never happens on LSRs, tempo sessions, or shorter, faster runs, and doesn't happen every time I race a HM either. But it happened again at MK, so thought I'd look it up. Sounds like it's probably due to dehydration, which would also explain my usual struggles in the final 3 miles, so I think I'm going to have to make extra efforts to drink more during the race, even stop at drinks stations if necessary to actually get some liquid inside rather than up my nose, all over my face, etc. 

6 miles with the middle 4 in 27:48 ticked off. Felt like a bit of a cruise, so confidence coming back.

• Options

On the CamelBak subject, I saw the most amazing thing on Sunday at the 20 mile race. One guy had 2 gel belts and 2 water bottles: the sort which are designed to hold in your hand as you run, maybe called Run Bottles?

The only redeeming thing was that he had spotted the obvious flaw: a bottle in each hand means he can't do anything with his hands as he runs, so he enlisted a helper to run alongside him and he passed the bottles to him when he wanted a gel.

This was on a race with water stations every 2.5 miles so why carry water anyway?

• Options

Tarts - I would be surprised if you needed to carry anything during a race, what with all the water/drinks stations there usually are.

PMJ - People, innit?

• Options

PMJ, AVO - Yep there are plenty of water stations but my main reason is for the constant electrolyte intake. I don't know if that has what's stopped my cramping this year or it's just coincidence but now I'm thinking if it ain't broke.....

After careful deliberation I have decided to wear it I think as the Pro's outweigh the Con's to me:

Pro's

•  Sip whenever you fancy it
    •  Same drink as in training (can't find what drinks they have at Brighton)
    •  Don't have to slow down at water stops (10 seconds or so per stop)
    •  Constant flow of salts to stop cramp (main reason for me)
    •  Can take the uncongested fast lane around water stops
    •  No more looking like a spoon when you try and drink from cup and get approximately zero liquid in your mouth
    • If I blow it, I can blame the CamelBak

Con's

• Slows you down (2 secs per mile per pound, so they say) so looking at 3 or 4 secs per mile to start with, reducing throughout race.
    • Look like a plonker

Abbers - I get really strong tingling on the top of my head during long intense runs. Had it for a long time and am still here, so I just don't worry about it any more.

Brisk 7 miler this morning with middle 5 at 6:40 pace. Lovely with the sun rising!

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

"Leslie - that's a very nice distance for a work day! Well done on toughing it out after racing 2 days ago."

1st work-night Abbers ,could be a longun after today's efforts image

In a half mara ,I carry a bottle as the flimsy plastic cups you usually get you get a dribble to drink , and most over you or up your nose if you try to keep going fast .I drink every mile just a sip and I find it works for me.You do save a few secs at the water stations too as said .

• Options

SJT, I used to get a lot of cramps and have been taking magnesium, calcium and vitamin E and it seems to fix it. You really only need the magnesium but the others ware needed to get that to be absorbed.

• Options

Tarts - it's Gatorade in various flavours, so I'd try a couple and find out which one you like and stick with it. It's available at 5, 12, 19 & 24 miles (although what point it will be at 24 miles is open to debate). There are also High 5 gels in a range of flavours at 15 & 21 miles. Water is available in pouches at 12 stations at 3, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22.5, 24, 25 & 25.5 miles.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

BOTF, Interesting difference in approaches to support / aid stations between races. Here's the list of aid stations for the 50miler I'm doing at the end of March

DURING THE RACE

Refreshments 1 : Km 22 - Buc

Refreshments 2 : km 45 - Meudon (only water)

Refreshments 3 : Km 55 - Chaville

Refreshments 4 : Km 67 – Saint-Cloud National Park Estate

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

4 miles here to kick off another sh*t week.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers/PMJ - sounds like both of you have fresh legs already, that must bode well.

Abbers - still working long hours and weekends, I only have one training opportunity some days too, so I mustnt oversleep or it'll be gone. All very tiring really. 24 hours in a day just isnt enough.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    I carried a lucazade bottle for about 22 miles at Abingdon last year because I wasn't too sure if the drink supplied would be what I'm used to. I had a little sip every mile, the weather was pretty crap so only drunk about half a bottle.

I usually carry a rucksack on most of my weekly runs and it's a relief when running free at the weekends, don't think I'd bother with a camel back as it would get too hot and I'd want to be as light and as cool as possible.

Some great running going on Gul and Menannia in particular.

Abbers ( belated happy birthday) and KR don't be too down on your half Mara efforts, still great times and you'd never hit it on your own so all good training for the main event.

Just 5 miles for me today with a little bit of speed at about 6.05 pace for three miles. Warming up for my Jantastic 5k attempt this Saturday.
  • Options

Slokey, indeed, but you aren't going to get too many people who've done 3 runs down to the pub as their complete training and a bunch of guys in rhino costumes at your race. We had a guy came down the club last week who's doing Paris, and whan I asked him what training he'd been doing he said his longest run was a 10k, so he'd come down the club to sharpen up! Whoops.

Having missed my 20 on Sunday and having run once in 13 days I felt a bit better today so did the club session - 6 x 4 mins with 2 min recovery, and a decent hill on each rep. It was hard going but surprisingly fast at between 1040m - 1050m per rep except number 5 which for some reason was 1080m. Paces were 6:10, 6:13, 6:09, 6:10, 6:00 & 6:14 which I'm pretty happy with as that's only around 10 secs per mile off what I've done before on the same course when fit.

• Options

Stand out performance from Gul this morning. That's some progression - I'm pretty sure I couldn't finish off a 14 miler with a 6:05 mile. 

Tarts - after suffering really bad cramp on marathon no.5 (combination of heat, hills and going off too fast) I decided to use a Camelbak on a summer 30K and then again at Abingdon. It worked for me from both a physiological (i.e. no cramp) and a psychological (i.e. no worrying about cramp) perspective so might be worth giving it a go. The only other con I would add is the sound of constant sloshing of water so not great if you think you might need a loo stop en route!!

Abbers - belated happy birthday. Don't be too tough on yourself - maybe it didn't go 100% according to plan, but it was only one race and pretty much untapered. Have a look at the training sessions you did, rather than just one run in isolation.

FWIW, when I finally (at the 9th time of asking) cracked 3:15 I found it easier to divide the race into 3 mile chunks and aim for 22 minutes for each chunk.

This stopped me worrying unnecessarily about every single mile and (if it goes according to plan) you'll get to 21 miles in 7 x 22 = 154 mins and even allowing for a slowing down in next 3 miles (say 23 minutes) means you'll be at 24 miles in 177 (i.e. 2hrs 57) which leaves you with a decent buffer for the last 2.2 miles to get under 3:15. 

7.4 miles this morning with 12 x 30s bursts. 8 easy on the schedule for tomorrow but depending on how I feel I may make it up to 10.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    I had to read your racing strategy again Lorenzo, I got a little confused when I ran out of fingers.
  • Options

Moof - I didn't want PMJ to feel he had a monopoly on numbers.image Besides, I always find the miles go quicker when you spend most of your time doing all the mental maths about what pace is needed to hit a time of x!!! 

On a completely different subject, I've managed to get my arse in gear this year and book tickets in good time for various Shakespeare performances at the Globe over the spring / summer - looking forward to a quadruple bill of Antony & Cleopatra, Titus Andronicus, Julius Caesar and a Comedy of Errors. image

I wonder what distance the great Bard would have been good at?

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    In the Merry wives of Windsor, the bard bloke says "better three hours too soon than a minute too late". Which is relevant to all those trying to crack the 2.59.59 barrier...
  • Options

Poacher - does that mean if you're not going to go sub-3 then you're better off not even starting?

5 miles easy this morning. Foggy.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Ant - good set of reps - pleased to hear the knee is OK. Re yesterday's progressive run: I felt OK until the end when I was gunning for a sub 6 to finish with and struggled to maintain pace over the last half a mile.
    PMJ - I made a terrible pun about a royal flush on rate your run a couple of weeks ago. Probably too late to post this one.
    Leslie - good 18 miler just after a race!
    Abbers - good brisk running - nice to hear you sounding a bit more confident.
    6JT - nice 7 miler - never used a camelbak.
    Moof - what's your target for the 5k? (too lazy to check on Jantastic!)
    BOTF - good speed work.
    Lorenzo - I meant to comment on something you said in your race report (I think it was yoU!). Something about only having a watch so just running to feel? That's how I usually run! For me running to feel is running without checking my watch for mile splits until afterwards.
    Poacher - like the quote!
    A bit foggy here too and just 4 recovery miles.

• Options

Gul - yes, as someone who's a bit of a control freak and wants to know what's going on, I've found it rather disconcerting but also liberating to run without having all the numbers to hand. As I'm still waiting for my Garmin to come back, unless I borrow Mrs L's Garmin (which is the basic 110) the only figure I know when I get back is the total run time and distance. In a race you've obviously got the mile markers so have an idea about cumulative pace but nothing more.

Opted for 8 rather than 10 miles this morning because of time constraints - 3 decent uphill stretches but overall nice and relaxed. Misty, rather than foggy, looking out over the vineyard.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Ant. No, all mara finish lines represent a small victory.
  • Options

BOTF - Thanks for the water stop information. Very useful, I couldn't find that anywhere, will do my last few long runs with Gatorade and see if I have any issues. Good club session btw!

Lorenzo - Thanks, nice to know someone else has raced with one with no major issues. By the way, if when you have filled the camelbak up, turn it upside down and suck the air out before you pack it, this way you don't get any swooshing!

8 miles easy today. Whoop.

• Options

Lorenzo, The Bard was clearly a short distance man, he never uses the word marathon once in all his worksimage

In Taming of the Shrew, Hortensio says: "He that runs fastest gets the ring." so he clearly prefers speed to endurance.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJT - good for mental prep to have made a decision, saves worrying about it for the next 4 weeks! If it helps with confidence, then it has to be worth the slight extra effort.

Leslie - hope your first night back on wasn't too bad!

SJ - ultras are a bit of a different game though, aren't they? A bit more reliant on self-sufficiency?

TR - the legs grumbled a bit to start, but loosened up OK. A couple of hot spots on my feet, but not bad enough to produce blisters, so they'll go soon enough. Really hope you manage to find the time and fitness to get some longer runs done and toe the line.

OO-51 - sounding down?

Moof - "a little bit of speed" with 3 x 6:05 miles! image

BotF - sounds like a good session and not too much fitness lost.

Lorenzo - you're right, of course, like everyone else image  It was just the disappointment in the immediate aftermath that bugged me. Water under the bridge now, and will take the training benefit. Love the Bard. Unusual to find a production of Titus; I've always thought Quintin Tarantino would produce a good adaptation of that! Good morning run from you too.

Quite fancy an Ant & Gul recovery run, but have 10 to do instead later on.

• Options

Poacher - I didn't mean I thought that was your interpretation of the quote, rather that the Bard himself thought that, thus persuading himself to just go straight to Chandos and forget about the actual running bit.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Gul - The progressive run was one of my favourites and am looking forward to doing one after Paris

Nice reps BOTF, Ant and PMJ

SJT - as youve said, if it aint broken dont fix it.

14 for me tonight, not particularly looking forward to it from a time constraint point of view.

Did the 5 x 600 session last night and chose to not look at the watch and give it the full bifftas - all came out in the 1.55 - 1.59 range off a minute or so recoveries. Although it was actually 595.5 m as I had the watch set to statute not metric.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Nice paces on those reps Menn. Hope the 14 fits in with life without too many issues!

10 easy ones done here at something over 8m/m.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Howdy y'all.

Abbers - Good to see you nailing the sessions and have gotten over the disappointment you felt re your half. Keep it going you're doing well.

Menn - You've got some serious speed in them there legs! Great reps and you're long run the other day was superb too. Looking good for Paris. Please remind me of the target again?

Gul - Outstanding prog run and I had wondered if you had tried for the sub 6 last mile. Very impressive stuff. Did you settle on MP?

Lorenzo - I liked your mental approach to nailing the sub 3:15. 9 times though before you cracked it, proves you don't give up easy!

TR - Sorry to hear about the work situation, similar here but I can work from home so not so bad. Is it likely to subside soon?

Piddly ticking miles at the mo which I am reasonably happy with. 3 last night @ 6:50 pace and then 3.11 today @ 7:23 pace. Felt very warm out there today, spring has definitely reached here. This time last year we were covered in the white stuff then London was glorious. Wonder what the weather will bring come VLM. On an aside, Mo Farah is runnig the New York 1/2 as part of his prep for VLM. That will be interesting. I wonder if he will race it full on and try break the 60 minutes.

Now I need to go find that race list and update my up and coming races.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers/GM - work should settle down in April.

I have less tightness in my calf now, and can run on it without it spasming (Monday it was still spasming at the start of the run), so its sh*t or bust week. With 12M Monday and 18M nice and early today. I usually miss a week with a calf strain and then ease the running up, but I dont have time for that, after 2 weeks of flu and a 2 week slow build up in February. So its a lots of running up and down a 2M stretch (in case I need to stop and walk home).

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Actually Ant that's a good point. "Gan straight doon tha booza", as we say locally.

See you (all) there

GM the list is on page 1710.

Menna - running hyfrid iawn! You are on fire