Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pTIVGIXJ9oI/UyV69iQ8shI/AAAAAAAAAuc/xhcGck9PNHQ/s1024/bff.png

PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Toe fine, thanks for all the good vibes, that and ibuprofen have done the trick. I don't mind ibuprofen but try and not race when  I am having it as I am concerned it will mask the pain and force complications, so none today and I am fine.

Trying to plan next week. P&D has my last 20 and as  I have done 20@MP I just want a nice easy one: time on the feet, views etc. Is anyone in my neck of the woods doing the same and want to share? AR?

Nice work on the Team GB thread PMJ image

Can't share the 20miler with you unless you fancy doing it on an elliptical! I managed  just over 2 hours today rotating between Treadmill, Elliptical, and Rower. SJ would be proud of my transitions.

20 miles is also a long way- last one was October last year!

I'm hopeful for 3 runs this week coming. Plan is to do the 3 quality Hanson's sessions and let the achilles rest by rowing on the other days. Next Sunday is supposed to be a 26.2km MP run - we will see. 

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Great result Speedy. ... and it is great to hear you running so well compared to last years VLM

• Options

Well done Speedy - that's a great time, and even more so in those conditions. Recover well - are you doing any more races before VLM?

I do feel quite positive because though the time wasn't what I'd hoped for I ran quite focussed and was never on the limit (and maybe that's the problem). In the end I was only 11 seconds off a pódium finish!! I'm going to do one more 10k, in two weeks' time, but it makes this one look pancake flat so anything sub-40 will do.

Looking to do a really decent week this week, then it's taper time!

Did I mention I bought my VLM shoes?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - good persistance on the indoor aerobics ! no idea what that picture is all about though !

KR - Calf is ok to run on now, usually takes about a week. I get some swelling in my lower shin/ankle through the day, but its due to the damaged area being slow to drain fluid.

Backed up Wednesdays 18, and Fridays 18 with a slow 21M today, so thats shit or bust week completed. Leg was a bit sore at the end, but then I only had one long run to my name in the previous 5 weeks, 4 long runs in 6 weeks sits much better !

• Options

Tr- great your back running! Hope it all falls into place for you and the leg amends!

Great running from everyone today, taper time!

21 and change for me today, 8:05 mm avge, few mp miles thrown in last 5 to get a feel for it. Rolling hills and v windy, good training run! Stiff now though! Stretch needed.

Yhsif, mp feels fine, but not tested it out on a proper LR, did 11 last week and was okay. Just need a confidence boost! 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Ant: sounds like a tough course and so you are where you need to be, fitness-wise.

As I've said on the sub-3 thread, well done, Speedy.  Running over 10km @ 6.18m/m and it feeling comfy is very encouraging.  

Mids Road Relays for me.  11s down on my time from last September, but on tired legs I'll take that and (despite having a slow coach like me on the team) we still managed team silver.  15M for the day to bring up 59M for the week. 

• Options

Speedy - congrats. Sub-85 on a windy course is great going.

Well done too on the silverware for Jools

Ant - that's not too shabby, and wonderful to hear the positivity in your voice.

Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Lorenzo - Easy now, there's still four weeks to sharpen up, and don't forget the power of the safety pin. Don't start fiddling with that target time. 

I'm in 2 minds - original target was sub 3:10 and I'd be very happy with that, but part of me is wondering whether close to 3:05 would be possible and if so, what pace shouId set off at? If (and it's a big if) I deliver sub-3:05, then who know what Stockholm would bring?!

13.5 miles on tired legs for me this morning to go and marshall (standing on a mini-roundabout stopping traffic to let runners cross the road - only one irate motorist telling me I was doing something illegal!) and cheer on Mrs L who completed her first ever 15 mile run/race inside her target time.

With elder Lorenzito winning at rugby (something of a rare occurrence this season) this afternoon, it's been a darn good weekend all round. image

• Options

12 stage relays for me today.

Our team was very weak this year so I was on a long leg (normally fastest 6 do long legs and slowest 6 short legs) and the plan was 5 mile sat 6 m/m pace and it came out as 6.01 or 6.02 so I'll take that. By the time I ran the runners were spaced (and that was only leg 5, but 16 miles into the race) and it was essentially a time trial. One runner on my schedule passed me but I had a big swarm of fast runners a full lap ahead pass me and sort of slid off them gently as a way of getting some pull along and steady stream of women to overtake as well.

Seeing as I couldn't walk on Friday with the gout I'll take that. Short week, 48 miles, so a big week, 68, next week before the taper.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Decent 10k Ant, always nice when you know there is more in the tank.

Yhsif- welcome to the thread, sounds like you are in good company with that level or training

Very good time Speedy- I'd take that at the moment. You didn't fancy the  Northumberland half today?. A club pal of mine (bit slower than me) took 1st V50, so looks like I passed on a prize there.

Those are massive miles TR- hope you come through safely.

My effort was a 20 mile plod compared to the time you guys are putting in. 5 miles warm up at 9:30 pace and then 15 in the range 8:30-45. So 3 hours on feet in very windy conditions. Brings the week to a close with 54 miles. It's 3 weeks to Paris so I should start a taper, but I fancy another 50 this week before I hit the brakes.  

• Options

OK, here it is, the crop top I never thought I'd wear!

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1932208_10151958463422097_624037888_n.jpg

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice one Ant, PMJ, Speedy, yhsif and others

Time to keep one's nerve

50m this week and a 110m fortnight. All a bit late though.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Londoners! Anyone want to join me for 5x1200m on regent's park track some time on Wednesday? I can nip out from the office at most hours but would need to be done by 6pm.

I think I get the slow running prize this weekend, for 17 miles averaging slower than 9m/m..  but I'm not going to freak out over that. I ran a hard 11 miler mid-week, and have a few easy days coming up.  I reserve the right to freak out another time.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Rich - congrats on the 5k PB and a good LSR.
    Moof - excellent parkrun. Sub 18 is definitely in reach.
    Is RJ running VLM this year?
    Yhsif - welcome to the thread. Sounds like a lovely place to do your last long run.
    SB - nice LSR.
    Lorenzo - looking very good - should be on for a fast time in London. I started at 3:30 on Saturday, so probably got up about 3:15.
    Leslie - good week's running.
    Ant - that's a great effort even if it wasn't quite the result you were looking for.
    Speedy - congrats on the PB - sub 85!
    AR - good session - how's the achilles?
    TR - that's some week! Hope the calf is OK.
    Arrggghhh! Run out of time as I have to get ready for work now. 10 miles inc. 10x100m to start the week for me.

• Options

Gul - is tokay the first day in the new job? Hope it goes well. Up at 3.15 and out by 3.30 is just insane!!!

Forgot to mention that yesterday's run rounded off a 63 mile week. Am planning on a 2 week taper after a 23 (easy) long run next weekend and an 18 (hard) the weekend after.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Morning all

South Yorks HM y'day - 2 undulating laps, not too bad except for long drag of a hill which came roughly between mile 4-5, then 10-11, and was straight into a fierce headwind. The times I needed to hit according to McMillan,to have a shot at 3:30 at Manchester are 67:30 for 9 miles (recorded 66:30 at Norton 9 a fortnight back, and 1:39 for HM. Y'day's official time 1:38:47. Coincidentally I went through 9 in exactly 66:30. Faded a bit from about 10, but hadn't really eased down (10.5 Friday, session of 600's thurs evening). 51st from 266 finishers - incredibly 2nd V55 - must have been a weak field (although also behind a V65 who ran 1:34:06). So, I seem to be roughly in the right area to have a shot at the goal.  Fingers x'd for a calm day  . . . . . .
    Pleased to see Ant still on top of the game, Speedy in form (also notwithstanding the winds), and TR - how are the legs today after the sh*t or bust efforts?  

Have a good running week, everyone  . . . . 

• Options
    marrows wrote (see)

Londoners! Anyone want to join me for 5x1200m on regent's park track some time on Wednesday? I can nip out from the office at most hours but would need to be done by 6pm.

I have the same 5 x 1200 on Wednesday and reckon I can get to Regents Park in 4.5 miles so it may make the 11mile session a bit long but that is fine by me. I can do any time lunchtime so at the park between 12:30 and 1:30 would be best.

You do know the track there is short, 386.8 metres. Rumour has it that it is an old Roman chariot race course and not lazy workers.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Top efforts Speedy, Yhsif, Ant, PMJ, Birch and many more.

Managed to be silly over the weekend and change a 6 mile easy run into a progressive which in turn compromised Sindays 20 miler. Messed up my gel so it exploded all over me and felt somewhat sick by the end of it - on a positive got a suntan as the sun was on my for the whole just under two and a half hours.

3rd 20 in 3 weekends and last of the campaign (probably)

Lorenzo - I am stuck on my target time too - was hoping to get a shot at 2.49.xx but not 100% confident that is still on after the lay off. Probably looking to get to halfway on the faster target and be prepared to slow down if needed and accept a big positive split which should still give me my second target. 2.54.xx.

TR - thats a fair week right there!

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning thread,

Well done to all the long runners; Gul, Sporty B, Leslie, Marrows, Menn.

Good doubling up with 5k/LSR from OO51, Rich & Moof - congrats on the podiums and PBs, as appropriate.

Welcome to Yhsif and sounds like a challenging 20 miler!

Glad that Minni's lapping has been sorted, and has resulted in a prize image

A big weekend from Lorenzo, and his family's varied sproting endeavours.

Glad the toe's OK PMJ and good effort in the relays.

Ant, that's still a very respectable time over a less than ideal course, and most importantly, niggle-free. Good stuff.

CC2 - stunning PB in the conditions. Sub-85, 3rd lady on a windy day & hilly course? Must be the power of the crop top!

AR - 2 hours of indoor cardio should keep you ticking over.

TR - big catch up week there. Feeling positive?

Jools - good effort in the relays, congrats on the silver. Good weekly mileage too.

Birch - another with a very impressive race. Bang on target.

Rest day for me on Saturday, and then 21.5 early yesterday in exactly 3 hours to bring up a 53 mile week. I'll be filling in PMJ's spreadsheet in due course; I'm on the massed ranks on the blue start, being a ballot runner pleb, but can't remember my number off hand.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Birch-nice half mara, a 3:30 mara looks in reach.

Speedy, sub 85 half and now dressing like an elite, sounds promising.

Menn-well done for sticking it out 

Abbers- nice 21.5 and good mileage week.

7 easy miles this morn (9:10 average ) was out for 10 but sacked it as my legs were smashed  and I could barely get going.

• Options

/members/images/83537/Gallery/1743591_654499271283546_1215092553_n.jpg

Grunt! Grunt! Grunt!

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie - sounds like the right decision. Won't do any harm, and might have saved some effort for later in the week.

Ant - good to see the Team GB vest getting another outing!

4 easy ones ticked off. Legs started to feel a little more normal about halfway through, having been a bit cranky since yesterday's longest LSR of the campaign. 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

/members/images/396841/Gallery/SYorks2014_0.jpg

A little more rural where I was, Ant  . . . . .

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Abbers: very similar experience to me. Today I did a 4 mile recovery that was rubbish for the first 2 miles. My legs are in a right mess at the moment. I think I need a sports massage. Will try the foam roller tonight.

Fortunately the last 2 miles were a lot better but the fatigue is still apparent.

OO - have you done Paris before? I did it last year, great fun!

SB

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nice 10k there Ant and great photo.

Speedy HM Speedy and cash and a PB to boot.  Not a bad day out.

Good to see you getting back in there TR and just in the nick of time.

Good 21 backed yesterday Rich and Abbers.

Well done to Mrs Lorenzo!

Smoking relays PMJ and Jools.

OO it was windy yesterday.  Great long run banked there.

Poacher - are you feeling better?

Gul its starting to get a bit lighter now in the mornings, or is it still dark when you finish?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I had an epic fail yesterday.  image 

Didn't feel 100% last week and the working week was the busiest of the year as its budget setting time.  This coupled with the growing anxiety of a daughter waiting for Uni offers and also passing her driving test mid week drove me to wine on Friday night - and lots of it!!

The Northumberland half is hilly and last year I was just under 1:33 in the snow so set 1:32:50 as my Jantastic target.  One the day it was blowing a gale and I figured the nice flatter sections were going to be straight into a headwind so was prepared for my target to be a little off.  However, I set off and felt slow from the beginning.  I just couldn't really get going and my hip, hammy, glute all started to ache by about mile 4. 

I ended up in a group of about 6 or 7 runners and we all pushed each other along nicely but I was way off where I wanted to be.  Around mile 8 I decided I was going to defer London and started to hatch plans for the rest of the running year.  This passed a few miles in a more positive frame of mind.   Finally finished some 5 minutes slower than where I wanted to be.   I guess I could call it a MP run but it didn't feel like it.

Anyway, I've now had time to reflect and had a long talk with coach about London and we've decided to take this week very easy with more stretching and rollering than running, then put in a hard week next week followed by a 2 week taper. I've got an appointment with the physio for some more zapping but he's on holiday for 2 weeks so have to wait.

/members/images/46278/Gallery/Northumberland_HM_2014.jpg

• Options

Minni, so London is still on, or do  I misread that?

If it is photo time, here I am from yesterday. I have decided many photos of me look odd as I don't move my arms, right arm is always froward, so I can have right arm and leg both forward. This one isn't too bad as the left leg sort of matches the right arm.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UOz-z69Ys0U/UydQGbqohHI/AAAAAAAAAvE/vkAk_i2EWcY/s720/12stage.png

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Minni don't forget your hard 20 (19) last Sunday let alone the booze. The Giant also had a bad outing in Northumberland- I think it's hard to do well 2 w/ends in succession.

Birch, looks like hard work....

After my easy 20 yesterday the legs felt good so I ran a fast 10 today, averaging 7:45, but 2-3 around 7 (my race pace). I'm planning a hard week then hit the brakes next week, 2 weeks before Paris. Sporty it's my 4th Paris marathon. My course PB is 3:05 so that's my target. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

lots of photo's, must have been cold where CC was racing judging by the white underlayer under her vest !

Minni - I do wish you'd give up on running 1/2s in a campaign build up.

Birch - legs a bit tired, but I biked and swam ok today. I have sore spot on my shin where the damaged area was, but then its not a surprise I guess. Quite surprised that I managed to do those 3 runs in 5 days (esp with the middle one having a BAC session in it) after only 1 one long run in the previous 5 weeks, but the body adapts well I guess.

Abbers - still going well at your end. Confident I can get round (if I havnt set myself back in the last week), no idea of how fast but I know what MP should feel like on that course.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

What a lot of selfies...

Minni - you are a warrior, one day is nowt to worry about, think about the big pic

Ant, nice grunting, but you lose marks for lack of orange-ness in your kit

Birch - without temping fate I think it's close to being in the can and you can do the time you want

Menna - you can certainly do it too

As the days get longer will Gul be getting up before he goes to bed?

I talked to a colleague on Sat who is running Paris fairly soon and currently has a longest LR of 10m. Tried not to use the term "crash'n'burn", but it was a struggle

Worked like a dog much of last week, turning in at 0300, catatonic this morning but managed a decent 11m tonight, i.e. didnt hate every minute of it. It feels like running along Rubbish Road for months might be at an end and the turning into Mojo Street could be in sight. It's all a bit late though. VLM target will be not to burn any matches.

Back to Africa training camp this week and REALLY hoping Charleston Girl will be there with her bizarre hand waving stuff in the gym.

Have a good week all, don't get ill or injured now

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Great action shots in the sun from Speedy, Ant, Birch, Minni & PMJ.

OO - sounds like a good 2 week plan & a great confidence boosting 10 today.

Abbers - 21.5 is a decent long effort. Glad to hear that an easy 4 has sorted out the crankiness.

TR - great block of training there.